chaosed
chaosed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Looking For Useful Guidance 2013-02-17 02:36:15 Reply

This being my 1st post in the forums I would like to say hello NG ^ ^

Anyway onto my issue. See I have an interest of getting into animation. However I feel I need to develop a degree of artistic ability before I start. My problem with this is, I am having trouble getting started. Anyone I have ever talked to has told me one thing and one thing only, draw...lots. Now I understand the importance of practice, but I feel I want more structure. I plan on doing a lot of character animation if that helps. I feel like I am developing a lot of bad habits, and end up getting frustrated with it. I remember drawing when I was a lot younger(I am 21) it was easy because it didn't matter what it looked like people tried to motivate you to continue. Now it is just a lot of disappointment. I digress, I am just looking for some advice in learning how to do draw in a more structured way so I can feel progress, and work at it like a skill.

hopefully that isn't to much of a wall of text, and thank you for your time ^.^

Ryoma-Hechizen
Ryoma-Hechizen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Looking For Useful Guidance 2013-02-17 02:46:47 Reply

From personal experience what you need to do is draw a lot, and find different your own compatible styles, you don't need to do academic drawing (real proportion/anatomy)...or if you do...then go outside and watch your surroundings.

Don't expect to get better from 1 day to another, but do expect to improve at least a little with each drawing you do, for example focus on hands, foot , face or whatever you don't do well on 1 day and then focus on other thing you don't draw well on the other. That is all the help I can provide, good luck

BBS Signature
chaosed
chaosed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Looking For Useful Guidance 2013-02-17 04:08:06 Reply

I want to add that I am not looking a quick way out or something along those lines. I plan to put in the time and effort to learn to get better. I am just asking for a little direction more or less.

RogueSoul
RogueSoul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Looking For Useful Guidance 2013-02-17 05:41:46 Reply

It would REALLY help your cause if you could post some pictures of your work. People will be able to gauge your existing skills and point you in the right direction. Why don't you draw a character and post it here?

nope, no sig.

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Looking For Useful Guidance 2013-02-17 09:18:09 Reply

want to animate people? learn anatomy and how the human body moves and works.

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
chaosed
chaosed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Looking For Useful Guidance 2013-02-17 19:25:16 Reply

At 2/17/13 05:41 AM, RogueSoul wrote: It would REALLY help your cause if you could post some pictures of your work. People will be able to gauge your existing skills and point you in the right direction. Why don't you draw a character and post it here?

Hey, thanks for the input. I will draw some stuff out n post it then.

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Looking For Useful Guidance 2013-02-17 21:53:11 Reply

You can theoretically learn to animate before you learn to draw. You can also learn them both simultaneously. Start with the basics of animation. Im talking about the super basics, like flip book level, a ball rolling on the ground or something. Try it with tweens, then frame by frame, then modify that ball so that it has some extra drawn in elements for effect, like motion lines, blurs, etc.

Get a solid understanding of how animation works on a base level and what various methods you can use to achieve something. While doing this, gradually increase the detail of that ball, add some shadow, add a light source, change said shadow and light source as it moves. Make the ball morph into a square, a triangle, a star, a star with legs. Make those legs walk. Draw better legs, make those legs walk. See where im going with this. Eventually you should reach a state where your animation level, and level of drawing that is compatible with animation are pretty well established. There is a reason why many animations and animators focus on simplicity to start, its easier to work with a stick figure and get smooth animation first, than it is to make a decent looking frame by frame of a super detailed figure.

Once you are comfortable and have pretty smooth and suitable animation, you can then start to worry about how good your characters look, it will be much easier to know how to design a character for animation if you understand what is needed for that animation.