New Topic Respond to this Topic
SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Reader
Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 07:39 PM Reply

Some may say that the gym leaders are easy in all of the Pokemon games, but there had to be at least one that you had a bit of trouble with. For me, I'd say Whitney from SoulSilver. That Miltank was pretty difficult to take down. It would take a while just to whittle that pokemon's health past 50%, then Whitney heals the damn thing and it goes back to body slamming my pokemon, paralyzing them.

So, what gym leader did you think was tough? Any Pokemon game counts

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 11:46 PM Reply

Considering that I only played the first two generations of Pokemon games, I would go with Claire and those goddamn dragons, especially Kingdra, who is only weak to Dragon type moves, instead of Ice. The next closest would be Whitney and that cow, in which if you don't have a high level starter, Fighting type and/or a Geodude, then you're fucked.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 03:03 AM Reply

At 2/4/13 07:39 PM, SmartyPants wrote: So, what gym leader did you think was tough? Any Pokemon game counts

Does the Pokemon League count? Cause that's the only place I've had some real trouble with. I shouldn't have, but there have been times where I didn't bother buying any revitalizing stuff, and saved the game after every gym leader, and then at the final one I pretty much had only one or two Pokemon left and no revives or the whole group poisoned and no antidotes or stupid shit like that. Same thing with all games, I like to save money and I don't have the patience to work on leveling up Pokemon before boss fights so that final fight is always stupid hard.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 04:33 AM Reply

There's two that came up here:
Whitney from Pokemon Silver/Gold (as you already mentioned)

Misty from Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Of all the first four gen gym leaders, these always gave me the most trouble. Misty mostly because that Starmie is a little bit overpowered at that stage in the game and I usually picked Charmander which means I didn't have much to bring up against it.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Chrausner
Chrausner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 05:11 AM Reply

The first one is Whitney (Normal Type) from HeartGold/SoulSilver. Ugh, that Miltank kept my PKMN in love with it and it paralyzed my PKMN at some points with its Body Slam. And everytime I got its HP to the red zone, the leader would use a super potion. I had wasted lots of revives... T_T

Another one is the Ice leader in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (forgot the name, its a female). My PKMN of choice was Torterra so it explains why I found it hard. I had to raise a bloody Machoke in order to defeat her. But it wasn't as hard as Whitney.

| Level 23 | Captain | Deity Whistle | DnB Producer
MLP: FiM Crew - Elite Guard Barracks - AF Lounge
Be my friend and you'll receive a cookie. ^____^

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 06:23 AM Reply

Brock in yellow, since Pikachu is at huge disadvantaged and the only pokemon that can be of any help is a Nidoran, which you have to level up a lot depending on the level you catch just so it can learn double kick. But after him most of the are easy.

In Silver/Gold/Crystal I would say the third gym leader (can't remember her name) since her fucking cow pokemon (again can't remember) use rollout which is the only attack move I think they should remove, because it is so fucking annoying!

In Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald I don't think anyone is particularly hard, but I guess if you're unprepared the scond gym leader can be a nuisance.

#AMAFORSEXSLAVE2014

BBS Signature
Star365
Star365
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 07:35 AM Reply

The only one I found really difficult all the time was Watson from Gen 3. I still haven't been able to beat him first try after all these years.

Eternal bliss

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 07:36 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 06:23 AM, Mismo wrote: In Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald I don't think anyone is particularly hard, but I guess if you're unprepared the scond gym leader can be a nuisance.

That third one with the Electric types was kind of a pain in the ass if I remember correctly. He had a Magneton and steel types were always difficult to deal with early on in the game.

Also, the 7th gym with the psychic types always took me a number of tries.

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 08:10 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 07:36 AM, Auz wrote:
At 2/5/13 06:23 AM, Mismo wrote: In Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald I don't think anyone is particularly hard, but I guess if you're unprepared the scond gym leader can be a nuisance.
That third one with the Electric types was kind of a pain in the ass if I remember correctly. He had a Magneton and steel types were always difficult to deal with early on in the game.

Well I usually choose mudkip as my starter pokemon, and since he is part ground type he is invulnerable against electric attacks, and he have some ground based attacks also which are super effective against electric type. So I though that gym was breeze. Also if you choose mudkip the 7th isn't that hard once you get to the leaders since their pokemons are part rock type which are both vulnerable against ground and water.

#AMAFORSEXSLAVE2014

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 09:56 AM Reply

Whitney the Normal type leader Gold/Silver

MILTANK USE ROLL OUT!!! onehitKO'd your fire type.
If not fire Miltank will use stomp repeatedly to make you flinch.
And once Roll out starts it only gets worse. (And she will heal her miltank up to twice with items and it has a berry)

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 09:58 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 04:33 AM, Auz wrote: There's two that came up here:
Whitney from Pokemon Silver/Gold (as you already mentioned)

Misty from Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Of all the first four gen gym leaders, these always gave me the most trouble. Misty mostly because that Starmie is a little bit overpowered at that stage in the game and I usually picked Charmander which means I didn't have much to bring up against it.

Pikachu from viridian forest. was always something I made sure to get. I leveled up my caterpie into a butterfree for confusion to kill Brock while I did it.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 11:56 AM Reply

Brock and Giovanni in Pokemon yellow it takes a while to level up and you are at huge disadvantages.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 02:42 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 08:10 AM, Mismo wrote:
At 2/5/13 07:36 AM, Auz wrote: That third one with the Electric types was kind of a pain in the ass if I remember correctly. He had a Magneton and steel types were always difficult to deal with early on in the game.

Well I usually choose mudkip as my starter pokemon, and since he is part ground type he is invulnerable against electric attacks, and he have some ground based attacks also which are super effective against electric type. So I though that gym was breeze. Also if you choose mudkip the 7th isn't that hard once you get to the leaders since their pokemons are part rock type which are both vulnerable against ground and water.

I usually chose Torchic which should be good against both as well (though a bit handicapped against psychic types), but the battles were still difficult usually. I suppose with Mudkip it should be easier though.

At 2/5/13 09:58 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 2/5/13 04:33 AM, Auz wrote: Of all the first four gen gym leaders, these always gave me the most trouble. Misty mostly because that Starmie is a little bit overpowered at that stage in the game and I usually picked Charmander which means I didn't have much to bring up against it.
Pikachu from viridian forest. was always something I made sure to get. I leveled up my caterpie into a butterfree for confusion to kill Brock while I did it.

Yeah, Pikachu was about the only good one available to battle Starmie, so I always got one too. However, he dies pretty easily and doesn't have access to any powerful electric attacks until very high levels (in gen 1). So it remained a struggle.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 04:02 PM Reply

Surge in Generation 1 and Whitney in Generation 2. I don't remember most of the gym leaders in 3 or 4.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 06:23 AM, Mismo wrote: Brock in yellow, since Pikachu is at huge disadvantaged and the only pokemon that can be of any help is a Nidoran, which you have to level up a lot depending on the level you catch just so it can learn double kick. But after him most of the are easy.

Yeah, this. When I was a kid, Yellow was the Pokemon game I owned and it frustrated the Hell out of me that Pikachu, the only Pokemon I really leveled up, was useless against Brock's Pokemon. I remember having to go through the long process of catching a Pidgy and then having it fight battle after battle to get to where it needed to be.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Lympha
Lympha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 06:19 PM Reply

I don't remember having a lot of trouble with any of the gym leaders as a kid, but one I did find quite difficult was leader Winona in Pokémon Sapphire. I remember obliterating the first three Pokémon, only to get my ass kicked by her tank-ass Altaria. This one had me do quite a lot of grinding, but then I remember that I put a Plusle on the daycare and my Blaziken learned Blaze Kick our the same time, so then the match got a piece of cake.

Nonetheless, that's a battle that has kind of stuck with me.

Reverting evolution.

Emlfuryoflion
Emlfuryoflion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 07:21 PM Reply

Brock's gym in pokemon yellow was the worst. Curse you Pikachu and your inability to do anything to Brock's pokemon!

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 09:58 PM Reply

I agree with both Brock and the Miltank girl. Brock is a complete pushover IF you have bulbasaur / squirtle and have an elemental attack, but if you have charmander or Pikachu or you haven't gotten an elemental move yet you are pretty much screwed. Misty is also difficult if you have Charmander and have yet to get good alternate pokemon / high level. The Miltank just plain hurt a lot and healed.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 10:28 PM Reply

Generation I:
Misty's Starmie was tough.
Lt. Surge's Raichu was tough.

The rest became easy over the course of the game.

Generation II:
Misty's Miltank, with that flawless Rollout combo that hit unless you had Double Team.
Claire's Kingdra was a pain as it was a Water/Dragon meaning neither Ice or Electric was super effective.

Generation III:
Watson's Magneton took way too long to beat. The fact it kept trying to paralyze then Shock Wave did not help.

having an Aron/Larion or Geodude/Graveler helps

Tate & Liza's Lunatone + Solrock combination was very hard to beat. Thankfully they were made a little easier in Emerald.
Wallace's Milotic, it using Recovery constantly was very annoying.

Generation IV:
Crasher Wake's team gave me some problems and was rather tough given I had Lopuuny, Gardevoir, and Prinplup on hand.
And Whitney is still tough....

in my opinions, all those gym leaders were rather tough/difficult to beat

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Lympha
Lympha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 02:05 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 07:21 PM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: Brock's gym in pokemon yellow was the worst. Curse you Pikachu and your inability to do anything to Brock's pokemon!

Well, that's obviously because you have to break the sprinklers first.

/anime reference

Reverting evolution.

simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 02:31 AM Reply

Misty's Starmie and Lt. Surge's Raichu - tough customers.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 02:55 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 07:21 PM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: Brock's gym in pokemon yellow was the worst. Curse you Pikachu and your inability to do anything to Brock's pokemon!

It was a smart design choice actually. It encourages you greatly to catch other Pokemon and get the strategy of the game down.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Emlfuryoflion
Emlfuryoflion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 06:50 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 02:55 AM, Cootie wrote:
It was a smart design choice actually. It encourages you greatly to catch other Pokemon and get the strategy of the game down.

lol thing is I remember when I was younger I still had great difficulty even with this. I was bad at managing my Pokemon as a kid playing the game so I always had these 2 or 3 super pokemon with the rest of them sucking. I remember on one of my old playthroughs going through just about the whole game with a pidgeott and 5 sucky pokemon(Somehow) then getting massacred by the first elite four trainer because of the ice.

I remember for Brock specifically I always tried to grind xp on my caterpie and turn it into a butterfree I forget why but I remembered always doing that just because I thought it was an awesome pokemon and didn't know anything at the time.

Either way I don't have good memories with facing Brock lol.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 10:31 AM Reply

I remember for Brock specifically I always tried to grind xp on my caterpie and turn it into a butterfree I forget why but I remembered always doing that just because I thought it was an awesome pokemon and didn't know anything at the time.

Either way I don't have good memories with facing Brock lol.

Because butterfree learns confusion like I said.

Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Melancholy
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Mar. 28th, 2013 @ 01:43 PM Reply

Bugsy from pokemon silver/gold/crystal because I would usually play with totodile and his bug pokemon would just destroy me.

BBS Signature
Hybrid-Of-Souls
Hybrid-Of-Souls
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Game Developer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Mar. 28th, 2013 @ 02:36 PM Reply

Back then in Ruby, probably Brawly. Him and his Bulk Up spam would end up doing a lot of damage to my guys, even Zubats, who resist fighting-type attacks twice as much.

Nowadays in my Nuzlocke runs, I'd go with Tate & LIza in Emerald. Getting to them was annoying enough. Battling against their sun abuse and Calm Mind spam was even worse. And they're all immune to ground-type attacks. Last time I took them on, I lost 4 team members.

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43
Steam ID
Join the party | V NG Archive V |

BBS Signature
xXRedNinjaXx
xXRedNinjaXx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Mar. 28th, 2013 @ 11:00 PM Reply

Well, since i've only played Red, blue, Gold, and Pearl. I'd say they're all pretty challenging, but not as difficult . So i'm not sure. . .

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 12:00 AM Reply

Whitney is definitely the hardest gym leader. After years of beating her by powerleveling I just recently realized a female Geodude cripples her Miltank.

Yeah Clair was hard too, but three Dragonairs are no match for Ice Beam.

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 12:51 AM Reply

At 3/28/13 01:43 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Bugsy from pokemon silver/gold/crystal because I would usually play with totodile and his bug pokemon would just destroy me.

Imagine him in Black 2/ White 2 at the Pokemon World Tournament; with any Pokemon knowing Fury Cutter holding Metronome (powers up an attack every turn until a different attack is selected).

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Toughest Gym Leader in Pokemon Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 02:15 AM Reply

I haven't played through the whole of Pokemon Blue yet or whatever so I wouldn't know.

Brock is super fucking easy if you level all your Pokemon to level 12/13/14 and you have a Squirtle though. Just sayin'.

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature