thekiwi
thekiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Audio Editing Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 01:43 PM Reply

Hi Newground lurkers and animators,

I have a question for you guys where we all can think about.

How can you successfully edit sound to make it fitting in flash?

I once tried to edit it all in audacity and create on big streaming audio file, BIG MISTAKE! all the audio went desync and the voices and sounds where all off.

I tried to do it in flash alone, and it just wont blend and transition smoothly.

Thanks for reading, I hope we can find a handy dandy solution.

Subscribe the piss out of me. Youtube

MacDonaldFin
MacDonaldFin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to Audio Editing Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 03:39 PM Reply

Ah, I think I may know the solution to this problem, it gets asked a fair bit here.
Well, first thing I'd do, make sure to export sounds in audacity as .mp3 to get the best results as they are much smaller in comparison to .wav in file size.

NEXT, put in your sounds in your movie's timeline as you have done before in flash. Make sure that your audio are ALL set to stream or event, it's easier to have them all as just one of those two, but I recommend stream.

Now here's the really important part, follow this:

Go to file>Publish Settings>Audio Stream(If audio is set to stream) Audio Event(if audio is well, set to event).

Now simply change the bit rate to anything higher than the current setting, this feature essentially is what you use to finetune the audioclips' sync with the movie. Keep increasing it until the audio clips sound like they are being heard at the right moments and you should be done!

Hope that helps!

thekiwi
thekiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Audio Editing Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 05:22 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 03:39 PM, MacDonaldFin wrote: Ah, I think I may know the solution to this problem, it gets asked a fair bit here.
Well, first thing I'd do, make sure to export sounds in audacity as .mp3 to get the best results as they are much smaller in comparison to .wav in file size.

NEXT, put in your sounds in your movie's timeline as you have done before in flash. Make sure that your audio are ALL set to stream or event, it's easier to have them all as just one of those two, but I recommend stream.

Now here's the really important part, follow this:

Go to file>Publish Settings>Audio Stream(If audio is set to stream) Audio Event(if audio is well, set to event).

Now simply change the bit rate to anything higher than the current setting, this feature essentially is what you use to finetune the audioclips' sync with the movie. Keep increasing it until the audio clips sound like they are being heard at the right moments and you should be done!

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply !

I did just that but forgot to export to mp3 I think the filesize will be too big for newgrounds, If it is I will reconvert it.

Newgrounds should have a pinned topic with this kind of subjects because these treads will be forgotten in no time.

Subscribe the piss out of me. Youtube

MacDonaldFin
MacDonaldFin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to Audio Editing Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 11:45 AM Reply

At 2/10/13 05:22 PM, thekiwi wrote: Newgrounds should have a pinned topic with this kind of subjects because these treads will be forgotten in no time.

Yeah, it's quite a commonly encountered problem for people just starting to create more complex scenes in their projects. However, it's that common a problem that it will usually get resolved pretty quickly.