New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jojishi-X
Jojishi-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
What are good animation programmes 2013-02-25 09:37:45 Reply

What are good animation programmes for beginners (or a bit higher), which don't consist of stickmen

Max-Vador
Max-Vador
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-02-25 10:41:39 Reply

At 2/25/13 09:37 AM, Jojishi-X wrote: What are good animation programmes for beginners (or a bit higher), which don't consist of stickmen

flash, toon-boom, anime-studio

check them all out and see what works for you. industry standard is flash but slowly becoming toon-boom.

pixelatedcocoa
pixelatedcocoa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-02-26 01:41:45 Reply

There are also open source programs like Pencil and Synfig for 2D, and Blender for 3D.

If you have the budget, though, Toonboom is the best animation program out there right now.

harri21hi
harri21hi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-02-26 01:53:44 Reply

I would highly recommend flash but if you can't get it maybe try something like synfig or pencil.

BBS Signature
pranimations
pranimations
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-01 01:42:02 Reply

At 2/25/13 10:41 AM, Max-Vador wrote:
At 2/25/13 09:37 AM, Jojishi-X wrote: What are good animation programmes for beginners (or a bit higher), which don't consist of stickmen
flash, toon-boom, anime-studio

check them all out and see what works for you. industry standard is flash but slowly becoming toon-boom.

There are also more firms are available on internet which provide this kind of things. If you are interested then search more about it.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-01 05:51:19 Reply

At 2/25/13 10:41 AM, Max-Vador wrote: check them all out and see what works for you. industry standard is flash but slowly becoming toon-boom.

Industry Standard for animation Flash? And Toon Boom slowly becoming? Urrrr... You know, the amount of misinformation on this website is sometimes so frustrating!

Toon boom has been industry standard for ages! It just that 99% of newgrounds use it. Anything after the retas pro age was done by toon boom, they don't get the title "Worldwide leader in animation software." from nowhere.

The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1998)
Doug's 1st Movie (1999)
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (1999)
The Tigger Movie (2000)
An Extremely Goofy Movie (2000)
The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (2000)
Recess: School's Out (2001)
Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure (2001)
Return to Never Land (2002)
Cinderella II: Dreams Come True (2002)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame II (2002)
Tarzan & Jane (2002)
Winnie the Pooh: A Very Merry Pooh Year (2002)
101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure (2003)
The Jungle Book 2 (2003)
Piglet's Big Movie (2003)
Atlantis: Milo's Return (2003)
Stitch! The Movie (2003)
Teacher's Pet (2004)
The Lion King 1½ (2004)
Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo (2004)
Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (2004)
Mulan II (2005)
Pooh's Heffalump Movie (2005)
Tarzan II (2005)
Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005)
Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie (2005)
Kronk's New Groove (2005)
Bambi II (2006)
Leroy & Stitch (2006)
Brother Bear 2 (2006)
The Fox and the Hound 2 (2006)
Cinderella III: A Twist in Time (2007)
Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams (2007)
The Little Mermaid III: Ariel's Beginning (2008)
Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension (2011)
The Princess and the Frog (2009)
Winnie the Pooh (2011)
The Rugrats Movie (1998)
Rugrats in Paris: The Movie (2000)
Hey Arnold!: The Movie (2002)
The Wild Thornberrys Movie (2002)
Rugrats Go Wild (2003)
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004)
Curious George (2006)
Curious George 2: Follow That Monkey! (2009)
Lucky Fred
Detentionaire
6Teen
American Dad!
bro'Town
Caillou
The Cleveland Show
Curious George
Dave The Barbarian
Di-Gata Defenders
The Fairly OddParents
Family Guy
Galactik Football
Gerald McBoing-Boing
Geronimo Stilton
Grossology
Happy Tree Friends
Jimmy Two-Shoes
Kim Possible
King of the Hill
The Large Family
Neighbors from Hell
Phineas and Ferb
Producing Parker
Robot Boy
Ruby Gloom
The Simpsons
SpongeBob SquarePants
South Park
Tron Uprising
Toot and Puddle
Weird Years
Yvon of the Yukon
Zombie Hotel

Here's some comments why on cartoonbrew.com with Flash v Toon Boom:

Michael Linzenmeyer
I have been a software developer for 12+ years now. I have used flash for various things. Never art. Websites, intros and some small interactive apps that communicate with .NET. I have CS6 and I didn't even install the Flash component of it. I am using Animate Pro, while I am still learning it, the tutorial line up for this is incredible. Flash has no such thing. Sure, there are tutorials to explain how to do various things, but nothing as complete as what Toon Boom has done to help the beginning digital animator like myself. I've seen comments here about Flashes "Flatness" and I agree. So far from what I've seen, I prefer Animate.

Led Falken
In college we did the whole Adobe (cs3 at the time). It came with a bible and that was mostly exercises for balls and candle fire...pretty disappointing considering my teacher was an art prof. years later i stumble on toonboom studio (6 i believe). it reminded me of flash enough to understand...and actually is relative to music production software as far as layout (for all you logic, flstudio, etc nerds like me).
in one day i made 5 cartoon shorts that would have takin me much longer on flash.
Seeing how they both have their advantages, and my views on monopolies...They should conglomerate themselves to make FLASH BOOM. This would end the war, and animators would get the best of both worlds, but thats like telling china to leave the buddhist "terrorists" alone. See the hilarity. look up Led Falkens youtube page and look for vitamin beard and ninja please...theres more to come as well. TOON BOOM ALL THE WAY

Ross Daniel
I'm working with toon boom animate pro(previously known as Digital pro)
I started off with Flash and all I can say is its really dumb to compare toon boom to flash as TB is 100x better than flash, it has so many features so that the user will not have the need to go to Photoshop or After effects as everything such as effects can be done in just the software on its own, not to mention uniting the different toon boom softwares such as Storyboard pro with Animate pro!

When workign in flash, things get so tedious, Toon Boom literally has ways to solve all the things that would give you a headache in flash such as line cutting, color management and the hierarchy systems are awesome for big projects!

People Flash is not for the Animator, Toon Boom was specifically created for animation by people who understand the animator!

BBS Signature
pixelatedcocoa
pixelatedcocoa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-01 19:07:49 Reply

PeterSatera, there is no doubt that Toonboom is 100% than Flash, and if you have the funds then that's what you should go with. Toonboom Animate Pro 2 is extremely expensive, but with a tablet or cintiq it's practically like drawing on paper, and it's gorgeous. The skeleton system is also a lot more animation friendly, since Toonboom was actually made for animators.

However, some studios still continue to use Flash because it's cheaper than buying Toonboom, and some animators do not want to go and train for completely new software. Also, if you are at all interested in interactive animation, Toonboom does not have AS3 (granted, Toonboom exports very nicely as an SWF that you can bring into Flash, so this is hardly even an issue if you're working as a team).

If, like me, you're stuck with using Flash because of cost or availability, there are a lot of extensions available that will (somewhat) improve its workflow. Definitely go with Toonboom if you can, though. I don't know anything about Toonboom Studio in comparison to Animate Pro 2, but it's infinitely cheaper and often goes on sale during the holidays.

You can download the trial versions and try them out for free. They give you the full program, but it renders with a water mark.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-02 07:13:45 Reply

At 3/1/13 07:07 PM, pixelatedcocoa wrote: PeterSatera, there is no doubt that Toonboom is 100% than Flash, and if you have the funds then that's what you should go with. Toonboom Animate Pro 2 is extremely expensive, but with a tablet or cintiq it's practically like drawing on paper, and it's gorgeous. The skeleton system is also a lot more animation friendly, since Toonboom was actually made for animators.

However, some studios still continue to use Flash because it's cheaper than buying Toonboom, and some animators do not want to go and train for completely new software. Also, if you are at all interested in interactive animation, Toonboom does not have AS3 (granted, Toonboom exports very nicely as an SWF that you can bring into Flash, so this is hardly even an issue if you're working as a team).

If, like me, you're stuck with using Flash because of cost or availability, there are a lot of extensions available that will (somewhat) improve its workflow. Definitely go with Toonboom if you can, though. I don't know anything about Toonboom Studio in comparison to Animate Pro 2, but it's infinitely cheaper and often goes on sale during the holidays.

You can download the trial versions and try them out for free. They give you the full program, but it renders with a water mark.

I'm aware that smaller studios choose to use flash, and continue because it's wide spread. He asked for animation software though, not interactive web content software, so AS3 is not a part of it.

Toon Boom Studio is a lesser version of Animate pro ( $1199 USD). Studio has small locks on it, like only 6 key onion skinning, and no blur effects, etc. However when you compare to the likes of Flash's $525.00 USD, and Toon Boom Studio's $99.95 combined with now free CS2 Photoshop, After effects and Premier Pro. Your work flow is superior and at less than a 1/5 of the cost. You can get all of Flash's workflow and more with working professionally. There's another thread which i posted in Flash v Toon Boom, and i write a lengthy post saying what the pros and cons were of each. You don't need to worry at all about the SWF exporter anymore either. Newgrounds supports raster formats. Once again, its about the animation, not the code.

In whole, i wasnt saying toon boom animate pro is the only choice, i was proving a point that Toon Boom IS industry standard, appose to the guys message above saying that the software is only slowly becoming - which could sway someone from paying either $99 or $525, i'd say thats a pretty bold opinion to just throw out there.

Flash v ToonBoom
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1332616

BBS Signature
crow-feet
crow-feet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-04 07:43:06 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:13 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 3/1/13 07:07 PM, pixelatedcocoa wrote:
Flash v ToonBoom

oh cool, have you worked for many studios that were using toonboom pro? i know loads of studios use harmony (still use harmony i should say) which isnt really the same as toonboom, like that is industry level software. I agree in anyway toonboom studio is the best value at the same time i wouldnt compare it to animate pro in terms of feature sets

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-04 11:19:07 Reply

At 3/4/13 07:43 AM, crow-feet wrote:
At 3/2/13 07:13 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 3/1/13 07:07 PM, pixelatedcocoa wrote:
Flash v ToonBoom
oh cool, have you worked for many studios that were using toonboom pro? i know loads of studios use harmony (still use harmony i should say) which isnt really the same as toonboom, like that is industry level software. I agree in anyway toonboom studio is the best value at the same time i wouldnt compare it to animate pro in terms of feature sets

I used to use it a lot when I was self employed. And you're right Harmony is a monster package as it's practically a self made pipeline. Just the way with employment was going I drifted toward 3D instead. So I'm a studio based in the UK which make console games. Are you workin in a studio?

BBS Signature
thekiwi
thekiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-05 04:44:39 Reply

Stick to flash. Its the best for online animations.

Subscribe the piss out of me. Youtube

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-05 04:52:55 Reply

At 3/5/13 04:44 AM, thekiwi wrote: Stick to flash. Its the best for online animations.

because...

BBS Signature
thekiwi
thekiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-05 05:18:42 Reply

At 3/5/13 04:52 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 3/5/13 04:44 AM, thekiwi wrote: Stick to flash. Its the best for online animations.
because...

Because of the formatting. A vector based animation is better in quality, Also flash is very versatile on how you can do things.
You can easily add functions in action script so that it becomes interactive and the layout and use of frames and keyframes is very user friendly.

Subscribe the piss out of me. Youtube

francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-05 10:42:02 Reply

I dont know man, studios like six point harness, bento box and titmouse use flash for 90% of their shows. And titmouse freaking produces a lot of stuff for Adult swim .. soo ... yeah ...

I guess they keep using it cause flash its pretty easy to learn (it can be learned in less than a week, and its the first thing everyone learns to use), for a studio to change software and train their employees is pretty time comsuming and would cost money from the production.

Also ... some of those movies from that list did have flash.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-06 04:58:44 Reply

At 3/5/13 10:42 AM, francisyfl wrote: I dont know man, studios like six point harness, bento box and titmouse use flash for 90% of their shows. And titmouse freaking produces a lot of stuff for Adult swim .. soo ... yeah ...

I guess they keep using it cause flash its pretty easy to learn (it can be learned in less than a week, and its the first thing everyone learns to use), for a studio to change software and train their employees is pretty time comsuming and would cost money from the production.

Also ... some of those movies from that list did have flash.

That's why program integration is a key to a good pipeline. However in comparison Toon Boom Animate Pro is the best choice for an animator. Please note I don't mention action script as to an animator it's not priority. Adult swim is good. But it's not on par with The Simpsons. My point isnt that flash is bad. My point is that it's bad at professional and productive animation.

Toon Boom Studio could be learned in a few days. It's very simple. Animate pro, takes some time.

BBS Signature
francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to What are good animation programmes 2013-03-06 08:40:27 Reply

At 3/6/13 04:58 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
That's why program integration is a key to a good pipeline. However in comparison Toon Boom Animate Pro is the best choice for an animator. Please note I don't mention action script as to an animator it's not priority. Adult swim is good. But it's not on par with The Simpsons. My point isnt that flash is bad. My point is that it's bad at professional and productive animation.

Toon Boom Studio could be learned in a few days. It's very simple. Animate pro, takes some time.

Hm ... i dont know man, i learned flash in 4 days i havent been able to learn TB completely. But i agree, toon boom is way better and more reliable