FooRight
FooRight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 00:24:52 Reply

At 2/4/13 10:51 PM, Bosa wrote:
At 2/4/13 10:41 PM, FooRight wrote: I have no quarrel with the outcome of anyone's score. I have genuine curiosity as to how these were literally scored; the process; what 1 point in each category is equivalent to, etc..
You can score anywhere from 0-100 in each category. I judged based on each performance under each certain category. I went through the list of entrees, judging each one carefully. I did not add up the total scores until all the categories for all the submissions were scored.

I believe this process worked well because it was more precise and structured than me just going and picking my favorite songs. Judging each category prevented favoritism quite well enough.

Were you satisfied with the results of the contest?

To better clarify what I'm trying to ask I'll just use an example: one of the categories is Originality, what methodology is used to determine what is truly original? (i.e., least used genre)

The results were fine by me. And I think the contest is fitting to your goal of giving people incentive and motivation to really try their hardest. So, overall it was well done.

I enjoyed participating!

P.S.
Didn't mean to stir up feathers with the idea that subjectivity is impossible to eliminate.

Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 00:49:18 Reply

At 2/5/13 12:24 AM, FooRight wrote: To better clarify what I'm trying to ask I'll just use an example: one of the categories is Originality, what methodology is used to determine what is truly original? (i.e., least used genre)

Definition of original is: anything created or presented for the first time, or inventive. If you have anymore questions or concerns, I'm sure there will be plenty of people around here who will be happy to help you.

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
FooRight
FooRight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 01:29:50 Reply

:At 2/5/13 12:49 AM, Bosa wrote:
:: Definition of original is: anything created or presented for the first time, or inventive. If you have anymore questions or concerns, I'm sure there will be plenty of people around here who will be happy to help you.

It was the first time I had heard any of these inventive pieces ;)

I suppose I'm stretching our conversation into something that is worth sharing as a primary topic sometime in the Audio Forum.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 01:46:14 Reply

At 2/5/13 01:29 AM, FooRight wrote:
At 2/5/13 12:49 AM, Bosa wrote: Definition of original is: anything created or presented for the first time, or inventive. If you have anymore questions or concerns, I'm sure there will be plenty of people around here who will be happy to help you.

I suppose I'm stretching our conversation into something that is worth sharing as a primary topic sometime in the Audio Forum.

Still not sure I understand the contest. It was supposed to be an ultimate representation of yourself, but we were judged on originality, which doesn't make sense considering that shouldn't matter if we're presenting ourselves. Not saying I don't agree with the results, it's just that certain genres may not seem as original as others, but that wasn't the point of the contest.

In any case congratulations to the winners!

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 01:53:55 Reply

At 2/5/13 01:46 AM, Envy wrote:
At 2/5/13 01:29 AM, FooRight wrote:
At 2/5/13 12:49 AM, Bosa wrote: Definition of original is: anything created or presented for the first time, or inventive. If you have anymore questions or concerns, I'm sure there will be plenty of people around here who will be happy to help you.

Still not sure I understand the contest. It was supposed to be an ultimate representation of yourself, but we were judged on originality, which doesn't make sense considering that shouldn't matter if we're presenting ourselves. Not saying I don't agree with the results, it's just that certain genres may not seem as original as others, but that wasn't the point of the contest.

In other words, I could have recorded myself throwing spoons at a wall while a hawk was flying around my room and that should have received 100 originality, but how would that represent myself at all?

Wat

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 01:57:31 Reply

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, was just adding my 2 cents. Congrats again! and congrats for a well run contest!

Wat

DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 02:08:37 Reply

At 2/5/13 01:57 AM, Envy wrote: Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, was just adding my 2 cents. Congrats again! and congrats for a well run contest!

You sir, just earned my full respect ^.^

stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 02:20:20 Reply

At 2/5/13 02:13 AM, Cabbster wrote: Lol what a biased whack piece of shit competition. Congrats on not telling us that your fetish is homosexual orchestral music with gay fairy sound effects. Peace out faggot. Waste of my time.

Yeah that was really unnecessary, very unprofessional unprofessional and hateful. Watch what you say man, you are making a bad name for yourself for your future by saying that. Just making it harder for you to get to the top

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 02:21:52 Reply

Yeah that was really unnecessary, very unprofessional unprofessional and hateful. Watch what you say man, you are making a bad name for yourself for your future by saying that. Just making it harder for you to get to the top

Sorry for the double post... Meant to say unprofessional only once. Don't know how I messed that up.

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 02:33:58 Reply

At 2/5/13 02:13 AM, Cabbster wrote: Lol what a biased whack piece of shit competition. Congrats on not telling us that your fetish is homosexual orchestral music with gay fairy sound effects. Peace out faggot. Waste of my time.

Nice to know you feel that way, now to time out you go, sore loser.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 04:08:09 Reply

At 2/5/13 02:13 AM, Cabbster wrote: Congrats on not telling us that your fetish is homosexual orchestral music with gay fairy sound effects.

HAHA!

Brilliant.

Chrausner
Chrausner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 04:49:44 Reply

LMAO! #BestPost2013

Anyway, congrats to Buoy, Skye and all the rest!

| Level 23 | Captain | Deity Whistle | DnB Producer
MLP: FiM Crew - Elite Guard Barracks - AF Lounge
Be my friend and you'll receive a cookie. ^____^

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 06:00:19 Reply

I had understood that the premise of this competition was not to compete with others but to compete with oneself and that our submissions would be judged, at least to an extent, on how much effort was put into improving and going beyond our usual compositions.
In fact that's the only reason I took part, if you remember, that the premise of how it would be judged seemed less like a competition and more like a challenge for each individual.

In that respect I feel a little mislead. I'm not sore about not being number 1 or whatever, this is genuine (in fact, by how I had understood it probably would have come lower down in the rankings if anything). I just don't think I would have taken part if I had known it would be judged this way since I have a personal philosophy against competition based around art as creativity is completely subjective and not something you can measure or fully understand.

:)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 06:09:50 Reply

Weeeeell, someone's going to be #foreveralone pretty soon!

AMDG ✝

Reflection for this Advent: Jesus, Mary and Joseph were asylum-seekers.
Currently in progress: INI:FLIPSWITCH

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 07:20:39 Reply

At 2/4/13 03:50 PM, Bosa wrote: The top 6 will be front paged instead of the top 4. I hope you all enjoy the publicity!

Brother Berkley has seen the results, and he is pleased.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

I suddenly feel much better about 6th place :)

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 07:22:25 Reply

At 2/5/13 07:20 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote:
At 2/4/13 03:50 PM, Bosa wrote: The top 6 will be front paged instead of the top 4. I hope you all enjoy the publicity!

Brother Berkley has seen the results, and he is pleased.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

*TIGHT SQUISHY HUG*
Yaaaay, you're going to be frontpaged too~

AMDG ✝

Reflection for this Advent: Jesus, Mary and Joseph were asylum-seekers.
Currently in progress: INI:FLIPSWITCH

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 08:13:07 Reply

At 2/5/13 01:46 AM, Envy wrote: Still not sure I understand the contest. It was supposed to be an ultimate representation of yourself, but we were judged on originality, which doesn't make sense considering that shouldn't matter if we're presenting ourselves. Not saying I don't agree with the results, it's just that certain genres may not seem as original as others, but that wasn't the point of the contest.

So what you all are saying is.. You'd rather contests in the future be judged under different categories?

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 09:34:21 Reply

Now I have a sudden craving for "homosexual orchestral music with gay fairy sound effects".

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 09:52:35 Reply

At 2/5/13 09:34 AM, SourJovis wrote: Now I have a sudden craving for "homosexual orchestral music with gay fairy sound effects".

That should be a genre on NG for when you submit audio.
Someone high up, make it happen!

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 10:24:04 Reply

At 2/5/13 08:13 AM, Bosa wrote:
At 2/5/13 01:46 AM, Envy wrote: Still not sure I understand the contest. It was supposed to be an ultimate representation of yourself, but we were judged on originality, which doesn't make sense considering that shouldn't matter if we're presenting ourselves. Not saying I don't agree with the results, it's just that certain genres may not seem as original as others, but that wasn't the point of the contest.

So what you all are saying is.. You'd rather contests in the future be judged under different categories?

Nono, it was judged fine and you did a fantastic job (I understand it was probably a lot of work to organize/judge etc etc)

It was just a thought I had. I'm not trying to take away anything from the winners or from the competition like that guy way up there ^^^^ so don't get me wrong on what I said. I had a lot of fun making my entry, and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Again I didn't want to rustle any feathers, so I apologize if that's how it sounded.

Wat

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 10:35:37 Reply

At 2/5/13 09:52 AM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 2/5/13 09:34 AM, SourJovis wrote: Now I have a sudden craving for "homosexual orchestral music with gay fairy sound effects".
That should be a genre on NG for when you submit audio.
Someone high up, make it happen!

Yeah I hope so. If someone starts a competition with that theme, maybe we'll end up with enough songs to make it a genre. I'm sure to get some high ranking in that competition :p Unless I have to host it myself. But then I'll just enter under my pseudonym Gaybi Van Dyke.

BBS Signature
charlie-sheening
charlie-sheening
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 12:53:45 Reply

This was a really fun contest. I fully expected to get scored worse than ~middle. We just wanted to participate (mine was actually a collab) to have fun, it was a fun challenge. It seems like there was a lot of effort to make the judging as objective as possible. The only thing I would give as constructive feedback would be to maybe include multiple judges next time. Averaging the approach used can be more accurate. But no complaints, it was fun and thanks for running this.

I really enjoyed the submissions I heard. Congrats to the frontpagers and thanks to everyone who participated

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 12:57:29 Reply

At 2/4/13 10:37 PM, Bosa wrote: You must understand I am not obligated to these contests. I do these in order to promote you and help get the audio community moving forward. I'm not focusing on regulation and winners; I'm focusing on helping both new and old artists grow.

And it works in my opinion. I've been adding loads of tracks and people to my fav list! Some stunning talent!

And of course...
Congratulations to the winners!!!! You all work very hard and deserve your high spots. Absolutely fantabulous tracks.

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 17:23:41 Reply

At 2/4/13 04:49 PM, Step wrote: GREAT job to the winners. This was a FANTASTIC contest, and some great music came out of it.

At 2/4/13 12:58 PM, Buoy wrote: omg Skye we won!! We should get married now
In that case, you'll need this.

Where do you get these melodious sounds???

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 17:57:22 Reply

At 2/5/13 01:53 AM, Envy wrote:
In other words, I could have recorded myself throwing spoons at a wall while a hawk was flying around my room and that should have received 100 originality, but how would that represent myself at all?

giggity

You people wrote some pretty amazing stuff. Gratz to everybody!

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 18:14:19 Reply

I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or you mean it.

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 19:24:29 Reply

At 2/5/13 07:20 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote:

But your song for this contest was already featured on the front page before this was decided so this changes nothing for you. (or am I mistaken?)

BBS Signature
wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 19:32:56 Reply

I would absolutely love to hear that. Really.

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 19:59:46 Reply

At 2/5/13 07:32 PM, wandschrank wrote:
I would absolutely love to hear that. Really.

Hmm yes. Me too. And I think it would in fact represent Envy on a subconsious level. I could never have come up with that. If I want to create something original, I record someone in a wheelchair taking the cargo elevator of the ikea through the roof. I conclude it's a beautiful day. Lots of new genres are born.

BBS Signature
wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Final Results 2013-02-05 20:05:33 Reply

Hmm yes. Me too. And I think it would in fact represent Envy on a subconsious level. I could never have come up with that. If I want to create something original, I record someone in a wheelchair taking the cargo elevator of the ikea through the roof. I conclude it's a beautiful day. Lots of new genres are born.

Somehow I'd also love to hear THAT. Hm. So much originality.