CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 13:20:03 Reply

At 2/14/13 12:55 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 2/14/13 12:49 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: You're right. The children in third world countries are absolutely in love with their 10 cent a day wage. What a wonderful "job" to put in place in America.
The fuck are you talking about?

I'm talking about capitalism my dear friend. It's one and only goal, profit no matter the sacrifice. A removal of the floor that is minimum wage would result in a decrease in wages across America, it might increase "jobs" as companies like Nike, Apple, Wal-mart, and so on would no longer have need of the lower paying "jobs" in third world countries to continue their rise in profits at the sacrifice of employee/human rights and benefits.

Businesses would lower wages knowing the safety social programs like social security, and medicare provide. Wal-mart, for example, already utilizes social programs to avoid costs and increase profits. Of course this increase strain would dramatically hurt the economy and eventually forcing its collapse officially putting America in a third world status.

These companies (specifically the larger bunch) would not be negatively effected as other countries jump ahead in consumption and imports. Matter of fact, China just recently over took America's 60 year reign in imports. Eventually there would be a switch in the world and America would become the exporter to China, India, and other countries in that region.

This would of course all effect my country, Canada, quite greatly. So it is to my benefit to support an increase in minimum wages in America. As I wish not to see its economic decline...or more specifically, my countries economic decline due to ideas like yours.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 13:29:59 Reply

At 2/14/13 01:20 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: I'm talking about capitalism my dear friend. It's one and only goal, profit no matter the sacrifice.

I'm gonna stop you here, because you're already wrong. That is not what capitalism is. I mean, if you're Mao, that's what you think capitalism is, but in reality, that is not even close to the mindset or goal of capitalism.

But let's go down your road for for second? What's wrong with wanting success?

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 13:33:47 Reply

At 2/14/13 02:42 AM, LemonCrush wrote: 1) The regulation, as it's been since forever, would not be equal. Too much potential for corruption there. I'd rather let employers and employees set the rules, as they're the ones participating in the transaction. A dumbass bureaucrat in DC should be able to get his smelly hands anywhere near my job or my paycheck

So you're whole basis for no regulation is on assumptions that it would lead to corruption? That simply doesn't hold water, at least not in this case. Employers set rules all the time, employees that are not protected by unions don't usually get any word. The government needs to have a hand on your job and your paycheck so they can keep the country moving.

3) Wages can't increase because they literally CAN'T increase. The economy is in shambles. If wages were able to increase, they would have. You can't FORCE the economy. You cannot force people to buy things. You cannot force people to give up part of their paycheck. You cannot force wages to increase. At least not with serious negative consequnces.

The American economy was in a surplus at the end of the 90's. Yet the wages were stagnant during that time. They didn't increase as you suggest. Letting the wages decrease would have a dramatically horrible effect on the economy, but pushing and prodding at the minimum wage and in effect the economy can only have a positive effect.

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 13:42:00 Reply

At 2/14/13 01:29 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 2/14/13 01:20 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: I'm talking about capitalism my dear friend. It's one and only goal, profit no matter the sacrifice.
I'm gonna stop you here, because you're already wrong.

cap·i·tal·ism
Noun
An economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 13:45:17 Reply

At 2/14/13 01:33 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: So you're whole basis for no regulation is on assumptions that it would lead to corruption? That simply doesn't hold water, at least not in this case. Employers set rules all the time, employees that are not protected by unions don't usually get any word. The government needs to have a hand on your job and your paycheck so they can keep the country moving.

Not "would" lead to corruption, it HAS lead to corruption. Regulation is what causes problems. The housing bubble was caused by the Community Reinvestment Act, which fined banks if they didn't give loans to people who couldn't afford them. This lead to people not paying loans, even though they just bought a house for 10% of it's actual value. The rest is history. And this is just one instance

Employers set VOLUNTARY rules, and if the employee doesn't like it for whatever reasons, they have a right to leave. You can opt out and find a job to your liking. In a unionless job market you have the ULTIMATE freedom of picking a job you like. In a union, they break your kneecaps.

I get that some taxes are necessary to keep things moving. Roads, schools, things like that are great, and I'll gladly give my a piece of what I make for those purposes, as they help the country as a whole. I just don't see what assassinating people Pakistan, or drone striking Afghani kids has to do with keeping the country moving forward.

I get that the govt. should provide some services, and are even legally allowed to do so (post office). That is not an excuse to just do whatever the fuck they want. Paying for schools. Great. Paying out $10,000 for talking urinal cakes is not so smart. The government spends WAY more than what they need to keep the country moving on things that have nothing to do with keeping the country moving.

The American economy was in a surplus at the end of the 90's. Yet the wages were stagnant during that time. They didn't increase as you suggest. Letting the wages decrease would have a dramatically horrible effect on the economy, but pushing and prodding at the minimum wage and in effect the economy can only have a positive effect.

Yeah, that surplus was built on a bubble. It wasn't real prosperity. You want to know the result of that prosperity. A housing market crash 15 years later, and the internet market crash.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 13:47:28 Reply

At 2/14/13 01:42 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: capÃ'·iÃ'·talÃ'·ism
Noun
An economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit.

And what's wrong with profit?

Are you a robot who lives on a street corner and doesn't eat? Have you never bought or used anything in your entire life? Have you ever made or sold anything? Do you even have job?

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 14:45:23 Reply

At 2/14/13 01:45 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Not "would" lead to corruption, it HAS lead to corruption. Regulation is what causes problems. The housing bubble was caused by the Community Reinvestment Act, which fined banks if they didn't give loans to people who couldn't afford them. This lead to people not paying loans, even though they just bought a house for 10% of it's actual value. The rest is history. And this is just one instance

The lack of regulation in America led to the house bubble bursting in 2008. Canada, thanks to the previous liberal government, was protected from the larger brunt thanks to bank regulation. The lack of regulation will also lead to a crash caused by either a screw up in the multi-trillion dollar dividend market and/or the student loan bubble. I advise you to watch the documentary (Inside Job) which you can find on Netflix but likely in parts on Youtube and other sites (just google it).

Employers set VOLUNTARY rules, and if the employee doesn't like it for whatever reasons, they have a right to leave. You can opt out and find a job to your liking. In a unionless job market you have the ULTIMATE freedom of picking a job you like. In a union, they break your kneecaps.

What happens when all the employers got the same horrible rules. The same set up. The same crappy wages (as they do now). You simply don't have options, you are forced to work (if you choose to live) in a mundane situation. If everyone drops the wages they provide, what options do you have? Ask someone in a third world country what options they have. Unions have turned the tide in protecting employee rights and wages. They are not only wanted but needed.

I get that some taxes are necessary to keep things moving. Roads, schools, things like that are great, and I'll gladly give my a piece of what I make for those purposes, as they help the country as a whole. I just don't see what assassinating people Pakistan, or drone striking Afghani kids has to do with keeping the country moving forward.

I get that the govt. should provide some services, and are even legally allowed to do so (post office). That is not an excuse to just do whatever the fuck they want. Paying for schools. Great. Paying out $10,000 for talking urinal cakes is not so smart. The government spends WAY more than what they need to keep the country moving on things that have nothing to do with keeping the country moving.

That's a whole other subject. Go and join a protest, like Occupy.

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 14:47:49 Reply

At 2/14/13 01:47 PM, LemonCrush wrote: And what's wrong with profit?

Are you a robot who lives on a street corner and doesn't eat? Have you never bought or used anything in your entire life? Have you ever made or sold anything? Do you even have job?

And what's wrong with financial equality? More precisely, why do you hate equal opportunity?

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 14:56:38 Reply

At 2/14/13 02:45 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: The lack of regulation in America led to the house bubble bursting in 2008.

There has been INTENSE housing market regulation since 1977

What happens when all the employers got the same horrible rules.

They don't. Or at least wouldn't if there wasn't govt. protectionism.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 14:58:12 Reply

At 2/14/13 02:47 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: And what's wrong with financial equality? More precisely, why do you hate equal opportunity?

Define financial equality?

And I've done nothing but promote equal opportunity and freedom from govt. bondage

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 15:22:33 Reply

At 2/13/13 11:41 AM, LemonCrush wrote: So that's it, right? It's clear that Obama's goal is to totally bankrupt middle class america.

I mean, I guess when you're uber-rich guy who will have everything handed to you for life, you don't give a fuck about the middle class. I wouldn't expect him to care/understand, as corporate shills have infinite supplies of cash.

But realistically, first a law that jacks up the price of health insurance, and you're required to buy it. Then an extra $100/month stolen from paychecks, and now a proposal to raise costs of labor (and goods) in an economy that's pretty much continuously un- or underemployed already.

What the fuck is this guys deal?

You base your politics off of partisan talking points. This is not me approaching you as a lib, cuz I'm not. This is me approaching you as someone with common sense who is telling you to stop drinking the kool aid and posting here cuz it's annoying as balls.

Please, dude, once there's EVIDENCE that Obamacare drives up the cost of healthcare, POST IT. Otherwise quit parroting Hannity.

2nd, the payroll tax you're absolutely right about, but I bet you wouldn't even have noticed if friggin O'Reilly hadn't pointed it out to ya. Not like you have a JOB.

Third, how in the FREAK does raising the minimum wage hurt the middle class, goof? People are going outside the country anyway! You don't HAVE to hire in the States!

Geez! Get numbers and quit parroting people who get paid millions to shirk a viewpoint. GAAA!

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 15:38:15 Reply

At 2/14/13 03:22 PM, Poniiboi wrote: You base your politics off of partisan talking points.

Partisan in the sense of the American people vs. tyrannical govt. Yes.

Please, dude, once there's EVIDENCE that Obamacare drives up the cost of healthcare, POST IT. Otherwise quit parroting Hannity.

Liberal Forbes magazine agrees

Also, it's common sense. Obamacare outlaws cheaper plans (because it forces more things to be covered). This means only the most expensive plans/coverage will be available.

2nd, the payroll tax you're absolutely right about, but I bet you wouldn't even have noticed if friggin O'Reilly hadn't pointed it out to ya. Not like you have a JOB.

How about you fuck yourself before you call me a Fox News viewer, you piece of human shit.

Third, how in the FREAK does raising the minimum wage hurt the middle class, goof? People are going outside the country anyway! You don't HAVE to hire in the States!

Because it drives the costs of good up, and hurts small business who probably can't afford $9/hr, especially after the manditory insurance they'll have to provide/pay for.

Geez! Get numbers and quit parroting people who get paid millions to shirk a viewpoint. GAAA!

Where's your numbers?

Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 15:51:26 Reply

At 2/14/13 12:05 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
I of all people? Why's that?

It's either you or leanlifter that bitches about inflation ad nauseum.

This unemployment is worse than the depression right now.

Lol blowing things way out of proportion now aren't we?

:Raising prices on labor WILL NOT fix the situation. As usual, Obama sees only one side of an issue, which is the side that helps his agenda. He does not see the negative consequences of his actions, or if he does, he just doesn't give a fuck

Obama ran for office in 2008 with the platform of bipartisanship. For four years he tried and that didn't work, Republicans just kept moving the goalposts. Now they've missed the boat what can I say, Obama is going all out with his executive authority now, sick of a stagnent, immature congress no doubt.

There is a REASON the wages have stayed the same, and it's because the economy is stunted and won't allow it to go anywhere.

Average national wages change with fluctuating employment levels, minimum wage changes through Federal action, mainly in response to inflation.

Wages, prices, etc. are set by the market, not govt. When the govt. set's prices, it ends disastrously. Or have you not been paying attention to the economy the past few years?

Wages are set by employers rofl, not the market. An employer has no incentive to raise wages, especially in a dull economy, when there is no competition among other employers who are looking to hirer employees. That is one reason why we have anti-trust and minimum wage laws.

And when you don't have the government behaving in an anti-trust fashion you end up with one or a few large companies setting the prices!

Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 16:15:47 Reply

At 2/14/13 12:09 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
Also, the reason $7.50 can't support a single individual is because the govt puts price controls on food, housing, insurance, and transportation, not to mention the money itself, in the first place.

All of these price regulations vary by state! Most of all of them are price ceilings, in order to keep your food cheaper wow!! There is a price ceiling on milk, any milk that isn't bought and spoils the government will offer to buy in exchange for placing a price ceiling on milk! Price ceilings are set on certain types of insurance in order that you may be able to afford insurance in the first place!

All of these regulations you're bitching about are in place so that you can afford the cost of living and prevent you from being taken advantage of by corporations you fucking ingrate! The reason $7.25/hr can't support an individual is that inflation over has made it impossible, the legislation is lagging behind the economy and Republican lobbyists for large corporations are responsible!

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 16:28:51 Reply

At 2/14/13 03:51 PM, Saen wrote: It's either you or leanlifter that bitches about inflation ad nauseum.

Exactly. That's why I'm against govt. price fixing, as it tend to contribute to the problem

Lol blowing things way out of proportion now aren't we?

No?

Obama ran for office in 2008 with the platform of bipartisanship. For four years he tried and that didn't work, Republicans just kept moving the goalposts. Now they've missed the boat what can I say, Obama is going all out with his executive authority now, sick of a stagnent, immature congress no doubt.

Oh, so it's the old "Not my fault card". Guess what bro, he's President. He's in charge. This is his problem. There have been many politicians who had opposing Congresses and didn't seem to have a problem. Obama just sucks THAT much.

Average national wages change with fluctuating employment levels, minimum wage changes through Federal action, mainly in response to inflation.

Meanwhile causing more inflation. It's cyclical.

Wages are set by employers rofl, not the market. An employer has no incentive to raise wages, especially in a dull economy, when there is no competition among other employers who are looking to hirer employees. That is one reason why we have anti-trust and minimum wage laws.

Employers are the market, retard. An employer has every incentive in the world to raise wages.

And when you don't have the government behaving in an anti-trust fashion you end up with one or a few large companies setting the prices!

No, we have that now BECAUSE of the type of legislation you're talking about.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 16:34:14 Reply

At 2/14/13 04:15 PM, Saen wrote: All of these price regulations vary by state! Most of all of them are price ceilings, in order to keep your food cheaper wow!! There is a price ceiling on milk, any milk that isn't bought and spoils the government will offer to buy in exchange for placing a price ceiling on milk! Price ceilings are set on certain types of insurance in order that you may be able to afford insurance in the first place!

That unnecessary. Guess what, if something is too expensive, PEOPLE DON'T BUY IT. That's your price cap. No need for government to implement one, price caps are inherent in basic economics.

If my farm sold milk for $100/gallon, would you buy it?

All of these regulations you're bitching about are in place so that you can afford the cost of living and prevent you from being taken advantage of by corporations you fucking ingrate! The reason $7.25/hr can't support an individual is that inflation over has made it impossible, the legislation is lagging behind the economy and Republican lobbyists for large corporations are responsible!

So, so, wrong, dear child.

The govt. regulations are what causes the level of inflation we have in the first place. Cost of living is higher than it needs to be, because the government price fixes or protects price fixing on everything from housing, to gasoline, to food.

BTW, I am an intelligent human being. No corporation will take advantage of me, because I'm not a retard who needs the government (who can't even keep themselves going) to make my choices for me! Now, I understand YOU might be lacking IQ points here, so you may actually need a government babysitter to change your diapers for you, and tell you how to spend your money, and make sure you have a job despite having no desirable skills, and tell you what you need, what you can have, etc.

I don't, nor do most Americans.

Chazz
Chazz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 17:07:35 Reply

As a Brit it's nice to get a view of American politics from time to time, as your decisions ultimately effect us in the long run.

I was working in a Game store recently, during the christmas period it got insanely busy and the amount of stuff you're required to do/remember is straneous to say the least, being paid fuck all for your work too is a pain in the ass, especially in a town like I live in, wealthy and full of expectations.

I understand raising minimum wage is a pretty poor idea in the long run, leading to inflation of everything else, businesses don't seem to grasp the idea that paying someone just that little bit more for their hard work will lead to much better results all around..

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 17:12:48 Reply

At 2/14/13 05:07 PM, Chazz wrote: I understand raising minimum wage is a pretty poor idea in the long run, leading to inflation of everything else, businesses don't seem to grasp the idea that paying someone just that little bit more for their hard work will lead to much better results all around..

Good companies understand that. Bad companies get away with it by eliminating competition, or maybe their employees don't care enough

Chazz
Chazz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 17:28:28 Reply

At 2/14/13 05:12 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
Good companies understand that. Bad companies get away with it by eliminating competition, or maybe their employees don't care enough

Myself and one other chap where I worked were actually pissed about minimum wage, but we needed the work so we kept at it, it got VERY frustrating when we were working hours and hours of over time and being complained at for taking too long and not even being paid for it. The big chains and such these days don't value their workers at all.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 17:29:43 Reply

At 2/14/13 05:28 PM, Chazz wrote:

:The big chains and such these days don't value their workers at all.

I agree totally

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 17:59:58 Reply

More money for McDonalds.

original I am.

BBS Signature
Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 19:25:02 Reply

At 2/14/13 03:38 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Liberal Forbes magazine agrees

Holy fucking shit you don't know Forbes. Forbes is pure right wing, they have articles on how Obama is a Marxist. Hell the CEO of Forbes Steve Forbes ran for Republican nomination to President twice. By comparison you're a Socialist.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 20:01:53 Reply

At 2/14/13 07:25 PM, Warforger wrote: Holy fucking shit you don't know Forbes. Forbes is pure right wing, they have articles on how Obama is a Marxist. Hell the CEO of Forbes Steve Forbes ran for Republican nomination to President twice. By comparison you're a Socialist.

Everything I've ever read in their is pretty damn statist leaning

Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 21:04:19 Reply

At 2/14/13 08:01 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Everything I've ever read in their is pretty damn statist leaning

Statist =/= Liberal =/= Left wing. Also how are they statist? Most of their articles have nothing to do with government, they're all concerned with stuff business people are concerned with.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 21:44:56 Reply

At 2/14/13 04:34 PM, LemonCrush wrote: That unnecessary. Guess what, if something is too expensive, PEOPLE DON'T BUY IT. That's your price cap. No need for government to implement one, price caps are inherent in basic economics.

Actually a price tag has shown to not be able to stop Americans from buying something. Thanks to credit cards and bank loans tied in with the little to no regulation to protect/educate consumers.

If my farm sold milk for $100/gallon, would you buy it?

No, and if all farms sold at a similar price you would be without milk. That price ceiling is there to at least try and ensure that a regular person can afford milk.

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 21:54:25 Reply

At 2/14/13 02:56 PM, LemonCrush wrote: There has been INTENSE housing market regulation since 1977

Explanation of the bubble and crisis from the award nominated and winning "Inside Job" (2010):

During the housing boom, the ratio of money borrowed by an investment bank versus the bank's own assets reached unprecedented levels. The credit default swap (CDS), was akin to an insurance policy. Speculators could buy CDSs to bet against CDOs they did not own. Numerous CDOs were backed by subprime mortgages. Goldman-Sachs sold more than $3 billion worth of CDOs in the first half of 2006. Goldman also bet against the low-value CDOs, telling investors they were high-quality. The three biggest ratings agencies contributed to the problem. AAA-rated instruments rocketed from a mere handful in 2000 to over 4,000 in 2006.

The market for CDOs collapsed and investment banks were left with hundreds of billions of dollars in loans, CDOs and real estate they could not unload. The Great Recession began in November 2007, and in March 2008, Bear Stearns ran out of cash. In September, the federal government took over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which had been on the brink of collapse. Two days later, Lehman Brothers collapsed. These entities all had AA or AAA ratings within days of being bailed out. Merrill Lynch, on the edge of collapse, was acquired by Bank of America. Henry Paulson and Timothy Geithner decided that Lehman must go into bankruptcy, which resulted in a collapse of the commercial paper market. On September 17, the insolvent AIG was taken over by the government. The next day, Paulson and Fed chairman Ben Bernanke asked Congress for $700 billion to bail out the banks. The global financial system became paralyzed. On October 3, 2008, President Bush signed the Troubled Asset Relief Program, but global stock markets continued to fall. Layoffs and foreclosures continued with unemployment rising to 10% in the U.S. and the European Union. By December 2008, GM and Chrysler also faced bankruptcy. Foreclosures in the U.S. reached unprecedented levels.

TL;DR: Banks are bad, government did shit all, banks took advantage, government continues to do little, awaiting for "free market" to fuck up again and cause another crash.

What happens when all the employers got the same horrible rules.
They don't. Or at least wouldn't if there wasn't govt. protectionism.

With or without the government businesses will copy each other as long as it means more profit. With government they are restricted to protect employees and consumers alike, without government, shit hits the fan.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 23:28:57 Reply

At 2/14/13 09:54 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: TL;DR: Banks are bad, government did shit all, banks took advantage, government continues to do little, awaiting for "free market" to fuck up again and cause another crash.

This doesn't change the fact that the housing bubble occured under stringent housing/banking regulations

With or without the government businesses will copy each other as long as it means more profit. With government they are restricted to protect employees and consumers alike, without government, shit hits the fan.

No, good companies, like small mom/pop stores, go out of their way to make sure the customers and employees are as happy as possible. Big companies, who got where they are via protectionism, don't care.

If the govt is doing so much to protect consumers, why are corporations raking in record profits? Why is there still poison in the food? Why are food prices still so high? If the govt is "protecting me" why am I not seeing any benefts of it? Why are the only ones doing okay in the economy the ones who feed Obama's pocketbook

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 23:34:17 Reply

At 2/14/13 09:44 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: Actually a price tag has shown to not be able to stop Americans from buying something. Thanks to credit cards and bank loans tied in with the little to no regulation to protect/educate consumers.

LOL. Now credit card regulation protects customers? You nanny-statists are hilarious

No, and if all farms sold at a similar price you would be without milk.

You just said price tags don't stop people from buying things though.

And furthermore, not all farms would charge that much. Because they want to make profit. You even said it yourself. And profit is impossible if people don't buy it. So they keep their prices low. The only reason a corporation can get away with robbery, is when the government eliminates competition, as we've seen in almost every industry in the world, especially food and oil/energy.

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-14 23:52:47 Reply

$9 dollars a fucking hour to flip burgers, repeat the phrase "how can I help you?" and fucking mop the floor. Yeah, that'll help the economy, help it flush itself into a sewer full of bankruptcy. Minimum wage is minimum because it requires little to no skill and thus, shouldn't get paid all that well. If you're a business, than you're not going to pay a kid to flip burgers at $9/hr, you're gonna cut your employees, make your veterans work more hours than what is reasonable and expand their duties to do both cashiering and toilet scrubbing. So now its a hell of a lot harder to find a job, those with jobs gotta work a lot harder and instead of giving full time, you're gonna have to find a couple of part timers, and they're not gonna do their job for shit. No part timer does, especially if the possibility of becoming full time is minimal.

It's just not practical to do 9 bucks an hour, not for the unskilled work it requires. I tell you one thing, its gonna get really fucking hard for Minimum wage workers now, if I'm your boss, you bet your ass I'm going to make you work for that minimum wage, if I'm paying you that much you damn well better do you're job twice as well.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to $9 minimum wage 2013-02-15 00:04:59 Reply

At 2/14/13 11:28 PM, LemonCrush wrote: This doesn't change the fact that the housing bubble occured under stringent housing/banking regulations

Doesn't change the fact that regulation would have at the very least delayed and diminished the crash if not entirely have stopped it in the first place.

No, good companies, like small mom/pop stores, go out of their way to make sure the customers and employees are as happy as possible. Big companies, who got where they are via protectionism, don't care.

And those "good companies" go out of business because the big companies destroy them by any means necessary such as fear-inducing lawsuits. The government isn't protecting big companies, they're just not pulling on the leash (implementing and enforcing regulation).

If the govt is doing so much to protect consumers, why are corporations raking in record profits? Why is there still poison in the food? Why are food prices still so high? If the govt is "protecting me" why am I not seeing any benefts of it? Why are the only ones doing okay in the economy the ones who feed Obama's pocketbook

The government isn't doing much of anything to protect consumers/employees. However a minimum wage is a way of protecting them for once.

Corporations are raking in profits because they are not being pulled in via regulation and enforcement. They are being allowed to destroy land, water, and air. They are allowed to use human right violating labor in foreign countries and sometimes locally.

Poison in food? You mean GMO? Well you should ask the uneducated why they voted against a label in California to mark products that are GMO's, in the recent election. You should demand and protest the government to regulate and enforce laws pertaining to farming that would better protect consumers, possibly even the animals. And why are food prices so high you ask? Well there isn't much to keep them from going up, there isn't much of anything to keep businesses from price gauging. There is a need for regulation there.

Someone making minimum wage will see a benefit if their wage goes up. There are a lot of benefits to regulation such as for example you don't work in a slave labor camp right now.

p.s: If you think that raising the minimum wage is some super duper liberal idea that no conservative would agree with. Maybe you should ask Mitt Romney why he'd be doing the same thing if he was voted in.