• 9 Replies
TheEyeOfMusiK
TheEyeOfMusiK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Imperfection at it's finest. Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 09:46 AM

Only website I know with bias mods. You ban somebody off of "He Say, She Say" or sampling?

So... what about the people who sample video games (in the video game section)

Quick question.. How does Newgrounds.com or any mod know if you have the right/permission to sample a song?

And how much evidence must be accumulated to get banned?

There's unofficial artist and official artist, what about the official artist that do things by the book?
I've talked to a couple people about it and alot of official artists are leaving this website because of the system.

So what about those rappers who rap on industry instrumentals? They don't get the copyright infringement?
Or producers who sample vocals on a hook and make a beat from it?

And if you try to pull the "It's for promotional use" card.. then why can't producers who sample do the same?

Is it because we chose to upload music to this website that degrades our credibility/value as an artist to be doubted for getting rights from a company to sample their work? (That's what I'm starting to think)

There's so many holes in ya'll system, I think it's bout time to patch em up, do some revamping, or get some better mods that actually understand music and copyrights.

Imperfection at it's finest.

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Imperfection at it's finest. Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 09:52 AM

At 2/27/13 09:46 AM, TheEyeOfMusiK wrote: There's so many holes in ya'll system, I think it's bout time to patch em up, do some revamping, or get some better mods that actually understand music and copyrights.

Ok, but not today

SUCK MY KICK

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Imperfection at it's finest. Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 10:17 AM

At 2/27/13 09:46 AM, TheEyeOfMusiK wrote: Only website I know with bias mods. You ban somebody off of "He Say, She Say" or sampling?

You'll get banned/have your tracks removed for sampling copyrighted material. I haven't seen anyone get banned due to hearsay only.

So... what about the people who sample video games (in the video game section)

Same. People have been reported and had their tracks removed for it.

Quick question.. How does Newgrounds.com or any mod know if you have the right/permission to sample a song?

If you have the rights or permission you can use the author comments to state that. If you don't do that, or if you're sampling a very well known song, it's reasonable to assume you don't have those rights. It's up to you to convince the mods/admins.

And how much evidence must be accumulated to get banned?

No evidence must be accumulated at all, you don't have the right to a due process. If the mods are convinced you're using copyrighted material the track will be removed.

There's unofficial artist and official artist, what about the official artist that do things by the book?
I've talked to a couple people about it and alot of official artists are leaving this website because of the system.

Official and unofficial artists isn't a thing. Any artist who does things "by the book" is fine, of course. If this lot of artists is leaving, that's up to them. I can't say I've noticed any mass exodus from Newgrounds yet, though.

So what about those rappers who rap on industry instrumentals? They don't get the copyright infringement?
Or producers who sample vocals on a hook and make a beat from it?
And if you try to pull the "It's for promotional use" card.. then why can't producers who sample do the same?

They will get banned on Newgrounds. Such are the rules. Copyright law is irrelevant.

Is it because we chose to upload music to this website that degrades our credibility/value as an artist to be doubted for getting rights from a company to sample their work? (That's what I'm starting to think)

I don't really understand this mess of a sentence, but I believe I've made my point.

There's so many holes in ya'll system, I think it's bout time to patch em up, do some revamping, or get some better mods that actually understand music and copyrights.

Look, Newgrounds has no obligation to accept all tracks that don't violate copyright law. This is like accusing a private forum of undermining your right to free speech when you get banned from posting. The rules, which are perfectly consistent, are as they are because Newgrounds has had copyright troubles before and doesn't want it again. It's not even particularly strict. Some sites don't even allow covers, and you'll find far more arbitrary decisions being made on Youtube, for example.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Imperfection at it's finest. Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 11:37 AM

At 2/27/13 10:23 AM, Buoy wrote: For the record

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/terms-of-use /audio-guidelines

To be faire, I find Newgrounds is quite fair when it comes to copyright. If you didn't make it, don't upload it without explicit permission. Quite simple.
And yes, Youtube is much worse, I've had completely original music blocked from being monetized by them even after I gave substantial proof of ownership.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Imperfection at it's finest. Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

At 2/27/13 11:37 AM, MetalRenard wrote: If you didn't make it, don't upload it without explicit permission. Quite simple.

Not that simple, people have different opinions about making a thing.
I made a song, but I didn't use my drums. Someone else made a song, but used a melody of a videogame; someone else again made a cool dancefloor track, but the bassline was copied... etc.

There was a guy here who said a cool thing about making things, like we never make things (you produce music with pc? you didn't make your pc, etc)

SUCK MY KICK

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Imperfection at it's finest. Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 12:48 PM

FYI, the whole NG hiphop community hate you very much.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Imperfection at it's finest. Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 01:02 PM

At 2/27/13 12:48 PM, Elitistinen wrote: FYI, the whole NG hiphop community hate you very much.

Yes.

Maybe its you that need to change, not everyone else

lel

Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Imperfection at it's finest. Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 01:11 PM

Learn to make your own beats instead of using copyrighted stuff. Any dumbass with a DAW can do it, and if you do it for a few months you might even start getting good at it. And if you do just so happen to get permission to use copyrighted stuff in your music but you get your track deleted for it, then just convince us audio moderators and we can get it republished.

So what's the big deal?

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Imperfection at it's finest. Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 02:05 PM

Everything that needed to be said has been said.

Bottom line, we have rules for a reason, if you don't want to follow them, that's your problem, not ours.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature