00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

iOS update, writing contest, voting

15,231 Views | 29 Replies
Respond to this Topic

If you have an iPhone or iPad, try loading up NG and clicking a movie on the front page. You should notice two things:

1) One click now takes you directly to the content, instead of first showing you the rollover info.

2) The video will actually play! This won't be 100% perfect every day; it is based on having a video alternative for the movie. The goal is to always have one.

I forgot to mention that it is FEBRUARY and that means MONTHLY VOTING TIME! Check your account page to see if you are in the pool to select the Best of January.

If you didn't read any front page news this past week, you have a lot to catch up on:

Mike launched Swivel for best ever SWF to video conversion.

Jim launched the Collabinator for talent match-making.

Rob launched feeds for blog and review replies.

It was a good week and more excitement is planned for this week too!

There is a new Writing Contest! the theme is Exploratory Genre Writing.

Also check out Appsro's Kickstarter for Doraleous and Associates! It's a big project and is already blazing towards the goal.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 12:12:15

At 2/4/13 12:08 PM, TomFulp wrote:
It was a good week and more excitement is planned for this week too!

Your game is finally coming out this week, right Tom? I really don't think my heart could take another Pico 2.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 12:21:57

Is this writing contest foreshadowing a new aqua colored portal?

iOS update, writing contest, voting

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 12:25:58

Out of all the things mentioned I think I like the feed stuff the most.
It makes it a hell of a lot easier to know when people review your stuff, when people reply to comments on their news posts, and so on and so forth.

Really looking forward to any and all new features you add onto the site and whatnot.

Also everyone vote! o:

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 12:26:03

I was selected for January voting and I did it Tom. if you want to get more people to vote monthly submissions maybe give a incentive like 50 EXP for their level or something, and only make it available to highly active members.

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 12:40:07

Unpossed by iPhones or iPads as I am, I guess I won't notice any differences. It is good the news though.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 12:51:55

At 2/4/13 12:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: It was a good week and more excitement is planned for this week too!

Uh, that sounds good.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 13:21:22

At 2/4/13 12:26 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: I was selected for January voting and I did it Tom. if you want to get more people to vote monthly submissions maybe give a incentive like 50 EXP for their level or something, and only make it available to highly active members.

Dang, that would be totally wizard!

Anywho, I voted already!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 13:35:27

I can see newgrounds content on my ipod touch....what kind of socerry is this Tom!?

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 13:55:33

Just tried some videos on my iphone, it works great!

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 14:04:55

I remember Luis saying he was (planning on) working on a mobile version of NG, but that it would be more forum and blog-focused. Now it can have video too :D

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 14:39:54

At 2/4/13 12:21 PM, Squidbit wrote: Is this writing contest foreshadowing a new aqua colored portal?

Damn, that would be nice. I'm still expecting it to come out maybe later this year or 2014 though; we've gotten so many new features lately! A new Portal is a TON of work! And can't wait to see your game, Tom!

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 15:09:37

Well this is awesome for that feature and it's great!

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 15:19:06

At 2/4/13 12:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you have an iPhone or iPad, try loading up NG and clicking a movie on the front page. You should notice two things:

2013 has been a great year for Newgrounds so far and I truly can't wait to see how amazing this year will be for all of us the members of Newgrounds.

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 15:40:24

This is great! But I got one question Tom: are we gonna be able to watch the older flash animations on our ios devices soon? (Examples: Tankmen .5, metal gear awesome)

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 16:48:48

Interesting idea for a contest, it spikes my interest, would enjoy giving it a shot.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 16:51:11

At 2/4/13 03:40 PM, OrgasmSquid wrote: This is great! But I got one question Tom: are we gonna be able to watch the older flash animations on our ios devices soon? (Examples: Tankmen .5, metal gear awesome)

We're chipping away at the older stuff so the best of it should be covered at least!

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 17:37:44

Should be worth noting that this works on Android phones too (Chrome doesn't support Flash). It works like magic on my Galaxy S3

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 20:52:09

voted

| Site | Steam |

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 23:47:40

Ive been trying to vote, but i keep having problems.

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-04 23:52:17

Is the goal really to covert the thousands of movies on NG to mobile-ready video? That sounds like a lot of work.

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-05 00:26:15

2013 is going to be a strong year for ng

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-05 00:52:45

Whoa, all these features coming out are great! It truly has been a good week. I can't believe I'm watching featured videos on my iPhone without it telling me "You don't have Flash Player installed".

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-05 06:33:26

At 2/5/13 12:45 AM, NewShape wrote: Is actionscript going to be totally stamped out for future submissions?
I doubt you can change the already existing games to HTML5, although there is no reason why Adobe couldn't build something like that.

There aren't any plans to drop support for SWF uploads, down the road we could convert the best animations to 4K resolution thanks to the vector source art. I would like to see people upload MP4 versions of their stuff, though, so that it can be available on all platforms. People may also want to default to the video version since it streams, has a scrubber and can run better on computers that don't process SWF well. I think more people will want to default to a video version as we add more options, such as pre-roll videos and promo links at the end of the videos.

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-05 09:32:09

Newgrounds doesn't stop moving forward with cool ideas and genuine innovation, and these last two months were a very critical example. Although don't own an apple device, I must say I'm glad for the motto "the problem of the future, today!" Well, at least the future part. Keep moving forward, Ng!

Audio portal reviews : A detailed discussion and study

Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-05 15:03:30

Thanks guys, this helps a lot for future projects.

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-05 16:49:29

I'm psyched that you guys are further developing the mobile site.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-06 03:51:50

At 2/5/13 09:49 PM, Ma1achi wrote: nice

indeed

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-08 01:25:29

I just watched a flash movie on my iphone - this is awesome!!

Is there a reason it played twice, back-to-back?

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to iOS update, writing contest, voting 2013-02-11 01:57:20

At 2/4/13 12:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you have an iPhone or iPad, try loading up NG and clicking a movie on the front page. You should notice two things:

1) One click now takes you directly to the content, instead of first showing you the rollover info.

2) The video will actually play! This won't be 100% perfect every day; it is based on having a video alternative for the movie. The goal is to always have one.

is this what's causing movies to autoplay on chrome, despite having every single autoplay option turned off?