Numi
Numi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 2/8/13 12:54 PM, MilkyChocolate wrote:
I'm currently making a sampled library out of ordinary objects (pots, pans, etc.)

Hit me up when you're done with it, I'd be interested in checking it out.

Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 04:29 PM Reply

At 2/8/13 04:08 PM, Tydusis wrote: So, in principle, I could fart in to my microphone, chop up the sample a ton, process the crap out of it, make chiptune-like music out it, and that would make my butt a wind instrument?

Technically, your intention would be to make music with the sound you recorded. So yes, you could say that because that was the original purpose, it's a musical instrument.

Now, if you casually farted no one would give a shit. Except the people around you.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 04:50 PM Reply

At 2/8/13 04:29 PM, Braiton wrote: Now, if you casually farted no one would give a shit. Except the people around you.

And your ass if you pushed too hard.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 05:21 PM Reply

At 2/8/13 04:08 PM, Tydusis wrote: So, in principle, I could fart in to my microphone, chop up the sample a ton, process the crap out of it, make chiptune-like music out it, and that would make my butt a wind instrument?

Yes, exactly that.

But please don't do it, you might start a trend.

No seriously, just don't...
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 2/8/13 05:21 PM, DJDela wrote: Yes, exactly that.

But please don't do it, you might start a trend.

No seriously, just don't...

Fartstep is about to begin, I can see it happening already.

To OP though, an instrument (imo) is anything which can make sounds (yes including VSTs and farts). I'm sure there are a lot of people who consider the larynx (voice box) to be an instrument, so why not your anus?

New electro house/complextro song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
MilkyChocolate
MilkyChocolate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Voice Actor
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 07:36 PM Reply

At 2/8/13 07:17 PM, DjAbbic wrote: so why not your anus?

That's what I'm asking you.
It seems to be the consensus, however, that the anus is an instrument.

: "Sorry, but 'FUCK.als' already exists"

BBS Signature
DylnMatrix
DylnMatrix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 07:40 PM Reply

In my eyes (or ears, to be specific), everything is music and can create music. And I really mean just about everything.

I know it wasn't a very popular or well recieved movie, but August Rush has some great examples of this. That kid created a symphony just from hearing a windchime's melody, adding the wind and a whole bunch of other stuff that I can't remember. And when he was in Times Square, everything that made noise was turning into a song, in his ears.

Silence can be considered an instrument, a breath, or yes, even a fart. It goes from there to the physical instruments, like string, brass, and percussion instruments, to the digital ones, like provided in VSTs and soundfonts.

It really depends on how you see and/or hear the world and interpret it that makes you decide what is an instrument and what isn't. That's my personal opinion.

SonicJ
SonicJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 09:21 AM Reply

I looked up a definition of instrument, and found the word tool suggested to me instead.

:A tool is any item that can be used to achieve a goal, especially if the item is not consumed in the process. Informally the word is also used to describe a procedure or process with a specific purpose.

- Wikipedia

I modified the definition, because it used the word "physical" where that severely limits the application of the word. The tools in this situation are our instruments, synthesizers, mixers and so on. Our end result is making music out of sounds, ordinary and musical alike. Blending sounds that don't quite feel great alone but perfect together. instruments are a means to the end.

I would rather ask then, where do instruments begin? What do they cover? Rather than where they end, or how we can define them. After all if you have ever seen smash , you find a great example of making music without any conventional definition of an instrument, and instead sounds from ordinary everyday objects.

Audio portal reviews : A detailed discussion and study
Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature
Knoxius
Knoxius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 10:16 AM Reply

At 2/8/13 04:09 PM, CidiousClef wrote: Whether its more or less expressive depends on the instrument itself

I just wanted to call horse shit on this real quick. It's the player, not the game.

Biggyzoom
Biggyzoom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 07:58 PM Reply

To me, the word instrument means a tool. Drills, bandsaws and manufacturing machines are instruments of carpentry while guitars, computers and old bins with sticks are instruments of music. They're all means to an end and I consider them all instruments.

CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 2/9/13 10:16 AM, Knoxius wrote:
At 2/8/13 04:09 PM, CidiousClef wrote: Whether its more or less expressive depends on the instrument itself
I just wanted to call horse shit on this real quick. It's the player, not the game.

Sure.

Whether its more or less expressive depends on the instrument. I guess I should add, that whether it expresses itself well or not depends on the player.

BBS Signature
FooRight
FooRight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 09:17 PM Reply

To start, I think OP is asking the wrong question.

To give a vague answer to OP's question however: Art/expression has no limitations. Absolutely anything can qualify as art, and this means anything can qualify as music, making computers apart of music as much as a trumpet or a volcano.

I think the question that is poking its head out in this thread is "What is the difference between live and recorded."

One has the human element, the other doesn't. One will always have subtle differences, and the other will always be unnaturally perfect.

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:58 PM Reply

At 2/8/13 10:31 AM, Breed wrote: It's probably best not to go about trying to define such a thing.....because everything can be turned into an "instrument," and this can easily lead to a discussion of what music really is which is an extremely loose term in itself as well.

Don't try to define it, just....do it......Holy shit! Nike makes so much more sense now....

That's how I think, but just to add a little to the conversation, some musicians didn't consider keyboards (electronic pianos) 'real' instruments when they first got on the scene. Today that idea sounds ridiculous to most people, but it just goes to show how radically perceptions can differ and change.

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:24 AM Reply

Anything that can make a sound is an instrument to me. The guitar just happens to be the best sounding in my opinion.

^.^

That is... *ahem* If I can mix, and master a track properly. lol.

~J

Thief1337
Thief1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 05:50 AM Reply

The artist is, by himself, the biggest and most important instrument to his own work. He's the designated spokesman of what his music is telling us.

The instrument ends where the artist does. He does his job on this planet, leaves his mark and rests in peace.

It's not about the musical instrument; one can be a very skilled guitar player and play the most complex theoretical-mathematical-orchestral-classical songs, but if he has nothing in mind, no vision of his own, then he has nothing to tell to the rest of the world and therefore he cannot create (art).

There's no artist where there's no originality. Each story has a unique symphony and rhythm : if you can give it a unique form, make it shine up and down and bring us through its radiance, then you've made a true work of art. Only an artist can be such an instrument for such creative work.

If one cannot guide the rest of the world with his music, then he's the instrument for nothing. It's just a playful thought, a hobby and not a life purpose.

I have total respect for someone who admits that than someone who pretends to be an artist, sell his trivial crap on bandcamp and promotes it all over the place like 95% of the people I see on the Internet.

p.s. I don't give a flying fuck about your opinion. Take it or leave it, you bunch of robotic pseudo-intellectual self-feeding marketing business-interested freaks !

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious." - Carl Gustav Jung
Native Instruments' Komplete 8 for free !

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Where does 'instrument' end.. Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 11:35 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 09:17 PM, FooRight wrote: To start, I think OP is asking the wrong question.

To give a vague answer to OP's question however: Art/expression has no limitations. Absolutely anything can qualify as art, and this means anything can qualify as music, making computers apart of music as much as a trumpet or a volcano.

I think the question that is poking its head out in this thread is "What is the difference between live and recorded."

One has the human element, the other doesn't. One will always have subtle differences, and the other will always be unnaturally perfect.

This dude has the best post ever. You said what I want to say. The creation of musical instrument has no limitation. Those who believes 'standard' instruments is 'instrument' can go back to cave man era and ask tell them the same idiotic matters.