Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 07:41 PM Reply

After spending a few days importing all my old physical CDs, vinyls, and even cassettes (I have some classic Screw tapes, rare Memphis hip-hop like Low Down Da Sinista, Tommy Wright III etc) into iTunes, I wondered what hip-hop classics my collection was lacking. I currently have a full terabyte of hip-hop.

What classics would you recommend?

Some guidelines:

1. If it's mainstream (Beastie Boys, 2pac, Biggie etc), I have it.
2. If it's a southern classic (especially from Texas), I probably have it.
3. If it's a "classic" underground hip-hop record (The Pharcyde, Company Flow, Binary Star etc), I probably have it.

What I'm mostly looking for is regional classics or albums that are overlooked, obscure, or otherwise unknown.

I'll be happy to recommend you hip-hop, if you'd like, too.

Let's keep this thread free of genre debates, too. I'll just hope the mods help me out with that. I don't care if you prefer rock over hip-hop or if you think hip-hop is misogynistic or whatever - keep it to yourself.

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 07:43 PM Reply

Im listening to RJD2 but you probably have him if you have 1 terabyte of hip hop

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 07:46 PM Reply

I have a lot of album covers like this in my images folder.

Hip-Hop Classics

notYert
notYert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 07:46 PM Reply

shabazz palaces - black up is one of my favorite hip hop albums ever

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 07:48 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 07:47 PM, Cherry wrote:
At 2/24/13 07:46 PM, Entice wrote: I have a lot of album covers like this in my images folder.
Post moar please thankyou

Okay.

Hip-Hop Classics

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 07:51 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 07:47 PM, Cherry wrote:
At 2/24/13 07:46 PM, Entice wrote: I have a lot of album covers like this in my images folder.
Post moar please thankyou

Sure

Hip-Hop Classics

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 07:57 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 07:43 PM, BumFodder wrote: Im listening to RJD2 but you probably have him if you have 1 terabyte of hip hop

Yes, I have every RJD2 album. He's quite good, especially mHZ.

Imma try to find that. I actually posted that Big Pokey album on here the other day.

At 2/24/13 07:46 PM, notYert wrote: shabazz palaces - black up is one of my favorite hip hop albums ever

I love Shabazz Palaces.

Hip-Hop Classics

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
notYert
notYert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 07:59 PM Reply

trinidad jame$ - don't be s.a.f.e.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:02 PM Reply

jump around by house of pain

lel

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:07 PM Reply

God's Father Mixtape, Lil B

Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:12 PM Reply

I came here wanting to talk about stuff but I realise you probably have all that so I won't name-drop

So have the best hip hop artist in the South West of the UK right now, and just to be sure you definitely don't have it, I'll do the shit-hot acapella version with great beat boxers

I guess there's Leaf Dog and Adam & Cuth aswell if we're thinking South West (so very not the home of hip hop lol)

Hopefully this is interesting and new to you, as this is my local!

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:15 PM Reply

Ever since I listened to Jackin for Beats-By Ice Cube I cant help but to listen for sounds that were sampled and reused in other hits that I otherwise would have not cared for or even noticed.

Also, Here Comes the HotStepper

Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
AmericanZero
AmericanZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:21 PM Reply

Eyedea & Ablities - First Born
Oliver Hart - The Many Faces of Oliver Hart/ How Eye Won the Write too Think
Eyedea & Ablities - By The Throat
Quasimoto - The Unseen
MF DOOM - DOOMSDAY
Face Candy - This is Where we Were
any Abozorbr or Kristoff Krane albums, maybe youtube some of them to see what cds you'd want to partake in.

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:24 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 07:59 PM, notYert wrote: trinidad jame$ - don't be s.a.f.e.

lmao, alright

At 2/24/13 08:02 PM, Sequenced wrote: jump around by house of pain

I actually don't have any House of Pain. I'll fix that.

At 2/24/13 08:07 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: God's Father Mixtape, Lil B

I introduced Newgrounds to Lil B. I have every Lil B release. Every. Last. One.

At 2/24/13 08:12 PM, Otto wrote: I came here wanting to talk about stuff but I realise you probably have all that so I won't name-drop

So have the best hip hop artist in the South West of the UK right now, and just to be sure you definitely don't have it, I'll do the shit-hot acapella version with great beat boxers

I guess there's Leaf Dog and Adam & Cuth aswell if we're thinking South West (so very not the home of hip hop lol)

Hopefully this is interesting and new to you, as this is my local!

Feel free to namedrop any European Hip-Hop. I only have the mainstream stuff like Kano, Wiley, Durrty Goodz, Jovanotti, MC Solaar etc. Those are all good suggestions and I'll look into them all.

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 08:15 PM, Swag-in-a-Bag wrote: Ever since I listened to Jackin for Beats-By Ice Cube I cant help but to listen for sounds that were sampled and reused in other hits that I otherwise would have not cared for or even noticed.

Also, Here Comes the HotStepper

Ini Kamoze is more dancehall, isn't he? I'll check it out.

At 2/24/13 08:21 PM, AmericanZero wrote: Eyedea & Ablities - First Born
Oliver Hart - The Many Faces of Oliver Hart/ How Eye Won the Write too Think
Eyedea & Ablities - By The Throat
Face Candy - This is Where we Were
any Abozorbr or Kristoff Krane albums, maybe youtube some of them to see what cds you'd want to partake in.

Good suggestions. I don't really like Eyedea, though.

BBS Signature
AmericanZero
AmericanZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:35 PM Reply

yea I hate to be that guy.. haha but funny four of my sugestions were eyedea. I've actually narrowed my music listening down to only eyedea, I have recently drifted into Modest Mouse, and from occasion Nine Inch Nails.. and between the three people

Isaac Brock
Trent Reznor
and Eyedea

they are all talking about the same things.. Idk I feel like if I could make music sound good it would sound similar to them so I like when the voice in my head is more creative.

if you haven't I strongly suggest the FIrst Born album as a whole though, it might just be me but it's very concept heavy and has some great mind expanding abstract topics. But I do take a lot of drugs which may help, to each their own.

what's your personal first recommendation you'd give? maybe based on Eyedea being my favorite rapper?

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:40 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 08:24 PM, Sekhem wrote: Feel free to namedrop any European Hip-Hop. I only have the mainstream stuff like Kano, Wiley, Durrty Goodz, Jovanotti, MC Solaar etc. Those are all good suggestions and I'll look into them all.

Ahh I think you'd know more about European hip hop than me. I know a fair bit of UK and local hip hop and a fair bit of American stuff, but most things inbetween are lost on me.

So sorry I only just remembered Foreign Beggars though
Also Dizraeli did a lot of collaborations that are all worth checking out - lots of variety there.

Jazz-hop?

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:44 PM Reply

I'd say Donuts by Jay Dilla is a classic, and it's really good.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Mizzjuicyflava
Mizzjuicyflava
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Reader
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:46 PM Reply

Asheru
Dilated Peoples
Crucial Conflict
AZ

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature
AmericanZero
AmericanZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 08:44 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'd say Donuts by Jay Dilla is a classic, and it's really good.

this is always good choice.

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 08:35 PM, AmericanZero wrote: what's your personal first recommendation you'd give? maybe based on Eyedea being my favorite rapper?

Hangar 18 - The Multi-Platinum Debut Album ("emo" hip-hop)
Any Atmosphere record (see above)
Scapegoat Wax - Okeeblow
Dalek - Absence (industrial-tinged hip-hop)
Leak Bros - Waterworld (collaboration between Cage and Tame One, my favorite Cage album)

At 2/24/13 08:40 PM, Otto wrote: Ahh I think you'd know more about European hip hop than me. I know a fair bit of UK and local hip hop and a fair bit of American stuff, but most things inbetween are lost on me.

So sorry I only just remembered Foreign Beggars though
Also Dizraeli did a lot of collaborations that are all worth checking out - lots of variety there.

Jazz-hop?

All things you suggested are new to me.

I think the main reason European hip-hop is lost on me is that it's too blended with other genres. In the 90s it was almost always blended with electronic music in 'trip-hop' or whatever you want to call it, in the early 2000s it was UK garage, and nowadays it's mixed with dubstep, typically. I really do love UK Garage, though.

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 08:24 PM, Sekhem wrote: Feel free to namedrop any European Hip-Hop. I only have the mainstream stuff like Kano, Wiley, Durrty Goodz, Jovanotti, MC Solaar etc. Those are all good suggestions and I'll look into them all.

UK stuff - lowkey, akala, devlin, task force, skinnyman, yungen, mystro, roots manuva

US stuff - souls of mischief, geto boys, jurassic 5, DJ format, fela soul, the pharcyde, digable planets, funkyDL

really wide mix of styles there, must be something you don't know

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
AmericanZero
AmericanZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:55 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 08:50 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 2/24/13 08:35 PM, AmericanZero wrote: what's your personal first recommendation you'd give? maybe based on Eyedea being my favorite rapper?
Hangar 18 - The Multi-Platinum Debut Album ("emo" hip-hop)
Any Atmosphere record (see above)
Scapegoat Wax - Okeeblow
Dalek - Absence (industrial-tinged hip-hop)
Leak Bros - Waterworld (collaboration between Cage and Tame One, my favorite Cage album)

gah I appreciate the recommendations but Eyedea really isn't Emo rap so you may have misunderstood my approach or maybe his approach. lol but no offense taken

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:57 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 08:44 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'd say Donuts by Jay Dilla is a classic, and it's really good.

I have almost the entire catalogue of Stones Throw (except some of the wack shit Madlib has done lately). Donuts is definitely a classic.

At 2/24/13 08:46 PM, Mizzjuicyflava wrote: Asheru
Dilated Peoples
Crucial Conflict
AZ

Asheru and Crucial Conflict I do not have! Good suggestions.

UK stuff - lowkey, devlin, task force, skinnyman, yungen, mystro, roots manuva

US stuff - DJ format, fela soul, funkyDL

Great suggestions. I've totally forgotten about DJ Format and that's the first I've heard of a few of those UK artists.

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 08:50 PM, Sekhem wrote: I think the main reason European hip-hop is lost on me is that it's too blended with other genres. In the 90s it was almost always blended with electronic music in 'trip-hop' or whatever you want to call it, in the early 2000s it was UK garage, and nowadays it's mixed with dubstep, typically. I really do love UK Garage, though.

We don't have any desire to make really pure hip-hop I suppose. We need to find a way to make it our own because we're too stubborn to cohere to the way the US proudly does it.

also yes Dromey! I forgot Akala

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 here's a few more that you might not have now I search my bookmarks a bit

BBS Signature
AmericanZero
AmericanZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 08:59 PM Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0nc86mD9-A

this dudes flow right here^ his voice is cool too

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 09:00 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 08:57 PM, Sekhem wrote: Great suggestions. I've totally forgotten about DJ Format and that's the first I've heard of a few of those UK artists.

are you familiar with the youtube channel SBTV? it's pretty much the hub of UK rap and hip hop at the moment,it has tons of exclusive raps from new and old talent, it's a good channel to keep an eye on

it's got a lot of stuff like this

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 09:01 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 08:55 PM, AmericanZero wrote: gah I appreciate the recommendations but Eyedea really isn't Emo rap so you may have misunderstood my approach or maybe his approach. lol but no offense taken

Try out what I suggested. It's very similar. It's all "storytelling"/backpacker/lo-fi/alternative rap. I don't know how else to define it. Emo is not a pejorative or a reference to the subculture of the same name.

At 2/24/13 08:59 PM, Otto wrote: We don't have any desire to make really pure hip-hop I suppose. We need to find a way to make it our own because we're too stubborn to cohere to the way the US proudly does it.

also yes Dromey! I forgot Akala
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 here's a few more that you might not have now I search my bookmarks a bit

I have Akala's Doublethink album. Anything else good from Akala?

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 09:03 PM Reply

Will Smith, Big Willie Style...

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Hip-Hop Classics Feb. 24th, 2013 @ 09:06 PM Reply

At 2/24/13 09:01 PM, Sekhem wrote: I have Akala's Doublethink album. Anything else good from Akala?

knowledge is power mixtape, vol 1 is excellent

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature