New Topic Respond to this Topic
Selren02k
Selren02k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 05:44 PM Reply

I just realized that I press c with the wrong finger, the index finger. You're supposed to use your middle finger? I've been touch typing for 8 years and just now realized I'm typing with the wrong finger on c... surely this can't make much of a difference but it's not the right way.

How many of you use your index finger to type C? (if you use the home row keys to type like you're supposed to this matters more)

I'm just curious, I've lately been interested in different keyboard layouts, mainly dvorak and colemak but I think I'm going to try to learn the colemak typing layout since it's even more efficient than dvorak (most common letters on homerow) but that's off topic.

BBS Signature
CaptainQuartz
CaptainQuartz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 05:47 PM Reply

Typing 101. Your index fingers are only suppose to be used for F, R, V, T, G ,B, and maybe something in the number row.

However; unless your job involves typing at a fast rate such as being a fucking stenographer or something (they don't even use a QWERTY keyboard) then don't obsess.

Winrar1337
Winrar1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 05:48 PM Reply

Fuck that shit, I use my ring finger for the shift key and my index fingers for everything else.

"Censorship is telling a man that he cannot have a steak just because a baby cannot chew it." - Mark Twain

tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 05:49 PM Reply

at the same point you have to ask your self how many of us siply type with only 4 fingers or 6 fingers...

call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Selren02k
Selren02k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 05:50 PM Reply

At 2/16/13 05:47 PM, DemonsRemorse wrote: Typing 101. Your index fingers are only suppose to be used for F, R, V, T, G ,B, and maybe something in the number row.

However; unless your job involves typing at a fast rate such as being a fucking stenographer or something (they don't even use a QWERTY keyboard) then don't obsess.

But I want to type faster, and more efficiently, hence the different keyboard layouts..

You can get crazy high speeds on qwerty (170+) per minute but I'm trying to get 130-140wpm, which will take a while since I only type 95ish wpm on qwerty and trying to relearn a layout will drastically reduce my typing speed obviously because it's relearning how to type.

I only noticed that I was pressing the wrong key when I was typing in colemak tutor programs and I was pressing c with my middle finger in the test (it's in the same spot as qwerty)

cool story

BBS Signature
VJF
VJF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 05:53 PM Reply

I usually just use two fingers pecking on the keyboard myself. I can still get in 40-60 words per minute doing it that way.

"I await the sweet release of Death. And I plan to take my enemies with me."---Unknown source.
"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature
CaptainQuartz
CaptainQuartz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 05:55 PM Reply

At 2/16/13 05:50 PM, Selren02k wrote:
At 2/16/13 05:47 PM, DemonsRemorse wrote: Typing 101. Your index fingers are only suppose to be used for F, R, V, T, G ,B, and maybe something in the number row.

But I want to type faster, and more efficiently, hence the different keyboard layouts..

You can get crazy high speeds on qwerty (170+) per minute but I'm trying to get 130-140wpm, which will take a while since I only type 95ish wpm on qwerty and trying to relearn a layout will drastically reduce my typing speed obviously because it's relearning how to type.

I only noticed that I was pressing the wrong key when I was typing in colemak tutor programs and I was pressing c with my middle finger in the test (it's in the same spot as qwerty)
cool story

I took a couple of classes in High School that really only focused on improving our typing skills. If that's your goal, the biggest thing you have to remember is that each finger is only suppose to hit a certain set of keys, such as the middle finger on your left hand is only suppose to hit E, D, C - remember those rules, stick to them, and be observant. You may not notice it, but there are probably a lot of keys you hit wrong without noticing. It's a habit, and those are a bitch to break.

Selren02k
Selren02k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 05:55 PM Reply

At 2/16/13 05:53 PM, VJF wrote: I usually just use two fingers pecking on the keyboard myself. I can still get in 40-60 words per minute doing it that way.

by the way Touch Typing means not looking at your keyboard, but this topic in general is mostly targeted at people that use the whole home row without looking where they type

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 05:58 PM Reply

Lol, it's doesn't matter how you type stuff, it's matter how fast and accurate you type.

Selren02k
Selren02k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 2/16/13 05:58 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Lol, it's doesn't matter how you type stuff, it's matter how fast and accurate you type.

I previously would have considered myself a distinguished qwerty typer but after examining different keyboard layouts for a while, it has showed me the error of my ways, not necessarily going to make it easier to fix though...

I only ever use the left shift no matter what... and typing c with the wrong finger (that's the only key)

these are the only things I've noticed wrong but apparently I'm doing something wrong if I can't increase my wpm (i can get 100-115wpm sometimes depending on the typing test) but after switching layouts for a few days and typing on qwerty I've seen my typing speed diminish greatly mostly with dvorak though.

Colemak is easier to learn than dvorak because it only move 17 keys instead of 33 compared to dvorak and it keeps the shortcuts in the same spot as qwerty like control + x control + c, etc... The only real advantage of switching is if you want to move your fingers less to type the same amount of stuff which can do wonders for your hands IF they actually hurt when you type normally, my fingers don't hurt at all because I've adjusted through so many years of use but I thought it'd be pretty neat to test out different layouts.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 06:08 PM Reply

I can't believe that the finger that is supposed to touch the c button is the middle one, I've always used index.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 06:39 PM Reply

Halt, friend!

Binding each finger to specific sets of keys is simple systemization to simplify the learning process of touch typing. There's nothing wrong with ignoring the standard scheme, as long as you are able to touch type. This means being able to type without looking at the keyboard, and this trait itself is the greatest benefit of the touch typing skill.

In fact, being more dynamic (and thereby ignorant of the standard scheme) will increase your typing speed. Try typing the word "decide". Following the standard scheme, you would have to use your left middle finger to type all but one of the letters. This is horrendously inefficient, and you can easily increase your typing speed by simply deviating from the standard scheme in such situations. In the example of the word "decide", you can angle your left hand slightly clockwise and position your ring finger on the letter "e", middle finger on "d" and your index finger on "c". The improvement should be obvious.

A living example of this method is Sean Wrona, who is able to reach speeds exceeding 220WPM using the standard QWERTY layout.

BBS Signature
Strength
Strength
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 11:26 PM Reply

hey guys i'm strength

ok

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 11:29 PM Reply

Unless you NEED to type fast, I think you should just type in whatever way is most comfortable and not worry about the "right" way.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
Strength
Strength
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 11:33 PM Reply

some people wear fox fur

on the source cover i wore a fox

ok

BBS Signature
saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 11:38 PM Reply

I use my two middle fingers to type all of the letters, numbers, space, etc. However, I use my ring finger to hold shift and the like.

I can't use my index fingers for jack shit, except when using WASD in games and the like.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 11:41 PM Reply

That's kind of weird. I always used my index finger to type C. I just tried out using my middle finger and it felt unnatural.

I don't like change.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 11:43 PM Reply

I touch type with just my two index fingers and perhaps my left thumb for the space bar depending where my fingers are at the time. I don't really care how wrong this is, its how I type and the only thing that causes me to make mistakes is usually my brain completely mistaken one word for another and thus I type that word out instead.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 11:45 PM Reply

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Yeah, I guess I use the my index finger for the C key as well. Is it really supposed to be your middle finger? That seems like a really awkward position to put your hand in.

BBS Signature
Selren02k
Selren02k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 11:53 PM Reply

At 2/16/13 11:45 PM, Oolaph wrote: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Yeah, I guess I use the my index finger for the C key as well. Is it really supposed to be your middle finger? That seems like a really awkward position to put your hand in.

Yeah it is a little strange... I don't think it will be easy to adapt to that on the qwerty layout so I'm gonna try colmak and maybe I can get over the 'plateau' of my typing speed... I hear some people can type 120 wpm with just 2 fucking fingers, I use all my fingers and type mostly less than 100wpm FML

My goal is to type atleast 125-135wpm, either way I'd be happy

This is going to take forever.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 11:59 PM Reply

At 2/16/13 11:53 PM, Selren02k wrote: Yeah it is a little strange... I don't think it will be easy to adapt to that on the qwerty layout so I'm gonna try colmak and maybe I can get over the 'plateau' of my typing speed... I hear some people can type 120 wpm with just 2 fucking fingers, I use all my fingers and type mostly less than 100wpm FML

My goal is to type atleast 125-135wpm, either way I'd be happy

This is going to take forever.

I've heard that the Dvorak layout is incredibly easy on the fingers and easy to type quickly with, you might want to try that one out as well if Colemak doesn't work out.

BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 12:00 AM Reply

I use my index finger to type "C". I don't really care about it. I type how I want to. I'm glad I don't have to take a computer class in school anymore because the teacher would always freak out if a student did something in a way other than the way you are supposed to while typing.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 12:02 AM Reply

At 2/16/13 05:44 PM, Selren02k wrote: How many of you use your index finger to type C?

I do too. My typing set up isn't perfect though, I have the hands in the right places but I type with three fingers on my left hand (mostly index finger) and just one finger on the right, plus thumb for space. According to speed tests I still get up to around 200 WPM, so all things considered, that's not so bad...

Selren02k
Selren02k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 12:05 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 12:02 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: According to speed tests I still get up to around 200 WPM, so all things considered, that's not so bad...

The fuck? 200? is that typo

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 12:20 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 12:05 AM, Selren02k wrote:
At 2/17/13 12:02 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: According to speed tests I still get up to around 200 WPM, so all things considered, that's not so bad...
The fuck? 200? is that typo

No typo, my record is 242 I think. But then again, that speed is based upon the typing of simple words, without thought, so I probably don't ever reach that speed typing normally. :/

Selren02k
Selren02k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 12:31 PM Reply

At 2/17/13 12:20 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: No typo, my record is 242 I think. But then again, that speed is based upon the typing of simple words, without thought, so I probably don't ever reach that speed typing normally. :/

Try this test

The fastest on there is 203wpm for 1minute, and then he gets about 174-175 on a 50 minute test

I can only seem to type 82-88wpm on that site :L

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 12:59 PM Reply

At 2/17/13 12:31 PM, Selren02k wrote: Try this test

Aw, Java? I just uninstalled that shit. :( Guess I'll have to re-install...

How much do you score on this test, btw? That's the one I've typing most on.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 01:12 PM Reply

At 2/17/13 12:59 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:

"better than 64.46 % of all users" I guess this isn't bad then..

Selren02k
Selren02k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 01:19 PM Reply

At 2/17/13 12:59 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:

My fingers are cold as shit atm, my accuracy is so terrible. It's probably 50ish fahrenheit degrees in my room, but I have gotten upwards over 100wpm on their

BBS Signature
beakerboy
beakerboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Attn: Touch Typists Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 01:24 PM Reply

I don't give a fuck what fingers press what keys on my keyboard. My WPM is at 95.

I have a strong personality, so bite me.