Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Movie Buff
Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 04:10 AM Reply

anymore.

I'd say Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street or any of the classics. For some reason I didn't really get scared aside from the jump scares....or is that the point?

I have a penis

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Reader
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 04:13 AM Reply

Old horror movies. New effects in newer horror movies makes the old ones seem like a huge comedy.

undowenEd
undowenEd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Reader
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 04:14 AM Reply

scary movies never scared me im not retarded

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 04:15 AM Reply

At 2/25/13 04:13 AM, LiquidFire wrote: Old horror movies. New effects in newer horror movies makes the old ones seem like a huge comedy.

i dunno about that

there is no recent film that compares to nosferatu

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Provoke
Provoke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 04:16 AM Reply

The grudge used to scare the shit out of me as a kid, but I now find it extremely funny. The stairs scene especially.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 04:21 AM Reply

At 2/25/13 04:15 AM, Sekhem wrote: there is no recent film that compares to nosferatu

This.

Newer films usually only go for loud noises, jump scares, and gore. Shock horror fades quickly, but creepy atmospheres and suspense will stick with you for ages. There's nothing like the old classics.

Album of the Week Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas (2002) | Movie of the Week Genius Party (2007) Genius Party Beyond (2008)

BBS Signature
Goldfire64
Goldfire64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 04:24 AM Reply

honestly a big thing in horror is subtlety, which unfortunately Hollywood doesn't grasp correctly and the ones who do, know that a movie like that won't be able to compete with explosion summer blockbuster in space 2.

Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 04:24 AM Reply

At 2/25/13 04:14 AM, undowenEd wrote: scary movies never scared me im not retarded

Watch Highlander 2 sometime.

Your opinion will change my friend.

"Where I fall ten more shall take my place! And one-hundred each of them! So strike me down! I am the harbinger!"-Ollanius Pius

Buy me things.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 04:27 AM Reply

I remember watching Lion King as a kid. It scarred me deeply, so vicious and brutal it was. O_o

As for scary movies, I don't think I watched any scary movies that really scared me. Maybe I was dulled by scary games like Doom and Silent Hill when I started watching scary movies, those two were some frightful experiences when I started playing them!

jaminscript
jaminscript
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 05:10 AM Reply

At 2/25/13 04:10 AM, Wegra wrote: anymore.

I'd say Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street or any of the classics. For some reason I didn't really get scared aside from the jump scares....or is that the point?

Have you ever watched Hostel? It's not that scary, but I'm interested if it would make you cringe.

Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 05:24 AM Reply

Most scary movies after you watch them are not scary anymore.

いないいないばあ

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 05:48 AM Reply

Child's Play is silly nowadays. Tom Holland's films generally are.

Letterboxd/Lecter Crew"Halber Mensch is like the Katamari Damacy of Industrial minus the happy"-BoredLooney. Look at my sig. It's better than Bren's.

BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 06:08 AM Reply

I watched Castaway a long time ago and the airplane scene scared the fuck out of me.

but I never really watched many scary movies.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
TracyJacksonTAW
TracyJacksonTAW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 08:16 AM Reply

Friday the 13th isn't scary anymore. Freddie and Jason used to be spooky when I was younger, but now...I just get a good laugh or two whenever they kill somebody on film.

TracyJackson
The Art of Warfare gaming community Member
Apply into one of our dozen supported clans today! (TAW Clan)

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Audiophile
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 08:24 AM Reply

At 2/25/13 04:14 AM, undowenEd wrote: scary movies never scared me im not retarded

Fucking hardcore man, I bet you get more pussy than a toilet seat.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 08:27 AM Reply

Either you have seen them enough, they are that ingrained in the popular psyche, you aren't enjoying them in the right environmental conditions, you have watched too many Horror movies or culture has changed.

Probably all of them. I don't get scared from movies either. The jump scenes aren't supposed to be the scary parts, they are really for writers who are not talented enough to make a slow burn. It is supposed to be the atmosphere that does it.

Still, if we want to get into it, the original Horror, the Gothic novels, they often weren't scary. Indeed, the very first of these works - The Castle Of Otranto is not scary, just camp.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 08:29 AM Reply

At 2/25/13 04:13 AM, LiquidFire wrote: Old horror movies. New effects in newer horror movies makes the old ones seem like a huge comedy.

I disagree with this. CGI is less realistic than animatronics. Then flip side, of course, is that animatronics can be used to great effect in Horror Comedies (Braindead, Bad Taste, Evil Dead II, etc.).

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 09:51 AM Reply

I used to find Nightmare On Elm Street scary. When I was like....5 or 6. Ended up not wanting to watch it while I was a kid and avoided it til I was around 12 or 13. Then i ended up watching all of the movies and was okay with em.

even laughed at some of the really stupid deaths.

Other than that I can't say I've ever been scared of any other "scary movies".
Hell my sister drug me along to go see some movie with her an a friend of hers and her friend was scared in the seat next to me and I started to laugh a bit and she punched me!

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 09:56 AM Reply

To be honest, I never found Friday the 13h to be that scary. Gory? Yes. Gruesome? Yes. But never really that scary.

Nightmare on Elm Street did "suspense" way better than Friday the 13th, so I'd place Freddy ahead of Jason in terms of "scariness".

But nothing competes with Halloween I and II when it comes to suspenseful, awesome classic horror movies. I've seen Halloween I dozens of times, and can predict all of the screams and jump scares, but certain scenes still freak me out - like this one:

Scary movies that aren't scary anym

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
ill
ill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 09:56 AM Reply

The majority of scary movies, to me, aren't scary anymore. I recently watched "Seed of Chucky" and laughed at how I was scared by it back in the day.

BBS Signature
Dawcio510
Dawcio510
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 10:47 AM Reply

Really? I get only scared a little, but I still keep my mind open to that it is just an movie and they have special effects, why anyone would be retarded if he gets scared while watching a scary movie? Just, I can laugh at it... Perhaps you're not retarded, but not intelligent enough to use grammar.

"I fapped to this topic."
- Razeroath.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 10:48 AM Reply

Implying they once were.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 11:58 AM Reply

I find it funny that usually find things that is not marketed as horror scarier than actually horror movies. Maybe it is because it got that extra element of surprise or something when something scary actually does happen. Because sure a jump scare will always catch you off guard, but when Simba ventures into a elephant burial ground it is a little "what the fuck just happened with my kids movie?".

Also that fucking monkey toy from Toy Story 3!

Heads or tails?

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 12:24 PM Reply

I don't care much for the jump scare that so many movies goes for. Psychological thrillers are often much scarier, which is why some of the scenes from the shining still gives me chills.

BBS Signature
Schizo-Sephy
Schizo-Sephy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 12:45 PM Reply

I don't usually watch horror movies.
They just don't scare me.
I've experienced ghosts before so the ghost horror movies seem like a joke.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Melancholy
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 01:22 PM Reply

none of them are scary when you are older

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 02:06 PM Reply

Modern and classic horror movies have both lost their touch for me. Modern ones rely too much on jump scares which I just find boring and older ones are awesome but not scary. (I love Evil Dead)

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 02:41 PM Reply

Saying modern horror is bad is insane when you have films like Kill List and Berberian Sound Studio coming out. Kill List destroyed me in the cinema, not traditionally "scary" but oppressively tense and stressful.

I find that's the sort of horror that works best. The sort of horror where everything looks fine, but there's always a niggling sense that something is going to go horribly wrong very soon and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 02:46 PM Reply

IMO, there's no such thing as a scary movies. So-called "jump scares" don't count. That's just startling you and playing with your reflexes.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Grotty
Grotty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 02:59 PM Reply

IT, definitely.

It's more funny than it is scary.

Protect the Muska.