New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Audio equipment 2013-02-04 14:03:23 Reply

Does anyone know anything about it. I'm trying to get a good system together but I'm finding it difficult. I've got closed to $800 to spend. I want a pair of bookshelf speakers and whatever else I need, probably a DAC and AMP which I will connect up to my PC.
Shit's hard man. It's all basically electronics. I also don't know much about sound because I don't feel like I get enough detail off the headphones I use to read sound properly. I don't know what to expect in a good system. I don't want to be blown away but an average pair of speakers when I could have gotten better.
Can anyone help out or just share their thoughts?

BBS Signature
wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Audio equipment 2013-02-04 15:05:11 Reply

At 2/4/13 02:03 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote: Does anyone know anything about it. I'm trying to get a good system together but I'm finding it difficult. I've got closed to $800 to spend. I want a pair of bookshelf speakers and whatever else I need, probably a DAC and AMP which I will connect up to my PC.
Shit's hard man. It's all basically electronics. I also don't know much about sound because I don't feel like I get enough detail off the headphones I use to read sound properly. I don't know what to expect in a good system. I don't want to be blown away but an average pair of speakers when I could have gotten better.
Can anyone help out or just share their thoughts?

Basically, all you need is an audio interface, (active) monitors & stands for your monitors (if you don't use your table). For your budget, you can get good hardware. I'd recommend reading some pro reviews. Decent USB audio interfaces start around 100 bucks, depending on how many inputs and what else you need. Add some cables and you will still have around 600 bucks left for the monitors.

I don't know which kind of music you want to produce, but you should probably listen to some different monitors in a store instead of simply ordering something someone has recommended. Popular choices with your budget: Adam A5x, KRK RP8 RoKit G2, Yamaha HS80M.

Also make sure your room is full of garbage & you have a good listening position so your speakers sound nice.

If you buy any of the monitors mentioned above (or really anything in your price range) and you're using headphones right now, I can assure that you will be blown away by the level of detail & dimensionality.

Twune
Twune
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Audio equipment 2013-02-04 16:32:53 Reply

Are you looking for an entire recording system or just monitoring?

A note about monitors: the only thing to worry about is translation. How do your masters sound on a bunch of different playback systems? That's it.

I'm not saying that a quality monitoring setup is not important, far from it. I am saying that it's all relative. Monitors that work for me, my room, my ears, my workflow and the way my brain is wired might be different than ones that will work for you.