Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:45 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:40 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 01:35 AM, Sevkat wrote: But to all their own, if you don't listen to very much older music, collecting vinyl might not be for you.
I think this is a little silly. Too think that different tastes means you wont enjoy vinyl as much. Cash is one thing.

No, no, you're missing the point.
Older albums were recorded with analog technology, and newer ones with digital technology.
Think of it like this:
I have an old VHS, and I want to watch it on my TV. Odds are, it will play better on my old RCA TV, not on my high-def flat panel, because it will look all distorted and shitty. Now think of it the other way around, you have a new bluray, and want to watch it on your old CRT TV, odds are it's going to look like shit, because it was made for newer technology.
The same concept applies to sound, knawmeen? It has nothing to do with musical preference, it's not like there aren't a bunch of difference genres dating back before the late 80's when CD was released.

[SevkittyBBS, join LOSER] - [I am not a crook] - [Add me on Steam: svkkt]

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 02:01 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:45 AM, Sevkat wrote:
At 2/26/13 01:40 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 01:35 AM, Sevkat wrote: But to all their own, if you don't listen to very much older music, collecting vinyl might not be for you.
I think this is a little silly. Too think that different tastes means you wont enjoy vinyl as much. Cash is one thing.
No, no, you're missing the point.
Older albums were recorded with analog technology, and newer ones with digital technology.
Think of it like this:
I have an old VHS, and I want to watch it on my TV. Odds are, it will play better on my old RCA TV, not on my high-def flat panel, because it will look all distorted and shitty. Now think of it the other way around, you have a new bluray, and want to watch it on your old CRT TV, odds are it's going to look like shit, because it was made for newer technology.
The same concept applies to sound, knawmeen? It has nothing to do with musical preference, it's not like there aren't a bunch of difference genres dating back before the late 80's when CD was released.

No, no, I'm not. I understood what you were saying and bottom line being it is redundant to collect vinyl if it has been recorded digitally. To which I responded, I think that is silly.

If it cost more to replicate sound better with vinyl than it does with your stranded PC than the only reason you would collect is to have all the advantage that come with a record player. That is to own records, to play records and to collect records. If the quality was that awful than the records would not be produced. I see where you are coming from but I can't see the sound suffering all that much. Statistically it may not make sense but I think I'd be nice to be able to play my stuff on vinyl.

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 02:04 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 02:01 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: No, no, I'm not. I understood what you were saying and bottom line being it is redundant to collect vinyl if it has been recorded digitally. To which I responded, I think that is silly.

fttfttpft

Vinyl

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 02:08 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 02:04 AM, Sevkat wrote: fttfttpft

alrighty. sorry then

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 02:08 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 02:08 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 02:04 AM, Sevkat wrote: fttfttpft
alrighty. sorry then

baka why do you have to make me feel so guilty!

Vinyl

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 02:13 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 02:08 AM, Sevkat wrote: baka why do you have to make me feel so guilty!

s-sorry

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 02:15 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:36 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: I have a few records. I'd like to get some more. Gief monies pl0x

Liking the Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Velvet Underground.

at least I think thats Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada....

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 02:15 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 02:13 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 02:08 AM, Sevkat wrote: baka why do you have to make me feel so guilty!
s-sorry

No you're not.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Artist
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 02:23 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 02:15 AM, Viper50 wrote: at least I think thats Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada....

it be

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 02:33 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 02:23 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 2/26/13 02:15 AM, Viper50 wrote: at least I think thats Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada....
it be

Ah okay.
I like that EP.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 04:04 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:40 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: Thoughts?

I love vinyl. It has that clear and crispy sound that you can't attain with a regular CD. Since I do like old music, particularly classic rock from the 80-90s I guess I'm in luck. As for new records, that seems hellishly expensive!

Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 05:46 AM Reply

I've never played a vinyl record. I want to sometime just to see what they are like. I only get my music on CDs. I will only get digital download versions if the CD is nonexistent or extremely expensive.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 05:56 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 05:46 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: I've never played a vinyl record. I want to sometime just to see what they are like. I only get my music on CDs. I will only get digital download versions if the CD is nonexistent or extremely expensive.

It's a bit sad how music is going from material to digital. The cool thing about Vinyl, apart from the sound quality, are the covers. Each one is like a painting. At least they used to be, Vinyl covers from the 80s are pretty awesome, especially for Heavy Metal music. Compared to CDs they have a much longer lifespan too, but of course CDs are much easier/smaller/etc. It feels to me like Vinyl is the ultimate format for collectors, though. It looks good, sounds good and lasts long!

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 06:02 AM Reply

Some bands that are small make their own vinyl. A Scottish band released a LP last year, 400 copies, all made out of chocolate.

The LP has the most possibilities for dicking about with it - bands such as NON who have done records of nothing but locked grooves, the infinite finish that locked grooves are usually used for, the twin tracks random playing trick. SO MUCH FUN!!!

Many items are still only available on vinyl or, if we really want to get ancient, bakelite.

Space is an issue, however, and always store your vinyl upright and in a vinyl storage case - OR - on a shelf, just as long as there is no direct sunlight, dampness, etc.

My other problem with vinyl is that, I need to have all of my music on me all of the time, on shuffle. I need to get a vinyl to MP3 deck. But I will probably get a tape to MP3 first, as I am going to hunt down the Spanish Edition of Kraftwerk's Computer World.

As I collect 80's, I will need these things, so much stuff has never been reissued!

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 07:08 AM Reply

I have about 50 records, but I wouldn't have gotten into this if I weren't given a Sansui SR-929 by my brother who didn't have time to use it since he now has a family with three kids.

It's a fun but expensive hobby. I mostly collect Electronic and Krautrock records, but what saddens me is that I'm never going to recreate my digital collection in vinyl. I'm not into it for the audiophile thingy, I have decent speakers, headphones and amps, but nothing insanely expensive. I'm mostly into vinyl since I enjoy owning a physical entity of my favourite records, and a CD is just so small and forgettable.

Luckily the vinyl industry for even modern Electronic music isn't anywhere close to dying. I think I can say with confidence that more records are released as vinyl since putting Singles and EPs on CDs isn't too practical. (at least this applies to the modern electronic scene)

BBS Signature
NuclearInfected
NuclearInfected
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 08:11 AM Reply

Vinyl is for dumb trust fund hipsters and aging baby boomers who only bought the records because that's all there was. Since I don't fit into either group, I'll just stick with mp3s like a normal person.

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 08:43 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 08:11 AM, MrSoxfan wrote: Vinyl is for dumb trust fund hipsters and aging baby boomers who only bought the records because that's all there was. Since I don't fit into either group, I'll just stick with mp3s like a normal person.

What a boring life you must live. So what do you allow yourself to do?

BBS Signature
Dragen
Dragen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 08:47 AM Reply

Vinyl records are no longer used by most ordinary people, but are still common among DJs.

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 08:51 AM Reply

I always thought it was said like "vin-nil" not "vine-nall"

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 08:52 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 08:43 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 08:11 AM, MrSoxfan wrote: Vinyl is for dumb trust fund hipsters and aging baby boomers who only bought the records because that's all there was. Since I don't fit into either group, I'll just stick with mp3s like a normal person.
What a boring life you must live. So what do you allow yourself to do?

He probably isn't very interested in music. Most people just listen to music on youtube, radio, spotify, etc.

BBS Signature
Dawcio510
Dawcio510
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 08:56 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:40 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: Thoughts?

I would love to get into vinyl but I'm not into much older music and new vinyl + shipping means $40 a record. Local artists vinyl is fairly cheap but I'm not into enough local artists to justify it and A lot of people I listen to also aren't big enough to commission vinyl either.

Well, nope... No any thoughts, or just simply do what you think is the best option.

"I fapped to this topic."
- Razeroath.

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 09:01 AM Reply

I like Vinyl toys

Vinyl

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 09:32 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 06:02 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Some bands that are small make their own vinyl. A Scottish band released a LP last year, 400 copies, all made out of chocolate.

Like actual chocolate or chocolate colored vinyl?
Because actual chocolate wouldn't be very practical....and would probably melt while you're playing it.

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 09:35 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 09:32 AM, Viper50 wrote: Like actual chocolate or chocolate colored vinyl?
Because actual chocolate wouldn't be very practical....and would probably melt while you're playing it.

But you can eat it after which makes it all worth it.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 09:48 AM Reply

I got some albums on vinyl and I had a vinyl player until it broke down last week. I'm going to look for a new one soon.

To be honest, I do not think the sound of vinyl records is really that much warmer or better than the sound of CDs (despite what "experts" say). Also, all the equipment feels very fragile. You really got to handle the records and the player with great care or you might ruin them forever.

On the other hand, it does have its charm. It's a nice way to experience full albums and the bit of random noise on the background sounds kinda cosy.

By the way, just go to some thrift store or something if you want to look for vinyl or LP albums. They tend to have lots for only a few bucks each. I bought records like Wish You Were Here and Beatles compilation albums for only three euros or so.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 09:49 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 09:32 AM, Viper50 wrote:
At 2/26/13 06:02 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Some bands that are small make their own vinyl. A Scottish band released a LP last year, 400 copies, all made out of chocolate.
Like actual chocolate or chocolate colored vinyl?

Actual, factual chocolate. Practicality wasn't the issue. YOu would need to burn that fucker on the first go. YOu might even nneed two copies to get both sides.

I think ther band might be Glow Worms, I dunno, I would have to consult my stacks of Record Collector.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 09:59 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 09:49 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Actual, factual chocolate. Practicality wasn't the issue. YOu would need to burn that fucker on the first go. YOu might even nneed two copies to get both sides.

I'm confused yet...intrigued at the same time.

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 10:12 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 09:48 AM, Auz wrote: It's a nice way to experience full albums

I disagree. I have to get up and flip it 4 times to listen to a freaking 80-minute album. It's an absolute nightmare.

But then again, albums from that time were tailored to this, so maybe I'm just silly collecting CD albums on vinyl.

BBS Signature
supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 10:19 AM Reply

vinyl, or how if you think it sounds better, then it does. an exercise in the placebo effect

--supergandhi64

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 10:25 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 10:19 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: vinyl, or how if you think it sounds better, then it does. an exercise in the placebo effect

--supergandhi64

Remember that vinyl releases often receive additional mastering, so there may indeed be differences present.

BBS Signature