masheenH3ad
masheenH3ad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
How to quote music composition... 2013-02-25 10:23:46 Reply

for a Film thesis?

I have a friend who's working on his thesis now. He wants me to compose music for some parts of the film (About 30-1 min) and also, he wants to pay for my music. Now, I don't know how to quote the music. So I don't know what price to give. Fellas, any thoughts about this? Thanks!

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to How to quote music composition... 2013-02-25 11:53:37 Reply

You can chose between flat rate per piece or per minute, hourly rate for the process of composition or a percentage of the budget. There's no standard fee though, everybody has a different offer. I looked around and found a few who charge between $3-500/hour, but that's probably overkill. :)

Is music a business or a hobby for you? If it's the latter just ask for a price you think your music or time is worth, not what it could be worth.

masheenH3ad
masheenH3ad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to How to quote music composition... 2013-02-25 12:56:30 Reply

At 2/25/13 11:53 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: You can chose between flat rate per piece or per minute, hourly rate for the process of composition or a percentage of the budget. There's no standard fee though, everybody has a different offer. I looked around and found a few who charge between $3-500/hour, but that's probably overkill. :)

Is music a business or a hobby for you? If it's the latter just ask for a price you think your music or time is worth, not what it could be worth.

I always treat music as a business. Want to earn my living doing music. Am not so aware about the music scoring thing as I am aware about live performances. Thanks so much! for the idea. It gave me a different perspective. Thanks again Brethren. :)

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to How to quote music composition... 2013-02-25 13:23:51 Reply

At 2/25/13 12:56 PM, masheenH3ad wrote: Thanks so much! for the idea. It gave me a different perspective. Thanks again Brethren. :)

No problem, happy to be of service. :)