Be a Supporter!
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 02:04:30 Reply

At 2/26/13 02:01 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: No, no, I'm not. I understood what you were saying and bottom line being it is redundant to collect vinyl if it has been recorded digitally. To which I responded, I think that is silly.

fttfttpft

Vinyl


mods keep deleting my sig

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 02:08:29 Reply

At 2/26/13 02:04 AM, Sevkat wrote: fttfttpft

alrighty. sorry then

Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 02:08:59 Reply

At 2/26/13 02:08 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 02:04 AM, Sevkat wrote: fttfttpft
alrighty. sorry then

baka why do you have to make me feel so guilty!

Vinyl


mods keep deleting my sig

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 02:13:51 Reply

At 2/26/13 02:08 AM, Sevkat wrote: baka why do you have to make me feel so guilty!

s-sorry

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 02:15:25 Reply

At 2/26/13 01:36 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: I have a few records. I'd like to get some more. Gief monies pl0x

Liking the Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Velvet Underground.

at least I think thats Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada....

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 02:15:48 Reply

At 2/26/13 02:13 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 02:08 AM, Sevkat wrote: baka why do you have to make me feel so guilty!
s-sorry

No you're not.


mods keep deleting my sig

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Artist
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 02:23:09 Reply

At 2/26/13 02:15 AM, Viper50 wrote: at least I think thats Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada....

it be

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 02:33:07 Reply

At 2/26/13 02:23 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 2/26/13 02:15 AM, Viper50 wrote: at least I think thats Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada....
it be

Ah okay.
I like that EP.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 04:04:45 Reply

At 2/26/13 12:40 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: Thoughts?

I love vinyl. It has that clear and crispy sound that you can't attain with a regular CD. Since I do like old music, particularly classic rock from the 80-90s I guess I'm in luck. As for new records, that seems hellishly expensive!

Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 05:46:28 Reply

I've never played a vinyl record. I want to sometime just to see what they are like. I only get my music on CDs. I will only get digital download versions if the CD is nonexistent or extremely expensive.


BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 05:56:59 Reply

At 2/26/13 05:46 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: I've never played a vinyl record. I want to sometime just to see what they are like. I only get my music on CDs. I will only get digital download versions if the CD is nonexistent or extremely expensive.

It's a bit sad how music is going from material to digital. The cool thing about Vinyl, apart from the sound quality, are the covers. Each one is like a painting. At least they used to be, Vinyl covers from the 80s are pretty awesome, especially for Heavy Metal music. Compared to CDs they have a much longer lifespan too, but of course CDs are much easier/smaller/etc. It feels to me like Vinyl is the ultimate format for collectors, though. It looks good, sounds good and lasts long!

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 06:02:11 Reply

Some bands that are small make their own vinyl. A Scottish band released a LP last year, 400 copies, all made out of chocolate.

The LP has the most possibilities for dicking about with it - bands such as NON who have done records of nothing but locked grooves, the infinite finish that locked grooves are usually used for, the twin tracks random playing trick. SO MUCH FUN!!!

Many items are still only available on vinyl or, if we really want to get ancient, bakelite.

Space is an issue, however, and always store your vinyl upright and in a vinyl storage case - OR - on a shelf, just as long as there is no direct sunlight, dampness, etc.

My other problem with vinyl is that, I need to have all of my music on me all of the time, on shuffle. I need to get a vinyl to MP3 deck. But I will probably get a tape to MP3 first, as I am going to hunt down the Spanish Edition of Kraftwerk's Computer World.

As I collect 80's, I will need these things, so much stuff has never been reissued!


Would you like to send our coloured cousins Home again, my friend?
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by BlueHippo. Seig heil

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 07:08:11 Reply

I have about 50 records, but I wouldn't have gotten into this if I weren't given a Sansui SR-929 by my brother who didn't have time to use it since he now has a family with three kids.

It's a fun but expensive hobby. I mostly collect Electronic and Krautrock records, but what saddens me is that I'm never going to recreate my digital collection in vinyl. I'm not into it for the audiophile thingy, I have decent speakers, headphones and amps, but nothing insanely expensive. I'm mostly into vinyl since I enjoy owning a physical entity of my favourite records, and a CD is just so small and forgettable.

Luckily the vinyl industry for even modern Electronic music isn't anywhere close to dying. I think I can say with confidence that more records are released as vinyl since putting Singles and EPs on CDs isn't too practical. (at least this applies to the modern electronic scene)


BBS Signature
PleasantPeasant
PleasantPeasant
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 08:11:44 Reply

Vinyl is for dumb trust fund hipsters and aging baby boomers who only bought the records because that's all there was. Since I don't fit into either group, I'll just stick with mp3s like a normal person.


BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 08:43:47 Reply

At 2/26/13 08:11 AM, MrSoxfan wrote: Vinyl is for dumb trust fund hipsters and aging baby boomers who only bought the records because that's all there was. Since I don't fit into either group, I'll just stick with mp3s like a normal person.

What a boring life you must live. So what do you allow yourself to do?

Dragen
Dragen
  • Member since: Apr. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 08:47:31 Reply

Vinyl records are no longer used by most ordinary people, but are still common among DJs.

Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 08:52:34 Reply

At 2/26/13 08:43 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 08:11 AM, MrSoxfan wrote: Vinyl is for dumb trust fund hipsters and aging baby boomers who only bought the records because that's all there was. Since I don't fit into either group, I'll just stick with mp3s like a normal person.
What a boring life you must live. So what do you allow yourself to do?

He probably isn't very interested in music. Most people just listen to music on youtube, radio, spotify, etc.


BBS Signature
Dawcio510
Dawcio510
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 08:56:16 Reply

At 2/26/13 12:40 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: Thoughts?

I would love to get into vinyl but I'm not into much older music and new vinyl + shipping means $40 a record. Local artists vinyl is fairly cheap but I'm not into enough local artists to justify it and A lot of people I listen to also aren't big enough to commission vinyl either.

Well, nope... No any thoughts, or just simply do what you think is the best option.


"I fapped to this topic."
- Razeroath.

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 55
Game Developer
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 09:32:03 Reply

At 2/26/13 06:02 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Some bands that are small make their own vinyl. A Scottish band released a LP last year, 400 copies, all made out of chocolate.

Like actual chocolate or chocolate colored vinyl?
Because actual chocolate wouldn't be very practical....and would probably melt while you're playing it.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 09:35:03 Reply

At 2/26/13 09:32 AM, Viper50 wrote: Like actual chocolate or chocolate colored vinyl?
Because actual chocolate wouldn't be very practical....and would probably melt while you're playing it.

But you can eat it after which makes it all worth it.


BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 09:48:00 Reply

I got some albums on vinyl and I had a vinyl player until it broke down last week. I'm going to look for a new one soon.

To be honest, I do not think the sound of vinyl records is really that much warmer or better than the sound of CDs (despite what "experts" say). Also, all the equipment feels very fragile. You really got to handle the records and the player with great care or you might ruin them forever.

On the other hand, it does have its charm. It's a nice way to experience full albums and the bit of random noise on the background sounds kinda cosy.

By the way, just go to some thrift store or something if you want to look for vinyl or LP albums. They tend to have lots for only a few bucks each. I bought records like Wish You Were Here and Beatles compilation albums for only three euros or so.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 4 July 2017)

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 09:49:43 Reply

At 2/26/13 09:32 AM, Viper50 wrote:
At 2/26/13 06:02 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Some bands that are small make their own vinyl. A Scottish band released a LP last year, 400 copies, all made out of chocolate.
Like actual chocolate or chocolate colored vinyl?
Because actual chocolate wouldn't be very practical....and would probably melt while you're playing it.

Actual, factual chocolate. Practicality wasn't the issue. YOu would need to burn that fucker on the first go. YOu might even nneed two copies to get both sides.

I think ther band might be Glow Worms, I dunno, I would have to consult my stacks of Record Collector.


Would you like to send our coloured cousins Home again, my friend?
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by BlueHippo. Seig heil

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 09:59:46 Reply

At 2/26/13 09:49 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Actual, factual chocolate. Practicality wasn't the issue. YOu would need to burn that fucker on the first go. YOu might even nneed two copies to get both sides.

I'm confused yet...intrigued at the same time.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 10:12:41 Reply

At 2/26/13 09:48 AM, Auz wrote: It's a nice way to experience full albums

I disagree. I have to get up and flip it 4 times to listen to a freaking 80-minute album. It's an absolute nightmare.

But then again, albums from that time were tailored to this, so maybe I'm just silly collecting CD albums on vinyl.


BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 10:25:11 Reply

At 2/26/13 10:19 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: vinyl, or how if you think it sounds better, then it does. an exercise in the placebo effect

--supergandhi64

Remember that vinyl releases often receive additional mastering, so there may indeed be differences present.


BBS Signature
BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 10:25:21 Reply

I would like to get into vinyl, but I dont have my own place so it would be just for the collecting for right now.


I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
undowenEd
undowenEd
  • Member since: Feb. 5, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Reader
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 10:25:35 Reply

vinyl sounds warmer "bigger" wider and due to some noise the higher frequencies are more noticeable

frequencies that arent even Fully represented on a redbook CD

educate yourself\

if theres a vinyl release more often than not thats what the album should be heard on

Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 10:29:15 Reply

At 2/26/13 10:12 AM, KevinHR wrote:
At 2/26/13 09:48 AM, Auz wrote: It's a nice way to experience full albums
I disagree. I have to get up and flip it 4 times to listen to a freaking 80-minute album. It's an absolute nightmare.

But then again, albums from that time were tailored to this, so maybe I'm just silly collecting CD albums on vinyl.

True, you have to get up and turn the record over every 25 minutes or so which may be a little annoying sometimes.

The thing is, I find that with a CD (or MP3) I'm way more eager to just skip the tracks I don't feel like listening to, whereas with vinyl I'll always listen to the albums in full (probably because I don't feel like getting up every 5 minutes). I know it's a silly, illogical argument, but for some reason it gives me a better experience.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 4 July 2017)

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 10:42:29 Reply

At 2/26/13 10:29 AM, Auz wrote: True, you have to get up and turn the record over every 25 minutes or so which may be a little annoying sometimes.

The thing is, I find that with a CD (or MP3) I'm way more eager to just skip the tracks I don't feel like listening to, whereas with vinyl I'll always listen to the albums in full (probably because I don't feel like getting up every 5 minutes). I know it's a silly, illogical argument, but for some reason it gives me a better experience.

You have a point. I notice that many people often skip songs they don't like.

However, whenever I listen to an album I never skip songs, only after having heard the album in its entirety and therefore would like to focus on the individual tracks. I separate those two as different activities and I always stick to one of them. But this may be since I'm used to listening with headphones, where it doesn't make much of a difference if there's soothing calm music or a guy breaking windows, dogs barking and kitchenware being thrown around.

This also makes me believe that people could expand their music view if they made further use of headphone listening. I have many albums that I would never play on speakers. But this may just be me since I was raised to never bother thy neighbour.


BBS Signature