ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 04:40 PM Reply

Hello everybody

I'm looking to purchase a laptop for gaming and graphics design. Though I understand that many of you will prefer the concept of buying a desktop PC I should not have to give you my reasons for purchasing a laptop instead.

Insofar as I can tell the only trick in the book is that I am not currently up to date with the current CPU/GPU market. Could anybody illuminate me, hence the title. I've returned to this website because its users for me have always been an invaluable and friendly resource.

Take care and always;
ArmouredGRIFFON

PS: we're talking the RTW2 release date here.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 04:44 PM Reply

Sorry to double post and I understand that this has been posted over one-million times, if not once for each purchase. But the market is constantly changing. Old information is not apt to change with it.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 04:51 PM Reply

Seriously bro, just don't get a laptop for gaming. You'll have to spend twice as much as you would on a desktop.

I'm using a dell inspiron 17 with an i5 and 6GB of ram, I imagine you wouldn't need any more than that for graphics design so something from this line should be fine, but you'd probably find something cheaper if you researched it.

It can run everything I've tried on it, but I wouldn't like to see Far Cry 3 or similar on it. Everything up until 2010 should be fine on max, and unless you've got money pouring out your ass you'd probably settle for that.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 05:00 PM Reply

I don't own a Laptop but I would recommend Intel and Nvidia. I heard nothing but great things about Intel even tho I've never owned an Intel with the exception of a single core a long time ago. Nvidia is the best graphics card tho, because Nvidia supports Physx. Nvidia cards are usually a bit more than Ati, but I think it's worth it to go with Nvidia personally.

Specs of my Desktop:

Amd Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz quad core
4 gigs ddr3 ram
GigaByte Nvidia Gtx 570 1280mb card

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 05:01 PM Reply

At 2/9/13 04:51 PM, Jackho wrote: Seriously bro, just don't get a laptop for gaming. You'll have to spend twice as much as you would on a desktop.

I'm using a dell inspiron 17 with an i5 and 6GB of ram, I imagine you wouldn't need any more than that for graphics design so something from this line should be fine, but you'd probably find something cheaper if you researched it.

It can run everything I've tried on it, but I wouldn't like to see Far Cry 3 or similar on it. Everything up until 2010 should be fine on max, and unless you've got money pouring out your ass you'd probably settle for that.

Well at the moment I am running a HP System which can run Far Cry 3, Skyrim or whatever you like on high detail-ultra settings. Additionally it only cost me £400.

The new laptop is my purchase for a friend. You would do well to know that if you look hard enough you can get whatever your heart desires. You just have to find it. That's all.

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 05:21 PM Reply

If you want a quality gaming laptop, you're gonna have to fork out a shitload of money and get something like AlienWare products.

You pay a lot of extra money for the portability.

TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 05:25 PM Reply

At 2/9/13 05:21 PM, The-iMortal wrote: If you want a quality gaming laptop, you're gonna have to fork out a shitload of money and get something like AlienWare products.

If his friend doesn't mind, he can find a lot of them used online for much cheaper prices. He can probably find a good Alienware half the price of what that website is charging. I'd say a good used in good condition one for about 600-400 price range. 400 being an incredible deal if it's in good condition and no scratches on the screen.

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 05:57 PM Reply

At 2/9/13 05:25 PM, TheKlown wrote:
At 2/9/13 05:21 PM, The-iMortal wrote: If you want a quality gaming laptop, you're gonna have to fork out a shitload of money and get something like AlienWare products.

If his friend doesn't mind, he can find a lot of them used online for much cheaper prices. He can probably find a good Alienware half the price of what that website is charging. I'd say a good used in good condition one for about 600-400 price range. 400 being an incredible deal if it's in good condition and no scratches on the screen.

I think I'm seeing a big shift in the livability of devices from the W7 era, moving more towards W8. Therefore it would be a good idea to wait until more technology is available.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 06:29 PM Reply

don't listen to these guys:

Processor: 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3840QM Processor (3.4 GHZ Quad)
Graphics card: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2048MB (2GB)
Memory : 16GB DDR3 System Memory

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 09:18 PM Reply

Cooling is the major problem in laptop gaming. It's fine if you are planning to play quick games when you travel around but for long gaming session, using laptop is a bad idea.

BlueBeef
BlueBeef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 12:31 AM Reply

Alot of people are going to suggest an alienware.
They're overpriced and NOT worth it.

BBS Signature
UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Artist
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 01:16 AM Reply

At 2/9/13 09:18 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Cooling is the major problem in laptop gaming. It's fine if you are planning to play quick games when you travel around but for long gaming session, using laptop is a bad idea.

It's not a problem if you buy a laptop that's meant for gaming/power. I have few long gaming sessions a couple times a week or so and the temperatures are more than fine.

Check out Malibal. I use my laptop for gaming and designing and its been going strong for 2+ years. Malibal is a pretty great company, too. Great hardware with decent prices. Their support is insane, too. They answer emails with in 5 minutes.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 02:35 AM Reply

Personally I'd never get a laptop for gaming. The screen is small and there's no room for future expansion.

Jewelz123
Jewelz123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 07:03 AM Reply

I had to move abroad for half a year as part of my university degree and had to buy a laptop for gaming, making music etc.

Went for the MSi Ge70. Cost over £1000 but I'm planning on selling it when I get back.

The specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3610QM
VGA: Nvidia GTX 660M / 2GB GDDR5
1920x1080 17" Screen
Ram: DDRIII 8GB
HDD: 750GB

Works like a charm with pretty much all games. Running battlefield 3 on low at 1920x1080 and getting around 60fps. Runs all other games I play fine to such as Natural Selection 2, Dead Space 3, Age of Chivalry, CS GO. In terms of visuals it's pretty nice, haven't really had any trouble except with Crysis 3 which didn't run properly at all and look ugly..

Also works well with Source Filmmaker. FL Studio works fine too.

Only thing is, you could probably get one that suits your need for a cheaper price. I bought this very last minute as couldn't take PC.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 07:25 AM Reply

The Razor Blade. If money was no object, I'd love to have that laptop. So sleek, so powerful, so pretty. It's a fantastic looking machine.

But unless you require the size or portability of a laptop, I'd definitely say the desktop route is better. You'll be able to get something more powerful for less money. I imagine that it's a lot harder to design and construct a powerful laptop which is why high-end laptops cost an absolute fortune.

For me, a laptop will always always be more of a portable computer for working on and browsing the internet. I'd never really consider getting a fancy one if the main reasoning behind it was for gaming.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 11:01 AM Reply

At 2/10/13 01:16 AM, UVSoaked wrote:
At 2/9/13 09:18 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Cooling is the major problem in laptop gaming. It's fine if you are planning to play quick games when you travel around but for long gaming session, using laptop is a bad idea.
It's not a problem if you buy a laptop that's meant for gaming/power. I have few long gaming sessions a couple times a week or so and the temperatures are more than fine.

It's just my own problem. I built my own laptop. At first I intended it for a remote file server so I didn't put much work on cooling effort, I only have 2 fans inside. Later I have screwed the server plan and turn the laptop to a game/work station. It can handle Arma 2 fine, but after a while the CPU takes too much heat and I have to stop. I can play lightweight game like StarCraft , WoW and old C&C games on it.

UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Artist
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 12:39 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 11:01 AM, Elitistinen wrote:
It's just my own problem. I built my own laptop. At first I intended it for a remote file server so I didn't put much work on cooling effort, I only have 2 fans inside. Later I have screwed the server plan and turn the laptop to a game/work station. It can handle Arma 2 fine, but after a while the CPU takes too much heat and I have to stop. I can play lightweight game like StarCraft , WoW and old C&C games on it.

Have you checked out laptop coolers? I bought one for my desk and it works great and quietly, they're pretty inexpensive, too.

BBS Signature
UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Artist
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 12:52 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 02:35 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Personally I'd never get a laptop for gaming. The screen is small and there's no room for future expansion.

I'm not sure if you're just stating your opinion, or if you're trying to offer him advice or both so I will say this: He said it's for gaming AND graphic design. And in my experience, if you're doing freelancing, a laptop is needed for graphic design. It's really handy when meeting up with clients, especially when you can make the adjustments right there and then.

As for future expansion, you don't really need to worry about that as much as you did a few years back. Games (and hardware) are becoming more efficient, so they aren't as power hungry as they once were. My laptop was $1500 which is 2 years old now, and I can still run Battlefield 3 on high settings and you don't see much newer games being as stressful as BF3.

It really comes down to personal preference nowadays. The obvious reason, out of many, for a (powerful) laptop is if you need power for gaming and work on the go, since you're always moving around to different workspaces or other places.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 12:54 PM Reply

The only advice I can give you is aim at getting a good processor and a good graphics card cause those are (probably) the most important things for gaming. I'm not really an expert on computer specs for the rest though. Sorry I can't be of much help.

I would just like to say that I'm pretty happy with what my current laptop can do. It's a 3.5 years old Asus that I bought for about 600 euros. It's not even designed as a gaming laptop, but for some reason it can still run Skyrim (on low settings). So, I reckon it's definitely possible to get a reasonably priced laptop that can play most modern and near-future video games on (at least) medium settings.

Still, like everybody else already said, you're probably cheaper off with a desktop PC.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 01:42 PM Reply

You can get them but they cost far more than they should

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 01:46 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 12:52 PM, UVSoaked wrote: I'm not sure if you're just stating your opinion, or if you're trying to offer him advice or both so I will say this: He said it's for gaming AND graphic design. And in my experience, if you're doing freelancing, a laptop is needed for graphic design. It's really handy when meeting up with clients, especially when you can make the adjustments right there and then.

Probably both, I was stating my opinion, in that it may also be used as advice. I do some freelance design work myself, but that's probably not relevant since it's all at a distance with people around the world and thus the portability of the device is never needed. If I had to use a laptop for work, I'd get one for work and a stationary for gaming, because I don't see how you could game comfortably with such a small computer. Laptop screens are not ideal, and on afterthought, neither is the sound in most of them.

As for future expansion, you don't really need to worry about that as much as you did a few years back. Games (and hardware) are becoming more efficient, so they aren't as power hungry as they once were. My laptop was $1500 which is 2 years old now, and I can still run Battlefield 3 on high settings and you don't see much newer games being as stressful as BF3.

With the new consoles arriving soon, I'd expect a bit of a surge in game requirements. Even if the laptop doesn't have a problem running the latest games, you wouldn't be able to expand if you wanted to. There's no room for extra drives or RAM or a new video card. They're not built to be modded.

It really comes down to personal preference nowadays. The obvious reason, out of many, for a (powerful) laptop is if you need power for gaming and work on the go, since you're always moving around to different workspaces or other places.

Yeah, it's all opinion, just stating mine. Laptops are great for portability, that's for certain..

PrincessLuna
PrincessLuna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 02:07 PM Reply

If you were saying just graphics design then I'd recommend a Macbook Pro. Though they are good for gaming, but the issue is that you would have to acquire Windows to truly game on it. The graphics card is pretty good as well, for a laptop of course.

"NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory (15-inch 2.3GHz configuration) or NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory (15-inch 2.6GHz configuration) and automatic graphics switching"

If not then look into Razer.

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 04:33 PM Reply

Gaming laptops are overpriced compared to their computer equivalents. They heat up like crazy, they're very large and heavy, they don't last very long battery-wise.

Getting one mean sitting at a table with a mouse while it's plugged into a wall, the lugging it to your next location. It really might as well just be an easy to setup desktop.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 06:34 PM Reply

Never throw out your pc's , one day you will be saying "This ONLY had 4gb of ram!!!1" and everything will be like 20gb for a setup.

original I am.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Gaming Laptop - The Good Bad & Ugly Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 06:37 PM Reply

I would rec commend the alienware x51. It is quite small fr a desktop, can plug into and H.D T.V and runs games like battlefield 3 really well on ultra graphics. Also you can do all the regular stuff like you do on a normal PC. Gaming computers are basically computers but faster and have better quality.

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature