Fuuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:44 AM Reply

Good morning Newgrounds!

What has everyone been up to?

I haven't been here for some time but I just remember about Newgrounds so I thought I'd do wise posting something. Do we have any other Crimson people on here? Any Ivy Leaguers? Which schools do you go to?

Ask me any interesting questions about Harvard!

/Fuuka off

HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:46 AM Reply

are you going to drop out and become a famous writer for a tv show?

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
Fuuka
Fuuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:48 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 10:46 AM, HighWay wrote: are you going to drop out and become a famous writer for a tv show?

I was thinking more along the lines of a Silicon Valley gazillionaire but with Microsoft and Facebook already up and running prospects seem rather grim.

I like your taste
PigeonOnAStick
PigeonOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:50 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 10:44 AM, Fuuka wrote: Ask me any interesting questions about Harvard!

When you come to fill in your CV for job applications, will you just type "Harvard" in size 144 font on a sheet of A4 and hand it in?

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:51 AM Reply

Why not Yale?

trollface.jpeg

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Fuuka
Fuuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:58 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 10:50 AM, PigeonOnAStick wrote:
At 2/12/13 10:44 AM, Fuuka wrote: Ask me any interesting questions about Harvard!
When you come to fill in your CV for job applications, will you just type "Harvard" in size 144 font on a sheet of A4 and hand it in?

Lol I wish! But we put it at the top if you know right ;)

At 2/12/13 10:51 AM, Cootie wrote: Why not Yale?

trollface.jpeg

Yale sucks! No but seriously have you ever been to New Haven, CT?

At 2/12/13 10:52 AM, Natick wrote: Are the students there stuck-up?

and lol at the same icons

Honestly not so much as some like to think. There is certainly a kind of pressure to do well (and do something) but in general people are pretty down-to-earth.

Jumbe
Jumbe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Reader
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 11:40 AM Reply

what do you think of the cheating scandal

Everything in this post is wrong.
I'm sorry, Jumbe, but you're fucking ugly -Amaranthus

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 11:50 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 10:48 AM, Fuuka wrote: I was thinking more along the lines of a Silicon Valley gazillionaire but with Microsoft and Facebook already up and running prospects seem rather grim.

They have no future, with an alternative that actually cares about the people you'll have their heads in no time. :P

A question, hmm. Why Harvard?

kisame
kisame
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 12:54 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 11:09 AM, Travis wrote: I go to a college that is literally only 400 dollars less a year, but they have handed me grants out the ass. So out of curiosity has Harvard gave you any scholarship or grant money?

Not like it matters since we all know you'll never have the ability or testicular fortitude to pay it back.

loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and lien loans and liens loans and liens loans and loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens loans and liens.

naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 12:57 PM Reply

What private prep school did you attend before Harvard?
How much did it cost?

BBS Signature
BrockManson
BrockManson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 02:30 PM Reply

How did your parents get so rich?

Some people feel content to pour syrup on shit and call it pancakes their whole lives.

Elitistinen
Elitistinen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 03:09 PM Reply

Going work for Silicon Valley? Can you write a fizzbuzz program in C? How much money is your parent throwing at Harvard?

Sig by Decimating

BBS Signature
Archonic
Archonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 03:13 PM Reply

I think Fuuka's one of the character names on my long-disused WoW account.

satanbrain is always wrong
EGB || Bat Crew || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature
Fuuka
Fuuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 08:55 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 11:09 AM, Travis wrote: I go to a college that is literally only 400 dollars less a year, but they have handed me grants out the ass. So out of curiosity has Harvard gave you any scholarship or grant money?

Oh yes. I could never afford it otherwise. Luckily we have need-based financial aid which reduces costs significantly. There are some scholarships too.

Where do you go?

At 2/12/13 11:16 AM, Protagonist wrote: Do you ever feel pressured to do exceptionally well since you're going to one of the most well known universities in the United States?

Yes! It can almost be a bit too much sometimes. If you don't do something amazing during your "summer recess" you would be considered a bad student (and human). Luckily we are blessed with grade inflation which mitigates pressure a little bit, but you still get busy!

At 2/12/13 11:40 AM, Jumbe wrote: what do you think of the cheating scandal

I think both students and faculty were at fault in this case. The gov course in question used to be pretty easy but I heard it was made more difficult which compelled some students, especially some recruited athletes, to stretch the definition of open book exam a bit too far. On the other hand, I think the professor and TAs weren't too clear about what you could and couldn't do. It is a complicated situation and I don't really know what to make of it. It's easy to blame the other party, you know.

At 2/12/13 11:50 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: They have no future, with an alternative that actually cares about the people you'll have their heads in no time. :P

A question, hmm. Why Harvard?

Strong academics, engaged student body, many opportunities and very generous financial aid! Cambridge and Boston are really nice too. You don't really have to leave Cambridge much but if you want you can just take the Red Line to downtown Boston in no time.

At 2/12/13 12:57 PM, naronic wrote: What private prep school did you attend before Harvard?
How much did it cost?

I did not attend a private prep school at all actually, so $0. You don't have to go to Exeter to get into Harvard ;P (those are way too expensive by the way).

At 2/12/13 02:25 PM, Trillionaire wrote: SAT?

I knew this would come up! I'm reluctant to tell you but okay. Just SAT I though. 2 290. Fine. There you go. What about yourself, huh? 2 400 first sitting? I had a bad day, okay?

At 2/12/13 02:30 PM, BrockManson wrote: How did your parents get so rich?

My parents? Who said they were rich? Harvard has financial aid, hello! It's not full of rich WASPs anymore.

At 2/12/13 03:09 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Going work for Silicon Valley? Can you write a fizzbuzz program in C? How much money is your parent throwing at Harvard?

I don't think so ;P. I am super crappy at programming, even if my life was at stake I would hardly be able to set up a simple html website. I will take CS though, intro to CS (CS50) is extremely popular here. Which reminds me - I'm a bad student.

Oh and stop talking about my parents! I'm not rich, nor are my parents, we don't have any money for you!

At 2/12/13 03:13 PM, Spretznaz wrote: I think Fuuka's one of the character names on my long-disused WoW account.

That confused me. World of Warcraft? I didn't even know that thing still exists. I tried it once in 2004 (or 2005?) for like two hours, and I never played since. Is it true that some people literally spent over a year in time inside the game? Sorry for sprinting off topic.

Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 08:56 PM Reply

Is the campus pretty?

いないいないばあ

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 08:57 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 10:58 AM, Fuuka wrote: down-to-earth.

God I hate that phrase so much.

Fuuka
Fuuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:07 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 08:56 PM, NightOwl wrote: Is the campus pretty?

It's really pretty, especially Harvard Yard and the old buildings. Some buildings, like the Science Center, look bad though if you ask me - never liked that building. Oh and Memorial Hall is really beautiful, I'll attach a picture in this post (unfortunately it is really close to the dreaded Science Center).

At 2/12/13 08:57 PM, sweet21 wrote:

Why? Come on. I'll tell you that some students aren't actually down-to-earth, they just try really hard to be. "So where do you study?" - "In Boston", though some are tempted to say "Cambridge, Massachusetts, BITCH" but that never seems down-to-earth enough. I just say Boston, it leaves so many possibilities on the table.

Ask a Harvard freshman!

Elitistinen
Elitistinen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:09 PM Reply

I heard studying CS in Harvard is a tough job. With little experience in programming, how the heck are you gonna catch up the class?

Sig by Decimating

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:07 PM, Fuuka wrote:
At 2/12/13 08:57 PM, sweet21 wrote:
Why? Come on.

Please stop saying down to Earth. People have abused that phrase so much it's lost all meaning. Not like it ever had meaning in the first place. But if you want a legitimate question here it goes:
-How big is your peen?
-Ever been to any sweet vacation spots?
-Whats your favorite food?
-Have you considered being an optometrist?
-Whats it like being surrounded by boring people?

Fuuka
Fuuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:09 PM, Elitistinen wrote: I heard studying CS in Harvard is a tough job. With little experience in programming, how the heck are you gonna catch up the class?

It's really tough, but CS50 is really supposed to be for everyone, and loads of people take it. It is widely considered as a class which anyone can benefit from - I guess you could call it a freshman favorite. The guy who teaches it, Malan, is incredibly popular too. Everybody loves him!

At 2/12/13 09:13 PM, Ma1achi wrote: Do you consider yourself better than everyone else?

It's ok if you do.

Of course, especially Yale and Princeton students. And Stanford students (who needs California anyway?).

At 2/12/13 09:14 PM, sweet21 wrote: Please stop saying down to Earth. People have abused that phrase so much it's lost all meaning. Not like it ever had meaning in the first place.

What's wrong with down-to-earth? It has meaning, it had meaning for quite some time even!

At 2/12/13 09:14 PM, sweet21 wrote: But if you want a legitimate question here it goes:
-How big is your peen?
-Ever been to any sweet vacation spots?
-Whats your favorite food?
-Have you considered being an optometrist?
-Whats it like being surrounded by boring people?

Thanks for the very legitimate questions, I'll write you some legitimate answers too.

Peen? Is that what you call it now huh. No peen but I have plenty of nice pens if that's what you mean. Mhm, ballpoint. AS for vacation spots, I'm not the right one to ask. I like Mexican food, both American Mexican and Mexican Mexican. I'm a optometrist major - obviously? What people?

Is no one else here currently in college (or grad school)?

Knights
Knights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Filmmaker
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:33 PM Reply

Harvard? Pft, University of Pennsylvania's where it's at, son.

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.
AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature
PoundDotBlam
PoundDotBlam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:37 PM Reply

Ask me any interesting questions about Harvard!

Is being superior to everyone give you an erection? It gives me an erection.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:31 PM, Fuuka wrote: What's wrong with down-to-earth? It has meaning, it had meaning for quite some time even!

Reality shows ruined it for everyone. When a phrase like that is uttered by some fat impolite cow with too much make up and torn moral fiber multiple times it tends to remind of that cow. Down to Earth it used by just about all of them so in the end all it does is remind me of all the horrible things that exist in the world.

Im a college freshman. We're suppose to be asking you questions though, not the other way around.

Fuuka
Fuuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:56 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:32 PM, Trillionaire wrote: ACTs? Extracurriculars during HS? Passtimes? Ethnicity?

This seems very unidirectional. I did a lot of leadership stuff, founded a peer-to-peer tutoring club, taught a lot myself and my favorite - dancing! Lots of other stuff but who really cares about that. Ethnicity? ... Asian. Surprise surprise.

At 2/12/13 09:33 PM, Knights wrote: Harvard? Pft, University of Pennsylvania's where it's at, son.

You mean Penn State? I heard that place is really cool - the best school in Philly! Are you a student there? Please watch out for the football coach.

At 2/12/13 09:37 PM, PoundDotBlam wrote: Is being superior to everyone give you an erection? It gives me an erection.

Why so phallic?

At 2/12/13 09:39 PM, sweet21 wrote: Reality shows ruined it for everyone. When a phrase like that is uttered by some fat impolite cow with too much make up and torn moral fiber multiple times it tends to remind of that cow. Down to Earth it used by just about all of them so in the end all it does is remind me of all the horrible things that exist in the world.
Im a college freshman. We're suppose to be asking you questions though, not the other way around.

I use down-to-earth to describe someone who behaves in a pragmatic and realistic way as opposed to being quixotic or pretentious. Unacceptable?

I may counter-question, or is that illegitimate? I really should read the rule book.

PoundDotBlam
PoundDotBlam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:58 PM Reply

Why so phallic?

Everything is phallic you dumb ass.

Jeff-Teh-Great
Jeff-Teh-Great
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:01 PM Reply

Nice! Congrats on getting in! What are you majoring in?

DevourerJay
DevourerJay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:03 PM Reply

I did 1 year 1/2 of NYU... no harvard for me... :/

how's the snow?

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Sig By Xeno.
Formerly known as MissingNYC

BBS Signature
Knights
Knights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Filmmaker
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:06 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:56 PM, Fuuka wrote:
At 2/12/13 09:33 PM, Knights wrote: Harvard? Pft, University of Pennsylvania's where it's at, son.
You mean Penn State? I heard that place is really cool - the best school in Philly! Are you a student there? Please watch out for the football coach.

Penn State =/= University of Pennsylvania. UPenn is another Ivy League school and pretty much the best one out of the 8, thank you.

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.
AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature
Fuuka
Fuuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:15 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:58 PM, PoundDotBlam wrote: Why so phallic?

Everything is phallic you dumb ass.

My dumb ass. I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

At 2/12/13 10:01 PM, Jeff-Teh-Great wrote: Nice! Congrats on getting in! What are you majoring in?

Thank you! I am not sure yet, but it will be in the social sciences. Yes, my mathematics skills are about as crappy as my CS skills. Did you apply to Harvard?

At 2/12/13 10:03 PM, DevourerJay wrote: I did 1 year 1/2 of NYU... no harvard for me... :/

how's the snow?

NYU is so nice! Stern? Or what did you study? Did you apply to Harvard at all?

Lol, I have never seen so much snow. So many problems because of snow, people who couldn't get to university or get home, luckily most of us live on campus. It's cool though as long as it melts away eventually. This time, I honestly don't know if it will.

At 2/12/13 10:06 PM, Knights wrote: Penn State =/= University of Pennsylvania. UPenn is another Ivy League school and pretty much the best one out of the 8, thank you.

You're obviously no Quaker huh ;P. I was accepted to Penn CAS - I really like Penn, it seems like a nice school. Wharton is a huge plus too. I get a feeling people hate Philly for some reason though, no idea why. Philly steak is nice (or not bad), right?

VGmasters
VGmasters
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ask a Harvard freshman! Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:19 PM Reply

Are you glad you picked Harvard over Cornell?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuLaQoQP9oo