New Topic Respond to this Topic
OrgasmSquid
OrgasmSquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 19:50:55 Reply

I had a conversation with my friend who is a saxophone player. i told him that my favorite genre of music was techno. he told me that he doesn't like techno but this wasn't what bothered, what bothered me was that he said making a techno song doesn't take much effort. of course i disagreed with him. Sure you don't have to learn how to play any fancy instruments to make a techno song but there's the whole process of what will the song sound like. What do you think of what my friend said Newgrounds?

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 20:05:14 Reply

At 2/19/13 07:50 PM, OrgasmSquid wrote: I had a conversation with my friend who is a saxophone player. i told him that my favorite genre of music was techno. he told me that he doesn't like techno but this wasn't what bothered, what bothered me was that he said making a techno song doesn't take much effort. of course i disagreed with him. Sure you don't have to learn how to play any fancy instruments to make a techno song but there's the whole process of what will the song sound like. What do you think of what my friend said Newgrounds?

You don'tneed fancy instruments for a saxophone either, just a saxophpone. Just let him sit in front of a comuter with a DAW and tell him to make a techno song, he will fail terribly. His argument is invalid.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 20:17:13 Reply

you can easily make a techno song in 30 minutes. but 99% of the time it will suck, so you'll have to put hours of effort into it.

now when you mean techno, do you mean the whole of electronic?

because techno is just one sub genre.

lel

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 20:21:41 Reply

At 2/19/13 08:17 PM, Sequenced wrote: you can easily make a techno song in 30 minutes. but 99% of the time it will suck, so you'll have to put hours of effort into it.

oh no, genrewhoringdingsda inc!

i guess he means EDm overall though.

I can easily make a sax song within 30 minutes if you give me a sax. I can also play free jazz, I will just play random notes. Very artistic!

OrgasmSquid
OrgasmSquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 20:29:21 Reply

At 2/19/13 08:17 PM, Sequenced wrote: you can easily make a techno song in 30 minutes. but 99% of the time it will suck, so you'll have to put hours of effort into it.

when i said my favorite genre was techno i meant the sub genre but when he said techno sucked i'm pretty sure he meant the electronic as a whole

SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Artist
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 20:37:22 Reply

At 2/19/13 08:05 PM, wandschrank wrote:
You don'tneed fancy instruments for a saxophone either, just a saxophpone. Just let him sit in front of a comuter with a DAW and tell him to make a techno song, he will fail terribly. His argument is invalid.

I agree with this. To add, while he may end up with something to show for the time spent working with said DAW, you could just as easily have something of similar quality to show with the sax after having spent about the same amount of time with it.

(._.) ( l: ) (.-.) ( :l ) (._.)

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 20:40:10 Reply

I can sit down and shit out a piano song and it takes almost no effort at all. It probably won't be very good, either. If your friend thinks making good techno doesn't require a lot of effort, I would highly suggest finding someone willing to stream them working on a techno song, or just show him what trancecrafter does. Making good techno is insanely difficult and absurdly time-consuming.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 21:43:27 Reply

At 2/19/13 08:40 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: highly suggest finding someone willing to stream them working on a techno song, or just show him what trancecrafter does. Making good techno is insanely difficult and absurdly time-consuming.

Stop it TC doesnt even make good trance

lel

Xyresic
Xyresic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 22:40:37 Reply

You can make any genre of song in 10 minutes. It'll sound like hairy ass, but it's a song. Quality is what you're aiming for by taking time and effort to tweak and perfect every aspect of your track so it sounds as good as you can possibly make it.

bork bork bork

StaticBlu
StaticBlu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 23:15:13 Reply

It still takes effort to make something unique and engaging. Any of us could go on our instruments and crap out a song 10 minute tops, but it will must definitely suck. The effort needs to be there, or else the lack there of will show in the music.

Now I play the saxophone myself and I do not agree with this statement that your friend made at all. Yes there are styles of music that aren't involved as a full orchestra, but you still need to give the time and effort to develop your work no matter what.

Good art needs time, no matter how simplistic.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-19 23:20:36 Reply

Playing a saxophone is easier than putting out a well polished EDM song...

How do I know? Because I used to play sax, and now I write EDM (Among many other things... but those other things aren't relevant to this discussion).

Tell your friend he's full of shit. Or do like suggested above and put him in front of a PC and just say, "K... Write me a techno song."
Will put him in his place right quick.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 00:41:15 Reply

At 2/19/13 11:20 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Tell your friend he's full of shit. Or do like suggested above and put him in front of a PC and just say, "K... Write me a techno song."

So...grab a guy who only writes EDM and has no idea how to play any instrument at all and just say, "K... now play the Saxophone like the gods."

What I'm trying to get at is that everyone has different strengths and qualities. This guy probably said what he said because he has a misconception. Probably never fiddled with a DAW and/or computers to make music. But if he tried he would probably find it harder than playing the saxophone. That is until he gets the hang out of it. It then becomes natural, how it's written, recorded, techniques used, etc. That is also why many people find it difficult to write other genres that are completely opposite of what they usually write. It also works the other way round. Many of you claim that making EDM is a difficult process, but wouldn't you find it harder to play the saxophone, having never ever touched one, if you tried? (Except you Purgy, you're a slut.)

Paranoidhumanoise
Paranoidhumanoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 00:48:35 Reply

Yeah, ive heard similar arguments. It's true it doesn't take much effort to come up with a 4/4 beat and catchy bassline and call it Techno. But too make a "real" techno song it takes some effort and creativity to really make something that stands out. There is no set boundaries to what Techno is, it can be anything, the options are generally limitless. Which applies to any genre of music, though i think Techno is the most subjective way of expression.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 00:51:04 Reply

At 2/20/13 12:41 AM, Braiton wrote: Many of you claim that making EDM is a difficult process, but wouldn't you find it harder to play the saxophone, having never ever touched one, if you tried?

Let me clarify... Learning to play saxophone is easier than learning to produce a full song. A single instrument is just that... you only have to focus your attention on playing that instrument, and the rest of the orchestra will do what it needs to do to perform a song. Where as writing an entire song from scratch (EDM or otherwise), is a much greater undertaking, as you have to plan each and every instrument, keep them level, and in harmony (Usually).

This is what I meant... But as usual... I'm terrible at getting my point across.

(Except you Purgy, you're a slut.)

<3

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 01:06:54 Reply

learning & practising one instrument is easier than learning how to make electronic music and doing it well.

lel

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 01:27:06 Reply

We're all gonna love what we love and hate what we hate. We're gonna pick at the best parts in what we like and pick at the faults in what we dislike. It's an even selfishness, not so much a mutual understanding. We seem to never really get along.

...music is stupid!

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 01:53:58 Reply

At 2/20/13 01:06 AM, Sequenced wrote: learning & practising one instrument is easier than learning how to make electronic music and doing it well.

stop shit stirring billy

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 01:57:19 Reply

At 2/20/13 01:06 AM, Sequenced wrote: learning & practising one instrument is easier than learning how to make electronic music and doing it well.

I disagree.
It is about the same difficulty to become fluent in one instrument, and to become fluent in creating electronic music.

Love, someone who's done both, if not a lot more.

BBS Signature
Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 02:14:29 Reply

Shut up and make music.
...and f$*# you, that's why.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 11:01:39 Reply

The quality of the music is usually a reflection of how much effort went into it.

Any genre/instrument is only as hard/easy as you wanna make it.

I play guitar, there are easy songs, and there are songs I'll never have the patience to learn because of their difficulty.

Also TC is a godly perfectionist.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 13:20:06 Reply

I generally ignore people who are that ignorant. That's about it.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 14:07:34 Reply

At 2/20/13 11:01 AM, stratkat wrote: The quality of the music is usually a reflection of how much effort went into it.

If you call yourself 'trancecrafter' you should at least be a good trance song

All i hear from him are long ass build ups and then 32 beats dancable climaxes. It makes no sense.

lel

stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 15:37:05 Reply

At 2/20/13 02:07 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 2/20/13 11:01 AM, stratkat wrote: The quality of the music is usually a reflection of how much effort went into it.

If you call yourself 'trancecrafter' you should at least be a good trance song

All i hear from him are long ass build ups and then 32 beats dancable climaxes. It makes no sense.

He's still a perfectionist, the amount of time and effort he puts into his songs are insane. I could never have that sort of patience with anything. He also makes awesome tutorials, and all (I think, at least most ) of his synth patches from scratch.

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 15:39:32 Reply

At 2/20/13 02:07 PM, Sequenced wrote: All i hear from him are long ass build ups and then 32 beats dancable climaxes. It makes no sense.

we cant argue about music dear seq, taste is personal, period.

also, calling techno this type music... well i'm not the perfectionist guy but techno is a really different thing. also, trance music is too generic, and whatever see ya all

SUCK MY KICK

Mushraven
Mushraven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 17:13:41 Reply

Your friend is clearly ignorant or perhaps arrogant. Either way, he is wrong.

BBS Signature
eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 19:00:43 Reply

Your friend is right. He doesn't like techno. Let him suck the saxophone

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 19:11:52 Reply

At 2/20/13 03:39 PM, Lachi wrote:
At 2/20/13 02:07 PM, Sequenced wrote: All i hear from him are long ass build ups and then 32 beats dancable climaxes. It makes no sense.
we cant argue about music dear seq, taste is personal, period.

this isn't about taste.

I'm being critical here.

there is a difference.

lel

krssvr
krssvr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 19:33:37 Reply

At 2/20/13 07:11 PM, Sequenced wrote: this isn't about taste.

I'm being critical here.

"If you call yourself 'trancecrafter' you should at least be a good trance song"

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me
Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
CzeryWassierSwizier
CzeryWassierSwizier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 21:30:47 Reply

At 2/20/13 01:20 PM, Envy wrote: I generally ignore people who are that ignorant. That's about it.

You could do that, but it won't reduce the number of ignorant people in the world.

I'm a nub.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to my friend's thoughts on Techno 2013-02-20 21:53:08 Reply

At 2/20/13 07:33 PM, krssvr wrote:
At 2/20/13 07:11 PM, Sequenced wrote: this isn't about taste.

I'm being critical here.
"If you call yourself 'trancecrafter' you should at least be a good trance song"

I meant make. I was on a tablet.

lel