Be a Supporter!

Girls (TV Show)

  • 1,791 Views
  • 59 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-18 19:34:01 Reply

At 2/18/13 06:54 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: I like the show a lot, but I don't have HBO at school so I don't really keep up with it consistently. As a New Yorker with a sister around the same age as the people on the show, I can say that the way the main characters talk to (and about) each other is almost scarily realistic.

Yeah, I'm in school too and I want to to find a site that I can stream the series because I'm pretty sure I'll be caught up by next week's episode.

At 2/18/13 01:15 PM, rsetienne wrote: Hannah gets naked way too often, and her body is not very pleasing to the eye. She is like the chick you would have sex with when you are drunk.
Right, because the only purpose depicting a woman's body on TV can possibly serve is to titillate men...

Nail on the fucking head.


Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
mechadude32
mechadude32
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-18 19:40:05 Reply

1100 dollars per month for two years? that's like 13,400 per month (about) and 26.800 dollars at the end


"if you put quotes here you're an idiot" mechadude32 These are the jokes, people... (INSERT IMAGE HERE)

Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-18 19:57:43 Reply

I haven't watched any episodes (yet), but I read a huge ass article in the paper a few weeks ago that really hyped the show. The big thing about it seemed to be that "these girls are in their twenties", but for the rest it seemed to be like practically any other chick flick-ish show. It didn't sound interesting to me at all, but perhaps it is kinda witty.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod] Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-19 02:03:41 Reply

At 2/18/13 07:57 PM, Auz wrote: I haven't watched any episodes (yet), but I read a huge ass article in the paper a few weeks ago that really hyped the show. The big thing about it seemed to be that "these girls are in their twenties", but for the rest it seemed to be like practically any other chick flick-ish show. It didn't sound interesting to me at all, but perhaps it is kinda witty.

In my opinion, you don't know until you experience it first hand, you know. People you know might not like it, but you might enjoy the fuck out or it. Just check it. It's kinda chick flick-ish, but with some redeeming quailities.


Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Animator
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-19 02:09:09 Reply

At 2/18/13 06:13 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: My only beef with the show, so far, is that the show isn't brighter. It's like they turned down the contrast on the show by a lot, which I get but it's makes me so fjkasdfjasdf.

Maybe if they called the show

Boobs.


WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-19 10:44:44 Reply

At 2/19/13 02:09 AM, DarkMatter wrote:
At 2/18/13 06:13 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: My only beef with the show, so far, is that the show isn't brighter. It's like they turned down the contrast on the show by a lot, which I get but it's makes me so fjkasdfjasdf.
Maybe if they called the show

Boobs.

Cleverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.


Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-20 17:38:04 Reply

Proud to say I'm completely caught up on the series now.

woo.


Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-23 20:32:43 Reply

SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION.

I made a parody of the show. sdfasdsdfgsdf.

  • BOYS
    BOYS by TehSlapHappy

    A short animated parody of the HBO show 'GIRLS'.

    Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    16 Views
    Rated
    Everyone


Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Animator
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-23 20:36:19 Reply

At 2/23/13 08:32 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION.

I made a parody of the show. sdfasdsdfgsdf.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/611898

10/10 Would watch about 2 more times.


Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
Piggler
Piggler
  • Member since: May. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Artist
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-23 21:00:00 Reply

At 2/23/13 08:32 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION.

I saw the flash in the portal before I saw this thread.

Gave it a 5 because fapping.


BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-23 21:25:50 Reply

Oh it memorized you did it?

Eh?

ehhh?

huh?

eh?

EJR
EJR
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Animator
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-23 22:12:07 Reply

Alright so I just finished episode 1 not too long ago, and so far I give it a 6/10. I like that the episodes are only a half hour long because it moved so slowly that I wouldn't be interested enough to watch it for a whole hour. The characters are all mildly interesting so far but they developed well enough to peak my interest, and some of the female characters are attractive.
Will continue soon.


Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-02-23 22:23:45 Reply

At 2/23/13 10:12 PM, EJR wrote: Alright so I just finished episode 1 not too long ago, and so far I give it a 6/10. I like that the episodes are only a half hour long because it moved so slowly that I wouldn't be interested enough to watch it for a whole hour. The characters are all mildly interesting so far but they developed well enough to peak my interest, and some of the female characters are attractive.
Will continue soon.

Thank you for this kind review EJR. It gets progressively better as the season goes on.


Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Animator
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-01 19:54:31 Reply

I finished episodes 2 and 3 just now. This show has some decent pacing and the drama still isn't absurd enough to make me cringe. Hannah is really annoying.

p.s. Marnie is fine.


Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-02 10:55:35 Reply

At 3/1/13 07:54 PM, EJR wrote: I finished episodes 2 and 3 just now. This show has some decent pacing and the drama still isn't absurd enough to make me cringe. Hannah is really annoying.

p.s. Marnie is fine.

I like Marnie, she's just soooo UGHGHUG. You'll understand later.

Glad you didn't run away from it.


Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
Ejit
Ejit
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-02 11:25:36 Reply

I actually just watched the episode where the implausibly good looking doctor-man falls head over heels in love with her and keeps telling her how beautiful she is and I think she's supposed to be charming. Also she plays ping pong naked and then has a shower, naked. And then it gets DEEP where she says she was lonely "on a really DEEP level" before she met him. On a really deep level.

And so I realised, I think I don't actually like this show very much. She reminded me of the mosquito from Breaking Bad, in that episode.

I too dislike the colouring; and I don't mean the much-commented-on lack of racial diversity (minus what was essentially a Donald Glover cameo).


I'm a survivor. We're a dying breed. Ashamed of myself.

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-02 18:19:16 Reply

At 3/2/13 11:25 AM, Ejit wrote: I actually just watched the episode where the implausibly good looking doctor-man falls head over heels in love with her and keeps telling her how beautiful she is and I think she's supposed to be charming. Also she plays ping pong naked and then has a shower, naked. And then it gets DEEP where she says she was lonely "on a really DEEP level" before she met him. On a really deep level.

It was a 'p. deep' episode. That one wasn't particularly my favorite episode either. It was just so meh.

And so I realized, I think I don't actually like this show very much. She reminded me of the mosquito from Breaking Bad, in that episode.

It's not for everyone. It's a like it or you don't show. I feel like it is anyways.

I too dislike the colouring; and I don't mean the much-commented-on lack of racial diversity (minus what was essentially a Donald Glover cameo).

I really wish they utilized DG a lot more. He was such nice character. I wish they would up the contrast on the show in at least one episode.


Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
o0-0o
o0-0o
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-06 11:48:32 Reply

S2E8 was really good, already can't wait for the next one. I like the episodes where the guys are involved, they are better characters imo.

BCRice
BCRice
  • Member since: Dec. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Writer
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-06 11:51:34 Reply

At 2/18/13 12:08 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: So I've been watching this show recently and I'm like memorized by it. I don't know why. I keep watching it and watching it. It's pretty interesting. Has anyone heard of this show and have seen it?

Easily one of the best shows on television.


Outstanding Pajamas

BBS Signature
Ejit
Ejit
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-06 12:38:23 Reply

At 3/2/13 06:19 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: It's not for everyone. It's a like it or you don't show. I feel like it is anyways.

I half like it, half don't tho

I really wish they utilized DG a lot more. He was such nice character. I wish they would up the contrast on the show in at least one episode.

I don't know, I thought his character was pretty boring. His main character trait seemed to be that he was a republican and for some reason everyone knew + cared.

At 3/6/13 11:48 AM, o0-0o wrote: S2E8 was really good, already can't wait for the next one. I like the episodes where the guys are involved, they are better characters imo.

Agreed there. Ray and the other fellow are great.

The trouble for me is the Hannah woman is so unlikeable, but has to be the flipping centre of everything (because she's played by the writer?). First it was all about her relationship, then her "deep loneliness", then her book deal (it turns out she's REALLY talented!), now she has flipping OCD. Also I'm pretty sure there were a few episodes about her naked torso. It's like the writer is desperately craving attention for her own stupid (semi-autobiographical?) character. With no redeeming features, either. She's self-absorbed nastiness, displaying contempt for her friends, parents and damaged ex-boyfriend.

And the writer's blind to it 'cos it's HER. The show would be like 556% better if the character was played by someone else.


I'm a survivor. We're a dying breed. Ashamed of myself.

BBS Signature
amplefied
amplefied
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-06 13:59:50 Reply

I have conflicting feelings about the show, the first three episodes had a really weak narrative

Mismo
Mismo
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-06 14:51:30 Reply

I saw little of yesterday actually and it seemed like interesting show. Guess it is more appealing to a more mature audience though.


#AMAFORSEXSLAVE2014

BBS Signature
Baby-Bottle-Bob
Baby-Bottle-Bob
  • Member since: Feb. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-06 15:11:05 Reply

Sounds to me like a piece of shit show. I'll give in a couple weeks before network administrators rip that retarded shit off the air.


9

BBS Signature
o0-0o
o0-0o
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-06 17:07:09 Reply

At 3/6/13 03:11 PM, Baby-Bottle-Bob wrote: Sounds to me like a piece of shit show. I'll give in a couple weeks before network administrators rip that retarded shit off the air.

Won 2 Golden Globes, HBO has kept on shows that achieved much less.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Member since: Apr. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-06 17:36:21 Reply

At 3/6/13 12:38 PM, Ejit wrote: The trouble for me is the Hannah woman is so unlikeable, but has to be the flipping centre of everything (because she's played by the writer?)
It's like the writer is desperately craving attention for her own stupid (semi-autobiographical?) character. With no redeeming features, either. She's self-absorbed nastiness, displaying contempt for her friends, parents and damaged ex-boyfriend.
And the writer's blind to it 'cos it's HER. The show would be like 556% better if the character was played by someone else.

Funny how people love to criticize Girls for this, but never do the same for Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm or Louie. Hmmm....


NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Ejit
Ejit
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-06 18:50:07 Reply

At 3/6/13 05:36 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: Funny how people love to criticize Girls for this, but never do the same for Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm or Louie. Hmmm....

No it isn't, because they're about one character. So you don't groan every time a scene involves one of them. Because they all do. And they're likeable. Louie moreso, but Larry is at least charismatic - and doesn't beg for sympathy. Larry's a bit like Ray.

I don't know why any criticism of the show Girls has to be strenuously interpreted as some instinctive anti-feminist reaction. I fucking love 30 Rock, for what it's worth!


I'm a survivor. We're a dying breed. Ashamed of myself.

BBS Signature
sparrow
sparrow
  • Member since: Oct. 27, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Girls (TV Show) 2013-03-06 19:05:53 Reply

It was recommended to me and I watched most of Season 1. Some of it was great but I just couldn't quite get into it.


Sup?

BBS Signature