Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 13:27:47 Reply

Which ones have you played? Which ones did you like and were any of them better than the series that started it all?

Titles that pop up in mind are Saints Row, Total Anarchy, Total Overdose, Sleeping Dogs, Scarface, Mafia, True Crime & C.O.P., of which I've played only the latter four so far. None of them really matched up. Any more titles to add to this list, and have you tried any of them?

Star365
Star365
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 13:47:52 Reply

The best one I've played was Sleeping Dogs. I tried Saints Row but I really couldn't get into them.

Eternal bliss

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 14:12:14 Reply

At 2/4/13 01:47 PM, Star365 wrote: The best one I've played was Sleeping Dogs. I tried Saints Row but I really couldn't get into them.

Better than the original GTA?

Star365
Star365
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 14:27:31 Reply

At 2/4/13 02:12 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/4/13 01:47 PM, Star365 wrote: The best one I've played was Sleeping Dogs. I tried Saints Row but I really couldn't get into them.
Better than the original GTA?

I never played the originals. the earliest one I've played was Vice City. I have 3 but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Eternal bliss

redplus
redplus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 14:41:33 Reply

I've been playing L.A noire since i bought it from Steam sale, Its really good alternative for GTA with old 40s cars

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 14:53:14 Reply

At 2/4/13 02:27 PM, Star365 wrote: I never played the originals. the earliest one I've played was Vice City. I have 3 but I just haven't gotten around to it.

How did it compare to Vice though? VC was better than LC. They introduced some things that it's hard to live (err... play) without now, like a map to mark your location and planes that could actually fly.

At 2/4/13 02:41 PM, redplus wrote: I've been playing L.A noire since i bought it from Steam sale, Its really good alternative for GTA with old 40s cars

Sounds awesome, there are way too few old cars in most similar games. How about plot and map design, does it match up? The maps in most of the competing games are really the only downsides, they just don't have the same potential for free roaming as the originals.

satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 15:09:48 Reply

I played the Godfather. It revolves around crime, however it is not entirely a replacement. I enjoyed the olde theme and the scenes. I enjoyed the management and empire building.

(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 15:22:58 Reply

When I think of GTA alternatives, I mainly think of Just Cause 2 and Red Dead Redemption. I'd suggest you check those out.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 15:33:14 Reply

At 2/4/13 03:09 PM, satanbrain wrote: I played the Godfather. It revolves around crime, however it is not entirely a replacement. I enjoyed the olde theme and the scenes. I enjoyed the management and empire building.

Sounds kine of like the Scarface game. I tried that one btw, fun for a while but... meh, it didn't have any real continuity...

At 2/4/13 03:22 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote: When I think of GTA alternatives, I mainly think of Just Cause 2 and Red Dead Redemption. I'd suggest you check those out.

Will do! I thought Red Dead Redemption was a Western though, like GUN, apparently not so..

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 15:56:15 Reply

At 2/4/13 02:41 PM, redplus wrote: I've been playing L.A noire since i bought it from Steam sale, Its really good alternative for GTA with old 40s cars

It is NOT GTA in any sense of the imagination. Its just an unnecessarily large hub world. The end.

As far as GTA substitutes saints row 2. Im going to steal some words from Yahtzee when I say:
GTA4: Run over an old lady, watch her break her him, scream in pain and her grandchildren cry.
Saints row 2: Run over an old lady, watch her propel 30 feet into the air and knock out an albatross.
Why is saints row 2 better than 3? Watch it, I dont feel like explaining it.

Sleeping dogs I hear is nice, but the demo made it feel like it wasn't open world.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
AntiHero
AntiHero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 16:27:19 Reply

Of the ones I've played I'd say Saints Row, Red Dead Redemption, and The Godfather games. Personally I'd says Saints Row is the closest you'll get, just with more comedy but not everyone likes it. Red Dead Redemption is pretty much GTA in the Wild West, and The Godfather games are pretty much GTA in the 30s, at least from my understanding. Of course there are things that make each game unique but I'm judging them at their most basic level.

"On rainy days, I just sit there and make deals with the devil. The fun never ends..."

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 16:34:25 Reply

The sabetour, my favorite GTA alternative compared to the rest.

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 17:58:10 Reply

Sleeping Dogs.

redplus
redplus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 19:27:38 Reply

At 2/4/13 02:53 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Sounds awesome, there are way too few old cars in most similar games. How about plot and map design, does it match up? The maps in most of the competing games are really the only downsides, they just don't have the same potential for free roaming as the originals.

Plot is you're Phelps Cole who just came from vietnam war, and after that he joined LAPD. then he is solving crimes like murders, arsons and drugs.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 19:38:50 Reply

Personally prefer Saint's Row more than GTA, but I see the other side. Pretty much all would agree that GTA and SR are neck and neck and not much else comes close to them.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Writer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-04 19:40:38 Reply

I think Saints Row is a decent substitute. I just love the absolutely cartoony logic of the game, and the fact that it obviously isn't trying to be serious just magnifies that.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-05 03:07:37 Reply

At 2/4/13 07:27 PM, redplus wrote: Plot is you're Phelps Cole who just came from vietnam war, and after that he joined LAPD. then he is solving crimes like murders, arsons and drugs.

So you're on the other side of the law then. Sounds a bit like True Crime, but I guess it must be better than that one though?

At 2/4/13 04:34 PM, TheMajormel wrote: The sabetour, my favorite GTA alternative compared to the rest.

Finally a game that's not on the list. This one's... different... whole other time and age...

Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-05 06:16:27 Reply

Sleeping Dogs is fantastic, and all the collectibles can be shown on the map. The combat is great as well, you can stay in slo-mo so long as you go for headshots. When you finish the story you get a gold desert eagle at every safe house which is a one hit kill except on SWAT guys. But yeah, definitely worth playing.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
redplus
redplus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-05 07:51:51 Reply

At 2/5/13 03:07 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: So you're on the other side of the law then. Sounds a bit like True Crime, but I guess it must be better than that one though?

I have never played True Grime, so i dont know

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-05 08:47:44 Reply

Saints Row I think set the bar for funny good GTA clones.

Mafia set the bar for Mafia games.

The demo of Sleeping dogs looked good but I am to busy buying other cheaper games to save some up and buy Sleeping Dogs. Also @sweet21 the demo made it seem like an action game with karate elements.

I've played the original Just Cause on PS2. The tropical islands looked nice for PS2 and I love just grabbing onto a car and opening my parachute and just floating around the islands.

I've played the Godfather game and you gotta earn a lot of money to buy clothes on that game. I took over about 5 business and got about 500 dollars each. I ended up getting 1000 bucks a day after the family took their cut. It's a good game but getting money is hard at first.

The Saboteur was good. The system of inspiring France was cool. The music (a.k.a. the French accordion was beautiful). The Nazis when in large groups can be heard to take down so I'm glad you can run fast.

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
Ogaaboga
Ogaaboga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-05 10:38:59 Reply

saints row the third was the best for sure

I make gaming videos
youtube.com/ogaaboga

Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-05 11:28:19 Reply

Although it has been mentioned numerous time before in this thread I have to say that Saints Row (preferably 2) is the best alternative if still want that over the top action violence comedy that the older GTA games had.

#AMAFORSEXSLAVE2014

BBS Signature
scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-05 17:35:32 Reply

The only other GTA Alternative I have played was Red Dead Redemption, but it wasn't as good as GTA5. Saints Row: The Third looks good, I want it.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-05 18:09:16 Reply

I consider SimCopter and Streets of SimCity to be original inspirations for the GTA franchise.

Basically, they're both sandbox games where you do (random) missions in a seamless 3D city environment.

Lympha
Lympha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-05 18:11:43 Reply

The best GTA alternative is in my opinion Sleeping Dogs. I played Saints Row: The Third and I really love that game, I just don't think it suits as well as an alternative for GTA as Sleeping Dogs does. In my opinion Sleeping Dogs is a bit like GTA with refined combat, put in a new jacket. Though I feel as if the open world in GTA is more enjoyable and kind of stands out.

Reverting evolution.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-08 03:16:58 Reply

At 2/5/13 06:09 PM, Painbringer wrote: I consider SimCopter and Streets of SimCity to be original inspirations for the GTA franchise.

I hadn't heard of either of those. Good mention, will try those out..

At 2/5/13 07:51 AM, redplus wrote: I have never played True Grime, so i dont know

No worries. You're not missing out. :/

At 2/4/13 03:56 PM, sweet21 wrote: It is NOT GTA in any sense of the imagination. Its just an unnecessarily large hub world. The end.

No cars? No free roaming? No missions? If you say so...

Saints row 2: Run over an old lady, watch her propel 30 feet into the air and knock out an albatross.

Sounds like the game has the same rag-doll physics as the ones they implemented in GTA 4, heh. Personally I felt 4 made it a little extreme, it's almost like Flatout where you try to fly as far as possible after each crash, or make other people fly, it's just a bit ridiculous.

At 2/4/13 04:27 PM, AntiHero wrote: Red Dead Redemption is pretty much GTA in the Wild West

Meaning, no vehicles? That doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy then. Cars are one of the main things about the GTA series. Apart from crime and stuff...

The Godfather games are pretty much GTA in the 30s, at least from my understanding. Of course there are things that make each game unique but I'm judging them at their most basic level.

No fast cars! ARGH!

redplus
redplus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-08 09:24:43 Reply

At 2/8/13 03:16 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/4/13 03:56 PM, sweet21 wrote: It is NOT GTA in any sense of the imagination. Its just an unnecessarily large hub world. The end.

yes there is all of those

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-08 10:31:13 Reply

I'm liking Sleeping Dogs more than the GTA games right now. And I definitely thought Saints Row 2 and 3 were far better than GTA IV.

Just Cause 2 seems really cool. I've only played the demo, though. But I did play the demo several times.

And I honestly think Red Dead Redemption beats all the GTA games.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-08 12:55:37 Reply

At 2/8/13 09:24 AM, redplus wrote:
At 2/8/13 03:16 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
yes there is all of those

There is but why would you want to? Theres nothing to do in the open world, no random events, you cant climb anything, you cant even use your gun and running over civilians is an instant game over if you go over the designated 'fun' level.
Nothing happens. Its just boring.
You cant even do the classic sandbox trick of finding the highest point in the city and jumping off of it, or hurling yourself into the ocean.

But this is because L.A. noire IS NOT A GTA CLONE/GAME or whatever-the-fuck. If you expect that you're severely mistaken and have clearly never ever done your research. L.A. noire is a detective game, so you play as a cop and as a cop you cant perform genocide.
Its a point and click game where you find evidence, interrogate people and gather evidence. And occasionally gather more evidence. Its more akin to Pheonix Wright than GTA.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
redplus
redplus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Best Gta Alternative 2013-02-08 13:43:28 Reply

At 2/8/13 12:55 PM, sweet21 wrote: Its a point and click game where you find evidence, interrogate people and gather evidence. And occasionally gather more evidence. Its more akin to Pheonix Wright than GTA.

Yeah you got a point