Be a Supporter!

Games that didn't age well

  • 1,674 Views
  • 56 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-14 13:00:09 Reply

At 2/14/13 08:13 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Mario 64
Mario Party
Mario Kart 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Smash Brothers
Perfect Dark
Mischief Makers
Yoshi's Story
Kirby 64
Rampage World Tour
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Star Fox 64

Almost all of those games look like shit. Yoshi's Story still holds up.

Quinny
Quinny
  • Member since: Nov. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-14 14:39:11 Reply

Time hasn't been kind to a lot of PS1 games. Many of them are hilariously bad by today's standards. Only a handful like Metal Gear Solid and Crash Bandicoot are still as great as they were.


TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-14 15:13:36 Reply

At 2/14/13 12:38 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Silent Hill

I don't understand how this has aged badly, I played it fairly recently and it's still one of the best horror games ever made, maybe the best in the whole series.

I don't think any game "ages badly", a game is either good or bad regardless of how old it is, same with films and music.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-14 15:43:56 Reply

At 2/14/13 03:13 PM, DeIirium wrote:
At 2/14/13 12:38 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Silent Hill
I don't understand how this has aged badly, I played it fairly recently and it's still one of the best horror games ever made, maybe the best in the whole series.

Yeah, Silent Hill is still great especially when you can move & shoot. The bad graphics just make the enemies more abstract, leaves more to the imagination. It's great.

I don't think any game "ages badly", a game is either good or bad regardless of how old it is, same with films and music.

I disagree. The original Star Fox for example, blew people away when it was new, now it's completely unplayable. Plenty of films have aged poorly too.


"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-14 15:56:04 Reply

At 2/14/13 03:43 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 2/14/13 03:13 PM, DeIirium wrote:
At 2/14/13 12:38 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I disagree. The original Star Fox for example, blew people away when it was new, now it's completely unplayable. Plenty of films have aged poorly too.

It wasn't any better when it first came out, people were just amazed by the graphics. So it's not that it has aged badly, games that only rely on good graphics or gimmicks aren't good games to begin with, or films that just rely on new special effects, because if there's no substance beyond that people aren't going to give a shit after 10 years.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-14 19:49:43 Reply

At 2/14/13 03:43 PM, Jackho wrote: The original Star Fox for example, blew people away when it was new, now it's completely unplayable.

Yes, the polygon graphics are very dated, but I can find nothing wrong with the gameplay mechanics. (Too difficult for you?)

Plenty of films have aged poorly too.

It all depends on the quality of the special effects:

-Outdated lighting (Shadow-casting spotlights, night scenes filmed during the day and darkened)
-Poor sound quality
-Poor film splicing effects
-Obvious sped-up footage
-Unnatural jerky stop motion movements
-Crude CGI.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-14 20:03:52 Reply

At 2/14/13 01:00 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Almost all of those games look like shit. Yoshi's Story still holds up.

but good gameplay


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Member since: Apr. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-15 17:05:06 Reply

GoldenEye 007. Just admit it.

At 2/14/13 02:48 AM, LemonCrush wrote: Every N64 game ever

In terms of presentation, yeah (except for maybe Yoshi's Story and Paper Mario), but for the most part the actual games hold up fine.


NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-15 17:33:38 Reply

At 2/15/13 05:05 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: GoldenEye 007. Just admit it.

I'd still play the multiplayer if I had it. Perfect Dark multiplayer is still fun.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-15 18:02:12 Reply

At 2/15/13 05:05 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: GoldenEye 007. Just admit it.

I think that's also mostly in terms of graphics. For the rest the AI is a little stupid and the action may not be as fluent compared to todays standards, but the gameplay is still fine if you ask me.

As for N64 games in general, I agree that most of the good ones still hold up fine nowadays. I admit the graphics aren't always top-notch anymore but games like banjo-kazooie, super mario 64 and conker's bad fur day remain fun to play. In my opinion at least.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-16 10:43:36 Reply

At 2/14/13 07:49 PM, Painbringer wrote: Yes, the polygon graphics are very dated, but I can find nothing wrong with the gameplay mechanics. (Too difficult for you?)

Yeah, because difficulty is an outdated concept, that's exactly why I don't like it. Not because it runs at 5 frames per second and plays like a mess.

Lylat Wars is still alright, but snes Starfox is thoroughly outdated.

At 2/15/13 06:02 PM, Auz wrote: I think that's also mostly in terms of graphics. For the rest the AI is a little stupid and the action may not be as fluent compared to todays standards, but the gameplay is still fine if you ask me.

The AI is horrible, the controls are horrible, the framerate is horrible, the combat is ridiculously simple, the level design is generic, the guns all feel the same. It's still playable (sort of) but it's not still fun unless you grew up with it. Doom 64 is much better.


"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Kman
Kman
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-17 00:29:23 Reply

Morrowind definitely hasn't stood the test of time for me. I just cant get into it anymore for some reason...I think Skyrim spoiled it for me honestly.


Steam: Kman
Sig by YenMuffin
"Women these days don't appreciate a gentleman, or chivalry, and they're especially not deserving of it."

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-17 02:18:09 Reply

At 2/17/13 12:29 AM, Kman wrote: Morrowind definitely hasn't stood the test of time for me. I just cant get into it anymore for some reason...I think Skyrim spoiled it for me honestly.

really?
because if anything skyrim and it's prequel Oblivion made me really wish my Morrowind disk would still work for the Xbox


BBS Signature
Kman
Kman
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-19 19:41:57 Reply

At 2/17/13 02:18 AM, naronic wrote:
At 2/17/13 12:29 AM, Kman wrote: Morrowind definitely hasn't stood the test of time for me. I just cant get into it anymore for some reason...I think Skyrim spoiled it for me honestly.
really?
because if anything skyrim and it's prequel Oblivion made me really wish my Morrowind disk would still work for the Xbox

I really hate to say this, but the graphics kill it. Everything else about it though, it deserves a remake.


Steam: Kman
Sig by YenMuffin
"Women these days don't appreciate a gentleman, or chivalry, and they're especially not deserving of it."

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-19 22:21:57 Reply

I really hate to say this, but the graphics kill it. Everything else about it though, it deserves a remake.

Mods, have it looking better then Oblivion.

GasMaskedMonkey
GasMaskedMonkey
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-20 01:06:27 Reply

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Super Smash Bros (64)
Mario Kart 64


BBS Signature
Nithael
Nithael
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-20 04:17:34 Reply

At 2/17/13 12:29 AM, Kman wrote: Morrowind definitely hasn't stood the test of time for me. I just cant get into it anymore for some reason...I think Skyrim spoiled it for me honestly.

Oh so very true. I tried playing Morrowind again long before Skyrim had even been announced, and I just COULDNT HANDLE the way an argonian walked. Seriously, as soon as I saw it I was on the verge of an aneurysm because of how retarded it looked and especially the fact that the animation was done so well and the graphics were amazing for its time.


Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.
My youtube channel!

dreaming-loudly
dreaming-loudly
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Filmmaker
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-20 06:10:26 Reply

Probably the first three sonic games. When I was eight I played them non stop and was quite good at them. I picked up the sega collection for pc and found Sonic to be extremely tedious. You move so fast and have to essentially memorize where everything is to clear the level with more than ten rings.

And the first gen of pokemon. No running. Awful sprites and all one colour. Also it reminds me of how much post elite four content has been added over time.

Can't forget the first digimon world either. I can't even figure out how I got so far into it with a strong digimon. It's a cruel toss up between being reliable in battles and living longer than ten ingame days. Probably the most punishing game I've ever played in hindsight. Suffice to say I loved that game as a kid.


Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz

darkjam
darkjam
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-20 13:21:45 Reply

The original Rainbow Six on PlayStation one. When I was a kid I thought that this was the bets shooters could get, then I played Halo and everything changed. Still, when I look back, the controls are pretty annoying and cause me to die. A LOT.


I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-20 15:44:40 Reply

At 2/20/13 01:06 AM, GasMaskedMonkey wrote: Mario Kart 64

I played Mario Kart 64 after I played Mario Kart Wii and just couldn't enjoy how poor it was in comparison. Had I played 64 back when it was first released I'm sure that I would have a better opinion of it.

darkjam
darkjam
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-20 16:42:38 Reply

Timesplitters has also aged, it's aiming system is pretty crap by today's standards.


I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-20 18:07:08 Reply

At 2/17/13 12:29 AM, Kman wrote: Morrowind definitely hasn't stood the test of time for me.

yeah. I remember it being one of my favorite games ever, but I can't bring myself to play it anymore. What kills it for me the most is how attacking works like rolling dice. *miss *miss *miss *miss


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-20 22:40:19 Reply

The first 2 Twisted Metal games aged terribly considering how big the cars were compared to the others, and the first game only had slow text endings. Granted, they did came in very early in the PS era, but they still were aged badly, especially when games like Final Fantasy 7 had FMV's for the first time, and Xenogears was one of the first pre-rendered 3D games that weren't entirely blocky looking and were sharp.

Come to think of it, the early PS games probably aged worst than any other game, with the exceptions of Crash Bandicoot and Metal Gear.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Wakielol
Wakielol
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Games that didn't age well 2013-02-21 04:18:23 Reply

I think that dungeon siege 1 is the greatest game of all times! Its so free compared to the others: dungeon siege 2 and 3 they are so "go do that and go do this".
When the first was just do whatever you want you will end up pretty good anyways.
The later games have better graphics but i still think that the first 1 is more free and have a better story line than the others.
Just my opinion.