00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dialusional just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of January 2013

26,245 Views | 44 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 11:33:51

January was a really awesome month here on NG. Mike launched Swivel for best ever SWF to video conversion, liljim launched The Collabinator for talent match-making and Rob launched the feeds section for followed artists, blogs, forums and reviews.

We just kicked off February with Cathode Raybots and PsychoGoldfish's launch of NG Passport, which allows people to log-in via remote window and save their game data from anywhere the game goes.

But back to January; it was awesome. To top it all off Brendon launched our video conversion server so you can now upload your animations in video format and they will work on mobile and TV. Try clicking around our front page with your iPhone or Kindle to see! Our system supports hosting both the SWF and video version of any animation.

Without further ado, here is your Best of January!

Top Five Movies

The top-ranked movie based on original material and winner of $250 is Prosnorkulus! Woohoo!

Top Five Games

Runner-Up Movies

6. SPACE WALRUS
7. Pi Ain't Yella'
8. Wii Dare U
9. Drake and Josh I Guess
10. Game Grumps - Rap Pitch
11. The Minecraft - Matrix
12. Pencilmation #30
13. Minecraft: TNA Part 13
14. PewDiePie Commenters
15. : Violent Video Games :
16. Evangelion in a Nutshell
17. Destination Death Star
18. London 1: Me and Luis
19. Skitzo-"Spare a Dime?"
20. Tom Hardy's House of Bane

Runner-Up Games

6. MOON
7. Qoosh
8. Katawa Shoujo Lite
9. 4 Walls
10. M.S.A.: Fluttertime!
11. Cool Story Bro
12. Deadly Venom - SA
13. Battle for Darkness
14. Asmosnos
15. Fractured
16. Dr Vile- The Greater Good
17. Uirdz
18. The Rose is Blooming
19. Simple Love
20. Whitney's Creampie Tavern

The voter of the month and winner of $100 is ELF-spEEd.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks for helping 2013 start with a bang!

Hope everyone in the Northeast is ready for the snow today. If you end up trapped indoors, there's always NG!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 11:36:00

I like snow, but not in February.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:07:09

so will the PM monthly voting go to highly active members who get EXP for voting on the monthly best Tom?

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:14:52

Man, 2013 looks amazing for NG; one of the best years I've been on here so far and we're not even a quarter of the way in!

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:15:01

Its only Feburary and 2013 has already been fantastic and it's all because of these great Newgrounds updates! Thank you so much Tom, and the rest of the Newgrounds staff!

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:18:53

At 2/8/13 11:33 AM, TomFulp wrote: Runner-Up Games

6. MOON

My game as the best game in January came sixth??, thanks Newgrounds, I love you!!!
However the game Cathode Raybots I like a lot, but at the same time is very difficult, congratulations Tom!

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]

[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:22:09

At 2/8/13 12:07 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: so will the PM monthly voting go to highly active members who get EXP for voting on the monthly best Tom?

If we give bonus EXP, we would have to base it on previous month's activity and not total level (or else the rich get richer). Right now you need to have a lot of EXP -and- have voted in the past month to be considered. Moving forward we could just base it on voting X times in the previous month... So a larger voting pool and more incentive to vote!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:27:27

At 2/8/13 12:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/8/13 12:07 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: so will the PM monthly voting go to highly active members who get EXP for voting on the monthly best Tom?
If we give bonus EXP, we would have to base it on previous month's activity and not total level (or else the rich get richer).

would be on B/P voting or just daily deposit and BBS? and who cares about the lesser users.

Right now you need to have a lot of EXP -and- have voted in the past month to be considered. Moving forward we could just base it on voting X times in the previous month... So a larger voting pool and more incentive to vote!

would that be B/P or daily depositing? or just go with a flat 50EXP for doing voting for the Monthly Best?

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:36:28

At 2/8/13 12:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
If we give bonus EXP, we would have to base it on previous month's activity and not total level (or else the rich get richer). Right now you need to have a lot of EXP -and- have voted in the past month to be considered. Moving forward we could just base it on voting X times in the previous month... So a larger voting pool and more incentive to vote!

A few of us have been discussing the bonus EXP idea in the Top EXP users thread as well as the Level Up Lounge. As a lot of us have been on the site for at least half a decade now (I'm close to a full decade), this new idea can be a shock to many. Generally there hasn't been a big objection to it yet but I do see some potential problems to allowing an invite to every user who deposited at least 90% of the month or whatever and that would be alt abuse. While some of us do deposit with alts (myself included, not gonna deny it), one thing for sure is that I will NOT use them to cast in the monthly voting and miss out on the bonus but I can't say the same for others. I know this might be a trivial thing but hopefully you can take the time to read what we've been saying in the aforementioned threads.

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:37:24

At 2/8/13 12:27 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: would that be B/P or daily depositing? or just go with a flat 50EXP for doing voting for the Monthly Best?

I think we would just base it on daily depositing and not blams/protects. So anyone who votes, let's say 14 days in the previous month, could have access to vote on the Best of the Month and if they do so they will get a bonus 50XP.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:38:16

At 2/8/13 12:36 PM, Bahamut wrote: A few of us have been discussing the bonus EXP idea in the Top EXP users thread as well as the Level Up Lounge. As a lot of us have been on the site for at least half a decade now (I'm close to a full decade), this new idea can be a shock to many. Generally there hasn't been a big objection to it yet but I do see some potential problems to allowing an invite to every user who deposited at least 90% of the month or whatever and that would be alt abuse. While some of us do deposit with alts (myself included, not gonna deny it), one thing for sure is that I will NOT use them to cast in the monthly voting and miss out on the bonus but I can't say the same for others. I know this might be a trivial thing but hopefully you can take the time to read what we've been saying in the aforementioned threads.

Of course I Like this ideaif you want to do EXP rewards for Monthly voting for the months best submissions it should be a tier system ONE EXP REWARD PER MONTH FOR MONTHLY VOTING for Example:

Levels 1-10: 50 EXP
Levels 10-20: 100 EXP
Levels 20-30: 150 EXP
Levels 30-40: 200 EXP
Levels 40-50: 250 EXP
Levels 50-60: 300 EXP

it could be fair and be easily adjusted and is easily compatible with the current Level system,

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:39:37

At 2/8/13 12:36 PM, Bahamut wrote: Generally there hasn't been a big objection to it yet but I do see some potential problems to allowing an invite to every user who deposited at least 90% of the month or whatever and that would be alt abuse.

Good point about alt abuse... Maybe we could come up with some other safeguards. If all else fails we could always require the user to be a supporter, although that might bum a lot of people out... The supporter system is a tempting solution to a lot of problems because it roadblocks most spamming schemes... Unless some company decided to spend tons of money to make sure their games won every month.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:40:55

Congrats to the winners.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:41:31

At 2/8/13 12:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: Good point about alt abuse... Maybe we could come up with some other safeguards. If all else fails we could always require the user to be a supporter, although that might bum a lot of people out... The supporter system is a tempting solution to a lot of problems because it roadblocks most spamming schemes... Unless some company decided to spend tons of money to make sure their games won every month.

I would agree with the Supporter idea it would halt alt abuse. it would almost be like having a premium membership. and if a company did do it it wouldn't matter because NG is making tons of money so its WIN-WIN!

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 12:59:38

do it like this:

to qualify for Montlhy Voting and the EXP reward:

1. deposit Daily for (X amount of Days) 14 days or more
2 vote for the Best of the Month submissions
3 you click a confirmation link to get your Monthly EXP reward based on your level tier:
Levels 1-10: 50 EXP
Levels 10-20: 100 EXP
Levels 20-30: 150 EXP
Levels 30-40: 200 EXP
Levels 40-50: 250 EXP
Levels 50-60: 300 EXP

and it can be adjusted accordingly also seeing as this is just a example even though this figure fits perfect with the current level numbers EXP wise. and if you are worried about people rigging the monthly submissions make this feature exclusive to Supporter Members.

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:01:57

At 2/8/13 12:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: Good point about alt abuse... Maybe we could come up with some other safeguards. If all else fails we could always require the user to be a supporter, although that might bum a lot of people out... The supporter system is a tempting solution to a lot of problems because it roadblocks most spamming schemes... Unless some company decided to spend tons of money to make sure their games won every month.

But what about the people deposit every day and all that other shit, but can't afford to get the supporter stuff? Or they can afford to but they have no way TO get it because they don't have a credit card or pay pal or anything like that?

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:06:25

At 2/8/13 01:01 PM, Viper50 wrote: But what about the people deposit every day and all that other shit, but can't afford to get the supporter stuff? Or they can afford to but they have no way TO get it because they don't have a credit card or pay pal or anything like that?

well shame on them its not hard to open a bank account and put money in it. or at least a pre-paid card you can buy at the store or best buy.

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:14:14

I don't like it when sites have features that you can only get to by paying. (That isn't just removing ads and maybe adding a bonus forum) If this is done I think there should be a lower tier supporter option that you can buy that's only about $5 and it doesn't take away the ads but it gives you the option to get the bonus experience.

At 2/8/13 01:06 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 2/8/13 01:01 PM, Viper50 wrote: But what about the people deposit every day and all that other shit, but can't afford to get the supporter stuff? Or they can afford to but they have no way TO get it because they don't have a credit card or pay pal or anything like that?
well shame on them its not hard to open a bank account and put money in it. or at least a pre-paid card you can buy at the store or best buy.

It is if you're 13.

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:14:42

At 2/8/13 12:59 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: do it like this:

to qualify for Montlhy Voting and the EXP reward:

1. deposit Daily for (X amount of Days) 14 days or more

What about this (like at least 50% deposit rating for the month) and making it so each user can only vote once, like the way voting works in the Flash Portal?

3 you click a confirmation link to get your Monthly EXP reward based on your level tier:

While I like the idea of bonus exp, the amount should be the same for everybody, regardless of level, imo.

and it can be adjusted accordingly also seeing as this is just a example even though this figure fits perfect with the current level numbers EXP wise. and if you are worried about people rigging the monthly submissions make this feature exclusive to Supporter Members.

Making it exclusive to supporters would probably solve any issues with rigging, but I just can't help but think you'd be leaving too much of the NG community out of the voting. (I don't like the idea of leaving certain aspects of NG out to users who don't have or can't afford the supporter upgrade.) :\

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:17:12

At 2/8/13 01:14 PM, Jolly wrote: I don't like it when sites have features that you can only get to by paying. (That isn't just removing ads and maybe adding a bonus forum) If this is done I think there should be a lower tier supporter option that you can buy that's only about $5 and it doesn't take away the ads but it gives you the option to get the bonus experience.

then Regulae $25 supporters should get the EXP bonus for free.

It is if you're 13.

"hey Mom and Dad I want to start a Bank Account" or go to the store and buy a general Prepaid $25 for internet use and they dont ID you for that. once again not hard.

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:20:45

At 2/8/13 01:14 PM, Metal-Therapy wrote:
What about this (like at least 50% deposit rating for the month) and making it so each user can only vote once, like the way voting works in the Flash Portal?

no what I am saying is you have to daily deposit 14 times a month to qualify for the Monthly Submission Vote (once) and you get your EXP reward (once)

While I like the idea of bonus exp, the amount should be the same for everybody, regardless of level, imo.

with the current system it works fine with the Level gaps

Making it exclusive to supporters would probably solve any issues with rigging, but I just can't help but think you'd be leaving too much of the NG community out of the voting. (I don't like the idea of leaving certain aspects of NG out to users who don't have or can't afford the supporter upgrade.) :\

that would be up to Tom but its just a issue he should consider.

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:30:40

At 2/8/13 01:06 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:

Well I technically fall into both of those. I CAN afford to get it.
But I have things that are higher priority than getting that.

At 2/8/13 01:20 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: no what I am saying is you have to daily deposit 14 times a month to qualify for the Monthly Submission Vote (once) and you get your EXP reward (once)

What about if they got to do the Monthly Vote thing if they deposited at least 14 times a month.
But if they wanted the EXP reward they HAVE TO vote every day?

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:34:09

At 2/8/13 01:20 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 2/8/13 01:14 PM, Metal-Therapy wrote: While I like the idea of bonus exp, the amount should be the same for everybody, regardless of level, imo.
with the current system it works fine with the Level gaps

Tom mentioned about not liking the rich getting richer part just before and this idea with high level users getting more EXP bonus only adds to that. The bonus should be the same regardless of what level you are or how much EXP you have. If you were to give out 300 EXP bonus for level 51+ users, they'd be through one level in just two months time as opposed to taking over a hundred days. 50 is a fair amount as it's not going to speed you through to the highest level in a short amount of time. If anything, it'll just make my progress to level 60 two months arrive two months sooner.

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:35:25

At 2/8/13 01:30 PM, Viper50 wrote: Well I technically fall into both of those. I CAN afford to get it.
But I have things that are higher priority than getting that.

then tough shit

What about if they got to do the Monthly Vote thing if they deposited at least 14 times a month.

if they got to by depositing 14 daily deposits then they get the too

But if they wanted the EXP reward they HAVE TO vote every day?

they have to vote 14 Daily deposits (which is 5 VOTES DAILY) vote for the Monthly Best then they get their EXP Reward

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:38:07

At 2/8/13 01:34 PM, Bahamut wrote: Tom mentioned about not liking the rich getting richer part just before and this idea with high level users getting more EXP bonus only adds to that. The bonus should be the same regardless of what level you are or how much EXP you have. If you were to give out 300 EXP bonus for level 51+ users, they'd be through one level in just two months time as opposed to taking over a hundred days. 50 is a fair amount as it's not going to speed you through to the highest level in a short amount of time. If anything, it'll just make my progress to level 60 two months arrive two months sooner.

like I said they could go with a flat rate of 50XP monthly or go with a tier that could be adjusted accordingly. of course I did it in denominators of 50 for the levels but do it in 25s also.

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 13:55:40

Making it just supporter available lumps the site into the whole "premium users versus regular users" category, and really just causes issues of elitism.
I think the best idea would be the instance of a flat XP bonus (50 sounds good). And how about to ensure proper support, instead of a 14 day voting period, it's extended to 21 days?

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 14:01:57

At 2/8/13 01:55 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I think the best idea would be the instance of a flat XP bonus (50 sounds good). And how about to ensure proper support, instead of a 14 day voting period, it's extended to 21 days?

14 would be fine because its practically half of a month and people still have a good chance of getting the bonus.

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 14:01:59

On an unrelated note, did any of you get a chance to play this game? It's too good to go unnoticed.

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 14:55:16

At 2/8/13 02:01 PM, Emrox wrote: On an unrelated note, did any of you get a chance to play this game? It's too good to go unnoticed.

Woah neat, I'm front paging it! Now if that was HTML5 it would be a perfect game to try on the iPad... Or they could make an app version.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2013 2013-02-08 15:03:15

so Tom when will the those changes happen?