Be a Supporter!
benjadaninja
benjadaninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Buda Quotes... Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 12:33 AM Reply

Recently a friend posted a quote from Buda on Facebook: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." Now I get the metaphor of this, anger is self destructive, but it got me thinking that I really don't get how it logically makes sense. If you throw a hot coal at someone, they will obviously be burned as well.

Hmmm.
Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Buda Quotes... Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 12:36 AM Reply

Ok no. You pick it up it is too hot to even hold, nevermind through. You will burn your hand off.

いないいないばあ

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Buda Quotes... Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 01:00 AM Reply

I love that one.

Holding onto anger. Holding onto the hot coal. You hold onto them with ill intentions but only end up hurting yourself.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Buda Quotes... Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 01:59 AM Reply

...It's spelled Buddha.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Buda Quotes... Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 02:09 AM Reply

Benja, this kid looks like you

Buda Quotes...

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Buda Quotes... Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 02:14 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 12:33 AM, benjadaninja wrote: Now I get the metaphor of this, anger is self destructive, but it got me thinking that I really don't get how it logically makes sense.

Intepreting metaphors literally inevitably leads to confusion, regardless of source.

Chrausner
Chrausner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Buda Quotes... Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 02:23 AM Reply

Well, when you're angry, you do burn yourself mentally. Everyone knows how anger feels like, right? It's not an enjoyable feeling.

Of course, you can inflict damage upon someone else with your anger (which is why it implied that you can "throw the hot coal at someone else"), but it will not always happen - and your anger may not always inflict damage, thus you're the one suffering most of the time (or maybe the entire time). The damage inflicted on a foreign being by one's anger is far weaker than the damage that the protagonist is mentally receiving from his anger.

| Level 23 | Captain | Deity Whistle | DnB Producer
MLP: FiM Crew - Elite Guard Barracks - AF Lounge
Be my friend and you'll receive a cookie. ^____^

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Buda Quotes... Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 03:18 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 12:33 AM, benjadaninja wrote: I really don't get how it logically makes sense. If you throw a hot coal at someone, they will obviously be burned as well.

he's not saying that violence won't cause others to get hurt

he's just saying that anger hurts you before it hurts others

notably that violent emotions are the product of errors in judgement, similar to stoicisim

(violence is still OKAY/promoted in buddhism as long as it's brahmanic direct action and disinterested tho)

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Buda Quotes... Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 03:19 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 12:33 AM, benjadaninja wrote: Recently a friend posted a quote from Buda on Facebook: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." Now I get the metaphor of this, anger is self destructive, but it got me thinking that I really don't get how it logically makes sense. If you throw a hot coal at someone, they will obviously be burned as well.

The intent of throwing a hot coal, so the quote doesn't signify that you actually throw the coal, you just burn yourself through hatred. If you actually do throw the coal, the person you throw it at will obviously beat you up, and leave you in a much worse state than you already are, burned and scared for life, so what the quote is really saying is: don't bring a knife to a gunfight. IOW, don't bring a burning coal when you could bring a burning soul so cold it's hurling stones.