New Topic Respond to this Topic
phorden
phorden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
learning 4 Javascript & jQuery Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 02:50 PM Reply

I am looking for a good source to learn javascript and jQuery. I am open to suggestions whether it is a website, video or book. Thanks.

Shogun Geek tabletop gaming news & discussion.

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to learning 4 Javascript & jQuery Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:07 PM Reply

Learning from a book for both would be best. I can't think of any offhand, but most books you find will probably be a solid resource; the more recent the better.
Just make sure you learn JavaScript before jQuery; don't try to learn both at the same time. JavaScript is a very goofy language, so it's best to learn its idiosyncrasies before writing it (even if you're going to be writing in a very easy framework like jQuery).

phorden
phorden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to learning 4 Javascript & jQuery Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:12 PM Reply

Thanks for the advice.

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to learning 4 Javascript & jQuery Feb. 19th, 2013 @ 05:38 AM Reply

For JavaScript, I think JavaScript: The Good Parts is a good read.

I also recommend using JsFiddle for when you are learning and experimenting. It makes it very easy to try things out.

Also, in your browser, you'll want to use "developer tools". If you are using Google Chrome, this is a press of the F12 key away. You'll spend most of your time here in the "Console tab". You can try one-liners of code in there to get direct output. If you are working from a script, you can send output there as well using the following:

console.log('output goes here');

If you are using Firefox, you'll want to install Firebug for the same functionality.

If you are using Internet Explorer, you'll probably want to change browsers.

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to learning 4 Javascript & jQuery Feb. 19th, 2013 @ 06:34 AM Reply

At 2/19/13 05:38 AM, Mich wrote: For JavaScript, I think JavaScript: The Good Parts is a good read.

That reminds me Douglas Crockford also did a lecture on the subject. It's a good talk; I recommend it.

At 2/19/13 05:38 AM, Mich wrote: I also recommend using JsFiddle for when you are learning and experimenting. It makes it very easy to try things out.

Agreed, jsfiddle is great.
There's also JS Bin which basically does the same thing, but in a different way; I find JS Bin is a bit better for more complicated tests though.

phorden
phorden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to learning 4 Javascript & jQuery Feb. 19th, 2013 @ 09:38 AM Reply

Mitch:

Thanks for the advice. I use Firefox, I can't stand IE as a web developer. I barely like getting stuff to work in it, let alone use it. I will check out the sources.

BBS Signature