http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmPI9NChia8

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-22 17:31:17 Reply

Normally I'd go into my usual "video thread" rant but accepting this as a general discussion of the awards.

Picture: zero dark thirty. It's historical and also present. I see it edging out argo

Actor: Bradley Cooper. Overcoming metal illenss is oscar gold.

Actress: Jessica Chastain. Topical, political, take charge woman who gets it done. I see it happening

Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway. She's Anne Hathaway

Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin. No explaining is needed

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-22 17:48:38 Reply

My prediction is that some people are going to win but other people will lose.

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-22 17:51:50 Reply

At 2/22/13 05:48 PM, Viper50 wrote: My prediction is that some people are going to win but other people will lose.

Hmmm bold choice.

Let's see if it pans out.

Also, I haven't seen a single movie up for an Oscar this year so I have no picks.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-22 17:52:04 Reply

I'd put my money on Lincoln winning Best Picture. I'm not sure about the other categories.

What I'm hoping for:

Best Picture: Django Unchained*
Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
Best Actor Supporting Role: Philip Seymour Hoffman
Best Actress: Emmanuelle Riva
Best Actress Supporting Role: Anna Hathaway

*Basically I'd just like to see Tarantino winning for once. I've seen five out of those nine films so far and none feel like a clear winner to me.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-22 17:52:21 Reply

At 2/22/13 05:48 PM, Viper50 wrote: My prediction is that some people are going to win but other people will lose.

My prediction is a that a few will win and most will lose

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-22 17:55:56 Reply

At 2/22/13 05:53 PM, Natick wrote:
No shit...

le

Also I have never heard of any of these films

85th Academy Awards Prediction

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-22 18:38:47 Reply

I predict it will go to shit like it always does. :/

presspaws
presspaws
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-22 22:54:39 Reply

At 2/22/13 05:52 PM, BumFodder wrote:
My prediction is a that a few will win and most will lose

My prediction is that the winners will be happy.

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-22 23:03:15 Reply

My prediction is that Seth Macfarlane will run screaming onto the stage when a winner thanks God.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
presspaws
presspaws
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 08:25:31 Reply

At 2/22/13 11:21 PM, Natick wrote:
At 2/22/13 11:03 PM, stafffighter wrote: My prediction is that Seth Macfarlane will run screaming onto the stage when a winner thanks God.
There aren't that many black nominees though.

Wait, are there?

Denzel Washington

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 09:28:22 Reply

I've not seen many of the films nominated, but I have seen Lincoln and Argo (as well as Django).

Of those Lincoln basically revolves around one great performance, so Daniel Day Lewis will no doubt win best actor, but otherwise the film was far too slow for my tastes as a viewer. It suffers from exactly the same problem as Argo in that as a historical drama you know full well the outcome from the moment you start watching, so tension is hard to build.

Argo was both brilliant and awful in equal measure. It was more enjoyable to watch, with a more enthralling story that took a few decent twists and turns, though again we all knew the outcome. It's hard to see past the horrible historical inaccuracies, blatant anti Iranian propaganda and one sided pro CIA story telling, and utterly wooden performances from the majority of the cast (Goodman and Arkin aside) though. I would be really disappointed to see this win best film, though Arkin has a good shot at best supporting actor.

Django was by far my favourite of the three, but as we all know being popular with the public and more watchable means nothing with these awards. I'd be utterly stunned if it won a major award, even though many feel Tarantino is one of the best directors around and deserves some credit. His films are just too controversial to win though. Waltz won't win this time, the role is too similar to his part in Inglorious.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 10:18:31 Reply

Anne Hathaway better get best supporting actress for her perfromance in Les Mis.

It'd also be awesome if Les Mis gets best picture.

I swear to god, though, if that super Oscar Bait piece of crap Lincoln gets it...

Good.

supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 10:27:54 Reply

i hope nobody is too disappointed with the results this year . . .

--supergandhi64

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 10:44:09 Reply

At 2/23/13 10:18 AM, squidly wrote: Anne Hathaway better get best supporting actress for her perfromance in Les Mis.

I swear to god, though, if that super Oscar Bait piece of crap Lincoln gets it...

So in your mind the 18th century French musical with an allstar cast is something other than oscar bait? Don't get me wrong here. I like Les Mis. I have never seen this version and I don't plan to. But you have Anne Hathaway playing a prostitute who cuts her hair and sings. All this in a year where no one played a Nazi.

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 11:07:27 Reply

At 2/23/13 10:44 AM, stafffighter wrote:
At 2/23/13 10:18 AM, squidly wrote: Anne Hathaway better get best supporting actress for her perfromance in Les Mis.

So in your mind the 18th century French musical with an allstar cast is something other than oscar bait? Don't get me wrong here. I like Les Mis. I have never seen this version and I don't plan to. But you have Anne Hathaway playing a prostitute who cuts her hair and sings. All this in a year where no one played a Nazi.

Well, I like to think of it as an inevitable good rendition of a very good musical.

And uh, Les Mis: The Musical was written in 1980. It would truly be Oscar Bait if it were a direct adaptation of the book.

I've had this argument before, and while it may be oscar bait, it definitely rises above for the fact that all the actors, even the extras, constantly challenge themselves in some rather ridiculously far-fetched roles (Hugh Jackman and Russel Crowe SINGING) and the ones who really stole the show are the unsung heroes - the ensemble was perfectly casted.

I think it really was just a well put together movie, though I understand the budget and the three big names (in a sea of talented nobodies, may I add) make it Oscar Bait.

It is still a good movie, and it still deserves every bit of praise it gets.

My only complaint was that the beginning was rather slow, some things in musicals on stage DO NOT translate to movies, that's why the beginning scenes just seemed to drag - how long is Hugh Jackman going to be on that altar trying to become a new man?

The movie really picks up during the second act, which I believe is possibly one of the best acts in musical history.

Props to the fact they didn't pick an "easy" musical, this is an extremely difficult and unforgiving musical which is almost entirely sung through and has a "miss the beat-lose the everything" tolerance, and the fact that these "spoiled movie actors" got it right and SANG ON CAMERA makes it just a wonderful achievement.

But yea, it's probably Oscar Bait.

Good.

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 11:40:09 Reply

At 2/23/13 11:07 AM, squidly wrote:
And uh, Les Mis: The Musical was written in 1980. It would truly be Oscar Bait if it were a direct adaptation of the book.

I don't know you from Adam but I'm picturing the worst kind of theater snob starting that correction with "And, uh" then flipping your scarf

I've had this argument before, and while it may be oscar bait, it definitely rises above for the fact that all the actors, even the extras, constantly challenge themselves in some rather ridiculously far-fetched roles (Hugh Jackman and Russel Crowe SINGING) and the ones who really stole the show are the unsung heroes - the ensemble was perfectly casted.

Russel Crow has a band and Hugh Jackman comes from a musical theater background. You are way too high on knowing stuff to not know that.

I think it really was just a well put together movie, though I understand the budget and the three big names (in a sea of talented nobodies, may I add) make it Oscar Bait.

It is still a good movie, and it still deserves every bit of praise it gets.

If you like the movie go right ahead. I like my share of schlock.

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 11:47:29 Reply

At 2/23/13 11:40 AM, stafffighter wrote: I don't know you from Adam but I'm picturing the worst kind of theater snob starting that correction with "And, uh" then flipping your scarf

I'm imagining Roger Ebert.

Russel Crow has a band and Hugh Jackman comes from a musical theater background. You are way too high on knowing stuff to not know that.

Yea, but they don't do it often, so it was still a shocker. Hey, I thought of it as a pleasent surprise.

If you like the movie go right ahead. I like my share of schlock.

This conversation is too mainstream for me.

Good.

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 11:54:39 Reply

At 2/23/13 11:47 AM, squidly wrote:
At 2/23/13 11:40 AM, stafffighter wrote: I don't know you from Adam but I'm picturing the worst kind of theater snob starting that correction with "And, uh" then flipping your scarf
I'm imagining Roger Ebert.

Dude. That is just uncalled for. You know he can't wear scarves anymore. Low blow man, low blow.

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 12:16:03 Reply

I think "Argo" is probably going to win Best Picture. I don't care much about the other categories, because there are a seemingly infinite number of people who are going to win them, much less the nominated ones. I have been looking through movies that were good examples of "tropes" and I can't seem to find any released this year that are Oscar nominated for Best Picture.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

presspaws
presspaws
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 22:35:59 Reply

At 2/23/13 10:27 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: i hope nobody is too disappointed with the results this year . . .

--supergandhi64

I bet everyone will be.

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-23 22:55:04 Reply

Some British movie about some historical event with men in suits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

presspaws
presspaws
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-24 10:20:38 Reply

The oscars air tonight!

Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-24 18:18:24 Reply

I'm interested in seeing how Paperman does... I figure it's the most Newgrounds relevant nominee ;)

Up for Short Film - Animated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqmh1GoZjnw

Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-24 22:17:44 Reply

Anyone saw that one coming? It's not often that a tie occurs, I was hoping Skyfall would be part of the tie, glad it did.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-24 23:02:50 Reply

At 2/24/13 10:17 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Anyone saw that one coming? It's not often that a tie occurs, I was hoping Skyfall would be part of the tie, glad it did.

Care to... you know... elaborate?

Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-24 23:03:52 Reply

I want Adele to be the next perso cut off by Jaws.

Yeah, I said it.

BBS Signature
Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-24 23:05:06 Reply

At 2/24/13 11:03 PM, Emma wrote: perso

Darn he got to me first :(

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-24 23:12:12 Reply

At 2/24/13 11:02 PM, FBIpolux wrote:
At 2/24/13 10:17 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Anyone saw that one coming? It's not often that a tie occurs, I was hoping Skyfall would be part of the tie, glad it did.
Care to... you know... elaborate?

Zero Dark Thirty and Skyfall both won for best sound editing.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 85th Academy Awards Prediction 2013-02-24 23:13:23 Reply

At 2/24/13 11:08 PM, Natick wrote: Anne Hathaway won.

I'll always remember her for her role in "Princess Diaries" and "The Devil Wears Prada" when on the latter in a scene with Meryl Streep not wearing makeup, Hathaway put tons of them in.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature