bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 19:18:58 Reply

Hello people of the audio forum. I come to you for opinions on a subject that I figure you may have more insight into than I.
I'm a voice actor, been doing it for a few years as a hobby. Nothing significant like the big name guys, but I enjoy doing it here and there and am always welcoming to those who approach me for a role.
Up until now, I've been using a Logitech headset. It's just a gaming headset with a built in mic, but it's been sufficient so far, especially since it does have a noise cancelling microphone which helps to eliminate background noise if there happens to be any. However, because it's a headset mic, it is limiting with certain elements, such as the lack of being able to suppress pops and eliminate harsh letter sounds, as well as having to control the volume and pitch of my voice when recording. Sure, I can clean a great deal of it up with Audacity, but I think that it's now time to look into getting a proper microphone.
Unfortunately, when perusing the NG wiki on voice acting, the microphones it lists are via Amazon.com which doesn't ship to Canada, and when searching Amazon.ca, the prices are drastically higher. However, I think I may have found some other USB microphones that would be suitable, but I'm just unsure as to which one to get.
This is where you guys come in. If you have any knowledge about either, I would love to hear your opinion on the matter, hear a bit of feedback. I'm currently looking at two microphones, an ATR2500 and a Samson Meteor. If you have any knowledge about either product, I would love it if you would share it.
Note: I will be buying a Nady pop filter as well, it would be silly not to.

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 19:22:43 Reply

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1332664

:)

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 19:58:17 Reply

At 2/14/13 07:22 PM, wandschrank wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1332664

)

Yes this.
However for your needs, I would suggest a Blue microphone.
Blue Nessie, specifically.
Blue Nessie has an internal Pop filter (of decent quality) and an internal shockmount. It sits on the desk, connects with USB, and does basic audio processing within itself, if you want it to.
The only thing to be concerned about is that your voice might be alittle too high quality and sound awkward next to other's voices.

Not to worry, because you can turn the internal processing off and it goes back to being an average mic.

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 20:01:40 Reply

Are you aware of the fact the ATR2500 is a dynamic microphone and the Samson Meteor is a condensor microphone? There's a significant difference, so be sure of what you want or need.

If you buy the ATR2500 you can not use the pop filter. Dynamic mics are build for close range. Instead you should put a think layer of foam around the mic to prevent popping. ((Old) socks will do just as well) The advantage of recording at close range is you record little to nothing of the environment sound, which is ideal for on stage or at home. I see a lot of people who use a condensor microphone at home because they think their home situation is as ideal a studio which it isn't. A living room or bedroom hasn't got the right acoustics, because of paralel walls. Also there are a lot of noises eg from a computer, heating, traffic or wheather outside, neighbours etc. Often a dynamic microphone is better for home use.

A condensor mic should be used at longer range. If you work in a sound-proof environment with correct accousitcs this is ideal. Because of the longer distance this mic suffers less from pops so you don't need the foam (or socks). If you place the mic in the right angle you won't even need a pop filter. All in all a condensor mic gives you more natural sounding less deformed recordings. The longer range also allows you te record resonance of the chest or head of the speaker which gives a more natural and characteristic sound. A condensor mic aslo picks up more of the room reverb, but beware this may not always be desired. A condensor mic records more of the environment sounds so it's usually not ideal for home use, though there are several ways to counter this, like placing the mic in a soundproof casing.

Before you buy a pop filter you may want to try your microphone to see if you really need it. Also you can create your own pop filters for little to no money.

Also you're looking for a usb mic. That's the cheapest option. But also consider XLR mics, which are more versitile. You'll have to plug it into an audio interface you have to connenct to your computer. All in all it's more expensive, but a nice investment if you want to expand.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 20:35:56 Reply

At 2/14/13 08:01 PM, SourJovis wrote: Also you're looking for a usb mic. That's the cheapest option. But also consider XLR mics, which are more versitile. You'll have to plug it into an audio interface you have to connenct to your computer. All in all it's more expensive, but a nice investment if you want to expand.

Wow, that was really insightful. I did not know any of that. Judging from what you've said, the ATR sounds like the better choice, since this is for home use.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 20:52:11 Reply

At 2/14/13 07:58 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote: However for your needs, I would suggest a Blue microphone.
Blue Nessie, specifically.
Blue Nessie has an internal Pop filter (of decent quality) and an internal shockmount. It sits on the desk, connects with USB, and does basic audio processing within itself, if you want it to.
The only thing to be concerned about is that your voice might be alittle too high quality and sound awkward next to other's voices.
Not to worry, because you can turn the internal processing off and it goes back to being an average mic.

A Blue Nessie? I've never heard of it before. I have heard of the Snowball, but not this.
I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase that however.

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 20:55:35 Reply

At 2/14/13 08:52 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: A Blue Nessie? I've never heard of it before. I have heard of the Snowball, but not this.
I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase that however.
"There has been no release date announced yet for Nessie,"

Shouldn't be long, and unless you're in a hurry, it's going to be the greatest mic for voice-actors ever.
Blue has neva let me down.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 20:58:31 Reply

At 2/14/13 08:55 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote:
"There has been no release date announced yet for Nessie,"
Shouldn't be long, and unless you're in a hurry, it's going to be the greatest mic for voice-actors ever.
Blue has neva let me down.

Oooh, sounds exciting.
You've got me all giddy now :3

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 21:11:29 Reply

At 2/14/13 08:35 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Wow, that was really insightful. I did not know any of that. Judging from what you've said, the ATR sounds like the better choice, since this is for home use.

I think so. But don't rely my word alone. Look for "condenser vs dynamic" on youtube and google find more information about the differences between the two. Also try to talk to some of the professionals.

About the Blue Nessie. It looks and sounds good. Keep in mind that it does a lot of the processing for you. This isn't a bad thing since audio processing greatly enhances your audio quality, and you always have to process your vocals sooner or later. If you're working with multiple voice actors this can create a problem, because you'll want a more neutral sound, so all vocals can be processed in the same way so they better fit together.

BBS Signature
Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 21:17:16 Reply

At 2/14/13 09:11 PM, SourJovis wrote: If you're working with multiple voice actors this can create a problem, because you'll want a more neutral sound, so all vocals can be processed in the same way so they better fit together.

Fortunately, Blue took this into consideration. There's a switch directly on the mic that turns processing off.
That way, his voice demos can sound big and powerful and present, while still being able to provide a completely dry audio if the project has a dedicated sound engineer.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 21:23:12 Reply

At 2/14/13 09:17 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote:
At 2/14/13 09:11 PM, SourJovis wrote: If you're working with multiple voice actors this can create a problem, because you'll want a more neutral sound, so all vocals can be processed in the same way so they better fit together.
Fortunately, Blue took this into consideration. There's a switch directly on the mic that turns processing off.
That way, his voice demos can sound big and powerful and present, while still being able to provide a completely dry audio if the project has a dedicated sound engineer.

You guys are amazing, I can't believe I didn't come here asking sooner.
I really appreciate everything you've informed me about these mics.
I think I'm going to hold out and wait for the Nessie, it sounds awesome!

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 21:40:34 Reply

At 2/14/13 09:17 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote: Fortunately, Blue took this into consideration. There's a switch directly on the mic that turns processing off.

Okay sounds good. Maybe I'll buy one myself.

BBS Signature
Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 21:43:20 Reply

At 2/14/13 09:23 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: You guys are amazing, I can't believe I didn't come here asking sooner.
I really appreciate everything you've informed me about these mics.
I think I'm going to hold out and wait for the Nessie, it sounds awesome!

Absolutely. The only thing that I will warn you about, is that Blue is infamous for announcing crazy prices right before launching products. It might be a $800 mic, we don't know yet.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 21:49:16 Reply

At 2/14/13 09:43 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote: Absolutely. The only thing that I will warn you about, is that Blue is infamous for announcing crazy prices right before launching products. It might be a $800 mic, we don't know yet.

All the pre-release reviews say it's going to be $100.... But I guess we'll have to wait and see :3

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Which Microphone? 2013-02-14 21:54:32 Reply

At 2/14/13 09:49 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 2/14/13 09:43 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote: Absolutely. The only thing that I will warn you about, is that Blue is infamous for announcing crazy prices right before launching products. It might be a $800 mic, we don't know yet.
All the pre-release reviews say it's going to be $100.... But I guess we'll have to wait and see :3

Well, I guess I'm behind on my research then!
I hope it works out great for you. c:

BBS Signature