00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

what am I doing wrong?

3,937 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-07 16:34:11

i find it's good to draw something you like, compare it to a few things which are similar and then work on from there.

for example if i draw a person, and then notice the head isn't that great. i'll look at other people's methods and try to adapt my own way.

i think it's best to just draw as much as you can and to enjoy it.

also i didn't read most of the other comments so i'm probably just repeating them and i'm not really a great "artist" so i don't want to be critical over something i don't completely understand.

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-08 05:01:18

someone once explained to me that everything is made of your basic shapes...i always try to warm up with them....by drawing millions of triangles, squares, and circles every day I found the confidence I needed to tackle more complicated crap.
they seem less intimidating to me, if not boring, because they are just building blocks...the biggest challenge I face now is just picking up my pencil.

i guess it can be fatiguing to work really hard for a couple hours at something, to see very little progress. but, if you KNOW you are practicing, intending it so...and not just having a good time, then it's improvement, I think.

i'm not even a decent artist, yet, i still have to work from reference when practicing anatomy. i just know that i drew a shitty skull one day and said "I want to do better".

*citation needed

BBS Signature

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-08 10:10:30

You need confidence, because you have the passion (it's the thing telling you that you want to better than what you are).

I started digitally, but I'd recommend any artist go the easy route and research traditional basics prior to creating anything but illustration on a graphics tablet. This tablet works wonders but your workspace is crucial and a digital one, especially connected to the internet, is going to throw off focus. When I'm doing anything digitally creative I turn off my wi-fi switch.

I always carry a Memorax everywhere in my pocket. There are times you sit to draw but can't think of anything. That's because inspiration comes with your daily exploration so any time you see something and you say "wow that'd be cool if it looked like this instead", jot down the idea (I like to add notes about any techniques I might need to use.

Research is important, in the beginning it took equal as long as the commission. As I produce more, things become ritual and require less time.

A basic drawing set, geometric shape and still life drawing, using only micro circles to shade instead of trying to go side to side, quality materials, and some books on anatomy should do you good. Start copying things from life, keep these as studies. Try to copy photographs exactly as they look when you're dedicating time to art but balance doing creative art for yourself as well. Good luck!

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-10 01:30:11

At 2/8/13 10:10 AM, ChildSafetyLid wrote: You need confidence, because you have the passion (it's the thing telling you that you want to better than what you are).

What is this.. con fye dense you speak of?

I started digitally, but I'd recommend any artist go the easy route and research traditional basics prior to creating anything but illustration on a graphics tablet. This tablet works wonders but your workspace is crucial and a digital one, especially connected to the internet, is going to throw off focus. When I'm doing anything digitally creative I turn off my wi-fi switch.

Turning off my internet signal wile drawing.... interesting

I always carry a Memorax everywhere in my pocket. There are times you sit to draw but can't think of anything. That's because inspiration comes with your daily exploration so any time you see something and you say "wow that'd be cool if it looked like this instead", jot down the idea (I like to add notes about any techniques I might need to use.

Research is important, in the beginning it took equal as long as the commission. As I produce more, things become ritual and require less time.

I'll look for more sources, then.

A basic drawing set, geometric shape and still life drawing, using only micro circles to shade instead of trying to go side to side, quality materials, and some books on anatomy should do you good. Start copying things from life, keep these as studies. Try to copy photographs exactly as they look when you're dedicating time to art but balance doing creative art for yourself as well. Good luck!

You just reminded me on a DVD that teaches you how to draw from photographs....I should look into that

At 2/8/13 05:01 AM, PoisonHeart wrote: someone once explained to me that everything is made of your basic shapes...i always try to warm up with them....by drawing millions of triangles, squares, and circles every day I found the confidence I needed to tackle more complicated crap.

I actually love drawing geometric shapes. That's what I based my two main characters on.

they seem less intimidating to me, if not boring, because they are just building blocks...the biggest challenge I face now is just picking up my pencil.

i guess it can be fatiguing to work really hard for a couple hours at something, to see very little progress. but, if you KNOW you are practicing, intending it so...and not just having a good time, then it's improvement, I think.

I don't mind if I get tired, as long as I'm making progress.

i'm not even a decent artist, yet, i still have to work from reference when practicing anatomy. i just know that i drew a shitty skull one day and said "I want to do better".

I love drawing skeletons. Cartoon skeletons. I have no idea why.

I'm Del Rio

I like to draw comics and stuff

My Art Thread

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-10 01:32:40

At 2/7/13 04:34 PM, mega-supreme wrote: i find it's good to draw something you like, compare it to a few things which are similar and then work on from there.

"Draw what YOU want to draw" - Akira Toriyama

for example if i draw a person, and then notice the head isn't that great. i'll look at other people's methods and try to adapt my own way.

i think it's best to just draw as much as you can and to enjoy it.

also i didn't read most of the other comments so i'm probably just repeating them and i'm not really a great "artist" so i don't want to be critical over something i don't completely understand.

You actually didn't repeat what they said, at all.
Thank you for your input.

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-14 19:29:17

At 2/6/13 09:08 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 2/6/13 08:43 PM, Tomsan wrote: Talent Factor
meh, I don't Believe in talent. Its all skill based. Put in the time and effort, and you can become pretty damn good. No one starts good, you have to work for it. and work hard.
I admit I have seen some people who seem to be a natural at thing, but usually after discussing things with them, that always seem to have been at "IT" what ever "IT" may be for a long time, some times even from an very early age.

And my Job proves this for me at least. I don't particularly see my self as a great artist, or talented at all, but I am making a living from doing graphic arts at a decal and sign shop, and I am certainly better at my job now than I was 3 months ago. My boss, an 89 year old artist, has been taking the time to show me tricks and teaching me skills to improve my designs and layouts.
So being a good or even great graphic artist, or artist in general can be learned, trained and honed as a skill, not given to you at birth....
Yeah, I know not the time or the place for this kind of wall text... but.. eh what evers

I'd agree with this to about 85%. Some people are just going to have an innate ability to understand perspective better, and most (if not all) of drawing is primarily based on perspective. Even lighting, etc, lends itself to a keen eye on perspective and the way things occupy space. If everything is black (or white), the artist is drawing lines in that space and using those lines to represent a shape that isn't there. You can train until you're blue in the face, but that 15% "talent" (or, innate understanding of how to delineate and discern perspective), is probably something we're born into.

I am in the 85% category with the above poster. I've been able to lean exclusively (for the most part) on digital interfaces, and so now can create some pretty decent artwork. In fact, if you didn't know I wasn't an artist, you'd probably think I am one! haha But I use a crap ton of reference and you a crap ton of digital *stuff* including all manners of 3D programs, PS, Flash, et al to get a final product that simply could not exist without those digital products being available.

So, figure out what you want to be good at, specifically, and then "fake it til you make it", basically. There's a hundred different tools out there. And practice will help. But in this day and age, the tools can make up for a considerable amount.

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-16 00:16:54

Patience is what you need! I know because I had this same issue. When it comes to drawing! Time is the only friend you have. The more time you put into drawing, the more you'll get out and the faster you'll improve. Studying is great but don't be so consumed by it that you don't actually DRAW anything! (because you've tired yourself out from reading.) Practice, Practice, Practice. Be sure to PRACTICE whatever techniques you read about also. And don't be hard on yourself either. Instead of saying "My art looks like crap." Say "After I finish this drawing, I'll be one step closer to my goal of becoming a better artist." There is no secret to drawing...You just do it or you don't!!......lol!!

I hope this helps and I'm not too late but I enjoyed reading what others wrote on this subject.

Jesus Saves!!

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-16 00:25:21

A book I'd suggest you read though is"Drawing From Within: Unleashing Your Creative Potential by Nick Meglin"
It's a great bookthat talks about how to overcome artist blocks, and to just draw for the fun of drawing, don't try to impress anyone with your art. Do it for your own reasons. Draw for yourself and not others.

its worth the read, I found it at a local library. :)

Buy it on Amazon Here!!

Jesus Saves!!

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-17 05:40:47

At 2/6/13 03:45 PM, DelRio1991 wrote: I don't get it, everything I draw, I feel like it looks like crap.

Like, this thing that I drew. It looks so flat and lifeless.

What am I doing wrong here?

I'm not fishing for compliments, I really need some constructive criticism, I want to go into graphic design, but I'm not going to get anywhere with my stuff looking like a retarded 12 years old kid did it.

Well everything just seems off to me man. The arms look too short, the legs are weird and so do the hands. But that's ok because you want to be better at drawing and you have a lot of room for improvement. I've been drawing since I was about 8 years old and I took an art class pretty much every year since I've been in school and I've spent countless hours just drawing and studying drawing. I've read books, watched videos and asked people for tips on how to draw some things.
So some things you can do to improve is to: draw constantly. Seriously bring a sketchbook where ever you go. I always have a small sketchbook in my schoolbag.
Read some books about figure drawing and drawing from life. You could probably Google it and read it for free on a website or find where you can get the books for a good price.
Watch some tutorials on YouTube. I know Jazza has a channel called "Drawing with Jazza" and he goes over all kinds of things like how to draw men and women, facial expressions and a whole bunch of other helpful stuff. I watch it and it has helped me out a lot.
I hope this helps man. Don't give up :)

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-17 09:23:27

At 2/7/13 02:54 PM, DelRio1991 wrote: So, how can I improve from this?

Do it more

Remember, every shitty drawing you do is a step closer to doing great work. Think of people learning piano - they're gonna hit a lot of bum notes, but sometimes they're better off repeating it over and over before asking someone 'was that right?'

Practice and understand

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-18 22:40:12

umm im not an expert about drawn or any super exellent drawing, i might to say im in you level, but you can improve more about your self, i talk with a cousin who is a super cool drawing (she draw like in 9 years and still do it fucking great) and she tell me that the secret is moving you hand, make circles, make lines (horizontal, vertical),trace designs and she tell me an book of calligraphy can help.

And everything that she tell me, i never get in practice; IM FUCKING LAZY.

Response to what am I doing wrong? 2013-02-19 13:23:28

And everything that she tell me, i never get in practice; IM FUCKING LAZY.

I've actually been practicing more since I started this thread, I also posted a new thread with a batman drawing I did, noone has responded to it, though.

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread