New Topic Respond to this Topic
JasonHebert1
JasonHebert1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Assembling flash game team 2013-02-06 01:53:11 Reply

Hello, all. This is my first post on Newgrounds. I found out about the site from a co-worker when I told him of my idea to put together a crew for a flash game i had in mind.

A little about me:

I've been a writer my whole life, poems, short stories, eventually graduating to screenplays. This is my first stab at a video game. Gaming was my first love as a child until i abandoned it in my late teens for other pursuits. 10 years passed and now the fire is once again burning so I've returned to gaming and I'm about a week away from completing the story/design of the game.

As I'm new to this, I'm not quite sure what qualifes for what, so when i say design, i mean the concepts for the game mechanics, level ideas, story, etc.

I need programmers and artists to help bring this to life. I feel I have something truly special that can go really far, and I need a team of people dedicated to it for the long haul.

Please respond if you're an artist and/or designer that is interested in taking on a new project.

Thanks for your time!

Dandalero
Dandalero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-06 18:51:16 Reply

meh, you need more than just that to get dedicated programmers and artists to work for your ideas ... even noobs will spit in your face!

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-06 19:00:46 Reply

At 2/6/13 06:51 PM, Dandalero wrote: meh, you need more than just that to get dedicated programmers and artists to work for your ideas ... even noobs will spit in your face!

You could have said that in a much more civilized manner.

Chongo
Chongo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Voice Actor
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-06 21:11:13 Reply

At 2/6/13 07:00 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 2/6/13 06:51 PM, Dandalero wrote: meh, you need more than just that to get dedicated programmers and artists to work for your ideas ... even noobs will spit in your face!
You could have said that in a much more civilized manner.

But would that have gotten his attention

For you, OP, you have a good cause. You want to make games, which is great. But you need more than programmers and artists to make a game. First of all, you do need a solid idea. Not just "Hey I want to make a game". You need an idea to latch onto.

What you need for a successful game:
Programmers
Artists
Animators
Voice Actors (optional)
Musicians
Writers (if you want for there to be a story behind it)

And they all need to be dedicated. It's tough work and I wish you the best in future endeavors.

Always willing to voice act. Make music in my freetime. That's what I get for not having Flash

Click the pic to see the cool stuff I do on the Youtubes

BBS Signature
Sparkley
Sparkley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-06 22:27:21 Reply

A good first game would be something along the lines of Pac-Man, just for an example.

It's simple, it's fun, it doesn't need a story, and the old rule holds true: better graphics doesn't mean better game.

A good flash game that also illustrates this is "Help the Hero" by the-xp (I believe that's his user). Minus the better graphics bit, this game is simple and fun.

I hope this helped, and I really do hope that you get on your way to making a game.

Mmm. Oh, yeah. That's good. That's a nice apple.

JasonHebert1
JasonHebert1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-08 00:28:40 Reply

Thanks for the replie (most, anyways). I probably wasn't as flear, or thorough, as I should have been.

I'm far beyond "hey, i want to make a game". While this will be my first GAME, i have years of experience as a screenwriter. The story I have absolutely blows away the majority of what is out there commercially, much less the indie scene. The story is of a high enough caliber, I believe, to grab the interest of the correct people on it's own merits.

I also am very aware that it takes more than artists and programmers to make the game, but I am only at the very early stages and was looking for some people to submit some concept art, and to get a feel for some programmers as I know not one.

Of what you listed, I am the writer, as listed in the original post, and it's far from the stage of needing voice actors (I know plenty of talentedd voice actors that are already on board and will pay for any other needed talent in this area). Im ignorant of the process, but was also assuming animators werent necessary until the artists create the art for them to animate.

As I did not sportsn a groupat deal of time on the OP, maybe I did not come across as I should have. Everyone seems to have taken it as "Games r awsome i wanna make one!"

I am 29 years old and Ive put together, financed and directed both movies and music in the past. This is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to get involved in a serious project.

I hope I was more clear in this response. This is going to be a great project, guys, I just need some help. I have some awesome, originals ideas for not only story, but game mechanics.

Serious inquiries only. No disrespect is necessary.

kmau
kmau
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-08 06:09:26 Reply

I recommend you to give some more details to help convince people to work on it. Examples would be genre (so programmers know what they are getting themselves into), setting (no need to post the whole story, just what's necessary) and maybe even general art style (Pixels, vectors, 8-bit, 16-bit etc.).

BBS Signature
JasonHebert1
JasonHebert1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-08 17:24:32 Reply

That sounds great.

I'd love to discuss the basics of my game, and here is a good starting point:

I think a good question to answer would be:

"With all the people on here wanting to work on projects, why should I care about yours?"

It's a fair question, especially with nobody on this site knowing me from a hole in the wall. And there are 3 reasons.

1) Quality- The story is very good. While I have little experience in the gaming world, I do know the film world, and the one thing I know is that if you create a good enough story, directors, actors, etc. will come. Everyone likes their name attached to quality projects. I will go into the basics of the story below, and while I can't tell the entire thing yet for obvious reasons, I'm willing to link other projects of mine as a point of reference. On top of story, I have some really cool game mechanic ideas that I haven't seen done before. The project is unique.

2) I take my work very seriously. There is a reason I've been pretty vague so far. I don't want to be throwing ideas out there for everyone to grab and take for themselves, because this is very important to me. While I have everything copyrighted, there still are enough unique features I'd prefer to only tell people once a working relationship is established. I am not just a young kid that thinks it'd be cool to make a game, I am an older, responsible adult who wants to see this brain child of his fully realized. I complete every job I start and see them through til the end. I don't bail when things get tough. Again, I can provide links to other projects. It is always good to have someone on the team that cares about the project as much as I do and is willing to do what is needed to get it completed.

3) There will be some money to be made. Another thing I didn't just throw out at first, because I don't have a TON of money to be throwing out there on a weekly basis. What I DO have is enough money to help out with those who are contributing to the project. It's always cool to get paid for your work. Like I said, I don't have the kind of money to be giving it to everyone who submits something, but let's say I get some really good concept art and we agree to move forward then sure, let's talk about a little money. Also, I have the money to actually market this thing and get it in the right peoples' hands. I want this to be as big as it can be, and everyone involved will obviously benefit.

So, those are my reasons as to why it would be good to be involved in this project. Again, I'm new here. Nobody knows me. The creation process on this is going to start soon so it's going to have to be a bit of a leap of faith on your part. If I don't seem like someone you'd like to work with, then you can go on your way. If I do, and you have the talent to contribute to this, then let's talk business.

A little about my game:

My game is an 2d top-down Action/Adventure game with light RPG elements. It is a story-driven game where puzzles are the primary mechanic. There will be a good amount of combat, but it will play a backseat to the puzzles.

The most unique feature of my game is what I'm calling a "character management" feature. While I can't fully explain it here, it basically involves doing much more than avoiding getting hit by enemies to survive. Your character is an alien who has crash landed on this planet and the environment is naturally hostile to his system, so there are things you must do to keep him from death, aside from avoiding being hit by enemies. On top of this mechanic is a unique "character building" mechanic, which is a twist on traditional level building and skill trees. The combination of the characer management and character building mechanics makes for a ton of fun in a way that hasn't been done before.

The general story is that you are a bounty hunter who has captured an intergalactic conman. As the game opens up, your ship crashes on Earth. When you awaken from the ship crash (after being in a coma for a period of time), you learn your hostage has escaped to a nearby kingdom and is now being hailed as a god. Throughout the game, your primary objective is to hunt him down, recapture him, and deliver him to get your money. Your main character is a little bad ass alien dude that is a kind of anti-hero with a "I just want my money" attitude.

This is the basic premise, but like any big story, it opens up and evolves into something much bigger than what it started at. This game has a good story and cool play mechanics. I have a very good grip on what I want out of it, yet I am open to ideas from the team. I have just enough money to put behind it to not only make it worth your while, while you are making it, but also to put it in a position to get us industry recognition and make some serious money.

Hopefully this puts things into a better perspective. If you feel you have better projects to work on, then by all means I wish you the best on those endeavours. But, if you are passing this one up because you think it is poorly thought out and doesn't have much potential, then I promise you are making a big mistake. I am open to any questions/comments, etc. at this point, so fire away.

-Jay

JasonHebert1
JasonHebert1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-08 17:28:42 Reply

One last thing I forgot to mention!

About the art style.. I am open to ideas. Art is not one of my strengths. I am a huge fan of SNES-esque 16-bit sprites. There is an indie game I really enjoyed the art style of called "Owlboy". If it's realistic I wouldn't mind something along those lines. I also thought "The Binding of Isaac" had cool art, kind of clean and simple.

I believe the art should match the tone/feel of the game, so I am open to seeing different styles and seeing if they fit. I would PROBABLY rule out 8-bit and go with 16-bit, unless I was to see something that was compelling enough to draw me in that direction.

TheB055
TheB055
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-09 23:08:58 Reply

I could be your artist...

ronk
ronk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-14 17:32:35 Reply

"how big of a project?" is probably what a lot of people are wondering. How many hours of gameplay do you think this game will have? It sounds like a huge project, which will scare away a lot of people.

JasonHebert1
JasonHebert1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-15 13:44:31 Reply

Hi Ronk,

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry I've been pretty cryptic about certain things, I've just been hesitant to release info to people who aren't on board, which I know, in turn, makes it hard for some people to decide if they want to BE on board.

While this particular thread hasn't gone well, I've received a good amount of PM's from people interested in the game, and am very grateful to the NG community for the response. I actually have a programmer already working on a build, and am talking with a couple artists, although I don't have any locked in, yet.

But, of course, am still looking for people of various talents to contribute.

------

A little about the game:

The game is 12 levels. It is hard to judge gameplay time because one of the mechanics of the game is a perspective switch, which is already being implemented. This is similar to Paper Mario's switch from 2d to 3d, except you are switching from a 2d platformer to a top-down view, ala Link to the Past. Of the 12 levels, 5 are full side scrollers, 4 are full top-down view, and the rest are mixed. The perspective switch isn't exactly a new idea, but it's being done in a unique way. Combat and action sequences are primarily handled in the 2d perspective, whereas puzzle solving takes place in the top down. Top down levels will be about the length of your typical Zelda dungeon.

There are 4 main mechanics I've thought up and implemented as the base of the game. The 1st of them is your common level-building, except it has a slight twist on it. The 2nd is the perspective switch. The 3rd is a simple combat mechanic that I've never personally seen, and the 4th is kinda like my shining achievement that I feel will seperate the game from anything else out there. Again, I don't want to get into too many details unless someone is genuinely interested in coming on board, but it involves Character Management, and has the player having to do a lot more to manage his character besides "dont get hit by an enemy or fall down a pit".

The environments are pretty typical: Valley, Castle, Graveyard, Cave, etc. While the environments are typical, the story is top notch. It is deep, long and engaging. Story sequences take place between every level in little "cutscenes". Cutscenes are not specially animated events, but rather watching the characters moving around the native top-down or sidescroller environments and talking via text blocks, such as Final Fantasy 2 or 3 on SNES.

What I feel seperates the game is the unique mechanic I've thought up, and the way it blends with the other play mechanics. I feel it creates a very unique playstyle. With a quality story on top of it, and myself as dedicated to making the game as good as it can be, you can rest assured knowing you are getting into a worthwhile project.

I welcome PM's if you are interested.

Thank you.

-Jay

VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Assembling flash game team 2013-02-15 21:25:44 Reply

The switching between platformer and overhead adventure sounds like a game called "Tombi!" for the PSX and it worked very well. Best of luck with your project, I look forward to hearing more!