New Topic Respond to this Topic
Elephly
Elephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:04 PM Reply

To my surprise and maybe yours as well, my least favourite class is Game Design. This is kind of hard for me to say, since it is my major... But I just don't like the lectures, the assignments, anything. Prof is a nice enough guy though...

Anyways, I just had to design a board game, and I just hated every minute of it. I made 3 games and scrapped the first two cause they were shit. I'm so glad it's over, and because it's over, I ask you: what kind of board game would you make? I'm apparently shit at making board games, so I really wanted to ask for help while I was doing the assignment, but didn't want to cheat.

TL;DR

Gimme your best board game ideas, go nuts.

for this assignment card games count as board games too.

| New song | Steam |

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:06 PM Reply

change your major

if that's hard for you, i'd hate to see how you would deal with my classes

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Reader
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:08 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 02:04 PM, Elephly wrote: To my surprise and maybe yours as well, my least favourite class is Game Design. This is kind of hard for me to say, since it is my major... But I just don't like the lectures, the assignments, anything.

Then, why are you taking it? Can't you take something else?

Stretch those glutes, Flitter!
"You are a generally happy and carefree person." - Sectus
"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:08 PM Reply

A game where you move around the board, slowly building an elaborate Rube Goldberg-style device that will eventually catch a mouse in a cup.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
Elephly
Elephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:09 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 02:06 PM, Sekhem wrote: change your major

if that's hard for you, i'd hate to see how you would deal with my classes

Lol, but I'm good at programming and videogame development/design. It's just this shitty theory and board game crap that I dislike. I'm also a perfectionist (sort of), which is why I made 3 before deciding it was good enough to hand in.

| New song | Steam |

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:12 PM Reply

For a game idea you can just take an existing concept and add your own twists to it. That's really the best way to come up with an idea if you are completely stumped.

Good luck :P

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:13 PM Reply

I'd go with one of those VHS tape assisted boardgames, the like of Atmosfear these games were always very fun to have it timed with the VHS tape and it giving commands as the game goes on. Obviously with a DVD now though instead and multiple recordings to make it more randomized.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Elephly
Elephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:13 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 02:12 PM, Zachary wrote: For a game idea you can just take an existing concept and add your own twists to it. That's really the best way to come up with an idea if you are completely stumped.

Good luck :P

I know what you're saying, but I was really afraid of the teacher coming down on me for lack of originality.

| New song | Steam |

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:15 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 02:14 PM, Scary wrote: traditional games > video games

what's your favorite pen n paper/card/board game, scary

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Elephly
Elephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:15 PM Reply

Nah, I only like chess and Magic: The Gathering (may be forgetting something). Besides that, I think video games wins.

| New song | Steam |

BBS Signature
Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 02:04 PM, Elephly wrote: I really wanted to ask for help while I was doing the assignment, but didn't want to cheat.

Haaaah, not buying it.

Do your own homework!

BBS Signature
SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:38 PM Reply

There would be huge board which would represent a town. There would also be at least two players and a special player. The players have the role of a private eye, they solve various cases. Every player starts with a certain amount of money. They can spend money for sabotaging other players, or use some services inside the city ,e.g the train which takes the player at every turn at the next station or the taxi which takes one turn to get you on the place you want but costs much, get out of trouble or buy other stuff. Money can be earned by getting a special card and solving a case. The special player is responsible for coming up with a case, place the witnesses,which the players should later visit, at every spot he wants and play the witness and have a dialogue with the players. Also, he should change the special cards' spots every 5 turns and every time a case is solved. The game will be played with a dice and the main goal is for a private eye to gain a certain number of popularity, which is gained by solving cases and reduced by sabotaging players.
I just came up with this so it may sound messed up but at least I tried.

"I felt like an avenging angel, what I looked like was a fat bald guy with a bad temper." - Max Payne
Dean is a winner Also, stop whining for the chat and go check this out ▾▾

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 02:38 PM Reply

I love making board games. I've made hundreds, maybe... when I was little. Most of them aren't any new concepts though, pretty much monopoly clones with different locations, or different planets, or countries instead of cities, or parralel dimensions, or Pokemon instead of Places... all kinds of combinations. I haven't started mass-production yet though, each one is a single exclusive copy. :/

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 03:03 PM Reply

Not sure if I could come up with anything too good myself, but I can describe a few things I like and don't like in board games:

Make sure the game is as little luck based as possible. It's always funny to see someone get screwed over, but nothing is lamer than a game where winning or losing depends (almost) entirely on how well you role the dice. You might as well go flip coins.

Games that require strategic planning and thinking are usually much better. They tend to be a lot more immersive, more challenging and it gives players a lot of satisfaction to see their plan going well (which adds to the fun). Don't make the game too complex though. If you need to add a 50 page manual just to explain everything people might get turned off before they even start.

Make sure the game isn't too long and make sure everyone at the table gets involved enough. I've played some games that took more than 3 hours and where you get your turn like once every 20 minutes. It won't take long before people get bored and start walking away to do other things. One hour tends to be about as long as people would like to play and consider adding a trading phase after every turn or something (if people's turns may take long).

Preferably make it playable for 2 to 6 players or something. It's always a bit annoying if a game requires exactly four people because often you're not with four people. Even if you are, there's often someone who'd rather play something else or doesn't really feel like playing and that just sucks.

Lastly, I would suggest you just go out and play/look at as many different board games as you can just to gather ideas.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 02:15 PM, Sekhem wrote:
what's your favorite pen n paper/card/board game, scary

Magic The Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer 40,000, ETC.

Elephly
Elephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 03:41 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 03:35 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Magic The Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer 40,000, ETC.

Anybody play Mage Knight? Like before it became Heroclix or whatever the fuck. I used to love that game.

| New song | Steam |

BBS Signature
Elephly
Elephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 05:04 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 04:17 PM, Ma1achi wrote: If you dislike designing a board game and have much difficulty with it good luck with video game design.

Nope.

| New song | Steam |

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 05:06 PM Reply

You should focus more on general computer science classes than game design, I heard you're prone to a wide array of computer-related jobs including game programming than if you just take game design.

BBS Signature
Elephly
Elephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 05:10 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 05:06 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: You should focus more on general computer science classes than game design, I heard you're prone to a wide array of computer-related jobs including game programming than if you just take game design.

Nah, it's a Bachelor of computer science in the Game Development stream, so it's the exact same as any comp sci degree PLUS game development specific courses. It's like extra (maybe a tad less math though). But ya, I don't think I'll be working for game companies at least for a while once I'm out of school.

| New song | Steam |

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 05:23 PM Reply

Make a tabletop RPG, you might have fun with it.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Elephly
Elephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 06:02 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 05:52 PM, Painbringer wrote: Snakes and Ladders.

Winner.
A+ for Character Immersion
A+ for Skill Requirement
A+ for Choice Variety

| New song | Steam |

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 06:02 PM, Elephly wrote: Winner.
A+ for Character Immersion
A+ for Skill Requirement
A+ for Choice Variety

I hope you're not being sarcastic.

Can never really tell on the internets...

Elephly
Elephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 06:20 PM Reply

At 2/13/13 06:16 PM, Painbringer wrote: I hope you're not being sarcastic.

Can never really tell on the internets...

Sorry, I was being very sarcastic.
Snakes and ladders would fail me the class.
Prof used it as an example of a game that he wouldn't even call a game, since there is no skill involved, etc.

| New song | Steam |

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 06:56 PM Reply

That's bowlsheet

UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 10:13 PM Reply

Try having to make a (responsive) website, and implement a shop-like database in it, all just for a lousy 3%.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Just finished a bullshit assignment Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 10:35 PM Reply

I'd make an awesome game. The playable characters would be kids. They would have to avoid all the scary stalkers/molesters. Chance cards would involve things like candy from a van, therapy, puppies, needles, etc. It would be awesome. Kinda wanna make it now. Plenty of villains of course.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature