TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 12:40 AM Reply

Thoughts?

I would love to get into vinyl but I'm not into much older music and new vinyl + shipping means $40 a record. Local artists vinyl is fairly cheap but I'm not into enough local artists to justify it and A lot of people I listen to also aren't big enough to commission vinyl either.

Vinyl

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 12:44 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:40 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: Thoughts?

A hear a lot claim it sounds better or more atmospheric etc. but I am fine just using my speakers / headphones for music, more convenient.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 12:45 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:44 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: A hear a lot claim it sounds better or more atmospheric etc. but I am fine just using my speakers / headphones for music, more convenient.

ya, vinyl has never really been about convenience so if you think you'd find it a hassle it's not for you.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 12:46 AM Reply

I much prefer digital due to having fuller and clearer sound, and because my favorite genres are electronic

Vinyl

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
Goldfire64
Goldfire64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 12:48 AM Reply

vinyal is nice but you need to be careful with them as they can get damaged easily. Even from stuff like accidently setting the needle down to hard.

SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Reader
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 12:52 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:46 AM, Xenomit wrote: I much prefer digital due to having fuller and clearer sound, and because my favorite genres are electronic

I knew that would happen. I just knew

Stretch those glutes, Flitter!
"You are a generally happy and carefree person." - Sectus
"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 12:53 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:40 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: Thoughts?

I love vinyl. And I try to get it as often as I can.
I love my 200+ vinyls (this isn't including 78s from the late 1800s and early 1900s since those are NOT vinyl)

new vinyl + shipping means $40 a record.

Not always. I've seen new vinyl going half of that.

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 12:55 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:53 AM, Viper50 wrote: Not always. I've seen new vinyl going half of that.

Yes, always. Shipping means $40. The shipping is usually half the prise of the record, funnily enough.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 12:58 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:55 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 12:53 AM, Viper50 wrote: Not always. I've seen new vinyl going half of that.
Yes, always. Shipping means $40. The shipping is usually half the prise of the record, funnily enough.

I bought a vinyl last month that was $20 with $7 shipping. And it even came with a shirt!

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:01 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:58 AM, Viper50 wrote: I bought a vinyl last month that was $20 with $7 shipping. And it even came with a shirt!

Sweeet. I got a free Bandcamp Tee a week ago. This guy is in my home-state so his record is only $20. I'm talking International.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:09 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:44 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: A hear a lot claim it sounds better or more atmospheric etc. but I am fine just using my speakers / headphones for music, more convenient.

It has the potential to be just as clear as an FLAC rip of a track, but the average set up doesn't allow it to demonstrate its quality and having one that does would cost quite a bit, so to be honest it's not really worth it unless you like collecting physical media or you have a lot of money to throw around.

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:13 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:55 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: Yes, always. Shipping means $40. The shipping is usually half the prise of the record, funnily enough.

why is shipping so much? the most i've paid for vinyl shipping is 15$ or so and that was for multiple records

cardboard mailer 1$
sleeves/tapes/label/bubblewrap etc about 2$ combined
media mail for objects weighing around 1lb is about 5$ or so max (and most records weigh a lot less)

is this an import/export thing or foreign tax i'm not understanding?

most people (in the continental u.s.) on discogs/ebay only charge 5$ shipping on a single record

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:16 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:13 AM, Sekhem wrote: is this an import/export thing or foreign tax i'm not understanding?

Well, it's not like you don't understand it. It's as shit as it seems but that's just how the World works.

I think it's like $20 stranded, so $20 + $20 = $40.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:17 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:01 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 12:58 AM, Viper50 wrote: I bought a vinyl last month that was $20 with $7 shipping. And it even came with a shirt!
Sweeet. I got a free Bandcamp Tee a week ago. This guy is in my home-state so his record is only $20.

Cool. I've been meaning to buy some stuff off of bandcamp for awhile but I never get around to doing so....

I'm talking International.

Yeah some places CAN charge crazy amounts for shipping and whatnot when its international.
Like this one time I was going to buy a vinyl off of Rise Above Records' site, and all together I'd be spending like $50 on one vinyl since they're located in London. Though I could probably find it on eBay or something for a lot cheaper than that.

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:18 AM Reply

My parents have a vinyl player and a whole collection of old music. There's some Pink Floyd, Beatles, and Michael Jackson in there, but the rest I haven't even heard about.

I do listen to some music that were originally distributed using vinyl as primary format, but going though that much of effort for something that is merely a keystroke away? It would probably be more appealing if I were to actively listen to music rather than having it in the background like I normally do, but /effort

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:21 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:40 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: I would love to get into vinyl but I'm not into much older music and new vinyl + shipping means $40 a record.

dud, have you tried searching eBay for records? They're not exactly cheap, but they're usually always in very good condition. But, where you find the real good deals is shopping locally at places like thrift stores and flee markets, items that sell on ebay for around $20 a pop go for about a dollar, depending on who you're dealing with, you're just not assured that the record you're buying is in good condition until you play it.

The hard part about being an old school audiophile is finding the record player. Turntables are a rare commodity, finding a really nice table is extremely hard to do.They sell new Sony tables for a few hundred bucks that are just pieces of shit. The best way is to find it locally (of course) and maintain it yourself, find an old beat to shit table, oil it, fix the plate, replace the cartridge, and so forth.

Once you switch to records, you'll never go back.
I've only started collecting vinyl recently, and I've gotta admit it's one of the best things I've ever gotten into. Personally, I notice the difference in analog sound as compared to digital (providing it was recorded before digital sound was released).

And honestly, getting started isn't hard at all, shop around Discogs, and you're sure to find wicked deals, I found a Doors record for $1.50! That record usually runs for $30 before shipping on eBay! Of course, if you're into collecting original/mint pressings, you'll be spending a pretty penny, but it's definitely worth it.

Not to mention, bands like Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Joy Division, and The Velvet Underground have released re-pressings of records in the past five years, all of them being 180-gram (high quality) LPs, and they're VERY inexpensive, around $20 for a brand new, mint, still sealed record that sounds fucking awesome.

If you're really interested, I think you should definitely start picking up some records. Even if you don't ever listen to them, it's a really cool thing to have kicking around, you can even get the framed and hang them on your wall!

[SevkittyBBS, join LOSER] - [I am not a crook] - [Add me on Steam: svkkt]

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:22 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:18 AM, Havegum wrote: I do listen to some music that were originally distributed using vinyl as primary format, but going though that much of effort for something that is merely a keystroke away? It would probably be more appealing if I were to actively listen to music rather than having it in the background like I normally do, but /effort

dud, it's like anything else that requires effort. It feels more involved, it's like a ritual. Like preparing loose leaf tea a couple times a day. Of course there's is easier means but easier does not mean better. I'd probably respect my music a lot more on vinyl because it's a tangible thing that requires respect.

I mean, I could buy tea bags and a mug. But I don't.

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:23 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 12:46 AM, Xenomit wrote: I much prefer digital due to having fuller and clearer sound, and because my favorite genres are electronic

Pretty much.
I admit it, I like pop music too.

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome2
TheColourAwesome2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:24 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:21 AM, Sevkat wrote: dud,
At 2/26/13 01:22 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: dud,

Oh, cool. I didn't even plan for that. I'll read your post now.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:24 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:23 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote:
Pretty much.
I admit it, I like pop music too.

Ehhhhhhhhhh

Not so much pop

Japanese pop maybe, but that's about it

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:26 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:24 AM, Xenomit wrote:
Ehhhhhhhhhh

Not so much pop

Japanese pop maybe, but that's about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpfQSqfpuac Heuehueheuheueheuhe

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:29 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:22 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/26/13 01:18 AM, Havegum wrote: It would probably be more appealing if I were to actively listen to music rather than having it in the background like I normally do, but /effort
dud, it's like anything else that requires effort. It feels more involved

I only have so much effort, and I'm using it all doing other stuff!

Besides, I don't have time to replay/flip the vinyl when I'm playing games. And I definitely don't want to break absolute concentration if I'm working on a project.

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome2
TheColourAwesome2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:31 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:29 AM, Havegum wrote: Besides, I don't have time to replay/flip the vinyl when I'm playing games. And I definitely don't want to break absolute concentration if I'm working on a project.

Yes you do. If you're listening to music while playing games than it doesn't matter.

TheColourAwesome2
TheColourAwesome2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:34 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:21 AM, Sevkat wrote:
At 2/26/13 12:40 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: I would love to get into vinyl but I'm not into much older music and new vinyl + shipping means $40 a record.
Stuff

Thanks, man. I pretty much know all this already but I appreciate the time spent into writing this out for me.

Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:35 AM Reply

Don't forget that buying albums that were recorded with digital equipment is pretty redundant, unless you're wanting them simply for your collection. Only buy records that were recorded during the ol' days of analog sound.
Some common examples being Pink Floyd, the Doors, Hendrix, Mamas and Papas, Animals, et cetera.

My personal favourite records are Wish You Were Here, Woodstock, and The Doors.
But to all their own, if you don't listen to very much older music, collecting vinyl might not be for you.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:36 AM Reply

I have a few records. I'd like to get some more. Gief monies pl0x

Vinyl

Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:36 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: I have a few records. I'd like to get some more. Gief monies pl0x

lol, we have the same Velvet Underground records! I just got & Nico in the mail today!

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:40 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:39 AM, Sevkat wrote: lol, we have the same Velvet Underground records! I just got & Nico in the mail today!

is your banana peelable?

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:40 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:35 AM, Sevkat wrote: But to all their own, if you don't listen to very much older music, collecting vinyl might not be for you.

I think this is a little silly. Too think that different tastes means you wont enjoy vinyl as much. Cash is one thing.

At 2/26/13 01:36 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: I have a few records. I'd like to get some more. Gief monies pl0x

Slipknot.

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Vinyl Feb. 26th, 2013 @ 01:45 AM Reply

At 2/26/13 01:31 AM, TheColourAwesome2 wrote:
At 2/26/13 01:29 AM, Havegum wrote: I definitely don't want to break absolute concentration if I'm working on a project.
Yes you do.

What? I don't.
I think the way I sort out music now is perfect for the use I have of it.

BBS Signature