Be a Supporter!

New genres on the audio portal!

  • 1,423 Views
  • 56 Replies
New Topic
DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Member since: May. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 01:59 PM

I think the audio portal needs to have more genres. Electro is one, drumstep, Liquid drum and bass are some others. Any takes on this subject? Although electro seriously needs to be a genre :)

Lachi
Lachi
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 02:02 PM

At 2/17/13 01:59 PM, DJM4C wrote: I think the audio portal needs to have more genres. Electro is one, drumstep, Liquid drum and bass are some others. Any takes on this subject? Although electro seriously needs to be a genre :)

You could have used the search function, or probably just scrolling by some topics and pages. Already discussed.

Locking this. Ah I can't, anyway, count this as locked


SUCK MY KICK

stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 02:05 PM

I think the main reason there aren't so many genres as there actually are is because so many different sections don't get very many submissions each day. So if they were to split something more vague into something more specific, it would alienate that genre even more. I'm not sure if it's as much of a problem with electronic stuff, but I'm pretty sure it is with the easy listening stuff :p

But I guess another Electro genre wouldn't hurt :p


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 02:11 PM

Just put everything under Chipstep.


Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 02:13 PM

At 2/17/13 02:11 PM, Step wrote: Just put everything under Chipstep.

lets make babies


lel

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 02:31 PM

At 2/17/13 02:05 PM, stunkel wrote: I think the main reason there aren't so many genres as there actually are is because so many different sections don't get very many submissions each day. So if they were to split something more vague into something more specific, it would alienate that genre even more.

Pretty much this...

The only genre I'd agree might be nice is Electro. And even then... that'd still be spreading audio pretty thin... we don't need a million different genres just so that 990,000 of them only have 1-2 people submitting to them.

Regardless... we can't add genres, the admins can, if you want to suggest new genres, send a PM to one of them.


Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 03:37 PM

At 2/17/13 02:13 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 2/17/13 02:11 PM, Step wrote: Just put everything under Chipstep.
lets make babies

Get out of my chipstep category.

Go post under Nerdcore.

Important genres, everyone needs them. And Lachi, I'm very glad you can't lock threads. :P

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 03:56 PM

Look, there is a HUUUUUGEEEEE difference between Electro House and Progressive House, and they should be separated.
Who agrees with this one?

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 04:36 PM

At 2/17/13 03:56 PM, DJDela wrote: Look, there is a HUUUUUGEEEEE difference between Electro House and Progressive House, and they should be separated.
Who agrees with this one?

No.
The most that I would do is what they did with Hip Hop. Vintage and Modern house.


BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 04:41 PM

I need my nu-electro indian throat singing, god damnit!


Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 04:45 PM

And I want a trap and a chiptrap category

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 04:46 PM

At 2/17/13 04:36 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote: No.
The most that I would do is what they did with Hip Hop. Vintage and Modern house.

Why do you care, you don't even post in that Genre?
I was primarily asking people who actually make House and such.

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 04:47 PM

At 2/17/13 04:46 PM, DJDela wrote: Why do you care, you don't even post in that Genre?
I was primarily asking people who actually make House and such.

I posted almost exclusively in that genre on my old account. I am also a house fan to the core.
Please don't judge people without knowing what you're talking about.

The different between Vintage and Modern House is bigger than Progressive and Electro House.
I still wouldn't split the genre.

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:08 PM

Newgrounds really can't do without Doo-wop, Soft core, Polka, Glitch, Chillrave, Italo disco, Probabilly, Oldage, Cheesecake, Apocalipso, Artefact, Stop-motion, Geranium-hooligan, Artstyle, Drone, Kindergarten, Stonerclassic, Glamrock, Dubtronica, Lazy chair-ninja, Minimal deterrence, Lemon-merengue, Progressive regression, Clogging, Kecak, Dubtune, Singer-screenwriter, Schlager, Chord within chord, Counter beat, Caveman, Hardwood, Electric acousto and Rockabilly.


BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:13 PM

Where is CHIPTUNE??? Who's with me?


The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors. — Paulo Freire

stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:14 PM

At 2/17/13 06:13 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Where is CHIPTUNE??? Who's with me?

Yeah, I agree with this. I mean, there was chip step before chip tune? How does that make any sense?


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:17 PM

At 2/17/13 04:47 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote: I posted almost exclusively in that genre on my old account. I am also a house fan to the core.
Please don't judge people without knowing what you're talking about.

The different between Vintage and Modern House is bigger than Progressive and Electro House.
I still wouldn't split the genre.

Ooooh, Envy... yeah I'm sorry, I even have you on my favorites list.
But honestly, I don't see how significant is the difference between vintage and modern.

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:20 PM

At 2/17/13 06:14 PM, stunkel wrote:
At 2/17/13 06:13 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Where is CHIPTUNE??? Who's with me?
Yeah, I agree with this. I mean, there was chip step before chip tune? How does that make any sense?

I agree, too. I made a thread back then, but it got instantly closed because it's apparently completely up to the admins to add new, meaningful categories such as chipstep and nerdcore.

camoshark
camoshark
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:26 PM

Classical and Jazz are two very active genres, yet there literally NO subgenres for them. There is also no World genre, leaving you to put any ethnic music either under Miscellaneous or Latin, which is frankly retarded.

And yet there are over 10 subgenres for Electronica.


Innovative works come from lateral thinking. NGADM Paring List 2013!
SoundCloud | Logical-Defiance | Facebook

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:29 PM

At 2/17/13 06:20 PM, wandschrank wrote:
At 2/17/13 06:14 PM, stunkel wrote:

This place is so fascist...


The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors. — Paulo Freire

stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:29 PM

At 2/17/13 06:26 PM, camoshark wrote: Classical and Jazz are two very active genres, yet there literally NO subgenres for them. There is also no World genre, leaving you to put any ethnic music either under Miscellaneous or Latin, which is frankly retarded.

And yet there are over 10 subgenres for Electronica.

But again... Each of those 10 sub genres in electronica all get the same amount of submissions as Classical alone. So it wouldn't be healthy for the Classical section to split it up even more :/


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Member since: May. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:30 PM

At 2/17/13 02:02 PM, Lachi wrote:
At 2/17/13 01:59 PM, DJM4C wrote: I think the audio portal needs to have more genres. Electro is one, drumstep, Liquid drum and bass are some others. Any takes on this subject? Although electro seriously needs to be a genre :)
You could have used the search function, or probably just scrolling by some topics and pages. Already discussed.

Locking this. Ah I can't, anyway, count this as locked

It has been discussed a long time ago, new genres have arisen. That's why I want new opinions on these things. And usually people dont even respond to those old topics. And haha, you cant lock something unless you're a mod :p

camoshark
camoshark
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:35 PM

At 2/17/13 06:29 PM, stunkel wrote:
At 2/17/13 06:26 PM, camoshark wrote: Classical and Jazz are two very active genres, yet there literally NO subgenres for them. There is also no World genre, leaving you to put any ethnic music either under Miscellaneous or Latin, which is frankly retarded.

And yet there are over 10 subgenres for Electronica.
But again... Each of those 10 sub genres in electronica all get the same amount of submissions as Classical alone. So it wouldn't be healthy for the Classical section to split it up even more :/

Brit Pop has 8 pages of content and has been around since the very beginning.

Meanwhile, Classical has 387 pages. I don't see how adding a subgenre would be "unhealthy".


Innovative works come from lateral thinking. NGADM Paring List 2013!
SoundCloud | Logical-Defiance | Facebook

BBS Signature
Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:36 PM

At 2/17/13 06:26 PM, camoshark wrote: There is also no World genre,

+1 for World as a genre.

At 2/17/13 06:17 PM, DJDela wrote: Ooooh, Envy... yeah

I'm not that Envy.


BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:40 PM

At 2/17/13 06:35 PM, camoshark wrote:
At 2/17/13 06:29 PM, stunkel wrote:
At 2/17/13 06:26 PM, camoshark wrote: Classical and Jazz are two very active genres, yet there literally NO subgenres for them. There is also no World genre, leaving you to put any ethnic music either under Miscellaneous or Latin, which is frankly retarded.

And yet there are over 10 subgenres for Electronica.
But again... Each of those 10 sub genres in electronica all get the same amount of submissions as Classical alone. So it wouldn't be healthy for the Classical section to split it up even more :/
Brit Pop has 8 pages of content and has been around since the very beginning.

Meanwhile, Classical has 387 pages. I don't see how adding a subgenre would be "unhealthy".

The way I see, that anything that has orchestra instruments in them are being considered wrongly as Classical music. Hm, perhaps NG only considers to submit genres based on how mainstream is it, despise the actual popularity of it on NG?


The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors. — Paulo Freire

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:43 PM

Brit Pop has 8 pages of content and has been around since the very beginning.

Meanwhile, Classical has 387 pages. I don't see how adding a subgenre would be "unhealthy".

Yep, Classical could need more subgenres. But this is even more urgent for the category "video game". Around 30-50% of that category consist of chiptunes, yet there is now a "chipstep" category instead.

People started putting some chiptunes into chipstep, which is simply wrong as chipstep is a "subsubgenre" of chiptunes / dubstep which nearly no one ever heard of. If you would remove the spam / chiptunes out of the chipstep category, 10-15 songs would be left.. and it has only 1 page. If you search "chipstep" on Youtube, you find roughly 1k songs. Chiptune: Over 160.000.

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:45 PM

If you want genres, go to TraxInSpace.
They have Goa and Experimental.
And genre double listing in addition to tagging.

which I would love to see on NG as a feature.

...

they also have "Rockabilly" which I have no idea what that is.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:54 PM

At 2/17/13 06:45 PM, Tydusis wrote:
And genre double listing in addition to tagging.
which I would love to see on NG as a feature.

Where have you been? Tagging has been available on NG audio since the redesign.

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 06:56 PM

At 2/17/13 06:54 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 2/17/13 06:45 PM, Tydusis wrote:
And genre double listing in addition to tagging.
which I would love to see on NG as a feature.
Where have you been? Tagging has been available on NG audio since the redesign.

I knew about the tagging. I'm just trying to say that double listing would be nice, too.
...

Can we get an extra tag? lol

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to New genres on the audio portal! Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 07:08 PM

NO! NO MORE FUCKING GENRES. NEVER.