New Topic Respond to this Topic
ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Audiophile
Changing Notification Area Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 08:58 AM Reply

Is there a way to move the notification area so that it displays in or around the site header?

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Changing Notification Area Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:20 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 08:58 AM, ExtraLife wrote: Is there a way to move the notification area so that it displays in or around the site header?

If you mean the pod on the front page, you can move that one up and down in the current column by dragging it while holding the 'Move This Pod' box. As for the star icon in the usermenu, it's not modifiable at all, and according to reliable sources (Tom posted about it earlier) it'll be removed eventually, replaced by the new notification box in the 'News & Events'. That one can't be moved around either... yet.

ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Audiophile
Response to Changing Notification Area Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:30 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:20 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/12/13 08:58 AM, ExtraLife wrote: Is there a way to move the notification area so that it displays in or around the site header?
If you mean the pod on the front page, you can move that one up and down in the current column by dragging it while holding the 'Move This Pod' box.

Yeah, I'm talking about that area that's on the front page but, more specifically, I'm talking about that little notification area that let's me know that there's been a reply to a post I have made in the forums.

I like the concept of being notified that a reply has been made to me, as it's more likely that conversation will be facilitated, however I dislike that it's only available on the front page.

I think that it would be more convenient for users to know when a reply has been made no matter which page I'm on.

I guess what I'm talking about could be called, "On-Page Instant Thread-Reply Notification thingy"

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 58
Programmer
Response to Changing Notification Area Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:43 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:30 AM, ExtraLife wrote: Yeah, I'm talking about that area that's on the front page but, more specifically, I'm talking about that little notification area that let's me know that there's been a reply to a post I have made in the forums.

I like the concept of being notified that a reply has been made to me, as it's more likely that conversation will be facilitated, however I dislike that it's only available on the front page.

I think that it would be more convenient for users to know when a reply has been made no matter which page I'm on.

I guess what I'm talking about could be called, "On-Page Instant Thread-Reply Notification thingy"

Never bloody happy :P

I remember reading somewhere (this "where" eludes me at the moment, so you'll have to take my word for it) that all these notifications are going to be combined and shown in the status bar.

When (if) this will happen is unknown, although it seems like a natural thing to do.

#coys

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Changing Notification Area Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:44 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:30 AM, ExtraLife wrote: I think that it would be more convenient for users to know when a reply has been made no matter which page I'm on.

It would be! Doesn't take that long to click the logo and get notified, but it could still be easier, like a small square right beside the logo if you have any replies, with the number of replies within it. Something like this...

Changing Notification Area

ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Audiophile
Response to Changing Notification Area Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:58 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:43 AM, deckheadtottie wrote:
When (if) this will happen is unknown, although it seems like a natural thing to do.

Yeah, hope it happens soon.

At 2/12/13 09:44 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Something like this...

Something like that would be useful!

I was thinking something like this:

Changing Notification Area

ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Audiophile
Response to Changing Notification Area Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 11:10 AM Reply

Just realized that the header already has the essence of the functionality built into that very STAR button however, it displays the latest submission, blog posts and not the latest forum replies...

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Changing Notification Area Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 11:10 AM, ExtraLife wrote: Just realized that the header already has the essence of the functionality built into that very STAR button however, it displays the latest submission, blog posts and not the latest forum replies...

Yeah, mentioned that earlier, but that's the icon that will probably be removed since most users don't really know about or use it. The frontpage notifications are said to replace it, as Deckheadtottie mentioned.

At 2/12/13 10:58 AM, ExtraLife wrote: Something like that would be useful!

That + the number would be a good combination. :)

Though I still think I prefer the placement by the logo, makes it seem official somehow...