Be a Supporter!
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Soundfont help Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 03:17 PM Reply

So I'm new to sound fonts and just downloaded a pack of really cool ones.

It's mostly sample based so this may be the root of my problem, but...

Like, for example, one is a really awesome orchestra hit...or a really cool string drone thing. But the thing is, when I hold down a key, the sample just loops and you can hear the attack of the note every time, so you just get these clicks and I can't sustain notes on certain samples.

Is there a way to edit soundfonts or samples to not loop like that and sustain notes? Or at least lessen the attack so I don't hear that click every time the sample loops? Is there anyway to edit parameters of sound fonts like you can with a VST or synth?

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Soundfont help Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 03:31 PM Reply

Soundfonts ARE sample based, a soundfont file is basically a bunch of different samples with some extra meta info strapped together in a file.

Control of soundfonts is dependent on the VST you're using. FL Studio has DIrectWave player which gives you lots of control over envelopes and loop points etc., so you can play around with that to change the loop points to get rid of the clicking hopefully.

Ideally soundfonts are already set up with good sustain loop points.

P.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Soundfont help Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 2/9/13 03:31 PM, PSvils wrote: Soundfonts ARE sample based, a soundfont file is basically a bunch of different samples with some extra meta info strapped together in a file.

Control of soundfonts is dependent on the VST you're using.

The VST I'm using is Font!SF2...it's vary basic and doesn't have any editing capabilities. It only has controls for volume and panning....which VST should I be using? I use Reaper...

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Soundfont help Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 04:37 PM Reply

Most samplers have the option to either loop or not loop. I'm only used to Reason. I know in the NN-XT sampler in reason you can set the play mode to loop or not loop. You can set the loop start and end time. The buttons for this are right underneath the screen that shows the samples. This should be possible for almost every sampler in every program. Look it up in the manual I'd say. Sorry I can't be of more help.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Soundfont help Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 06:13 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 04:37 PM, SourJovis wrote: Most samplers have the option to either loop or not loop. I'm only used to Reason. I know in the NN-XT sampler in reason you can set the play mode to loop or not loop. You can set the loop start and end time. The buttons for this are right underneath the screen that shows the samples. This should be possible for almost every sampler in every program. Look it up in the manual I'd say. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Well, I can't find any free samplers with the ability to loop or not loop. In fact, I can't find any players at all that are free. So what are some?

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Soundfont help Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 06:44 PM Reply

Well, I can't find any free samplers with the ability to loop or not loop. In fact, I can't find any players at all that are free. So what are some?

I use SFZ and its free, i also used DSK Sf2 in the past but SFZ is compatible with more file formats.

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Soundfont help Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 07:07 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 06:44 PM, DivoFST wrote: I use SFZ and its free, i also used DSK Sf2 in the past but SFZ is compatible with more file formats.

I tried SFZ. No LFO or editing of any kind

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Soundfont help Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 06:44 PM, DivoFST wrote: I use SFZ and its free, i also used DSK Sf2 in the past but SFZ is compatible with more file formats.

I just tried DSK as well, and it has the same clicking problem. Why do none of these free ones have the ability to edit samples and looping points, etc?