Megamannt92
Megamannt92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 10:59 AM, wandschrank wrote:
At 2/6/13 10:57 AM, Megamannt92 wrote: Here are some pictures of my space. As you can see; its full of crap. It isn't great, I don't know what I could do to improve it.
It's perfect, you have Avocados and a ghetto blaster!

Ghetto blaster?

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 12:43 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 12:40 PM, Megamannt92 wrote:
At 2/6/13 10:59 AM, wandschrank wrote:
At 2/6/13 10:57 AM, Megamannt92 wrote: Here are some pictures of my space. As you can see; its full of crap. It isn't great, I don't know what I could do to improve it.
It's perfect, you have Avocados and a ghetto blaster!
Ghetto blaster?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boombox

Megamannt92
Megamannt92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 01:11 PM Reply

Ah the boombox! Yeah my Dad bought that, I don't use it much.

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

Twune
Twune
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 02:38 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 04:15 PM, Breed wrote:

First mistake in getting a room treated is the placement of your desk/speakers. In an ideal situation they should be in the exact center of the room, but nobody does that cuz they probably want other things in that room (maybe a bed? a chair? instruments? whatever), so the best you can do is to put it in the center of at least one wall. Don't put that shit in a corner, and Don't put it up against a window.

T

I've always known the monitoring position to be 1/2 side-to-side, 1/3 (or 1/5) of the length front-to-back.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 07:18 PM Reply

Well the clutter in that space provides both some downfalls and some good stuff. For one, anything in there that resonates will resonate. So anything with thin hard material can cause weird stuff to be boosted or distorted, but for the most part that stuff will simply diffuse and in some cases absorb higher end frequencies. Its the hard flat surface that will cause the most trouble. You might want to consider building baffles around your mixing area, but for the most part a few bass traps are still going to be the best thing you can do for that space because like I said...bass traps will also absorb high end.

However, considering the size of the room, it won't be a small task to improve the acoustics dramatically, but definitely start by getting some intense bass traps and maybe some carpeting for that super reflective floor. It doesnt have to look pretty, just functionally reduce flutter echo and coupling.

At 2/6/13 02:38 PM, Twune wrote:
I've always known the monitoring position to be 1/2 side-to-side, 1/3 (or 1/5) of the length front-to-back.

Well every space is different, and nobody puts their desk straight up in the center of the room. But the idea is that by creating equidistant walls either on one of more sides, you are making it possible to more accurately predict reflections and therefore more easily treat the problems. The closer to the center of the room, the more so this helps. Getting it right on at least one pair of walls is about all that is practically needed though. The 1/3rd thing is just a measure to make sure you dont put your desk right up against a wall which is a no no.

Twune
Twune
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 07:57 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 07:18 PM, Breed wrote: The 1/3rd thing is just a measure to make sure you dont put your desk right up against a wall which is a no no.

No, there's science behind it. It's not just a 'get it off the wall' thing. My best, sorely uneducated, guess is it has at least partially to do with standing waves and frequency cancelation (it's been a long time since college and applied acoustics).

Twune
Twune
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 08:09 PM Reply

Here's something much more helpful than my feeble attempts:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar02/articles/monitors.asp

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 09:16 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 07:57 PM, Twune wrote:
At 2/6/13 07:18 PM, Breed wrote: The 1/3rd thing is just a measure to make sure you dont put your desk right up against a wall which is a no no.
No, there's science behind it.

Yeah, the science is that without treatment, being the absolute center of a room causes more trouble then good...which is more or less what I said =P

But yeah, without treatment, getting the sides right is the only must. Thats because without them you have no stereo image at all (+1 for the article having that info too). Getting the others right however actually DOES improve stereo imaging even more, but it causes other problems that outweigh that most of the time. But if those problems are all accurately addressed, guess what? Now you have both good reflection control, AND ideal stereo imaging.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 10:21 PM Reply

This thread should be renamed "my mixes suck and im blaming my room"

come at me
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 10:35 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 10:21 PM, jpbear wrote: This thread should be renamed "my mixes suck and im blaming my room"

come at me

I'll just quote myself since you apparently missed my last response to you:

"If the goal is create a great piece of music, then you have to address this among many issues. This is just one particular thing that gets ignored and it shouldnt be."

rockit1
rockit1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 06:57 PM Reply

I'm not an acoustician, I'm asmusician and sound engineer..but I've written a tutorial on setting up monitors in a small studio. It covers the basics of positioning and acoustic treatment, and som eof you may find it to be a helpful read because it not only gives you som eideas of what to do, but also why to do it. Here's a link. Hope it's helpful:

http://rocksuresoundz.com/2013/02/11/monitor-speakers-and-se tting-up-a-small-studio-control-room-or-edit-suite/

rockit1
rockit1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 2/11/13 06:57 PM, rockit1 wrote:

Sorry about the typing errors in my post. I'm a clumsy typer......How can I edit my posts to fix them?

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 11:19 PM Reply

At 2/11/13 07:01 PM, rockit1 wrote:
At 2/11/13 06:57 PM, rockit1 wrote:
Sorry about the typing errors in my post. I'm a clumsy typer......How can I edit my posts to fix them?

Editing posts on Newgrounds?

Heresy!

MilkyChocolate
MilkyChocolate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Voice Actor
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 11:41 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 10:21 PM, jpbear wrote: This thread should be renamed "my mixes suck and im blaming my room"

come at me

Sounds like someone has bad mixes.

The thread isn't about complaining, it's about improving. I personally learned a lot from it, and discovered some useful tools.

Grow up.

: "Sorry, but 'FUCK.als' already exists"

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 2/11/13 11:41 PM, MilkyChocolate wrote:

come at me
Sounds like someone has bad mixes.

The thread isn't about complaining, it's about improving. I personally learned a lot from it, and discovered some useful tools.
Grow up.

wow, someone's wearing their cranky pants today!
jp's mixes are top notch btw

p.s. i am gay

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 10:42 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 05:16 PM, Breed wrote:
At 2/5/13 04:46 PM, MilkyChocolate wrote:

Don't put [you computer] up against a window.
____But why? The wall I want to put it against has a large window right in the middle, I love to be able to see outside whle I work.
Windows are particular reflective of sound, and they also are much harder to treat. If its your only choice, then oh well cuz theres a lot of places in a non treated room that need help besides right behind your desk. Although for a mixing desk, the wall behind you is probably the most important.

I'd like to add that this same thing applies if you have giant mirrors (or any mirrors). I, for instance, have closet doors that are faced in their entirety with mirrors and because of spatial constraints and the positioning of the electrical outlet I have to place my desk right next to these fucking things. Please don't do that, people. (It's a good thing we're moving soon)

Second, get those speakers off the desk.
___My desk is actually very large and standing-height, so they're positioned perfectly, is there any other reason to not have them sit on the desk, or is that just because most desks are low?
When I say get them off your desk, I mean getting them isolated from the desk. Just dont place them directly on the desk, put some little pads under them so the desk doesnt resonate. You can keep them located on the desk, just not directly, make sense?

The cheapest way to do that nicely I'd think would be to put some nice rubber coaster pads under them.

In any case, I was wondering if I could hang my speakers on the wall at ear height with some padding behind them so they don't vibrate (the fuckers) and also so I can position them into triangular harmony with my ears. By that last bit I mean that I'd do something so they wouldn't lie flat on the wall, but angle them inward into a triangle.

It'd be pretty wicked, if you had the desk in the center of the room, if you suspended the speakers from the ceiling.

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 11:50 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 10:42 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: It'd be pretty wicked, if you had the desk in the center of the room, if you suspended the speakers from the ceiling.

At the tech college I went to they had a studio set up to do ADR jobs for film students, and the speakers were hung from little rafters like you would a bunch of stage lights. It was pretty rad.

The room itself was pretty weird though, it had a control room at the front, then the recording space was shared with the protools system & console in the center, but then stepped down into tiers sort of like an amphitheatre. Wacky!

p.s. i am gay

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 12:00 AM Reply

At 2/12/13 09:53 PM, midimachine wrote:
wow, someone's wearing their cranky pants today!
jp's mixes are top notch btw

Thx bby :}

people need to take everything i say 75% less seriously lol

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Acoustics -- You're Doing It Wrong Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 12:57 AM Reply

At 2/13/13 12:00 AM, jpbear wrote:
people need to take everything i say 75% less seriously lol