New Topic Respond to this Topic
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Programmer
Convert my Flash! 2013-02-10 15:43:24 Reply

As you probably know, Adobe doesn't allow for a lot of backwards compatibility. Each version of Flash only allows you to save as one version back or so. For example, CS6 can't save as a CS4 file. This is likely a gimmick to get people to buy the new versions. So if two people are collaborating and one is making assets in CS6, he can't get the files to his partner who's using CS4.

But lots of people here have lots of different versions. So if we can get a relay going, we can overcome this problem. People should post here saying what version or versions they have. If they have a fla that needs converting, they should say what version they need it converted to. And they can post a link to the uploaded fla, or if they wanna be private about it they can ask that someone PM them for the file. For example, if someone has CS6 they can post a link to the CS5 file, then someone with CS5 can take it, convert it to CS4, and then post a link to that.

If we all help each other then we all benefit!

I got Flash CS4 in case you need something converted to CS3.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Convert my Flash! 2013-02-10 16:19:15 Reply

I only have CS6, although that's what my animators have too, people working together should have the same Flash version or at least compatible ones. The problem with this is you only need to transfer files back and forth if your making games right? In this case a programmer should not be using the Flash IDE to program and instead be using FlashDevelop. As a second though game fla's are normally very large files and corrupt easily, not to mention the whole stealing aspect.

So basically we're dangerously transferring and likely corrupting extremely large projects because the programmers are to lazy to learn to properly code in an coding environment.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare. Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Convert my Flash! 2013-02-11 01:47:18 Reply

At 2/10/13 04:19 PM, MintPaw wrote: people working together should have the same Flash version or at least compatible ones.

That would be ideal, but I'm not going to turn someone away because we don't have compatible Flash versions. I'd like to be able to work with who I want to work with.

At 2/10/13 04:19 PM, MintPaw wrote: a programmer should not be using the Flash IDE to program and instead be using FlashDevelop.

There are many reasons for a programmer to use the Flash IDE in combination with FlashDevelop. In order to ensure that a game runs properly, he will want to organize the fla in a way that will work. The assets need to be in the right scenes and the right frames and the right layers and nested in the right other assets. They also need the right instance names. And even though it's considered best practice to code entirely in separate as files, there may be the occasional line of code that is most convenient to put in a timeline, like a stop() method.

At 2/10/13 04:19 PM, MintPaw wrote: game fla's are normally very large files and corrupt easily, not to mention the whole stealing aspect.

They are normally very large, but I've never encountered one that was too big to upload. If the animator just wants to pass along the vector art and doesn't put any sound files or images in the fla, it should be a manageable size. They may corrupt easily, but that's a problem whether or not we're passing them along. And nobody has to share anything with anyone if they're worried they might steal it.

At 2/10/13 04:19 PM, MintPaw wrote: So basically we're dangerously transferring and likely corrupting extremely large projects because the programmers are to lazy to learn to properly code in an coding environment.

It's not a matter of laziness. Like I said, there are many reasons why a coder may need to work with fla files regardless of whether or not they're also using FlashDevelop. Sometimes people need a fla converted several versions down the line, and it would be nice to be able to. Thanks for your concern.

devilsgarage
devilsgarage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Convert my Flash! 2013-02-13 01:17:05 Reply

This is indeed a very thoughtful idea.
This should be a feature in th NG project system
This issue has always troubled me since the early days of Flash. I wish there were a large degree of compatibility between each version released.
I do know that one Flash Coder wrote a tool to convert a CS6 and CS5.5 to CS5 using only Flannel.
read more about it here http://ajarproductions.com/blog/2012/03/06/flannel-open-newe r-fla-files/

This may not be the solution to everything. But it's a start

TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Convert my Flash! 2014-08-30 17:33:56 Reply

Can someone with CS5 please convert this to CS4 for me?

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/aba6f2908c0bb246374655e8e75cfd81

Thank you. :)

Hero101
Hero101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Convert my Flash! 2014-08-31 18:43:33 Reply

Neat concept but don't code with scenes or inside frames or the timeline. It may be very quick but unless your game is extremely simple I would stay away from coding inside any timeline. If this is something you plan to do often and don't see yourself ever stopping (making games) then you and others with same drive/passion should just save up the money and upgrade to CS6. I know not everyone one can afford it but if you want to keep doing this then you should look into making the upgrade.

BBS Signature
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Convert my Flash! 2014-08-31 19:41:22 Reply

At 8/31/14 06:43 PM, Hero101 wrote: Neat concept but don't code with scenes or inside frames or the timeline. It may be very quick but unless your game is extremely simple I would stay away from coding inside any timeline. If this is something you plan to do often and don't see yourself ever stopping (making games) then you and others with same drive/passion should just save up the money and upgrade to CS6. I know not everyone one can afford it but if you want to keep doing this then you should look into making the upgrade.

Not even a simple stop() command? Why not? The alternative would be to have enterFrame listeners checking to see if every movie clip you need stopped is on one of the frames where you want it to stop. That's not good coding, that's much less efficient. And even if we don't code at all in the timeline, Flash is still useful for animating and organizing all of the vector art that is central to many many Flash games, so I don't quite see what your point is.

Of course it would be better to have CS6, but don't you think there are going to be even more new versions coming out making CS6 obsolete before long? Development software is expensive. Helping each other out in what is supposed to be a friendly community is not expensive.

I'll post my dump link again since this is supposed to be a thread for people to help each other convert Flash files.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/aba6f2908c0bb246374655e8e75cfd81

Hero101
Hero101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Convert my Flash! 2014-08-31 20:04:09 Reply

Not even a simple stop() command? Why not? The alternative would be to have enterFrame listeners checking to see if every movie clip you need stopped is on one of the frames where you want it to stop. That's not good coding, that's much less efficient. And even if we don't code at all in the timeline, Flash is still useful for animating and organizing all of the vector art that is central to many many Flash games, so I don't quite see what your point is.

Again, I am suggesting this for bigger projects. If it is a super simple game that someone can complete in under 5 minutes then sure you can code a simple stop command at the start of the timeline. It just becomes an issue with bigger projects trying to remember where they are all at and it can sometimes cause weird errors which is even harder to debug since your code is not all in one location.

Of course it would be better to have CS6, but don't you think there are going to be even more new versions coming out making CS6 obsolete before long? Development software is expensive. Helping each other out in what is supposed to be a friendly community is not expensive.

Well given people are still using CS3 it could be quite awhile. But I understand where you are coming from. No need to be defensive. Everyone here was just making suggestions to help you out in an overall way in case you plan to keep making games. Best of luck with finding people to make conversions - you may want to post this in the collab forum instead.

BBS Signature