New Topic Respond to this Topic
joe-4-kerr
joe-4-kerr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Help request: animal char. design Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 11:06 PM Reply

Hello NG. I need someone to help me. I'm kinda animator/artist, and I have a trouble. I'm working on a mobile game and stuck in developing character for it.
It's a squirrel. Supposed to be evil character with big tail and wearing a backpack. Walking on 2 feet, but sometimes goes on 4.
I need some advice on how to draw it's line art for animation or pictures of it from different angles to have a 3d image in my mind. Can't give something as a reward :(

Most troubles are with it's head.

Help request: animal char. design

Sigh.

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Help request: animal char. design Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 12:18 AM Reply

Perhaps draw a few real squirrel heads from different angles, and then widdle your drawing down to the basic lines necessary to maintain the essence of a squirrel.

At 2/8/13 11:06 PM, joe-4-kerr wrote: Hello NG. I need someone to help me. I'm kinda animator/artist, and I have a trouble. I'm working on a mobile game and stuck in developing character for it.
It's a squirrel. Supposed to be evil character with big tail and wearing a backpack. Walking on 2 feet, but sometimes goes on 4.
I need some advice on how to draw it's line art for animation or pictures of it from different angles to have a 3d image in my mind. Can't give something as a reward :(

joe-4-kerr
joe-4-kerr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Help request: animal char. design Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 2/9/13 12:18 AM, maficmelody wrote: Perhaps draw a few real squirrel heads from different angles, and then widdle your drawing down to the basic lines necessary to maintain the essence of a squirrel.

At 2/8/13 11:06 PM, joe-4-kerr wrote: Hello NG. I need someone to help me. I'm kinda animator/artist, and I have a trouble. I'm working on a mobile game and stuck in developing character for it.

Yes, I thought about that, but it's not an option, unfortunately. I'm trying to make that game cartoonish-like, and realistic squirrel head won't work. I have phoblems with drawing body too... >_>

Sigh.

monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Help request: animal char. design Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 01:47 AM Reply

Start by breaking it down to simple geometric shapes.

A sphere for the skull with a vertical guideline for the direction it's facing and a horizontal line for where its eyes are resting.
From there, add a simple rectangular prism to shape its mouth, and you can just add in all of the details from there.

I realize it's not the style you're attempting, but the principal is the same regardless. You can change the shapes to suit your aesthetic, but if you want to be able to move its head effectively, this works pretty well.

Hope that helps. : ]

Help request: animal char. design