New Topic Respond to this Topic
hostileburritos
hostileburritos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Contest for noobies? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:45 PM Reply

So it has came to my attention that many of us who are relatively new to production would love to take part in these big contests but they are usually overrun by entrants who range from professional industry to those who have many years of practice, study and application with music.

Well not to say someone with one or two years of experience can't get to that level, it just seems that all these contests, there is no place for us.

Personally I only have about 2 years under my belt and I am not that great, but I am working towards it.

Does anyone think they could possibly organize a contest like this? and is there anyone willing to judge it?

Thoughts? I think this would help some of the newer and less experienced artists on here get some motivation and inspiration pumping.

Fellow audio noobs unite!

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 09:45 PM, hostileburritos wrote: So it has came to my attention that many of us who are relatively new to production would love to take part in these big contests but they are usually overrun by entrants who range from professional industry to those who have many years of practice, study and application with music.

Well not to say someone with one or two years of experience can't get to that level, it just seems that all these contests, there is no place for us.

Personally I only have about 2 years under my belt and I am not that great, but I am working towards it.

Does anyone think they could possibly organize a contest like this? and is there anyone willing to judge it?

Thoughts? I think this would help some of the newer and less experienced artists on here get some motivation and inspiration pumping.

I have half a year more experience than you in sequencing and I'm considered a n00b compared to the other three winners of Dreams of Splendour (what with my horrible mixing), but I still made it. Question is, are you willing to push yourself to that level?

What is this contest going to be? One of mediocre submissions? Come on, even the newer users tried, and some of them fared pretty well.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 11:00 PM Reply

Sounds like a good idea, though I don't know who would start it or sponsor it etc...

Hopefully they will see this and maybe pick up on it. I'd love to help in any way I can, I don't know if I would qualify to start something though.

I'm all for this, it sounds like it could really help out.

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 11:27 PM Reply

The only way you get better is to compete against the best. You get nowhere by only competing against people who aren't any better than you are.

You might not win, but you'll gain valuable experience, which can't be said if you aren't forced to put your all into it.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 11:30 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 09:45 PM, hostileburritos wrote: So it has came to my attention that many of us who are relatively new to production would love to take part in these big contests but they are usually overrun by entrants who range from professional industry to those who have many years of practice, study and application with music.

Well just do like iv been doing for the past 5 months, keep entering every contest you can to gain experience and to get noted... although im usually completely crushed under the hands of "professional industry to those who have many years of practice, study and application with music" i get to learn a lot by listening to their songs. Also some of them leave really useful reviews in your work if you do the same for them.
And while i do believe you should enter every single contest you are probably demotivated by the skill showed in "Dreams of Splendor", don't be, Bosa had a 1st prize of 100 dollars and that is something completely out of the ordinary on NG....or actually pretty much anywhere you could enter for free...that made a lot of giant names produce giant songs and most of the contests in NG have a lot less contestants and obviously not as many sharks.
Out of curiosity..how would people even prove they were noob enough for the contest? xD

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 05:31 AM Reply

Out of curiosity..how would people even prove they were noob enough for the contest? xD

1. Start a new project in FL Studio and don't change the Limiter on the master track.
2. Only use the standard FL kick, snare, hihat & clap
3. Use FL Slayer. A lot.
4. Same goes for Sytrus!
5. Presets only
6. Let every single track peak a lot so the limiter has something to do.
7. Apply Maximus to the final mix. 5 Times.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 06:16 AM Reply

And besides, what standards are we trying to create with our audio contests? High ones. NG has always been known to raise the bar with competitions, audio or otherwise. I've seen it in last year's NGADM, I've seen it in the Game Jams... It won't be fair for us to lower the bar simply because some newer users are feeling butthurt because they feel they can't join in. Purgy is right. If you want to be better, compete with the best. I've learnt my lesson on that.

Just as a tip, 1) constructive, detailed reviews, if followed, make your song a lot better, 2) how you fare depends on how much you want to improve within this short span of time. Making a contest for noobs isn't going to get anywhere, because like I said earlier, it's probably going to be a contest of mediocre submissions, one which would not only be a chore to judge, but also one which is uninspiring at best.

Heck, when I joined last year's NGADM, I was producing like a n00b. And look how far I've come.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 10:37 AM Reply

I think these kind of things could be organized by user themselves, no?

SUCK MY KICK

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 11:27 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 10:37 AM, Lachi wrote: I think these kind of things could be organized by user themselves, no?

The only quirk with organising contests is that there has to be some kind of incentive. Frontpaging isn't the best option (even though a lot of people will be looking for that option) simply because any Newgrounder will notice the drop in quality of audio submissions. Heck, that's also why we don't see many Clock Crew Flash vids and/or games unless they are REALLY outstanding. Like I said before, NG raises its bars quite a lot.

Then you have the pecuniary incentive. Or in layman's terms, prize money, however small the amount. Who is willing to dish it out?

See, a lot of people tried their luck with the NACs, the MACs, the NGADM and Dreams of Splendour (and even Quest for the Crown previously) partly because they wanted to give it a go, but also partly because of the incentive. I mean, if a user can host it, fine. As long as all these things are looked at thoroughly.

The lack of incentive is precisely what made Chronamut stop the NACs in the first place, just saying.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 11:32 AM Reply

bah, i think a userbar made by someone good will suffice. you're not in competition for money, just for learning and getting better

SUCK MY KICK

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 11:58 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 11:32 AM, Lachi wrote: bah, i think a userbar made by someone good will suffice. you're not in competition for money, just for learning and getting better

If you're talking sigs, I'll gladly help. But I still maintain that Purgy is right. The only way you can stop being a noob is by learning what people who have passed that stage do.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 11:27 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: The only way you get better is to compete against the best. You get nowhere by only competing against people who aren't any better than you are.

You might not win, but you'll gain valuable experience, which can't be said if you aren't forced to put your all into it.

*Makes rude pointing suggestion.
Yeah, what he said.

I know where you're coming from hostileburritos, and I can see why you would want it. But how can someone gauge if a user is a beginner or not. And then, if they were to excel in the winning track, won't they just be branded as "too good for the contest" and therefore a cheat?

It just raises so many questions.

BBS Signature
eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 01:08 PM Reply

It's funny because the contests we have here are noobish enough for any skill to enter. And that's the reason I joined Newgrounds.
But we can still make the contest, guys. Prizes:
smelly worn T-shirt from some guy who bought it from NG store ( you have to pay for shipping yourself)
Signature painted by a dog. (Sorry, dog couldn't upload it )
A handjob from your hand

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 01:17 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 01:08 PM, eatmeatleet wrote: It's funny because the contests we have here are noobish enough for any skill to enter. And that's the reason I joined Newgrounds.
But we can still make the contest, guys. Prizes:
smelly worn T-shirt from some guy who bought it from NG store ( you have to pay for shipping yourself)
Signature painted by a dog. (Sorry, dog couldn't upload it )
A handjob from your hand

LOL!

Noob only contest could be cool. Anyone has less than 20 fans can enter. :D I'll support this contest with a little cash-in of mine, 5 EUR. I can be noob and leet at the same time so no problem. See you on the other side.

CheckeredZebra
CheckeredZebra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 05:12 PM Reply

Idk, I was accepted as one of the NADM contestants last year. I didn't get far at all, but I was a nobody with no production training or reputation here. The exact opposite of a seasoned professional.
I just gave it a go, and was accepted. It was a really great learning experience, even if I was on the lower end of the competition. =]

Moral of the story: give your best and put it out there. You might not win, but it'll be good for you.

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Contest for noobies? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 10:31 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 05:31 AM, wandschrank wrote:
1. Start a new project in FL Studio and don't change the Limiter on the master track.
2. Only use the standard FL kick, snare, hihat & clap
3. Use FL Slayer. A lot.
4. Same goes for Sytrus!
5. Presets only
6. Let every single track peak a lot so the limiter has something to do.
7. Apply Maximus to the final mix. 5 Times.

Lol'd hard... cause I know people who've done this. You're officially my favorite poster right now.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.