Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 16:38:33 Reply

E.T one of the worst games of all time causing that video game crash back in the 80's.

Now this was decades okay shouldn't something have surpassed that by now Like oh....Sonic 06?

Thoughts or any other games that should be classified as worse then E.T in this day and age?

I have a penis

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 16:44:13 Reply

I've played flash games that are worse, and perhaps a few early arcade games. I can't remember specific names.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 16:54:40 Reply

At 2/17/13 04:38 PM, Wegra wrote: E.T one of the worst games of all time causing that video game crash back in the 80's.

Now this was decades okay shouldn't something have surpassed that by now Like oh....Sonic 06?

Thoughts or any other games that should be classified as worse then E.T in this day and age?

The attitude towards video games that companies took then and now are drastically different. Back then video games were just another toy to pump out and make money off whatever is popular at the time. It was so bad it failed to actually make a profit on what was the most popular system at the time from one of the biggest movies ever. It was a major factor in Atari's bankruptcy.

The attitude about video games is now quite different. They are their own industry and most major publishers and developers try to keep their reputation as clean as possible.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 17:14:16 Reply

Sonic 06, Alone in the Dark (360), Rainbow Six (PS1), Faceball 2000 (SNES), Final Fantasy XIII.

As bad as ET is, it's functional and it's over in 15 minutes. It doesn't waste your fucking time.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 17:16:41 Reply

King Kong for the DS? It has the most shitty graphics I have ever seen, therefore making it un-playable.

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 17:43:02 Reply

At 2/17/13 05:14 PM, Jackho wrote: Sonic 06, Alone in the Dark (360), Rainbow Six (PS1), Faceball 2000 (SNES), Final Fantasy XIII.

As bad as ET is, it's functional and it's over in 15 minutes. It doesn't waste your fucking time.

No it isn't functional at all. And the game required an instruction manual to understand ANYTHING (nothing in game)

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 18:09:19 Reply

Big Rigs Racing for the PC, probably the only game that I know of that had no redeemable qualities whatsoever, and the only reason why anyone would play this game is for humorous pursuits of it's horrible design and numerous bugs.

At least with all the other horrible games, they had at least 1 thing that they did halfway decent on, but in Big Rigs, there is none that I could even think of, which is why it has earned it's reputation as a horrible game.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 18:21:20 Reply

At 2/17/13 05:43 PM, Ceratisa wrote: And the game required an instruction manual to understand ANYTHING (nothing in game)

A lot of older games were like that.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 18:31:37 Reply

At 2/17/13 06:21 PM, Entice wrote:
At 2/17/13 05:43 PM, Ceratisa wrote: And the game required an instruction manual to understand ANYTHING (nothing in game)
A lot of older games were like that.

No alot of older games had references in them, I'm sorry you'd want to pay full price for a video game that was terrible and could be beaten in less then 10 minutes though.

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 18:36:49 Reply

At 2/17/13 06:31 PM, Ceratisa wrote: No alot of older games had references in them,

Huh? I just meant that a lot of older games (PC games in particular) were difficult to understand without a manual. A lot of times that's the only the place the story appeared.

Wasteland (for DOS) is unplayable without the manual because it explains the controls. In that case it was used as an anti-piracy measure.

I'm sorry you'd want to pay full price for a video game that was terrible and could be beaten in less then 10 minutes though.

I never said that. Do you just like being hostile?

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 18:50:59 Reply

At 2/17/13 06:36 PM, Entice wrote:
At 2/17/13 06:31 PM, Ceratisa wrote: No alot of older games had references in them,
Huh? I just meant that a lot of older games (PC games in particular) were difficult to understand without a manual. A lot of times that's the only the place the story appeared.

Wasteland (for DOS) is unplayable without the manual because it explains the controls. In that case it was used as an anti-piracy measure.

I'm sorry you'd want to pay full price for a video game that was terrible and could be beaten in less then 10 minutes though.
I never said that. Do you just like being hostile?

I've played Wasteland DOS and no it isn't unplayable without a manual (you can bring up a binding thing in game if i recall)
But that isn't the same as ET it wasn't an anti piracy thing with them (Which was admittedly common at the time)

And my comment was based on the OP, surpassing E.T. in bad. Given the choice would you rather play E.T. over another game, a real video game, not some flash game or something?The standards were just different then.

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 18:57:04 Reply

At 2/17/13 06:50 PM, Ceratisa wrote: I've played Wasteland DOS and no it isn't unplayable without a manual (you can bring up a binding thing in game if i recall)

IIRC you had to type in words for conversation and it was difficult to guess what the correct words were. The game is playable without but an important part of the game is missing.

And my comment was based on the OP, surpassing E.T. in bad. Given the choice would you rather play E.T. over another game, a real video game, not some flash game or something?The standards were just different then.

I never said that I wanted to play E.T. I said that the flaw you pointed out was present in a few other games as well and it didn't mean anything more than that.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-17 19:16:18 Reply

At 2/17/13 06:57 PM, Entice wrote:
At 2/17/13 06:50 PM, Ceratisa wrote: I've played Wasteland DOS and no it isn't unplayable without a manual (you can bring up a binding thing in game if i recall)
IIRC you had to type in words for conversation and it was difficult to guess what the correct words were. The game is playable without but an important part of the game is missing.

I never had an issue with it. Commonly when involving massive amounts of text the manuals contained descriptive paragraphs. That can't be said about E.T. though.

I never said that I wanted to play E.T. I said that the flaw you pointed out was present in a few other games as well and it didn't mean anything more than that.

It dumps you into the middle of no where and you basically don't even know what you are doing. What anything is, and unless you've played before you may just run out of energy falling into wells before you know what wells are.
http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-et-manual.h tml
This thing actually had symbol explanations in the manual because it was so unclear.

SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-18 01:34:56 Reply

At 2/17/13 05:43 PM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 2/17/13 05:14 PM, Jackho wrote: Sonic 06, Alone in the Dark (360), Rainbow Six (PS1), Faceball 2000 (SNES), Final Fantasy XIII.

No it isn't functional at all. And the game required an instruction manual to understand ANYTHING (nothing in game)

It might be bland and somewhat tedious, but it's really not all that glitchy. And as far as reading the manual... Aren't you supposed to do that for ANY game? Sure, they might not have been used to that in the 2600 days, when one button and a directional control were all that the standard setup had, but ET really shows all you can get out of that setup with its more complicated control scheme. It has sections with top-down view and side view, it makes its one-button context-sensitive (search for phone pieces, hide in some spots, and yes, the oft-maligned pit escapes) instead of just having it be the "shoot" button like in so many of its contemporaries. One might even say that ET was years ahead of its time, since many of these aspects have since appeared in better-received games (in particular The Legend of Zelda franchise, which mixed top-down and side-scrolling gameplay in Zelda II and later the Game Boy installments, and which has had a context-sensitive main action button since Ocarina of Time), and that if it had been given two or three times the time and budget that it had it would have been looked at as one of the best games of its era. Perhaps the vision behind it was too far ahead of its time, even; if people weren't used to reading manuals yet, the game's programmer, Howard Scott Warshaw, would have needed to playtest ET at least to hear that people thought its controls weren't intuitive enough and needed to be explained in-game or at least on the title screen, among other complaints that would have come up about its monotonous gameplay. He didn't have time, so a substandard game was made, people didn't like it, Atari gambled on the ET license and lost it all. But there are in fact things about ET that can be defended.

Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-18 02:26:11 Reply

Superman 64

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-18 04:15:19 Reply

At 2/17/13 04:38 PM, Wegra wrote: E.T one of the worst games of all time causing that video game crash back in the 80's.

Looks like I've been fortunate to miss out on such games. :/

killer32
killer32
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-18 05:57:57 Reply

I swear to god if some gives me a choice: Play E.T. or play Far Cry 3, I'd play E.T.

In case you are an idiot, this is only my opinion.

"It makes me feel powerful when I say something so dumb that it halts discussion." - Jester

ManDeep
ManDeep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-18 09:45:20 Reply

Jezus christ Wegra, it's than.
THAN.
FIRST WE GO TO THE PARK AND THEN* WE SEE WHAT'S WORSE THAN* E.T.
Also yea, Sonic 06 is a good pick.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-18 11:20:43 Reply

At 2/18/13 05:57 AM, killer32 wrote: I swear to god if some gives me a choice: Play E.T. or play Far Cry 3, I'd play E.T.

You'd pay full price for E.T. and play it over Far Cry 3? If you could only ever play them (And continued to play video games as often as you do) You would choose E.T. ?

killer32
killer32
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-18 16:05:09 Reply

At 2/18/13 11:20 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 2/18/13 05:57 AM, killer32 wrote: I swear to god if some gives me a choice: Play E.T. or play Far Cry 3, I'd play E.T.

You'd pay full price for E.T. and play it over Far Cry 3? If you could only ever play them (And continued to play video games as often as you do) You would choose E.T. ?

Yes, I would still play E.T. This is just my subjective opinion, but I really dislike far cry 3.

"It makes me feel powerful when I say something so dumb that it halts discussion." - Jester

OrgasmSquid
OrgasmSquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Games worse then E.T 2013-02-18 19:40:54 Reply

alvin and the chipmunks for wii, its a FUCKING MASTERPIECE!

Games worse then E.T