• 2 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Is there a 'proper' way 2 learn AS? Feb. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:22 AM

I've purchased a few books (Learning Action Script 3.0 by Shupe and Rosser, Game Design with Flash by friendsof ED, etc) completed one of them, currently reading through another and doing all the exercises, and STILL, programming almost totally eludes me. It is one of the most frustratingly difficult subjects I have ever tried to learn. Granted I have no friends with similar interests in this department and my girlfriend doesn't approve of me locking myself away in my man-cave trying to learn this stuff; so add to the fact that I have some sort of natural mental retardation preventing me from learning how to code that I have literally no support from anyone around me, and...I honestly am starting to feel like giving up. Sure I've only been trying to learn for about three weeks now while working full time, BUT STILL, I've become incredibly unmotivated.

How did you people do it?! How the hell did you become so skilled at coding? What are you secrets?

fyko-chan
fyko-chan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Is there a 'proper' way 2 learn AS? Feb. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:28 AM

1: Use the flash forum
2: Look at tutorials
3: Make "games", not good ones, just to learn things. (Jumping, hittesting, following etc. )

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Is there a 'proper' way 2 learn AS? Feb. 23rd, 2013 @ 09:14 AM

At 2/23/13 04:22 AM, pickpocket wrote: What are you secrets?

There is no secret; you just practice. Spending 3 weeks learning is not adequate even for an experienced programmer to learn a language, let alone someone whom is new to programming entirely.
I've been programming for a little over 10 years now and it still takes me 4-6 months to learn a brand new language well enough to be able to put it on my resume. Don't beat yourself up just because you're having difficulty as a beginner; we've all been there, including myself.

And in the future please keep ActionScript related questions in the Flash forum.