Be a Supporter!

New genres on the audio portal!

  • 1,366 Views
  • 56 Replies
New Topic
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 37
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 07:14 PM

At 2/17/13 07:08 PM, SBB wrote: NO! NO MORE FUCKING GENRES. NEVER.

Agrees with this post...

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 07:14 PM

Does it matter? All everyone makes is EDM stuff anyway.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 37
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 07:16 PM

At 2/17/13 07:14 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Does it matter? All everyone makes is EDM stuff anyway.

I dont' make EDM...

Braiton
Braiton
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 07:20 PM

At 2/17/13 07:16 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 2/17/13 07:14 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Does it matter? All everyone makes is EDM stuff anyway.
I dont' make EDM...

I want my Post Apocalyptic Mutant Pirate Horse Deathcore Metal genre too.

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 07:32 PM

At 2/17/13 07:20 PM, Braiton wrote:
At 2/17/13 07:16 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 2/17/13 07:14 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Does it matter? All everyone makes is EDM stuff anyway.
I dont' make EDM...
I want my Post Apocalyptic Mutant Pirate Horse Deathcore Metal genre too.

Too mainstream.

DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Member since: May. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:39 PM

At 2/17/13 07:08 PM, Buoy wrote: NO! NO MORE FUCKING GENRES. NEVER.

This is a discussion, not an argument. Please sir, calm yourself.

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Member since: May. 15, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 10:56 PM

At 2/17/13 07:14 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Does it matter? All everyone makes is EDM stuff anyway.

What about Scottish Bagpipe Rock-Samba fusion?

Anyways, I have used AudioJungle before for uploading some tracks and their genre options is one of the best out there (besides some of the other sites where you can specify your own.)

http://audiojungle.net/category/music

Check the music tab or the side bar. Each main style/genre has many other sub-genres listed under it as well. It's a pretty good system and I think we should adapt something similar to that here on NG. Especially for those who mainly composing orchestral works. Not everything with orchestral instrument is EASY LISTENING or CLASSICAL...

This debate has been going on since the stoneage of Newgrounds. Not much has changed since then. Don't know if anything will, but just know it's been an ongoing discussion amongst fellow NG users for a long time.


<Professional Composer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 02:22 AM

At 2/17/13 06:36 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote: I'm not that Envy.

Well, thank you for making it awkward.

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:06 AM

At 2/18/13 02:22 AM, DJDela wrote:
At 2/17/13 06:36 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote: I'm not that Envy.
Well, thank you for making it awkward.

I'm not the one who made it awkward.
..


BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

At 2/17/13 07:08 PM, Buoy wrote: NO! NO MORE FUCKING GENRES. NEVER.

This. I hope they delete the genres and make a tag based system (there is already one btw) where you just put your genres. I think soundcloud has something like this


SUCK MY KICK

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 10:15 AM

At 2/18/13 10:09 AM, Lachi wrote:
At 2/17/13 07:08 PM, Buoy wrote: NO! NO MORE FUCKING GENRES. NEVER.
This. I hope they delete the genres and make a tag based system (there is already one btw) where you just put your genres. I think soundcloud has something like this

Oh yes, then I can tag my songs with every genre I can think of, so people have to listen to my chiptunes even when they search to brutal death metal!!

You would also need groups and so on to make a soundcloud-like system work. The categories as they are right now are okay, but need some tweaking (add some classic subgenres, add chiptunes, remove useless genres such as chipstep etc. pp.). I don't see why this is such a big deal.

Lachi
Lachi
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 02:58 PM

At 2/18/13 10:15 AM, wandschrank wrote: I don't see why this is such a big deal.

This is the question that should be made at the start of these threads


SUCK MY KICK

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:29 PM

At 2/18/13 02:58 PM, Lachi wrote:
At 2/18/13 10:15 AM, wandschrank wrote: I don't see why this is such a big deal.
This is the question that should be made at the start of these threads

Yeah, let's not discuss anything at all, sounds great. :p

Seriously though, apart from the "I don't give a shit, so neither should you, stop crying"-attitude - are there any logical, comprehensible reasons for adding pointless categories (chipstep, nerdcore) while NOT adding categories that would improve the overall organization & usability (World has been mentioned, another Metal category, a chiptune category and so on). "The admins want it" is no good reason, it's just disinterest / obedience / trolling / whatever.

It's not about adding 500 categories. A few important ones would do, instead genres someone just pulled out of his arse get added. Which is funny, but not really beneficial.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:36 PM

It would have been much simpler to just look up to beatport genre organizing when it comes to electronic music, with the exception of the current genres we have here (which are not on beatport).

Lachi
Lachi
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:44 PM

At 2/18/13 03:29 PM, wandschrank wrote:
At 2/18/13 02:58 PM, Lachi wrote:
At 2/18/13 10:15 AM, wandschrank wrote: I don't see why this is such a big deal.
This is the question that should be made at the start of these threads
Yeah, let's not discuss anything at all, sounds great. :p

Seriously though, apart from the "I don't give a shit, so neither should you, stop crying"-attitude - are there any logical, comprehensible reasons for adding pointless categories (chipstep, nerdcore) while NOT adding categories that would improve the overall organization & usability (World has been mentioned, another Metal category, a chiptune category and so on). "The admins want it" is no good reason, it's just disinterest / obedience / trolling / whatever.

It's not about adding 500 categories. A few important ones would do, instead genres someone just pulled out of his arse get added. Which is funny, but not really beneficial.

Not making any advertise, but try to listen to my last two songs (I have only two btw): they are just inclassificable, like 75% of the work here. I'd suggest making some macro-categories, than adding what you need with tags. If you ask me I don't even know what chipstep is


SUCK MY KICK

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:46 PM

Where is the love for Psytrance, Forest, and Goa? :(

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:56 PM


Not making any advertise, but try to listen to my last two songs (I have only two btw): they are just inclassificable, like 75% of the work here. I'd suggest making some macro-categories, than adding what you need with tags. If you ask me I don't even know what chipstep is

To me it sounds like Eurodance. ;D

I know that most songs don't fit into any genre perfectly, but it's really not helpful to add "chipstep" instead of "chiptune". Chiptune would be the macro-category in that case. chipstep a subsubsubsubgenre no one knows and cares about.

At the moment, it just feels like pure arbitrariness.

Mushraven
Mushraven
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 04:12 PM

There should be as many genres are there needs to be. Or there should be none at all. We will all post under the genre called MUSIC from now on.

There is much that could be done for the Audio section of this site and it will, in due time. If I know Newgrounds then I know that swift movement isn't a strong characteristic of this website however they always deliver the best possible answers.


BBS Signature
DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Member since: May. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 07:52 PM

Ok honestly, electro is quite a big genre, most prodcuers and promoting channels consider it to be part of their library. Monstercatmedia is one big one for electro, Liquicity is a good one for Liquid Drum and Bass. Adding "chipstep" or "industrial" , in my opinion, is less important than adding a main genre like electro or drumstep. But hey, I am not an admin, so I can't change anything, I am just provoking some ideas, that's all.

Just stating the obvious.

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 08:13 PM

And how many extra listens are you going to get from labeling your song in your specific genre? Perhaps having the genres so broad is a blessing in disguise. It fools people into clicking on your song, either broadening the listener's tastes or making them disappointed. I like not having any expectations. And since I mainly listen in the Classical and Jazz genres, there's so much an artist can do with those themes that occasionally surprises me. Just make the most of what you can post. That's what I've been doing, and quite frankly I think I have one of the most obscure libraries of unidentified farting obscenity.

We should take Bikini Bottom and push it somewhere else!

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 21st, 2013 @ 05:18 PM

Going to upload a chiptune song. Since there isn't a chiptune genre, is it okay to upload it in classical, or will that upset some people?


BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 37
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 21st, 2013 @ 06:11 PM

At 2/21/13 05:18 PM, SourJovis wrote: Going to upload a chiptune song. Since there isn't a chiptune genre, is it okay to upload it in classical, or will that upset some people?

If you're not sure about it, put it in miscellaneous, and use the tags system to label any genre you want to it.

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 21st, 2013 @ 07:04 PM

At 2/21/13 06:11 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: If you're not sure about it, put it in miscellaneous, and use the tags system to label any genre you want to it.

That's a good idea. I think I'll go with that. Thanks.

Still I wonder what people think about 8-bit in the classic section. Most people put 8-bit standard in the video game section, but 8-bit doesn't equal video game. The song in question isn't made for video games. It's classical music played with 8-bit sounds. Is it than still classical?

Anyway I'll just put in under miscellaneous, with propper tags.


BBS Signature
BlackMist75
BlackMist75
  • Member since: Aug. 17, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:51 AM

Some things could use a few more sub-genres, like the hip-hop genre IMO.

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 23rd, 2013 @ 09:40 AM

At 2/23/13 08:51 AM, BlackMist75 wrote: Some things could use a few more sub-genres, like the hip-hop genre IMO.

Don't you say anything against Nerdcore!1111

Elitistinen
Elitistinen
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 23rd, 2013 @ 01:49 PM

At 2/23/13 09:40 AM, wandschrank wrote:
At 2/23/13 08:51 AM, BlackMist75 wrote: Some things could use a few more sub-genres, like the hip-hop genre IMO.
Don't you say anything against Nerdcore!1111

What is nerdcore?


Sig by Decimating

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 23rd, 2013 @ 02:13 PM

At 2/23/13 01:49 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 2/23/13 09:40 AM, wandschrank wrote:
At 2/23/13 08:51 AM, BlackMist75 wrote: Some things could use a few more sub-genres, like the hip-hop genre IMO.
Don't you say anything against Nerdcore!1111
What is nerdcore?

google and wikipedia is that way


aka SBB! I'm not on Newgrounds anymore, but you can find me here:
Youtube | Soundcloud | Facebook