New Topic Respond to this Topic
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:15 AM Reply

So, you might notice that on my profile, I have a relatively high amount of saves compared to my blams. Is this because I always vote positively? No, it's because I try to blam something that's just one of those shitty cookie cutter games posted by bots, and I fail. I always do, and to put it in perspective my voting power is seven and a half votes, so I'd say that either we have some very retarded high level users, or all of the users who could actually do something ignore the portal while new users swarm in and vote 5.

Why doesn't anyone care about the portal? I've tried to blam almost fifty flash in the past three days, however, I have failed on most, if not all of them. These include things people said were "tests" and "spam". What gives, Newgrounds?

Member of Alpha Team in the WNG. Find out how to join here.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:30 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 09:15 AM, Suprememessage wrote: What gives, Newgrounds?

It seems the userbase is split in two fractions, the caring oldtime portalists (like me and you and Bahamut) who try to vote justly and wish that the system would work as efficiently as it did a couple of years ago in sorting out the crap, and the overwhelming base of new users who tend to like everything and fiven it, some to get automatic save points, but most of them I believe just as a good gesture towards the creator. It's been posted about earlier, but obviously it's still an ongoing problem. I have a few suggestions as to how to possibly solve the 'issue':

- During the UJ stage, 0s and 1s could gain increased downvoting power, to make up for overwhelming amount of automatic 5s.

- Users could be educated on the importance of the voting system, maybe though a quick guide in the wiki? The current system doesn't really detail the importance of it.

- The "You blammed this submission!" animation could make a re-appearance, motivating users to downvote submissions not worthy of submission knowing that they may be awarded for their practice!

- Adding some VP based on sign-up date, but that would probably be a bit unfair to new users. :/

Am I missing some great alternative? :/

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:33 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 09:30 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Am I missing some great alternative? :/

Maybe a good idea would be putting a small delay between each vote you can make, forcing them to actually watch the flash or play the game. So they can't just instant vote 5.

BBS Signature
Dawcio510
Dawcio510
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:36 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 09:15 AM, Suprememessage wrote: So, you might notice that on my profile, I have a relatively high amount of saves compared to my blams. Is this because I always vote positively? No, it's because I try to blam something that's just one of those shitty cookie cutter games posted by bots, and I fail. I always do, and to put it in perspective my voting power is seven and a half votes, so I'd say that either we have some very retarded high level users, or all of the users who could actually do something ignore the portal while new users swarm in and vote 5.

Why doesn't anyone care about the portal? I've tried to blam almost fifty flash in the past three days, however, I have failed on most, if not all of them. These include things people said were "tests" and "spam". What gives, Newgrounds?

Lol, I think I have only 7-4 blams and 24 saves, lol, I tried to blam more of the flashes/ games because they were bad, not even good, I mostly vote 3-5, but... WHEN SOMETHING ISH BAD I VOTE 1, to blam this shit.

"I fapped to this topic."
- Razeroath.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 09:33 AM, Suprememessage wrote: Maybe a good idea would be putting a small delay between each vote you can make, forcing them to actually watch the flash or play the game. So they can't just instant vote 5.

They tried that once. The users weren't very happy with the feature. :/

I must admit I wasn't either, even though it might help.
At 2/17/13 09:36 AM, Dawcio510 wrote: WHEN SOMETHING ISH BAD I VOTE 1, to blam this shit.

That's the way to go. :)

Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:41 AM Reply

I vote 0 on everything and for the past week I've gained 0 blam points.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:44 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 09:41 AM, Jin wrote: I vote 0 on everything and for the past week I've gained 0 blam points.

That's a sign as good as any that the system really isn't working well. O_o

Still though, why 0 everything?
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:47 AM Reply

Maybe if we all just ignore the portal, it'll go away

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:49 AM Reply

What happens is that since new users have no real influence to successfully delete shit they're just forced to follow suit with the voting habits displayed in the portal which at one point escalated to saving everything and since you have to accommodate the predominant voting habits of the community to obtain any kind of significant power it never dropped off.

The problem is that the number of people trying to play catch-up outnumber the amount of people who've already achieved a high power level.

It's really just an illusion of power when you think about it.

Dawcio510
Dawcio510
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:49 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 09:41 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
That's the way to go. :)

Yea... That's tha way!

"I fapped to this topic."
- Razeroath.

BBS Signature
Chrausner
Chrausner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 09:52 AM Reply

Check out my awful save:blam ratio (12,000 saves against 600 blams). I blam stuff everyday, but I get from 0~4 blams per day.

I heard that the blams were overwhelming back in the early years of NG existence.

At 2/17/13 09:30 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
- Adding some VP based on sign-up date, but that would probably be a bit unfair to new users. :/

Hell no. That's very unfair for fresh new users who are fit for battle in the Portal. I think most veteran NGers have retired from B/Ping, and I've seen plenty of '10, '11 users with lots of potential to replace the veterans for the job.

At 2/17/13 09:41 AM, Jin wrote: I vote 0 on everything and for the past week I've gained 0 blam points.

0 blams were available for the past few days, I believe, but I racked up some blams within the past 24 hours, so the blams are coming back...for a while.

Epic blam:save ratio you got there, btw. I envy that.

| Level 23 | Captain | Deity Whistle | DnB Producer
MLP: FiM Crew - Elite Guard Barracks - AF Lounge
Be my friend and you'll receive a cookie. ^____^

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 10:13 AM Reply

If I remember correctly we at one point had a crew specifically for blamming horrible flashes. What ever happened to that?

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 10:13 AM Reply

In all honesty the only way to actually maintain a steady ability to blam shitty movies is to develop a crew. We can't host it on the NG forums though, we'll have to do it with PM blasts 'n shit.

Or we could develop an InvisionFree board. That could work too.
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 10:15 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 10:13 AM, Suprememessage wrote: If I remember correctly we at one point had a crew specifically for blamming horrible flashes. What ever happened to that?

It was banned because it was considered unfair. What a croc of shit. It's not unfair unless people start creating alts to amplify their power and you don't need a large group of other people to do that. Our merely banning together shouldn't be considered cheating.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 10:52 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 09:47 AM, saqwert wrote: Maybe if we all just ignore the portal, it'll go away

So will Newgrounds, and we don't want that!

At 2/17/13 09:49 AM, Psychopath wrote: It's really just an illusion of power when you think about it.

The voting power, you mean? I wonder how much the newer users outnumber the old ones by, 8 votes per old member x 1 votes per new member, I wonder how it adds up... the real villains are users with high VP just following flow though. :/

At 2/17/13 09:52 AM, Chrausner wrote: I heard that the blams were overwhelming back in the early years of NG existence.

They really were, just look at the obituaries around 2007-2008. You could get a regular 140 blam points per day if you voted right.

Hell no. That's very unfair for fresh new users who are fit for battle in the Portal. I think most veteran NGers have retired from B/Ping, and I've seen plenty of '10, '11 users with lots of potential to replace the veterans for the job.

Hehe, yeah I mentioned it wouldn't be a very popular idea :D

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 10:56 AM Reply

2 thousand saves and 200 blams.
Amicoolyet?

original I am.

BBS Signature
i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 10:57 AM Reply

many users with very high voting power (and B/P counts) stop being active after some point. the lack of participation might be a problem. other users (collectively) seem to have more control over the scores and most just go with the flow (especially stat hungry people) and the equlibrium point is shifted.

i wonder how people's voting habit would change if the admins start to penalise those whose votes differ significantly from the average score. (say someone has rated 5 while the average score is just 1.5) the system is not hard to implement.

this will force some protectors to give lower ratings and hence the number of blams will increase. i am not exactly sure what will happen in the long term though, but the average score of all flash submissions will probably be constrained to certain ranges, instead of increasing monotonically.

^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

Lorkas
Lorkas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:06 AM Reply

People want their stats. This has been a dilemma for as long as the voting system has existed. Most people just want their blam/protection points so they either vote 0 or 5, because that gives them better odds at gaining points. Now that I think about it, it would be a lot more efficient to just vote 5 on everything without even viewing it, you'd save a lot of time and still have a 40-50% "accuracy rate". Hate to admit it, but I used to vote like this when I was younger. It worked like a charm. Then there are a few gallant souls, who vote honestly on all submissions according to their quality.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12
NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:11 AM Reply

Blams - 1,141
Saves - 2,083

I don't think I have such a bad ratio. But then again, most of my blamming and saving was in the younger years of my account, I haven't done much with the portal these days. I suppose this is part of the reason why; I'm convinced that my vote won't do anything. Just about everything passes these days, no matter how terrible it is.

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:13 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 10:57 AM, i-am-ghey wrote: many users with very high voting power (and B/P counts) stop being active after some point. the lack of participation might be a problem. other users (collectively) seem to have more control over the scores and most just go with the flow (especially stat hungry people) and the equlibrium point is shifted.

i wonder how people's voting habit would change if the admins start to penalise those whose votes differ significantly from the average score. (say someone has rated 5 while the average score is just 1.5) the system is not hard to implement.

this will force some protectors to give lower ratings and hence the number of blams will increase. i am not exactly sure what will happen in the long term though, but the average score of all flash submissions will probably be constrained to certain ranges, instead of increasing monotonically.

The problem with this is that it would be easier to perpetuate stealing the daily high because people could just spam 5 with other users on their flash when it's submitted, thus not allowing any other votes. Maybe the way to go would be to make it so that users would have to put variety in their vote. (I.e you couldn't use 5 twice in a row). That way they actually have to think about how they vote.

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:17 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 11:11 AM, Scarface wrote: Just about everything passes these days, no matter how terrible it is.

Especially the "Secret Missing Episode" series.

Lorkas
Lorkas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:18 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 10:57 AM, i-am-ghey wrote: many users with very high voting power (and B/P counts) stop being active after some point. the lack of participation might be a problem. other users (collectively) seem to have more control over the scores and most just go with the flow (especially stat hungry people) and the equlibrium point is shifted.

It would work in theory, but in reality it would be extremely unfair. Basically you would have to appeal to the general opinion. You would be punished if you dare vote 5 on a submission that has a score of 1.5. It would impossible to check if the person just spams 4s and 5s or if he genuinely enjoys the movies (unless you implement a mind-reading system). The current system we have has its flaws, yes, but implementing a rule like that which you described would be TOOOO totalitarian.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12
NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature
i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:23 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 11:13 AM, Suprememessage wrote: The problem with this is that it would be easier to perpetuate stealing the daily high because people could just spam 5 with other users on their flash when it's submitted, thus not allowing any other votes.

???

i mean people should lose points/etc... if their vote is very different from the average score (at the point of passing judgement/being blammed).

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:25 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 11:18 AM, Lorkas wrote: It would work in theory, but in reality it would be extremely unfair. Basically you would have to appeal to the general opinion. You would be punished if you dare vote 5 on a submission that has a score of 1.5. It would impossible to check if the person just spams 4s and 5s or if he genuinely enjoys the movies (unless you implement a mind-reading system). The current system we have has its flaws, yes, but implementing a rule like that which you described would be TOOOO totalitarian.

In fact it'd be worse than before because voting five on something would no longer be a collective habit, it would be deliberately enforced.

I still maintain the position that the only way to fix this is to create a new Blam crew.

Archonic
Archonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:31 AM Reply

Hasn't raising the passing average from 1.6 to ~2 been talked about somewhere?

satanbrain is always wrong
EGB || Bat Crew || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature
NothingStudios
NothingStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Movie Buff
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:36 AM Reply

I used to vote five on everything. Now I don't really vote much. Maybe I should start.

The Portal Blam and Save dilemna

;333333333

BBS Signature
NothingStudios
NothingStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Movie Buff
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:37 AM Reply

Also, would you consider this a gimmick? (The pic)

;333333333

BBS Signature
i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 11:31 AM, Spretznaz wrote: Hasn't raising the passing average from 1.6 to ~2 been talked about somewhere?

that was suggestsed by me, yes.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:46 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 11:36 AM, NothingStudios wrote: I used to vote five on everything. Now I don't really vote much. Maybe I should start.

Depends, have those voting morals evolved?

At 2/17/13 11:06 AM, Lorkas wrote: People want their stats.

It seems people don't want their blam points enough though, when blam points start becoming a real rarity, maybe the tide will turn automatically?

At 2/17/13 10:56 AM, mandog wrote: 2 thousand saves and 200 blams.
Amicoolyet?

Alas, f it was the other way around! 1/10th blams? Pfft...

NothingStudios
NothingStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Movie Buff
Response to The Portal Blam and Save dilemna Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 11:50 AM Reply

depends, have those voting morals evolved?

Sort of, if its genuinely unfunny or cookie-cutter or whatever, I'll vote 0, but I've always loved spam (really, I personally think its hilarious) but, I know most users (including fulp bros) won't appreciate me voting 3's or 5's on spam.

;333333333

BBS Signature