New Topic Respond to this Topic
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-15 14:07:31 Reply

A lot of the EDM artists that hop around here (including me) have once thought 'This is what I wanna do for a living', and a lot of those people have also taken the next step towards achieving that: sending a demo to a record label. However, the response to our email 'listen to this plox' with a 128 mp3 attached make our over-enthusiasm turn into disappointment: 'Sorry, not for us'. The same goes for the other labels which we also sent a CC of the same email. We feel bad and wonder if our music sucks. We sit in a corner and cry. And a few weeks later we do the exact same thing. Why? Because the idea mentioned earlier is stuck so deep it can't get out of our brain. Ask Leonardo DiCaprio.

Cut the crap. This article was published on Beatport today. Take a serious look at it.
Want to get signed to Size, Big Beat, Axtone, Spinnin', Toolroom, or Refune? Here's what you need to know.

These are the A&R guys of some of the biggest labels of the EDM industry talking about demos. The conclusion is: what they see is just as important as what they hear, and they're darn right. You're trying to get into the professional music industry here, so act professional.

So how do you write a nice, professional email?
6 Step to Sending the Perfect Demo Submission
The idea of this article is to inspire you and show you the do's and don'ts of sending a demo. You're not supposed to copycat that shit like you've life depends on it. I recommend you to read it carefully.

Last but not least, a summary about the REAL music industry.
A great guide to the EDM business via Ferry Corsten
You can trust what it says: the music industry is one big clusterfuck. You're on your own there. There's nobody to help when your label decides to buttfuck you. Consider what you're gonna do.

Why am I, an unexperienced bedroom producer who has never had a label release saying this? Because in a community with a shitload of music producers, somebody has to spread the word about how things really work. Now discuss and think about it.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Mushraven
Mushraven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-18 21:46:30 Reply

There is a lot of great information there. Most of which I had no idea about. I've never really thought about ever getting signed or anything. I just have this need to create and while I'm still very beginner and amateurish I have an anstounding eagerness to learn all I can.

It's not my goal to make music professionally, but I'm sure it would be a dream come true for many aspiring artists around here and there is a lot of great stuff in there that should be read.

Thank you for the information.

BBS Signature
stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 00:08:00 Reply

Hm...maybe I should start a digital distribution label sometime if it's that cheap, not even to sign other people, just so I can add to itunes, beatport, etc for free, if that's actually true, I'll get 9% more profit than going through a distribution company. I'll only have to split a percentage with the website it's on.
Although I do believe a minimal amount of content is required, like 20 albums for itunes, but the article said free, I've never tried doing it myself so I wouldn't know.

Either way lots of good info, I think I'll keep investing in my music myself, if you're not willing to put money into your music, it's likely no one else will want to either.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 00:09:36 Reply

What can labels do for music artists in an age where the CD and album concept is dead?

stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 00:13:15 Reply

At 2/19/13 12:09 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: What can labels do for music artists in an age where the CD and album concept is dead?

Give you money.

Labels can advance those who lack the money to invest in advertisement, equipment, shows, tours, and the like. Of course the label has to think you're talented enough to make their investment a safe and smart one most of the time.

DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 00:34:51 Reply

To be completely honest, for those who are serious about becoming a producer for a living, get REALLY good first. By that I mean make your tracks comparable to those which you envy/listen to every day.

Then, wait. If you have good music, people will come. Gain a following before you send demos to labels. I haven't sent any demos to any promos lately, and I have had more promos contact me than me contacting them.

So get good, get known, then get money. Ya feel me?

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 00:38:42 Reply

At 2/19/13 12:13 AM, stratkat wrote: Give you money.

Labels can advance...

One of the silliest things an artist can do is spend that advance.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 02:21:19 Reply

At 2/19/13 12:09 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: What can labels do for music artists in an age where the CD and album concept is dead?

Ok, I'm sorry but that question is a bit stupid.
The sales on beatport and itunes can't even be compared to the sales on independent artist' sites.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 02:30:30 Reply

Some great reads! Thanks, Liquid!

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 07:08:08 Reply

At 2/15/13 02:07 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: A lot of the EDM artists

I knew it lol

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 08:04:28 Reply

At 2/19/13 07:08 AM, Buoy wrote:
At 2/15/13 02:07 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: A lot of the EDM artists
I knew it lol

No one is interested in other music, get used to it.

*counts his cash*

Ohh yes, 3$ this month.

Cross666
Cross666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 09:23:30 Reply

Starting a D.D. label is not cheap, if you're going to do it right. And it's also not that easy to get a distributor.

It took me several months back-forthing emails with Label Worx to get a deal with them, and the cost of mastering tracks for a professional, commercial release is not cheap. The amount of time and effort into forming a label is very, very taxing, especially if you plan on doing it right.

But no amount of red flagging is probably going to convince you otherwise, so go ahead and try it. Lessons are best learned through experience.

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 10:33:08 Reply

musician is not a job, get over it

SUCK MY KICK

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 11:03:40 Reply

Glad someone decided to bump this thread. The information I gave is a goldmine for people who consider taking music production to the next level.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 21:05:49 Reply

At 2/19/13 08:59 PM, Corbetto wrote: smh at edm artists who think they are going to make a career out of their music.
The music industry is incredibly unfair, just make music for fun and as a hobby like i do.

Yes, master.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 22:22:08 Reply

At 2/19/13 08:59 PM, Corbetto wrote: smh at edm artists who think they are going to make a career out of their music.
The music industry is incredibly unfair, just make music for fun and as a hobby like i do.

The music industry is a fun hobby until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious.

It really is a scary place out there... geez. I'm kinda happy orchestral isn't really something that can be signed with most labels.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 22:32:45 Reply

At 2/19/13 10:22 PM, samulis wrote:
The music industry is a fun hobby until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious.

It really is a scary place out there... geez. I'm kinda happy orchestral isn't really something that can be signed with most labels.

:V but no one cares about orchestra because everyone goes for wub wub already. So it leaves you be broke.

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-19 23:14:25 Reply

At 2/19/13 08:59 PM, Corbetto wrote: I am a yellow-bellied cumface wickerwacker

Or do what I did and get a job from someone who'll pay you to do what you do?
Learn mixing or sound design or something, lots of job opportunities, without the wishy-washiness of performing jobs.

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-20 01:24:59 Reply

At 2/19/13 11:14 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote:
Learn mixing or sound design or something, lots of job opportunities

i lold

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-20 02:16:38 Reply

Get my name tattooed on at least 1,000 hookers, and you have yourself a deal.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-21 14:58:08 Reply

At 2/19/13 10:32 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
V but no one cares about orchestra because everyone goes for wub wub already. So it leaves you be broke.

That's what film/game scoring and house painting are for, mate.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
Rhoder
Rhoder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-21 15:11:03 Reply

very informative, thanks.

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Want to get signed? Read this. 2013-02-22 10:00:20 Reply

My thoughts on this are pretty clear cut. Everyone wants to be a rock star. That is what I say. Glits and Glam, never fail to bring everyone out of the woodwork. I don't mean to say that none of them deserve a shot, but what you must remember is that business is a cruel thing. It involves no emotion. It is about the end product, and how someone will make money off of it. It is about how well of a promoter, and advertiser you are as a person, not as a musician. So why do you need a label? O.o

Listen, having a label these days is almost as easy as becoming an ordained baptist minister. You take a couple of courses, you pay a few bucks, and your print out your white collar from a color printer. Anyone can start a label, and anyone can ruin a label. In my humble opinion to make it "BIG" in the industry you have to spend money in the industry, and I mean A LOT of money. Because the market is so saturated, you have no guarantee what so ever that you will have a return on investment. There are so many great musicians out there that never got heard, because the business demanded more scratch than what they had. Unfortunately those that took their place in my opinion were most of the time much less talented. The music suffered because of money. Wonderful yes?

Making it big? Fuck that, my advice it to make it small. If you want to make money and have fun at this, than you are going to probably make a better return by being your own boss, and booking your own shows. Even if it isn't "glamorous". Man... I tell ya, there are so many people that fall into that whole "I know it is a hard industry, but I am special." thing. The thing is the people that say about themselves are right on both accounts, but the industry just doesn't give a blue fuck. Businessmen will smile in your face, invite you to thanksgiving dinner, let you play softball with their kids, and as soon as you aren't a money maker for them, you are left on the street with a cardboard box to eat your can of beans out of, and you will do it alone.

I really don't understand why good musicians need those people anyway. Why do they get a cut of your deal? I mean, they have no talent, they aren't busting their ass, and the ones that have talent as businessmen don't need you anymore. They have already made their dough. Go out there, and promote yourself, make friends along the way. Word to mouth advertising is the best form of advertising, and if you leave a good impression, put on a good show, and you are talented, you will find work, and people will flock to you. That is the way the music industry SHOULD be. Now we have people being put in panties half naked, drinking cans of Pepsi to make more.. ah fuck it.. I am not going to let myself get pissed about it man. You know what I am talking about though. It isn't about the music anymore, it is about how much money someone can make off of it.

Bottom line: Business cheapens art. Don't let it. You have to decide what is more important to you. Don't be swindled by this bullshit label stuff, and make your own way. Work for it, and you will deserve what you get. You will get out of it, what you put into it. Don't forget your friends, and treat people well, and be kind. Be yourself, and be genuine. Because no matter what it is you decide to do for a living, those fundamentals will never let you down. If you find a label that believes in the same fundamentals, then my friend, they will do everything FOR you. Don't be fooled by a dog a pony show. I would also move to a more centered metropolitan area if you are not in one already.

Thank you for reading, and I hope my response helps you in some way.

Later,

~J