New Topic Respond to this Topic
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Ascap, Bmi Or Anything Else? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 02:37 PM Reply

AFTER YEARS OF CONTEMPLATING, NOW IS THE TIME FOR ME TO PICK ONE.

Well I need to be part of a Performing Rights Organization since I need to start collecting royalties on some work I've done in commercial media.

I have been reading up on ASCAP and BMI for a really really really long time, but I am still debating between the two. I am just curious what everyone here on NG has to say about either of these or any other PRO.

I still regularly submit my work for copyright but still no affiliation to a PRO yet.

**I am an American Citizen. --Yes this matters.

(What is a PRO?)

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Ascap, Bmi Or Anything Else? Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 03:29 PM Reply

There's really no difference between them. If you're planning on creating a label, or joining a label, then you'll need to sign up for the same PRO that they use. Otherwise, for all intents and purposes, they're identical.

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ascap, Bmi Or Anything Else? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 02:58 AM Reply

At 2/4/13 03:29 PM, RampantMusik wrote: There's really no difference between them. If you're planning on creating a label, or joining a label, then you'll need to sign up for the same PRO that they use. Otherwise, for all intents and purposes, they're identical.

Yeah, I am just wondering if anyone else has any experience with either... Heard both positive and negative about both -___-

OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ascap, Bmi Or Anything Else? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:22 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 02:58 AM, deadlyfishes wrote:
At 2/4/13 03:29 PM, RampantMusik wrote: There's really no difference between them. If you're planning on creating a label, or joining a label, then you'll need to sign up for the same PRO that they use. Otherwise, for all intents and purposes, they're identical.
Yeah, I am just wondering if anyone else has any experience with either... Heard both positive and negative about both -___-

I'm with BMI. I actually need to contact them about a royalty statement. My friend received one concerning a song we co-wrote that MTV used, but it never showed up on my account. Aggravating. Otherwise they seem fine to me.

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ascap, Bmi Or Anything Else? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:32 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 03:22 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote:
At 2/6/13 02:58 AM, deadlyfishes wrote:
I'm with BMI. I actually need to contact them about a royalty statement. My friend received one concerning a song we co-wrote that MTV used, but it never showed up on my account. Aggravating. Otherwise they seem fine to me.

I have heard my friend saying the same thing... He is pretty upset about it... He told me he spoke with the 3rd highest level of BMI reps or something and they still haven't given him the royalties that are long overdue.

I have some TV spots I am doing that I will be collecting royalties from but I need to side with one soon >_<

OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Ascap, Bmi Or Anything Else? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 08:35 AM Reply

SESAC is always an option, too. Although they are a FOR-PROFIT PRO (as opposed to ASCAP and BMI, which are non-profit), which means they DO take a cut of your royalties, SESAC is also much, much smaller than ASCAP and BMI. Actually, your registration has to be approved by SESAC (whereas ASCAP and BMI will let anyone in haha).

And while we're on the topic, you should register with SoundExchange, too: it's the PRO that exclusively collects online (e.g. internet radio) and satellite radio royalties.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ascap, Bmi Or Anything Else? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 08:59 AM Reply

In my experience, ASCAP has a lot more programs and gatherings related to film, tv, and classical composers. Its what sparked my decision to chose them.

BMI is where a good chunk of the vg composers end up. Maybe because its free? I dont know, ask MaestroRage or anyone from Symphony of Specters. I'm pretty sure those guys are all on BMI.