New Topic Respond to this Topic
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 20th, 2013 @ 09:53 PM Reply

Okay here's why I kinda agree with your friend, playing an instrument has the performance and improvisation aspects that you don't really need at all as a producer. Motor skills, timing, spontaneity, being both in the groove and having a mental overview of the song or set you're playing. When you have the whole song in front of you in the DAW all that is mostly intellectual work that you can do whenever you please, and which imo depends a lot on talent. Hence why you have star producers with only a few years of experience, while it takes a long time and immense dedication to become a great or even decent player of your chosen instrument

well unless you play bass

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 20th, 2013 @ 10:30 PM Reply

At 2/20/13 09:53 PM, Buoy wrote: well unless you play bass

E...E...E...E...

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 21st, 2013 @ 09:31 AM Reply

Soooooo, why are we giving a shit about this?

Your friend has badly informed opinions; let's call them prejudices. Although that may be aggravating in conversation, does it really matter?

Anything can be easy or hard. Mastering anything will be always be harder than "being able to do it". Comparing which of two things is "harder" is pretty futile; getting worked up over it will not get you any better at either of them. Stop wasting your time on pointless arguments, instead, spend your time on your craft.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 21st, 2013 @ 11:36 AM Reply

At 2/21/13 09:31 AM, Mich wrote: Soooooo, why are we giving a shit about this?

basically I'm just hating on TC right now lmfao

lel

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 21st, 2013 @ 11:38 AM Reply

At 2/20/13 09:53 PM, Buoy wrote: Hence why you have star producers with only a few years of experience, while it takes a long time and immense dedication to become a great or even decent player of your chosen instrument

I play the triangle and I agree entirely.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 21st, 2013 @ 05:10 PM Reply

Comparing apples with pears.
Saying playing saxophone takes more effort than making techno is like saying winning the olympics in swimming is more difficult than running. It just depends on what you practice and what you're good at. Different things, different people.
No matter what kind of instrument you play or what kind of music you make, you compete with anyone who does the same thing, and not with those that do something else. In any case, you have to try the best you can, and that's always as difficult as can be.

BBS Signature
JohnMurati
JohnMurati
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 06:10 PM Reply

To be honest with you, I understand where your friend is coming from. I personally love every kind of music genre except Techno & Metal. The thing with techno and musicians is that some of them see is as effortless because it's not made with "Real" instruments. Yet IMO one must admire the skills of others whether you like the skill or not.

Cheap SoundCloud Plays - PromoteUrMusic.com
Your Own Website From Only $24 - ColorlyMedia.com

samulis
samulis
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 25th, 2013 @ 07:46 PM Reply

At 2/21/13 05:10 PM, SourJovis wrote: Comparing apples with pears.
Saying playing saxophone takes more effort than making techno is like saying winning the olympics in swimming is more difficult than running. It just depends on what you practice and what you're good at. Different things, different people.

Yeah, it boils down to how fast you can turn random knobs vs. how fast you can press random keys. The secret of all music!

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 28th, 2013 @ 01:57 AM Reply

It's clear some of you have strong opinions regarding your personal tastes.

Sometimes you might find the PM system a little more suitable for arguments of a particular nature?

SkyeWintrest
SkyeWintrest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 28th, 2013 @ 08:13 AM Reply

I can say for near-certainty that making polished-sounding EDM is less difficult than making polished-sounding jazz. I recently spent 99 hours on a 5-minute jazz piece - that's almost 20 hours per minute of polished work!

In the meantime, I've started making something that is (while still in my own style) Trance. To my ears, it sounds pretty darn good - checked with some other people, and they generally agree. It's about 2 minutes and 20 seconds long at the moment. Total time spent: 8 hours. Less than 4 hours per minute of reasonably polished work.

Using time alone, the calculator doesn't lie.

Not saying EDM is easy, period. It's not. It's just really formulaic (generally), and being 'original' seems to mean putting some extra original flair that makes it sound different. Considering with more composition-heavy genres, you need to do this a LOT more, it's not that hard to make it sound original. The main difficulty is effect/mixer-related. If you're making everything yourself, then I can see how much harder it would be. However, there's nothing wrong with using presets - they're a tool and are not taboo for music.

Oh yeah, also, playing an instrument is a lot harder than you'd think. Depending on your part, you might end up practicing for about 20+ hours per piece of music. Just going by time alone, I'd guess that this is about the same as most people spend creating the music. There's also all the time spent before, practicing your skills using exercises that aren't even a piece of music in order to get *just* the right sound. Nothing to compare that to in composition aside from maybe making random projects that aren't full pieces of music SPECIFICALLY to practice a facet of mixing or composition.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 28th, 2013 @ 09:33 AM Reply

I wonder why so many people say making electronic music and still they're not famous
btw it all depends, there's a friend of mine that plays pianoforte, violin and another classical instrument, and he doesn't even know what a DAW is

pointless arguments everywhere on this forum

SUCK MY KICK

SkyeWintrest
SkyeWintrest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 28th, 2013 @ 11:00 AM Reply

At 2/28/13 09:33 AM, Lachi wrote: I wonder why so many people say making electronic music (is easy) and still they're not famous

Advertising, luck, and possibly a bit of originality (at least, at first). No, I'm not kidding. (assuming you meant to add the "is easy" above)

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 28th, 2013 @ 11:30 AM Reply

At 2/28/13 11:00 AM, SkyeWintrest wrote:
At 2/28/13 09:33 AM, Lachi wrote: I wonder why so many people say making electronic music (is easy) and still they're not famous
Advertising, luck, and possibly a bit of originality (at least, at first). No, I'm not kidding. (assuming you meant to add the "is easy" above)

Yeah I ate some words.
I still don't see why someone would say "doing x is harder than y", when obviously it comes from experience, skills and other things.

I can touch my tonsils with my toungue, but for some people is hard (if not impossible), lol

peace out ^^

SUCK MY KICK

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 28th, 2013 @ 12:15 PM Reply

At 2/28/13 11:30 AM, Lachi wrote: I still don't see why someone would say "doing x is harder than y", when obviously it comes from experience, skills and other things.

That's what I was thinking. Apples 'n pears.

I can touch my tonsils with my toungue, but for some people is hard (if not impossible), lol

I can't...

I can move my ears though. Can you?

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 28th, 2013 @ 12:37 PM Reply

At 2/28/13 12:15 PM, SourJovis wrote: I can move my ears though. Can you?

rofl no, only if I move all the scalp (is that how you say it?)
Btw yes you got my point, thanks for claryifing =)

SUCK MY KICK

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Feb. 28th, 2013 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 2/28/13 12:37 PM, Lachi wrote: only if I move all the scalp (is that how you say it?)

Still counts

BBS Signature
BaronVonBroccoli
BaronVonBroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 06:49 PM Reply

It is an entirely different beast to go from step sequencers to an analog synth/drum machine.
your friend might have a point comparing someone producing via step sequencers to composing via instrument
but if he/she/it is saying that an EDM group using real analog synths/physical drum machines is less tallented than you need to kick him/her/it in the crotch....hard.

I have been crapping out mediocre EDM for more than a decade now and i cant express how jealous i am of performers who go up with analog synths/drum machines and do it all live.

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 07:38 PM Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q685-lTZjlc

because electronic music is so hard

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 07:48 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 07:38 PM, Zachary wrote:

See that part was what one might call a joke. Is yours too or did you just not read the rest of the post you responded too?

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 07:48 PM, Buoy wrote:
At 3/2/13 07:38 PM, Zachary wrote:

See that part was what one might call a joke. Is yours too or did you just not read the rest of the post you responded too?

I read it all, but I felt like you feel there might be some truth to it (Which I'll give you, there is depending on what kind of music you listen to. Most electronic music is just a steady bass after all).

Just shining some light friend :)

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:20 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 07:54 PM, Zachary wrote: I read it all, but I felt like you feel there might be some truth to it (Which I'll give you, there is depending on what kind of music you listen to. Most electronic music is just a steady bass after all).

Just shining some light friend :)

Okay sure, sorry about the sneer. I don't think bassist jokes really are a thing in electronic music though, since electronic acts rarely have bassists.

well unless you count the left hand of the keyboard player

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 08:20 PM, Buoy wrote: well unless you count the left hand of the keyboard player

When I said bass I just meant the bass lines in general in electronic music (guess I strayed a bit). Usually, they aren't complicated is what I was getting at.

I agree 100% with your original post by the way. Playing an actual instrument is completely different considering you have to factor in you can actual mess up and you have to keep in time with the rest of the music going on mentally.

Braiton
Braiton
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:51 PM Reply

Bass is delicious.

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:13 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 08:51 PM, Braiton wrote: Bass is delicious.

And important. <3

krssvr
krssvr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 10:35 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 09:13 PM, wandschrank wrote:
At 3/2/13 08:51 PM, Braiton wrote: Bass is delicious.
And important. <3

What's More important is that all your bass are belong to us.

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me
Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
retrobox2
retrobox2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 02:22 PM Reply

At 2/20/13 12:51 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 2/20/13 12:41 AM, Braiton wrote: Many of you claim that making EDM is a difficult process, but wouldn't you find it harder to play the saxophone, having never ever touched one, if you tried?
Let me clarify... Learning to play saxophone is easier than learning to produce a full song. A single instrument is just that... you only have to focus your attention on playing that instrument, and the rest of the orchestra will do what it needs to do to perform a song. Where as writing an entire song from scratch (EDM or otherwise), is a much greater undertaking, as you have to plan each and every instrument, keep them level, and in harmony (Usually).

This is what I meant... But as usual... I'm terrible at getting my point across.

(Except you Purgy, you're a slut.)
<3

I disagree with you. First of all the point of focusing only in your instrument is not a valid a one. I am an orchestra guy but I also listen to electronic music and both have their easy and difficult aspects, but you can't say that playing a difficult piece of music in saxophone is easier than making electronic music. Neither you can say that the saxophone is more difficult than making electronic music. In both situations you have a lot of things to worry about that are difficult to learn.

You have a point where you say that you have to worry about each instrument, harmony etc. but play an instrument isn't just play some melodies or read music. To be good at an instrument and just play the instrument are two different things. I can play violin, drums, guitars but that doesn't mean that I am an excellent interpreter. When you are good at an instrument normally is when you can improvise fluently, express feelings with your instrument, know most of the register, use efficiently most of the techniques and all of those things. So this can continue for years and it is impossible to say which on takes more effort.
Sorry for my english.