Be a Supporter!

People who weren't really heroes?

  • 1,473 Views
  • 57 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
vannila-guerilla
vannila-guerilla
  • Member since: Aug. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 10:35 PM Reply

All this Chris Dorner stuff had me thinking(this isn't a Chris Dorner thread), this guy is not a hero. He has done nothing heroic. People are just connecting his life to the lives of people they see in action movies. Romantic renegades that fight on the side of justices.

Anyways, before I start turning this into a Chris Dorner thread(I swear, I'm not trying to turn this into one), who else can you guys think of that you believe isn't a hero, but society thinks or thought they were?

I can think of a lot of people. Even politicians. Andrew Jackson, for example. Of course, I don't need to explain why.


Be Billy's FriendlBe Billy's Followerl Wii U name: Billy_Martin

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 10:36 PM Reply

Who now?


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 10:37 PM Reply

andrew jackson was a great hero

are you native american or a pussy or something


letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
vannila-guerilla
vannila-guerilla
  • Member since: Aug. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 10:44 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 10:37 PM, Sekhem wrote: andrew jackson was a great hero

are you native american or a pussy or something

First one, then the other.

Actually, American General Haratio Gates wasn't a hero, either. He took credit for Benedict Arnold's decisions that won the Battle of Saratoga. Yet, even until today Gates gets credit(that is the actual reason Arnold turned on the US. Bitterness from Gate's taking the credit for his victory).


Be Billy's FriendlBe Billy's Followerl Wii U name: Billy_Martin

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 10:44 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Actually, American General Haratio Gates wasn't a hero, either. He took credit for Benedict Arnold's decisions that won the Battle of Saratoga. Yet, even until today Gates gets credit(that is the actual reason Arnold turned on the US. Bitterness from Gate's taking the credit for his victory).

do you consider james k polk a hero


letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 11:08 PM Reply

Guy Fawkes.

Although most people probably don't really know who he is. They just saw the mask in V for Vendetta and thought it was really cool.

NG420PRO
NG420PRO
  • Member since: May. 13, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 11:14 PM Reply

Jesus Christ. He was really just a douchebag high on mushrooms.


BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Member since: Nov. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 11:31 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 10:50 PM, Sekhem wrote:
do you consider james k polk a hero

Hell yes.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 11:41 PM Reply

Gandhi, seriously.

Knights
Knights
  • Member since: May. 29, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Filmmaker
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 11:44 PM Reply

You know who wasn't really a hero? William Tecumseh Sherman. His march to the sea was very barbaric and while I am grateful that the North won the war, we didn't really need to use guerrilla style warfare.

Also, Grant was a prick.


I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.
AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 11:50 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 11:08 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Guy Fawkes.

Although most people probably don't really know who he is. They just saw the mask in V for Vendetta and thought it was really cool.

Yeah, it seems he was more like a terrorist than a hero. Trying to blow up a building full of people isn't very heroic.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Ketchemonia
Ketchemonia
  • Member since: May. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Gamer
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 12:05 AM Reply

Don't you know there are no more heroes.

I'd go with Louis Riel. This man was pure lunacy. You know he had forty man nearly killed in his name against the entire Canadian Army. Just so that Metis people could have a say, like wtf did coloured people have a say, no, did Chinese people have a say, no. They just worked harder to make a living and a future for their generation to come. The metis didn't they just complained that "their" land was being taken away. Yeah right since when did they have any claim, seen when did anyone. As much as I respect god, his under-kings were douchebags who nearly got my entire race nearly extinct through famine, war, and disease.

I'd go with Colonel Custer, this man had serious issues same with his troops that were under his command. Fucking republican bastards how could they commit genocide at such a high rate and be crowned heroes for it. I'm glad they were butchered.


signature by moquaga

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 12:28 AM Reply

At 2/13/13 11:16 PM, Ma1achi wrote: the military

America


BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 12:59 AM Reply

Any musician, actor, and sports star is usually just a douchebag, but people look up to them.

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:06 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:02 AM, Ma1achi wrote:
At 2/14/13 12:59 AM, Stereocrisis wrote: Any musician, actor, and sports star is usually just a douchebag, but people look up to them.
Stereo you finally made a good post.

A compliment for once instead of some negative response? You are on your way too making better posts as well!

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:10 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 12:59 AM, Stereocrisis wrote: Any musician, actor, and sports star is usually just a douchebag, but people look up to them.

Where are you getting your information from?


BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:12 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:10 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/14/13 12:59 AM, Stereocrisis wrote: Any musician, actor, and sports star is usually just a douchebag, but people look up to them.
Where are you getting your information from?

I too would like to know this.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:35 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:12 AM, Viper50 wrote:
At 2/14/13 01:10 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/14/13 12:59 AM, Stereocrisis wrote: Any musician, actor, and sports star is usually just a douchebag, but people look up to them.
Where are you getting your information from?
I too would like to know this.

I should clarify this. (Oh no! You might have to read a wall of text, thus making anything I say a "cool story bro!")

Musicians, actors, and sports stars are legitimately in it for themselves. They have no shame in plugging whatever thing it is that will make them the most money, and if it means selling out beliefs, what is a belief really? An idea based on some limited level morale he or she has once followed, and since realized that reality is paper dollars. It's a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours world we live in. Who in their right mind wouldn't sell out?

At the same time, these people are looked at as heroes. Even the most distinguished person in whichever respected artistic career sells out. Actors. Robert Deniro phones it in. Musicians phone it in.

It's not really a put down for me to say this. They get so big and so high in demand after years of worrying that their vision, their craft might not pay the bills, (dreamers often realize that dreams are just dreams.) that when they do get known, they sell out. It's not low. I don't see people who make it big as low, even if they are doing a commercial for a brand that they hate. Bills are a real thing. This is the real world. Morals go out the window if your worried you might have to live on the streets. I would sell out too.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Artist
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:42 AM Reply

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:44 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:35 AM, Stereocrisis wrote: Musicians, actors, and sports stars are legitimately in it for themselves. They have no shame in plugging whatever thing it is that will make them the most money, and if it means selling out beliefs, what is a belief really? An idea based on some limited level morale he or she has once followed, and since realized that reality is paper dollars. It's a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours world we live in. Who in their right mind wouldn't sell out?

You don't listen to much music, do you? Of course not.

(Oh no! You might have to read a wall of text, thus making anything I say a "cool story bro!")

People on this website are such faggots. Why do you care at all?


BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:46 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:42 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Well said. Terrorists are most commonly freedom fighters. They are called terrorists and extremists, but anyone with a backbone is going to fight back if a foreign government decides to murder their leaders today, and try to start a "democracy" in their land. Yeah, democracy is a nice safe, fancy word. Another word for raping a country for it's resources, and killing all who stand in the way of making more money, and gaining more power.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:51 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:46 AM, Stereocrisis wrote:
At 2/14/13 01:42 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
Well said. Terrorists are most commonly freedom fighters. They are called terrorists and extremists, but anyone with a backbone is going to fight back if a foreign government decides to murder their leaders today, and try to start a "democracy" in their land. Yeah, democracy is a nice safe, fancy word. Another word for raping a country for it's resources, and killing all who stand in the way of making more money, and gaining more power.

What about a country that has openly stated the desire to destroy another country? Do they still have back bone then?

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:54 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:44 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 2/14/13 01:35 AM, Stereocrisis wrote: Musicians, actors, and sports stars are legitimately in it for themselves. They have no shame in plugging whatever thing it is that will make them the most money, and if it means selling out beliefs, what is a belief really? An idea based on some limited level morale he or she has once followed, and since realized that reality is paper dollars. It's a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours world we live in. Who in their right mind wouldn't sell out?
You don't listen to much music, do you? Of course not.

Is that suppose to mean something to me? Is the music, (or the amount of music) you listen to supposed to be better and surpass my knowledge? Well, we're all really impressed dude. In fact, you should just school us all. Please, post some links. Make the links as pretentious as possible. Remember, that's how we can all tell how smart you are.

(Oh no! You might have to read a wall of text, thus making anything I say a "cool story bro!")
People on this website are such faggots. Why do you care at all?

Yet you hang out here on a daily basis... Sounds like you want to talk to the homosexual community anyway, just to see what makes them tick?

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:59 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:51 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 2/14/13 01:46 AM, Stereocrisis wrote:
At 2/14/13 01:42 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
Well said. Terrorists are most commonly freedom fighters. They are called terrorists and extremists, but anyone with a backbone is going to fight back if a foreign government decides to murder their leaders today, and try to start a "democracy" in their land. Yeah, democracy is a nice safe, fancy word. Another word for raping a country for it's resources, and killing all who stand in the way of making more money, and gaining more power.
What about a country that has openly stated the desire to destroy another country? Do they still have back bone then?

The way I see it, whoever started the shit is the asshole. When a "country" desires to destroy another country, it is all to often not the voice of the people calling for a war. It's a government. What a government wants is rarely what the people want. Let's say the people do want it. So what? It doesn't really take that much propaganda to turn the people of a country against another country for no real reason other than they said that that country was bad on TV. America does this all the time. We still see it today.

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 03:03 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:35 AM, Stereocrisis wrote:
Musicians, actors, and sports stars are legitimately in it for themselves. They have no shame in plugging whatever thing it is that will make them the most money, and if it means selling out beliefs, what is a belief really? An idea based on some limited level morale he or she has once followed, and since realized that reality is paper dollars. It's a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours world we live in. Who in their right mind wouldn't sell out?

I think you have a slight misconception on what "selling out" actually means. People don't use it in the context of someone betraying their beliefs for money, the term is applied whenever an artist merely makes money directly from their vision; it's meant to imply that simply using your vision as a catalyst for producing money immediately compromises the vision itself and thus challenges the substantiality of the content because by selling copies of it or the content itself it means you don't hold it in a respect of being precious as you gave it away in trade, therefore if the author doesn't value it as being priceless then why should the audience value it at all?

It's fucking retarded because the preferred alternative is that the author give it away to their audience for free, which by the same logic they apply to the concept of selling the content for money, giving it away for free shows that the author doesn't value it at a price but rather values it as nothing; nothing that's worth protecting or preserving or even owning. To be an author who maintains this position is a half step up from calling their content generic, because anyone can have it and anyone can use it and because of that it's nothing special.

The irony of it all is that the logic is based around the premise that the author is selfish because the audience is entitled to experience the content just as well as the author is despite them never contributing to the content's creation. People who maintain this frame of logic also maintain the mentality that content that is merely found, not created or conceived, thus it's selfish to not give it to whoever asks for a slice even if it means the author inadvertently becomes deprived of their cut by the end of it.

By their own logic the author can never maintain the status of being an artist because they view the content they make as being inherently public domain rather than as a catalyst of self expression, yet they call people who give their content away for free 'real artists' because they serve the audience's self serving bias.

It's not a frame of logic that should be given affirmation with "You'd do it too and so would I", it should be rejected in it's entirety because it's fucking retarded.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 03:44 AM Reply

At 2/13/13 10:35 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: who else can you guys think of that you believe isn't a hero, but society thinks or thought they were?

Soldiers, people in the government, Chuck Norris...

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 03:56 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 03:17 AM, Ma1achi wrote:
At 2/14/13 03:03 AM, Psychopath wrote:
At 2/14/13 01:35 AM, Stereocrisis wrote:
This is derailing the whole point. The point was musicians and what have you are duschebags/assholes.

In which case you're wrong to rebuke me because he was defending the behavior, not critiquing it.

If you actually had experience with BEING AROUND OTHER MUSICIANS instead of just listening to their awesome music you would realize Stereo is on point.

Implying that you have, in fact, personal experience with famous musicians.

Tell me more.

People who weren't really heroes?

JBK
JBK
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Gamer
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 07:34 AM Reply

Malcom X


"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 08:48 AM Reply

Fuck anybody and everybody who said the military. I think that nelson Mandela isn't a hero, he's a terrorist.


MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to People who weren't really heroes? Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 11:16 AM Reply

the military