desert116
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 07:20 PM Reply

09'ers smell funny.
Transformer is the best mod.

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 07:32 PM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:56 PM, supergandhi64 wrote: 2007 users get their cue and can now act out what they've rehearsed so many times in anticipation of this day

--supergandhi64

And now I'll step in.

Bigbadron used to be a big deal, EyeLovePoozy too, both were two trolls who just so happened to be mods. Bigbadron actually ended up deleting my original accounts "EvilConker" "GoodConker" and "NeoConker" which I supported with rather shitty .gifs of conkers in those scenarios.

Otherwise, there was the Sirtom 'scandal,' Wade used to be much more hated then he is now - he's pretty much just an old man now (lol) and there was a large controversy when a user made a flash that insulted his wife, which made him go apeshit and ban him (even though it was supposedly freedom of speech.)

Mods in general used to be a bigger deal, right now I can't really count the mods off the top of my head, but they used to be as corrupt as the seven seas. They would BASK in their power, literally, and had a very, VERY, small tolerance.

Tom also used to be God, I remember when I first met him in PAX East my heart stopped, compare that to the next year where I barely talked to him and the year after that where I trolled him for luls and he lolled back.

I think there was a big thread about some crazy dream a user had about Tom Fulp, encountering him in a store or something. It had a LOT of posts.

Photoshop threads also used to be MUCH more prevalant.

Before the advent of User Pages, literature was posted in the General Forum. So what ended up happening was that there were these HUGE threads with these ongoing chapters in them, where users would chip in and writers would get a lot of exposure. Sadly, that died when the mods decided to ban it because 'stories belonged on the user page.'

For better or worse, I suppose. I think one big one had a military version of the BBS, "a call to arms" or something like that.

Life wise, ParagonX was basically the only musician with a nickle to her name. The talent pool used to be MUCH smaller, mostly on the idea that only a few users could be 'famous.' Meetups also began popping up around 2007/2008, and that's when popularity started spreading about.

Also, there used to be a LOT of portal spam. The clock crew were very prevalant, as well as the Locks, Socoms, Kitty Krew, and Stars. I actually ended up forming an "anti-spam" group called The Rebellion which crashed terribly, but was a good shot in the dark.

I think the NG Police Brigade still exists, but they're as useful as rocks.

Stamper never got around to updating that "some user account thingy here" text at the bottom of the NG Layout, which would replace the "sign up" text when browsing while not logged in.

There's a lot of other stuff, but I'd need key terms to shake up my memory. Feel free to ask for specifics, just quote me so I can see it.

I guess a testament to how the forums have changed has been that I JUST reached 5k a few days ago, which used to be a huge deal - the important thing is that most of those 5k were done a WHILE ago, and I've only recently began 'posting' again.

It's the only way out!

Drinze
Drinze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 08:13 PM Reply

At 2/26/13 04:59 PM, Dromedary wrote:
there was also a guy who deleted his system 32, but i can't find the thread

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/859607

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 2/26/13 08:13 PM, Son-of-Gerad wrote:
At 2/26/13 04:59 PM, Dromedary wrote:
there was also a guy who deleted his system 32, but i can't find the thread
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/859607

huh, guess psycho's posts got deleted. shame, that was a hilarious thread

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
PotHeadParadise
PotHeadParadise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 10:39 PM Reply

Shit this website has history? I missed out then. Man.

Smoke. Sleep. Life. "Inhale the good shit exhale the bullshit" - Your peaceful dude PotHeadParadise

Peace And Love For A Better World

BBS Signature
Onepiece285
Onepiece285
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 10:47 PM Reply

If you don't remember the old Paltalk rooms, you don't know SHIT about the BBS.

\\\Da Blackhawks\\\--///Dancing preteen butts///--\\\2014 NHL Playoffs Discussion\\\--///Dancing Psyduck Dauntly Reaching///

BBS Signature
Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 11:32 PM Reply

At 2/26/13 10:39 PM, PotHeadParadise wrote: Shit this website has history? I missed out then. Man.

These forums have been around for over a decade. A history is bound to exist.

Nickisabi
Nickisabi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 12:20 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 02:05 PM, Natick wrote: does anyone else remember when poozy still worked here

That mod was put in charge of banning me every week. Cool guy though.

Bend over you naughty piece of shit.

BBS Signature
elementell
elementell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 12:38 AM Reply

Around 2006-2009, I spent all of my time on these forums, and in the ever so popular at the time chat medium Paltalk. In 2007 I was 12 years old, without newgrounds I probably wouldn't be the cynically sarcastic insincere guy I am today. Maybe I would've gone out and gotten a life, rather than trying to impress some 16 year olds with too much free time. I look back every now and then at these forums with disdain, newgrounds has taken from me what nothing else could; that is my will to give a fuck, because giving a fuck isn't cool.
Anyways, to answer your question, it was alright. At the time I felt like there was more continuity in the people that posted, and there was a stronger sense of togetherness. It was probably just because I knew everybody though. There were a bunch of role playing threads and whatnot until they got banned. Plenty of picture threads, I always thought they were creative and fun but eventually they went away. Much more Bedn, much more locks and clocks, and there were shit tons of other NG specific memes that I don't really care to remember. People used sign up date as an indicator of status much more often, such as '06s looked down on '07s and so on. At the time, it seemed like mods posted more too. Maybe that's just because I was banned all the time, because I was 12.
That's all I got, the majority of NGs appeal to me at the time was that constant inside jokes were being pumped out of the 4chan machine, and those jokes hit everywhere on the internet, rather than NG specifically. It seems like 4chan doesn't really make memes anymore? I haven't heard of any recent ones of any merit anyways. The general forums took uptmost influence from 4chan when it was super popular, so really it was like a slightly more controlled yet less original 4chan.

koopahermit
koopahermit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 12:39 AM Reply

Was only half a year ago but does anybody still remember kewlboy05?

I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say.
"Man, fuck your logic." - HomicidialFrog
"Normal people. They're so fucking weird." - Xenomit

BBS Signature
TheGlockGroup
TheGlockGroup
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 12:43 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 05:46 PM, Havegum wrote: Didn't know there was a glock crew

fuck u

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 12:49 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 03:10 PM, UVSoaked wrote: Revird was the place for regulars to go when they were banned from the forums. Around 2005ish? Fun times.

Oh man I forgot about that shit.
http://dagobah.net/flash/pineapple.swf

Here's how I'd sum up the history of the forums:

Shitty troll acounts
Some people died
Some people left
Me and others act like pretentious fucks for being around longer than everyone else. Nobody really gives a shit.

So basically the same shit over and over just different faces

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 01:03 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 06:37 PM, UVSoaked wrote:
At 2/26/13 03:10 PM, UVSoaked wrote: Revird was the place for regulars to go when they were banned from the forums. Around 2005ish? Fun times.
Confirmation source: @Sensationalism?

I wish I was on my other computer, I'd post some Revird pics. Revird was better than NGBBS. Good times.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Wuggawoot
Wuggawoot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 01:17 AM Reply

There was a thread long ago, about a man with a neck of stone...

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 01:30 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 02:06 PM, Gagsy wrote: The only thing worth knowing of is So Sandy.

who what when

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 01:38 AM Reply

Back in the day there were a lot of pre teens on the site, and they'd cover up their youth by being complete asshat douches, which didn't do a lot of good.

I used to be someone on the BBS who wouldn't debase myself to verbally assaulting someone, but some people just don't know who they're fucking with.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 01:58 AM Reply

sirtom93 tried to burn down his school but he went full fucking retard and told newgrounds and got himself arrested before he could commit the deed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES

supergandhi74
supergandhi74
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 02:03 AM Reply

This site has no history
--supergandhi74

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 02:04 AM Reply

At 2/27/13 01:58 AM, Halberd wrote: sirtom93 tried to burn down his school but he went full fucking retard and told newgrounds and got himself arrested before he could commit the deed

Not before getting his ass kicked by Rig.

Bbs History Lessons

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 02:05 AM Reply

At 2/27/13 02:03 AM, supergandhi74 wrote: This site has no history
--supergandhi74

history does as history is

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Famas
Famas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 02:33 AM Reply

All the friends I made on here that I helped run the Newgrounds Counter-Strike server with either stopped coming on here or died. Same difference.

Honestly sometimes I'm surprised this website even still exists. I accidentally click on a bookmark that leads me here once in a while and I'd imagine the feeling is not unlike accidentally picking up your old jizz sock when sorting out your room before moving off to college.

"R.I.P. Gunther Hermann - 2002-2052

He wanted orange. The world gave him lemon-lime"

BBS Signature
Satan
Satan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 03:04 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 02:36 PM, Dragen wrote:
At 2/26/13 02:09 PM, Satan wrote: I was one of those people who made an account, browsed once every 5 or 6 months for a week none-stop and then vanished, or lost interest before going back to another website I used at the time.
what website you talking about?

I'd rather not say, I'm still ashamed of myself for ever being associated with it ;_; it ate my life for a long ass time.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 03:07 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 07:32 PM, squidly wrote: Historical stuff

I actually learned some new things from that post, nice! Is that flash that insulted Wade still around, or was that deleted at the same time as the user was banned?

At 2/26/13 05:46 PM, Havegum wrote: I've heard about these. Didn't know there was a glock crew, sure you don't mean the Lock Legion?

Nah, there was a glock group too. They even have a collection. The LL is a classic. :(

undowenEd
undowenEd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Reader
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 03:10 AM Reply

lol 2007 users recalling "bbs history" get a fuckin life

Wuggawoot
Wuggawoot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 05:37 AM Reply

At 2/27/13 03:10 AM, undowenEd wrote: lol 2007 users recalling "bbs history" get a fuckin life

you jelly of my 07?

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 06:00 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 03:16 PM, Viper50 wrote: And then there was the time DrForeman "awakened the beast".

Pissing myself at this, Poxpower is a God.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 07:17 AM Reply

At 2/27/13 03:10 AM, undowenEd wrote: lol 2007 users recalling "bbs history" get a fuckin life

Five years is a long time!

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 07:30 AM Reply

Livecorpse suicide
Goldencat's raps
Sig trends - I had one, so did Stem, where like half the forum would have the same signature
Rabid-Echidna's offensive signatures
Dirty stories, in particular my dirty stories
Hiding links to shock sites
Users such as Nephthys, Carmilla, Tremour, Tanner, Olskoo, Bevin, Mopsickle, Sanjay, Rabid-Echidna, MacDeth (10 points for every name recognised)
The Star Syndicate
Piconjo Pwns J00
Waid Fulp, Josh Bedn, BeanBurgerClock's classic movies
Tricky the Clown
Pube Muppet

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 07:31 AM Reply

At 2/27/13 07:30 AM, Earfetish wrote: Rabid-Echidna's offensive signatures

These are hilarious.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Bbs History Lessons Feb. 27th, 2013 @ 08:32 AM Reply

At 2/27/13 03:07 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/26/13 07:32 PM, squidly wrote: Historical stuff
I actually learned some new things from that post, nice! Is that flash that insulted Wade still around, or was that deleted at the same time as the user was banned?

I believe it was deleted almost immediately. That's where the controversy stemmed from.

It's the only way out!