Support NATA 2014
BlackMarkEtteG
BlackMarkEtteG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
As2 to As3 Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 10:15 AM Reply

So i finaly decided to start programing games in as3. I worked in as2 for one year and I think I learned a lot...
But I cant find any good tutorial or something...I'm also confused, so can somebody send me some good tutorial for makig games in as3? :)

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to As2 to As3 Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 10:29 AM Reply

At 2/25/13 10:15 AM, BlackMarkEtteG wrote: So i finaly decided to start programing games in as3. I worked in as2 for one year and I think I learned a lot...
But I cant find any good tutorial or something...I'm also confused, so can somebody send me some good tutorial for makig games in as3? :)

forget everything you ever learned in AS2 (yes, i'm serious) and read this

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to As2 to As3 Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 11:14 AM Reply

At 2/25/13 10:29 AM, egg82 wrote: forget everything you ever learned in AS2 (yes, i'm serious) and read this

Last time I saw a thread about as2 vs as3 on NG I was pleasantly surprised by the objectivity of the discussion and the lack of unnecessary bashing on as2. I'm sad to see it's not always like that. There is nothing wrong in the fundamentals of AS2 coding. There is nothing at all which makes good AS2 coding methods worse than good AS3 coding methods. Flash CS3 and higher along with AS3 prohibit a couple or so practices that are associated with bad coding methodology. Mostly in this case "bad coding methodology" means coding that would hinder clarity of code and of general "game logic" in large projects.

A second point is that your article presents a lot of things about AS3, but it doesn't explain the fundamental differences between the way AS2 procedural coding works and the way AS3 OOP projects do. It's not a presentation of how AS3 works and why it was made to work that way - something that would be useful for a coder switching from AS2 to AS3. It merely presents the visible surface of AS3, to speak figuratively. Please take into consideration that I am not bashing your article, I am only bashing your article being used to say to someone "forget as2 and read this article"

BBS Signature
BlackMarkEtteG
BlackMarkEtteG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to As2 to As3 Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 11:20 AM Reply

tnx to both of you. I also think that there's nothing wrong with as2 coding...
but i had few big bugs in as2 and when I asked for help here, they said to start using as3...
now i dont know what to thing ._.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to As2 to As3 Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 11:39 AM Reply

At 2/25/13 11:20 AM, BlackMarkEtteG wrote: but i had few big bugs in as2 and when I asked for help here, they said to start using as3...
now i dont know what to thing ._.

AS3 is better as far as performance and possibilities, but it's not like you can't make a good game with AS2. Learning AS3 is recommended, though.

Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to As2 to As3 Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 12:18 PM Reply

At 2/25/13 10:15 AM, BlackMarkEtteG wrote: So i finaly decided to start programing games in as3.

I wish there were more people like you...

I'm also confused

You will be. The transition from AS2 to AS3 is a huge change. Just follow the tutorials, look up examples and post questions if you have any :)

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to As2 to As3 Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 12:25 PM Reply

At 2/25/13 11:14 AM, Toast wrote: Last time I saw a thread about as2 vs as3 on NG I was pleasantly surprised by the objectivity of the discussion and the lack of unnecessary bashing on as2. I'm sad to see it's not always like that. There is nothing wrong in the fundamentals of AS2 coding. There is nothing at all which makes good AS2 coding methods worse than good AS3 coding methods. Flash CS3 and higher along with AS3 prohibit a couple or so practices that are associated with bad coding methodology. Mostly in this case "bad coding methodology" means coding that would hinder clarity of code and of general "game logic" in large projects.

the thing is, there's far more projects and tutorials on AS2 that encourage bad practices. It's much safer to assume that the OP has learned those bad practices, and trying to implement them in AS3 will only result in pain and misery. I'm not unnecessarily bashing AS2. I used to code in AS2 for years until I learned OOP and AS3; then I realized just how bad the language is. AS2 itself isn't bad, but it promotes the practice of AS1 - this hindered my progress in almost every way possible. AS3 prevents you from doing this; thus it's harder to learn (especially with AS1/2 in mind) but becomes much easier and more logical in the long run.

I didn't want to explain all of this (i've done it quite a bit already, and I needed to leave about five minutes after I posted) but there you are.

A second point is that your article presents a lot of things about AS3, but it doesn't explain the fundamental differences between the way AS2 procedural coding works and the way AS3 OOP projects do. It's not a presentation of how AS3 works and why it was made to work that way - something that would be useful for a coder switching from AS2 to AS3. It merely presents the visible surface of AS3, to speak figuratively. Please take into consideration that I am not bashing your article, I am only bashing your article being used to say to someone "forget as2 and read this article"

hmm, fair enough. Explaining why AS3 is so different would help. The thing is, I expect it all to be self-evident after learning the basics and using it to create a simple game. You think of pretty much everything as an Object and use basic logic and common sense from there. The design isn't what's difficult; it's the implementation.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature