New Topic Respond to this Topic
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 15:59:56 Reply

At 2/19/13 03:58 PM, JBK wrote: A woman dont need to drive. Daddy drives until a woman is old enough to find her own man to drive her around.

What if I like women and not barbie dolls that don't have their own life.

Silverdust
Silverdust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 16:25:06 Reply

At 2/19/13 03:56 PM, Entice wrote:
At 2/19/13 02:54 PM, Silverdust wrote: In my opinion, the driving age is too young and I certainly wouldn't want my daughter alone with hormonally stressed out teenagers for long enough for something irresponsible to take place.
Would it be acceptable if it was a son instead of a daughter?

For driving, yes I would still wait until I felt he was mature enough to drive. From what I saw in high school, teenage boys were no better drivers than the girls. However, I would allow my son to go more places alone because I would feel that I raised him well enough to respect the opposite sex. And, I wouldn't have to worry as much about a girl pressuring him into doing something.

Because we are more vulnerable than males in general, my daughter would need more protection than my son would because society will constantly tell her that men are entitled to her body. I would still teach her about how she should value herself, but her self-esteem won't protect her from ending up in bad situations without help. The thought wouldn't even cross my mind that my son could be overpowered physically or mentally by a female.

RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9
"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 16:28:18 Reply

At 2/19/13 04:25 PM, Silverdust wrote: The thought wouldn't even cross my mind that my son could be overpowered physically or mentally by a female.

It depends on the person I guess. I understand wanting your daughter to safe but it still strikes me as sexist.

JBK
JBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 16:31:48 Reply

And, I wouldn't have to worry as much about a girl pressuring him into doing something.

I don't know about your personal experiences but plenty of the girls at my schools were major sluts.

Because we are more vulnerable than males in general, my daughter would need more protection than my son would because society will constantly tell her that men are entitled to her body.
Boys are pressured as well to be sexually active. Probably more than girls because it isn't shamed the way it is for girls.

I would still teach her about how she should value herself, but her self-esteem won't protect her from ending up in bad situations without help. The thought wouldn't even cross my mind that my son could be overpowered physically or mentally by a female.
If I were that worried I would get her something to defend herself with and Id teach her how to go for the balls. Put her in a class. Something. Theres no reason for a girl not to have the ability to defend herself.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
JBK
JBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 16:34:04 Reply

What the hell happened?

And, I wouldn't have to worry as much about a girl pressuring him into doing something.

I don't know about your personal experiences but plenty of the girls at my schools were major sluts.

Because we are more vulnerable than males in general, my daughter would need more protection than my son would because society will constantly tell her that men are entitled to her body.

Boys are pressured as well to be sexually active. Probably more than girls because it isn't shamed the way it is for girls.

I would still teach her about how she should value herself, but her self-esteem won't protect her from ending up in bad situations without help. The thought wouldn't even cross my mind that my son could be overpowered physically or mentally by a female.

If I were that worried I would get her something to defend herself with and Id teach her how to go for the balls. Put her in a class. Something. Theres no reason for a girl not to have the ability to defend herself.

Fixed.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
Piemix
Piemix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 16:42:28 Reply

At 2/17/13 07:07 PM, Entice wrote:
At 2/17/13 07:06 PM, shitposter wrote:
At 2/17/13 07:04 PM, Entice wrote: Most of the girls I knew in high school went to college not knowing how to drive.
no wonder they're such bad drivers ahahaha sexism
It probably has more to do with bad reflexes and poor spatial reasoning.

I wouldn't disagree, women are much less talented in sports than men. What does that tell you?

Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 16:48:48 Reply

At 2/19/13 02:48 PM, Provoke wrote:
I biked constantly ever seen I was 8, and I never really wanted to drive anyway. I'll probably learn how in the near future, but for now I'm just going to bike everywhere.

Nah lol you're perpetuating the stereotype. There is no excuse not to get a driving permit or license when you're of driving age, even if you don't have a car.

Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 17:49:59 Reply

i am a shelter over girls

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Baby-Bottle-Bob
Baby-Bottle-Bob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 19:15:44 Reply

I dealt wit shelter tho, i get them out they hous an fuck them right up in they ass

BBS Signature
Silverdust
Silverdust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 19:25:07 Reply

At 2/19/13 04:28 PM, Entice wrote:
At 2/19/13 04:25 PM, Silverdust wrote: The thought wouldn't even cross my mind that my son could be overpowered physically or mentally by a female.
It depends on the person I guess. I understand wanting your daughter to safe but it still strikes me as sexist.

Sexism would be discrimination. I am not discriminating against my daughter by not allowing her to be alone with boys often because she will statistically face more problems physically and emotionally. The probability of her being abused will be 90% higher than my son, not counting the attempted abuses. Additionally, her classmates, television, and the internet will be greatly pressuring her to be vain and promiscuous until her graduation - near the peak at which she will be most exposed to this in college. Not only do I want to shelter her from this, but I want to keep her from being influenced by people who give her advice contrary to what I will teach her. After she is out of my house, she will hopefully have the tools she needs to protect herself adequately until marriage when her husband will take on this responsibility.

The probability of my son being sexually abused at the same age is 1/10, and this percentage consists mostly of the perpetrators being relatives and other adults whom he would trust. These situations would be tremendously easier to monitor if my spouse and I are responsible parents. But, rather than teaching him primarily about respecting himself and his body, I will be teaching him about respecting women and their bodies. I would not want him alone with a someone else for very long either, but I will be significantly more concerned about my daughter in similar situations.

If addressing the needs of my children based on their gender is sexist, then guilty as charged.

RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9
"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature
BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 19:26:00 Reply

At 2/17/13 07:27 PM, saqwert wrote: That's probably just your upper middle class white suburban town
Most girls I knew in high school lost their virginity when they were 12 and were drunk driving by 15

this
cm 2 da hood son

I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
fuzzum111
fuzzum111
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Girls Over-sheltered? 2013-02-19 19:29:53 Reply

It's a trend I've noticed even while I was in highschool. It sucks but it's ust sort of a dumb never ending cycle. The girls learn it from their parents and it continues on down.

Sucks but it's very hard to break the cycle, and girls that are given more freedom, often the parents are looked down upon for not protecting their little girls, and blah blah. It's a dumb thing we do but not much else to say.

My Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzum1 11
If you get a ban, it was totally worth it. 10/10, I love you. -Skaren

BBS Signature