• 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 03:14 PM Reply

Psycho I guess. Well it's still somewhat thrilling, but I believe viewers at the time thought it was way scarier than viewers do nowadays.

Also, there's L'Arrivee d'un train en gare de La Ciotat that had people running out of the theatre screaming :p

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
SeekerFang17
SeekerFang17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 03:22 PM Reply

A Streetcar Named Desire

saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 2/25/13 03:22 PM, SeekerFang17 wrote: A Streetcar Named Desire

Marlon Brando still freaks me the fuck out

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 08:12 PM Reply

Halloween
Psycho
The Thing
Alien
Child's Play
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
A Nightmare on Elm Street

Every single one of these movies were ruined and diluted in the corrosive acid produced by their sequels.

Less is more.
I never wanted an explanation as to why Michael Myers was a killer. The original John Carpenter's Halloween showed Michael as nothing more than a dangerous mental patient who killed his sister when he was 6.
I never wanted Psycho sequels. Norman Bates could have stayed in that mental institution at the end of part one forever for all I care.
The Thing is actually a mild exception. I enjoyed the reboot, but it seemed very unnecessary. John Carpenter's version was itself a reboot. It felt like an excuse to ruin more mystery by using cheap and easy CGI, although I know they did try to use mostly real props.
Alien and Aliens were great. Didn't need the crappy 3rd one, 4th one, or Alien vs. Predator and the sequel to the spin-off which killed any need for part 3.
Child's Play was always kind of silly and stupid but it was like, why not? It was better than Leprechaun, and Chucky is another exception. His character has grown and became like the funny Freddy Kruger one-liner having movie killers. SEED OF CHUCKY SUCKS!
TCM and Leatherface was not really my cup of tea. The first one was alright, but I definitely think it's overrated. Like, Hellraiser overrated.
A Nightmare on Elm Street is still scary if you try to watch it without thinking about Freddy Kruger as he was later portrayed in sequels and the remake. IN the first one, he was still a mystery. Still very dark. Stuck more to the shadows. Killed his victims in less cartoony ways than in the sequels too. The murder of Tina is a very well put together scene in the movie.