New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 09:27:34 Reply

They didn't list the console price or even show the console. And I'm not interested in anything that was listed. I'm staying skeptical.

BBS Signature
BoobMarley
BoobMarley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 10:09:37 Reply

PS4: Sony Playstation Graphics-Upgrade 2013

When there's going to a leap in the quality of graphics comparable to the leap of the SNES to N64, then yes - it is an appropriate time to introduce a new console.

When there is going to be an innovation in the way players use and interact with the console, like perhaps when the Wii introduced us to motion sensing (which of course seemed completely retarded and lame and not even fun to Sony fanboys during the Wii's premier... and then of course was rad when Sony came way too late to the party, and brought way too little with it's shitty Move controller. Yes, the WiiMote with the gay pinkpong ball on the end), or tried to integrate a hand-held console (Wii U, son) into the mix, then yes - is an appropriate time introduce a new console.

I'm not a nutrider for Nintendo or Microsoft or Sony or anyone really. I enjoy games on all consoles and on PC as well. The Wii was the last great console. I'm not talking about games here, fellas, I'm talking strictly about the console. Currently, motion sensing and the Wii U are what set Nintendo's console apart from playing a game on your computer. Yeah, Xbox and PS3 tried to jump into that arena too, but without as much success (to Microsoft's credit though, Kinect doesn't suck as hard as Move and the rumor is that they want to go further with the technology and create an entirely new gaming experience).

If you want to get a PS4 because of its specs, and because it's shiny and new... consider suping up your PC instead. If all you're looking for in a gaming experience is to sit in front of the screen, mash some buttons, and immerse yourself in fantasy and excitement, you can do that with a computer. And your graphics can be much better. I promise you, that on the day the PS4 is released, you will be able to build a personal computer that completely blows it away in respects to graphics, sound, and interface.

tl;dr - the PS4 doesn't offer gamers anything they can't get from a PC. Sony is not offering anything to the world of console gaming. Go play Diablo III on your computer. It came out almost a year ago.

kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 11:16:38 Reply

All I have to say is wow, what a weak game lineup. (Warning: Personal taste) As for the console itself I won't judge it until people can review it hands on even though it seems pretty meh.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 11:33:47 Reply

At 2/21/13 10:09 AM, BoobMarley wrote: tl;dr - the PS4 doesn't offer gamers anything they can't get from a PC. Sony is not offering anything to the world of console gaming. Go play Diablo III on your computer. It came out almost a year ago.

As a PC gamer you should want consoles to be as powerful as possible. I'm sick and tired of multiplatform releases being stripped down so they can run on hardware that wasn't even high end when it was released 8 years ago.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
VinchenzoFlux
VinchenzoFlux
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 13:49:51 Reply

I adore the dualshock - it's perfect and a symbol of the Playstation. I don't get peoples' obsession with the Xbox controller with flipping the stick and d-pad. Just because the Wii U is doing something, doesn't mean everyone needs to do the same. The point of getting a console is to play it on the big screen. Why do you need to play it on the portable?

Yeah the Vita thing was cool but I don't think I need it. If the games look this great and the new xbox makes only new games playable with only being to play online, I might just go for sony. Loyalty obviously has no benefits anyways.
As for the controller for the 360, everyone likes it because of how spaced out and comfotable the controller feels, I hardly like to play ps3 because I have big hands and the controller is way too small for me.

Avoid The Loid

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 13:55:49 Reply

:I hardly like to play ps3 because I have big hands and the controller is way too small for me.
You'll like the PS4 controller because it looks quite big and sturdy.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 14:06:46 Reply

Sony wasn't going to be late to the party like there were last time it seems. I wish we could've seen some actual gameplay so that we can have an idea of what the Playstation 4 is really going to be capable of.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 14:20:51 Reply

At 2/21/13 02:06 PM, Cootie wrote: Sony wasn't going to be late to the party like there were last time it seems. I wish we could've seen some actual gameplay so that we can have an idea of what the Playstation 4 is really going to be capable of.

We did. Knack, Infamous, Killzone and the witness (or whatever it is).

BBS Signature
CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 14:28:22 Reply

so no half life 3 i mena come on id buy ps4 just for that bye

Thanks Chdonga for the signature. <3

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 14:41:04 Reply

apparently the PS4 will use your real name like on the Wii U and Miiverse. I would prefer it if they kept the user names, and we better be able to transfer our games and shit from our ps3 like with the Wii and Wii U.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 14:51:43 Reply

At 2/21/13 02:41 PM, darkjam wrote: apparently the PS4 will use your real name like on the Wii U and Miiverse. I would prefer it if they kept the user names, and we better be able to transfer our games and shit from our ps3 like with the Wii and Wii U.

You can't. No backwards compatibility, and previous PSN purchases are not carried over.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/psn-transfers-ps4/

So those PS1 and PS2 games you bought on your PS3? You'll have to pay for them again to play them on your PS4.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Stretchysumo
Stretchysumo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 15:30:30 Reply

At 2/21/13 02:41 PM, darkjam wrote: apparently the PS4 will use your real name like on the Wii U and Miiverse. I would prefer it if they kept the user names, and we better be able to transfer our games and shit from our ps3 like with the Wii and Wii U.

That's completely fucking retarded. What about people who have the same name?

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature
BoobMarley
BoobMarley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 16:09:03 Reply

At 2/21/13 11:33 AM, TheMaster wrote: As a PC gamer you should want consoles to be as powerful as possible. I'm sick and tired of multiplatform releases being stripped down so they can run on hardware that wasn't even high end when it was released 8 years ago.

I think you missed my point. Playing games on a console needs to be an entirely different experience than playing games on the PC if a console has any hope of surviving. Even if GRAPHICS for Diablo III on a PS4 were comparable to the highest-end gaming rig you could build out of a PC, why would you play the PS4 version? Why? The controller? The big use of a television as monitor? You can already do that from your computer.

My point is that the PS4 is a redundancy. The world of console gaming has changed, and Sony offers us nothing that we cannot get elsewhere. It's really pathetic that they think GRAPHICS is what's going to win folks over in the gaming market. Like I said before, unless the leap is comparable to the one from the SNES to N64, they shouldn't even bother making a new console.

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 17:40:07 Reply

So those PS1 and PS2 games you bought on your PS3? You'll have to pay for them again to play them on your PS4.

That's bullshit1 They better fix this in the future! It solitude be their top priority! I'm not going to buy Rainbow six and all those again! (Ok, I probably will, because Spyro is awesome) they better at least be on the store on release date!

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 17:49:05 Reply

At 2/21/13 11:33 AM, TheMaster wrote: As a PC gamer you should want consoles to be as powerful as possible.

Consoles don't need to be as strong as a gaming PC. They only need to be strong enough to actually run games. In other words, you don't need more than 2 - 4 gigs of RAM nor do you need a ridiculously fast GPU and CPU. 8 gigs of RAM is complete overkill. What game uses more than 2 or 4?

Psychopathic-Mind
Psychopathic-Mind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-21 18:43:54 Reply

At 2/21/13 05:40 PM, darkjam wrote:
That's bullshit1 They better fix this in the future! It solitude be their top priority! I'm not going to buy Rainbow six and all those again! (Ok, I probably will, because Spyro is awesome) they better at least be on the store on release date!

They've said that you can't transfer yet, not to mention... why would you have to buy them again? You can still play them if you already have them.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-22 12:26:47 Reply

They've said that you can't transfer yet, not to mention... why would you have to buy them again? You can still play them if you already have them.

Yeah I know, but I might give my PS3 to my brother who is in Leicester.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-23 14:02:56 Reply

At 2/21/13 02:28 PM, CrazyRock wrote: so no half life 3 i mena come on id buy ps4 just for that bye

Honestly why are people getting so hyped up for this? I know they are great games, but the PS4 will have some amazing games other than Half Life 3 (that is if it comes out)

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-23 14:49:50 Reply

At 2/21/13 05:49 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote: 8 gigs of RAM is complete overkill. What game uses more than 2 or 4?

Clearly you're not thinking about the later years of a console's lifetime.

Yes, it may be overkill now, but in 5 years or more it may be exactly what is needed.

Also, realistic game makers are limited by the hardware that is commonly available, or that will be available by launch.

Fuoco
Fuoco
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-24 10:12:35 Reply

The PS4 has no games lol

Sakura's theme | Bunnykill 5
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-24 10:27:56 Reply

At 2/24/13 10:12 AM, Fuoco wrote: The PS4 has no games lol

Killzone
Infamous
Deep Down
Driver Club
Destiny
Watch dogs.
Check your facts before you go off typing bullshit.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-26 13:19:00 Reply

At 2/21/13 02:06 PM, Cootie wrote: Sony wasn't going to be late to the party like there were last time

Maybe that thing about Microsoft making the first move was a ploy, or they just changed their minds.

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-26 16:10:14 Reply

People can say all they want about how it's gay and lame because of the social media features, but that's the world we live in today.
Steam has had the option of sharing screenshots, etc with people on Facebook for quite some time now, who complained? Not a lot of people, if any. Do you wonder why? Because a majority of those gamers are the "Superior PC Master Race Leet" types. Oh, but now a console has a similar function, so let's bash the hell out of it.

Get real. The PS4 will be great, and I will be buying it. Not on launch like I did with the PS3, but shortly after if everything goes according to plan. I have high hopes for it, Sony hasn't disappointed me yet.

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

PotHeadParadise
PotHeadParadise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-26 21:24:39 Reply

shits gonna be amazing man. Future for video games is finally here.

Smoke. Sleep. Life. "Inhale the good shit exhale the bullshit" - Your peaceful dude PotHeadParadise

Peace And Love For A Better World

BBS Signature
TracyJacksonTAW
TracyJacksonTAW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-26 22:23:07 Reply

PS4 should be a good console...will be looking forward to that, but I'll always be a XBox/PC loyalist, lol xP

TracyJackson
The Art of Warfare gaming community Member
Apply into one of our dozen supported clans today! (TAW Clan)

MonoBro
MonoBro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-02-28 23:28:39 Reply

Being a PC gamer myself, I'm happy that the PS4 will be using Directx11 and a more standard processor. Hopefully games in the future will be a bit more optimized to my gaming habits. If Sony is able to get a bunch of fun, exclusive titles that I'm interested in for their system, I'll buy one without a second thought. Most consoles are close to or lesser than their PC cousins in hardware; it's really the games that sell the systems, not the hardware itself.

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-03-02 18:34:30 Reply

At 2/28/13 11:28 PM, MonoBro wrote: Being a PC gamer myself, I'm happy that the PS4 will be using Directx11 and a more standard processor.

That 8gb of RAM will be really good to use for developers, I wonders what games will push the boundaries of PS$?

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-03-02 21:32:14 Reply

Can't wait to run Linux or BSD on it. Some rumors that they will have OpenGL native, so I'm very happy. 8GB of RAM, quite decent to become an affordable computer.

MonoBro
MonoBro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-03-02 22:51:34 Reply

At 3/2/13 06:34 PM, darkjam wrote: That 8gb of RAM will be really good to use for developers, I wonders what games will push the boundaries of PS$?

To my understanding, GDDR5 has higher latency but much higher bandwidth. DDR3 seems better used for CPUs due to its lower latency considering current CPUs are somewhat capped by how much bandwidth they can effectively put to good use. The GDDR5 used for the PS4 is supposedly shared allowing the console to allocate how much RAM is used for which component (ex - 2GB for the CPU, 6GB for the GPU or 4GB for the CPU, 4GB for the GPU). Since the PS4 is going to be pretty app heavy, especially with the new share features, being able to switch RAM allocation on-the-fly was probably why they went with the GDDR5 for both the CPU and GPU. The only considerable con is the heat often associated with GDDR5. Hopefully the PS4 has sufficient cooling to dissipate the GDDR5's heat.

I'm really interested to see what developers will do with the touchpad and motion controls. The under-use of the Dualshock 3's gyroscope was kind of disappointing. Hopefully the new controller gets a bit more use.

will222222
will222222
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to PlayStation 4 thread! 2013-03-03 07:10:07 Reply

At 2/24/13 10:27 AM, darkjam wrote:
At 2/24/13 10:12 AM, Fuoco wrote: The PS4 has no games lol
Killzone
Infamous
Deep Down
Driver Club
Destiny
Watch dogs.
Check your facts before you go off typing bullshit.

It's a bad lineup for announcing a console.

Killzone looks decent, like an average shooter, just with PS4 graphics.
Infamous looked interesting, but we only saw a trailer and no gameplay at all, so I'll remain skeptical.
Deep Down also looked interesting, but again, just one trailer and no gameplay, besides, Capcom made it, so I'm fearing an overkill of DLC.
Driver Club, I don't really care much for racing games, guess it can be good for someone who does.
Destiny will come out on all Microsoft consoles too, which means that it hardly counts as a good reason to buy the PS4, also, since they didn't announce what this exclusive content was I assume it's either lacking, or there'll be other content for the Nextbox, looks like a fucking amazing game though.
Watch dogs, is also for Microsoft consoles, again doesn't help the PS4.
The Witness, which you forgot to list, looks interesting though, but hardly enough to make me buy the console.